Plates Wallpaper + Why Limited Color Palettes Can Work

This wallpaper is inspired by vintage blue tableware and has a uniquely Dutch vibe, doesn’t it? It’s designed and printed by Studio Ditte in the Netherlands and sold in stores worldwide, I found it today over at Catkin Collection. I’ve blogged about Studio Ditte before (here) but this is their latest pattern and I just love it — it’s so fresh and clean.

I fancy the different scenes and also the various shades of blue, don’t you? The birds and the windmills are very sweet. I find it so interesting to see products that stick to very limited color palette yet look amazing and inspirational. And I often wondered why that is – how can a product that is basically just blue (and white) be so captivating? If you were to create a blue and white room, would it equally charm you or?

After much thought I’ve come to realize that is really has to do with tints and tones of that color and how well you use them. It’s not about using a single tone – say indigo blue – and mixing it with lots of white and putting a room together. In a room, there is also lighting and texture that come into play to create a gorgeous space with a limited palette. But it’s really about using different tints and tones of blue, often ranging from light to dark, to add visual interest, depth and of course, personality and life.

Lots of people fear a limited palette – it’s almost suffocating to them to imagine using only a few colors in a room. Everyone is different, and since decorating is subjective, it’s all about what works for you personally. Some people like to put labels on others and feel that if they don’t use tons of color they really don’t have a good understanding of color or are “cop outs”, meaning they are just using it as some strange excuse for being unable to successfully marry colors into a environment for a cohesive look. Like they can’t — so they just fall back on white or beige because they don’t know how to work with color, for example. I don’t buy into that. We decorate using colors that we love – even if that means using color in small doses. We are all so unique, some can live in neutral spaces and others simply cannot, there is no wrong or right.

Wait.

There is a wrong – wrong is when you decorate according to what you think others want you to express or share or pretend to be and not according to who you truly are, so wrong decorating is to deny yourself the freedom of displaying your authentic expression of self in your home – no matter how “white” or “neutral” or “colorful” or “pastel” that is may be. It’s your home, your way.

I don’t find a limited palette suffocating, in some ways for me it is total freedom because the less visual stimulation in my, say work space, the more the images and ideas in my head can rise to the top and be freed and transformed into actual work.

When my surroundings are too stimulating with tons of bright, energetic colors and patterns all around, my brain freezes and I can’t accomplish much. I was never the kid that thrived in primary colored classrooms. I thrived in art class with the white walls, art wall with taped works pinned up, smell of clay and paint (very earthy and exciting to me), the large wooden work tables, the potter’s wheel in the corner… I still remember each art room that I had at school since grade school with absolute clarity. I thrived in such spaces where we had less clutter around us, when everything was in its out container, and where color and pattern was placed in very specific locations and not scattered everywhere but then when you did find that location, it was a bit chaotic — randomly tacked and taped things on walls, for instance — but altogether on a single wall. Which made me realize that I thrive under situations that could be described as organized but also chaotic – but mostly organized chaos. I wouldn’t want everything neat and in a row, paints can all be thrown into a big bucket without rhyme or reason, but they still all need to be in that one big bucket.

Something about a lot of white space around, or neutrals with splashes of color here and then, definitely works for me in my home office as an adult, too. However, a wallpaper like this one shown above would be fun in a dining room on one wall (or on the ceiling with deep indigo walls and crisp white moldings!) or in the kitchen — because in those places I’m social and I want to feel energetic so strong graphics as a focal point – for instance a wall with this paper behind my stove, could be absolutely perfect, quirky and fun.

I wonder if you think like I do when you see things that you are naturally drawn to – do you intentionally try to figure out what about it works or where in your home you could imagine enjoying it, or do you simply like it but could never imagine living with it? For me, I love the blue porcelain plates wallpaper by Studio Ditte and could absolutely use it in a small dose somewhere in my home but definitely not in my office space!

(images: studio ditte)

Posted by decor8 in walls on May 17, 2011

1. Fiona Humberstone commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 1:16pm

Holly I love this post! I have a passion for vintage china and whilst I’m not certain I could be this restrained in terms of colour (I LOVE colour) I am so drawn to the wallpaper.
    Fiona Humberstone´s last blog post ..Five Minutes to Focus- What’s your story

2. Tania commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 1:45pm

I recognise a few of my plates – beautiful! I also love the crispness of just the white and blue!
    Tania´s last blog post ..Strawberries and roses

3. Kerri@driftwood-interiors commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 1:49pm

Great post Holly, thank you! I love blue and white, so much so that blue and white china is a constant in my artwork. This wallpaper is gorgeous and combining different shades of blue is always a winner in my book. Thanks for the heads up! K
    Kerri@driftwood-interiors´s last blog post ..Shannon Fricke workshop

4. Shalini commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 2:03pm

You blog is always tons of inspiration, today I specially like the silver tones against blue and white pattern. I’ll experiment with that combination now :)
    Thanks…

5. Ariana commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 2:05pm

I love the way that you describe the process of decorating, and particularly this bit: “wrong is when you decorate according to what you think others want you to express or share or pretend to be and not according to who you truly are, so wrong decorating is to deny yourself the freedom of displaying your authentic expression of self in your home.”
    Very well said! I generally just find what I gravitate toward, what makes me feel good when I look at it, and find a way to incorporate it into my space. This is why I cannot imagine being a designer for other people, since it is so very personal. I have a lot of admiration for professionals who gracefully capture and interpret their clients’ tastes into their home designs.
    Ariana´s last blog post ..Daily Photo- Lunchtime With a Friend

6. juliette commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 2:57pm

I couldn’t agree more. I think there is a place for certain things and certain styles…and they go with certain people who’s preferences match those things. Tina Fussell’s been talking about white on white over on her blog and we’ve exchanged some comments/email over it. It’s totally subjective, but rooms do need to find their balance -sometimes in color, sometimes in texture, etc. The fact that we can all have our own way of doing it makes it that much more exciting!

Personally, I adore monochromatic rooms. Love them! Little sprigs of accent color shine all the more in a monochromatic room and it makes me chill out. But I’ve also become a pattern addict, so while I agree with you that this wallpaper is gorgeous, I would rather see it perking up my kitchen, pantry, or half bath rather than putting me into overdrive in my office!
    juliette´s last blog post ..5 Reasons Why I Read Your Blog

7. Allison Egan commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 3:59pm

So great! I am always a total sucker for blue and white! just so beautiful and classic but still fresh!
    xo Allison

Spicer + Bank

Allison Egan´s last blog post ..Australian Style Icon- Marion Hall Best

8. Jess @ House Sweet Home commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 4:15pm

Great post! I totally agree. Very interesting wallpaper- I was totally tricked at first!

9. Giulia commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 4:22pm

I love tone on tone palette and this post featuring a lot of blue just made me smile. I wrote two posts last week about using blue in decorating…It seems to be my go to colour. I gathered a bunch of blue inspirational shots of interiours and I think monochromatic really works here.

Giulia´s last blog post ..One photo a week – 20-52

10. Jadyn commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 4:28pm

I am a Dutch expat living in Canada and I definitely find myself drawn to things like this that show a strong Dutch aesthetic and playfulness in its design. I haven’t incorporated much of it in my home but would like to add more. (One thing I’ve done was wrap the tips of a chandelier, where the light bulb is screwed into, in Dutch wrapping paper after removing the shades and it makes me smile.)

I also like to analyze why I am drawn to certain things. I think I figured out that I like my environment to feel very layered (although on purpose and organized) and in a way that feels like I have a lot to look at. There also has to be enough white and space that I feel like I can think. Thanks for another thought provoking post!
    Jadyn´s last blog post ..Lovely Monday- Layered Living Rooms

11. Ruthie Staalsen commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 4:47pm

Gorgeous post. Thanks for your inspiration!
    Ruthie Staalsen´s last blog post ..Freshen up your stiff dining rooms and get people talking

12. kat commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 6:36pm

wow…i would not have expected to like that wallpaper but it’s so different that it’s very cool!!

13. Lauren commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 7:32pm

Ahhh! You totally just made my day!

I collect antique blue + white plates so I am definitely drawn to this fabulous wallpaper! It’s absolutely stunning!
    Lauren´s last blog post ..Oldest Dearest

14. Barbara Loyd commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 8:37pm

This wallpaper is wonderful and I agree about using it in a special spot in small quantity. Do you know if it is available in the United States? Limited color is a topic I will be discussing on my blog in the future. Would you mind if I refer to your post?
    Barbara Loyd´s last blog post ..The Political Properties of Purple

15. hena tayeb commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 10:25pm

Lovely. The wallpaper is so lifelike.. I personally like a limited color palette. I rarely use more than three colors in a room.
    hena tayeb´s last blog post ..Some Blossoms and Mothers Day

16. Katie Truelove commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 11:50pm

I also love the wallpaper but probably wouldn’t cover a room in it– I love a neutral palette that I can change often:)
    Katie Truelove´s last blog post ..Remembering sunny days in Brooklyn…last week I thought

17. Amelia@ Wind Chimes commented
    May 18th, 2011 at 4:31am

This is perfect for my taste. I love how the different shades of the blue hues affect the white background.

I totally agree with you Holly. I always decorate, redecorate, and accessorize my house (especially my bedroom) according to my own creativity and expression. I don’t care what others might think about it. As long as I’m happy with my design, I don’t have to please other people.
    Amelia@ Wind Chimes´s last blog post ..Daddies- Surprise Your Wives with Gorgeous Gardens

18. kendal croix commented
    May 18th, 2011 at 4:37am

very pretty, but a wall of real plates would be even cooler.
    kendal croix´s last blog post ..DANNIJO

19. Neena commented
    May 18th, 2011 at 5:58am

I love your point about “wrong is when you decorate according to what you think others want you to express …..”.

So true!

But the funny thing is that tastes do change – and what is right for you now, just might not work for you tomorrow.

I love the blue and white palette – have used those tones in my bedroom for too many years to count.

And now, even though I still like it – it is time for a change.
    Neena´s last blog post ..Home Office Organizers

20. meagan commented
    May 18th, 2011 at 10:57am

Ohhh I adore plate collections and sticking with one colour can have such a powerful effect…although I must say it would be counter intuitive for moi! I always just grab what I like rather than being able to stick to one colour. With my budget it might take me a year to slowly collect enough plates in one colour like that… Lovely though!
    Meagan, Row House Nest
    meagan´s last blog post ..Wondrous Wednesday’s! DIY Gems of the Week

21. Megan commented
    May 18th, 2011 at 4:17pm

Coming from a textile design background, I really appreciate this range. I can also imagine it in a more neutral colour way – perhaps sepia and greige tones – that could pull back on the busyness of the design, but still keep it conceptually interesting. It reminds me of that Chinese Ming vase print which emerges every so often – there is something quite contradictory about a ceramic product reproduced on a wallpaper or textile.
    Megan´s last blog post ..On Trend- pleated floor length skirts

22. Shell commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 3:58pm

The plate wallpaper is pretty. I probably decorate maybe half a room with the wallpaper and the other half in a soft white. I like bright colors..I do feel you have to do with some kind of flow that it doesn’t jar the senses.
    As for blue, in my bedroom. I painted the walls two colors of blue. One a baby blue and the other, a marine blue. It gives my bedroom a healing and beautiful feel to it.
    Shell´s last blog post ..Flowering Moon

23. Nicole Cammorata commented
    May 23rd, 2011 at 9:17pm

I adore this wallpaper! Having grown up with an antique collector for a mother, this paper makes me long for home, where my mother has covered a wall with real flow-blue plates. What a great idea for wall paper!

24. Leon commented
    July 28th, 2011 at 5:45pm

Loving the idea of a mono color wall covering. That would be great as a feature wall, with the rest of the room plain in a plain neutral color. Great Design!