Shop Tours

Vancouver Welcomes Anthropologie

May 17, 2011

I’m so happy to see more Anthropologie stores moving into other parts of the world. I know my Australian friends are begging to have one down under, and that little me here in Germany cannot WAIT for one to open in hopefully Hamburg or Berlin at some point – my fingers are crossed! And then the Canadians… tempted right over the border for so long, poor things! They waited long enough so now that Anthro has moved into the land of the infamous “eh?” I am so happy for my friends there.

Vancouver Welcomes Anthropologie

This is their fifth store in Canada and Vancouver was a great choice because my friend Julie Cove lives nearby and I know she’ll keep them in business. ;) Seriously, so many stylish people live in Vancouver and neighboring areas, like Vancouver Island, that I’m sure they are just tickled pink having a new Anthro shop nearby. I know blogger and photographer Amanda Gilligan from Mocking Bird is. In fact, she asked me if she could shoot the store on opening night for decor8 (and for her own blog, of course) and I told her to go for it! Would you like to see some glimpses of the store?

Vancouver Welcomes Anthropologie

Vancouver Welcomes Anthropologie

I love that bold kelly green wall color…

Vancouver Welcomes Anthropologie

Aren’t those wooden pendants the best? Anyone know who designs them? I also love the tabletop, it looks like a painting and so I wonder if it’s a table design by the amazing Leslie Oschmann of Swarm in Amsterdam? Hmmm.

Vancouver Welcomes Anthropologie

I love seeing magnetic timers-as-art. Fun!

Vancouver Welcomes Anthropologie

By the way, Amanda took lots of shots of my book, I know, but I swear I didn’t ask her to – in fact, when I got her email with the photos I thought it was really sweet of her because I really do love seeing it in their new Vancouver store on opening day! Yay! Thank you Amanda and I hope you’ll visit again in the future with other nice shops that you’ve photographed.

(images: amanda gilligan)

54 Comments

• Reply pixie May 17, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Is it wrong to love a store so much? I wish my apartment looked like their stores…lol. So colorful yet everything works instead of looking like a mish mash of stuff. If only I could figure out how to manage that look.

• Reply Charmaine May 17, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I’m so excited for the Vancouver store. I’ll help keep it in business too. The last time I had a vacation in the US there was an anthropologie just across the street from where we were stay… Out of the 5 days we were there I when 5 times. I’m all stocked up.

• Reply Shanon May 17, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Amanda, Anthro, and your book… yippee!

Don’t we all just want to live in one of their stores? I sure do!

• Reply Ana May 17, 2011 at 6:28 pm

We need one in Brazill. I might have to wait a few years for that… Maybe many…

• Reply Hanna May 17, 2011 at 6:45 pm

I was in the Anthro in West Edmonton Mall last week. I was so excited, I had no idea they were in Canada now.

• Reply merette May 17, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Don’t forget The Netherlands! We really do need one there.

• Reply decor8 May 17, 2011 at 8:27 pm

@Merette – I can totally see an Anthropologie in Amsterdam, you are right!

• Reply Trish May 17, 2011 at 7:17 pm

YIPPEE!!! Even though I live in Washington, I’m only 5 minutes from the Canadian Border…so Seattle’s 2 Anthros. are 2 hours away…this makes Vancouver’s New Anthro. only 45 minutes WHOO HOO!!! Thanks so much Holly for the heads up. Vancouver is the Hollywood/L.A. of Canada…I can’t believe it’s taken this long to get one?!?! Yay for the Canucks!!! :D

• Reply meagan May 17, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Yeah Vancouver! Slowly but surely Canada catches up!
    Meagan, Row House Nest

• Reply Jessica May 17, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Oh my goodness, I need to visit one of these shops – that yellow butter dish has done it for me!

• Reply Ally May 17, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Yes, the painted table is by Swarm! We have a few of them in the store (I work at the Vancouver location). So excited to see this post!

• Reply decor8 May 17, 2011 at 8:26 pm

@Ally – Hi Ally! Thank you! That’s what makes Leslie so great to me, her work is lovely but it’s 100% Leslie and I think that is just so special. Glad you like the post Ally and hello!

• Reply Amanda {Mocking Bird} May 17, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Thank you for having my images on Decor8 this morning, Holly!
    I’m honored to be here. :)

• Reply Lizet May 17, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Thats great! I want to get my stuff into Anthropologie some day!

• Reply laura trevey May 17, 2011 at 8:41 pm

I would love a kelly green wall – the same color – in my home!!

• Reply Cynthia at Coffee On The Patio May 17, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Anthropologie is so great. I just go in to breathe in all the creativity. How great you have your book there. Think I will go to our store to do a little breathing and check out your book. I bet it’s a must buy!

Cynthia

• Reply jozen @ lolasgirl May 17, 2011 at 8:57 pm

i was invited to the sneek peek grand opening event. LOVE anthro!!! they have out done themselves with the Vancouver store (though i might be biased!).

great food, lovely store but best of all friendly and helpful staff!

yay anthro!

• Reply Will May 17, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I bought Tobes one of those red kitchen alarms for his birthday last week! Love them!

• Reply Milly Schutz May 17, 2011 at 9:19 pm

I live so far from an Anthropologie Store so when I see pictures or get their catalog I almost wet my pants.

• Reply Iris May 17, 2011 at 9:20 pm

A store in The Hague would be even better (but probably painful for my wallet)…
    x Iris

• Reply meenal @ maison marigold May 17, 2011 at 9:28 pm

This afternoon only, my friend and i ( both anthro fans)were discussing how so much of anthro stuff is made in india but it’ll be years before we see an anthro store here..which is really a pity..anyhow..good for the people of vancouver!! lovely shots of the shop, amanda!! thanks for sharing, holly..have a great day! do visit my blog when you have a moment..xx meenal

• Reply Julie the Alkaline Sister May 17, 2011 at 9:32 pm

OMG I want to hop the first ferry RIGHT NOW! I knew they were opening but yeah! -it’s a done deal! Thanks for sharing Holly, and Amanda for your fab shots on the big day. I can hardly wait, and Holly you are right, I should really own stocks in Anthro! Apparently, I am their ultimate target market! They draw me in to spend every time I visit! I just can’t resist how they entertain and tempt me with their fabulous displays and wonderfully curated goodies! Yeeehaaa!

• Reply Julie the Alkaline Sister May 17, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Oh and PS. Holly, my Liberty box with your book just arrived! I’m sooo excited for tea time today! I’ll never, ever try to send beautifully embellished herb seed packs thru the mail with my friends brand new book, ever, ever again! Dang Customs anyhow!

• Reply Lisa May 17, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Yay for Anthro! I was so glad when they came here (Austin, TX) and now we have TWO. So lucky.

Don’t you love how they put so much thought into everything? And all the little details? Like the shipping tag on the boat painting! So cool.

And now I must go to one, those vases are awesome!

• Reply Penelope@thirdroomstudio May 17, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Yes, we are waiting desperately in Australia! One day…

• Reply Pearl Maple May 18, 2011 at 12:45 am

How exciting, I can’t wait for my next visit to Vancouver now to see creative things what they have on show

• Reply sécia May 18, 2011 at 12:50 am

I just love that store! Especially their kitchenware.

sécia

• Reply Silver Strands May 18, 2011 at 1:02 am

Yes, I agree … I love Anthropologie and we have one just 15 minutes from our home :)
    So glad I found your blog!

• Reply marilyn May 18, 2011 at 1:28 am

Oh I love this kind of style. I love vintage chic!

• Reply Christina Diaz May 18, 2011 at 2:18 am

I think the pendant lamps are made in the store. They sell the single sockets with different colored cords and I think they made and added the wooden parts themselves. This is just my guess!! :)

• Reply decor8 May 18, 2011 at 11:06 am

@Christina – Oh okay – those are fun!

• Reply Kateri May 18, 2011 at 2:47 am

How about opening a store in Montreal, Canada? Wouldn’t be great??

• Reply Meesh May 18, 2011 at 4:49 am

So excited about the new Anthro store in Van City! Thanks Amanda for the awesome photos! I can’t wait to set foot inside myself!

• Reply Laurie May 18, 2011 at 5:11 am

Please, enough about the book.

• Reply Candace @ infitation May 18, 2011 at 5:43 am

Vancouver you are so lucky!

If any Anthro reps are reading this, please put (Oahu) Hawaii on your list of new stores!

Being an ocean away from an Anthropologie just won’t work!

• Reply Cate May 18, 2011 at 6:14 am

I’m so excited that Anthro opened a store in Vancouver! I live in Victoria (on Vancouver Island) and am so excited to head on over sometime really soon!

• Reply Jessica May 18, 2011 at 8:04 am

Thank you Holly for letting me know, from another continent, no less, that Anthropologie is now located in the next neighbourhood over from my own.

(This is what happens when you have small children -you live at night vicariously through blogs due to said small children – who will now need to be dragged to Anthropologie, lol!) How exciting!

And on another note, the Vancouver Public Library should now also purchase several copies of your book to loan.

• Reply Nat@ dear little house May 18, 2011 at 9:13 am

I think we need one here in Sydney.

• Reply Irene May 18, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Oh and I’m glad to see your books taking pride of place!

• Reply steven May 18, 2011 at 4:47 pm

hey holly… a new anthro is opening up in scotland soon, in edinburgh.. have you been there ?. its a stunning city, you would love it…. xx

• Reply Jeff May 18, 2011 at 8:05 pm

That store inspires what my wife and I try to find for our shop. It kind of gives us an idea of vintage styles and decorating items are in-fashion. I noticed recently they have been using milk-bottle and milk glass looking items as well as some vintage-looking jars.

• Reply Stacy May 18, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I remember when they first started out in Philadelphia in the early 90’s- there was nothing like it at the time. Probably the store I would most love to see come here to Berlin. As good as the London store is, I always get blown away at how much more is available in the North American branches. Just as well the airlines are employing stricter baggage allowances! Congratulations again on the book. It is a perfect fit, aesthetically, with Anthropologie!

• Reply Joy May 19, 2011 at 6:32 am

Is the ship on the waves print in the first picture something that Anthropologie sells? I love it, but I can’t find anything about it on their website.

• Reply Vicki (simply hue) May 19, 2011 at 10:20 am

Time to make a trip to Vancouver…not only to visit Anthro. but to visit my friend, Amanda. Beautifully done, Amanda! Hi, Holly. :o)

• Reply mybrouhaha May 19, 2011 at 1:51 pm

thank you! someone offered me this nice magnetic timer… well today i’m discovering it’s magnetic !!

• Reply heather May 20, 2011 at 8:04 am

Great photos- the opening night was so busy, with so much to see, it’s so great to see everything fresh and clean and bright!
    By the way, Holly- my Striped Bottle Vases graced the table by your new book quite nicely! :)

• Reply Diane May 20, 2011 at 8:27 am

Yes, please bring Anthropologie to Australia!

• Reply Gwyneth May 20, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Yey! We are SO happy to have Anthropologie in town… Nice to learn about a local photographer too.
    Thank you!

• Reply Amanda May 20, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Joy, the ship paintings aren’t for sale. there was a little sign next to them saying they weren’t.

• Reply Sarah May 22, 2011 at 6:27 am

I work at Anthro and so I’m gonna go ahead and say that those pretty pendants were made by someone on the display team. Those ladies (and gentlemen) are super crafty! Also, I hear that Holly might be visiting us in the near future?! YAY!

• Reply Sarah May 22, 2011 at 6:29 am

oh! oops! I’m in Boston.

• Reply Samantha Denisdóttir May 23, 2011 at 2:45 pm

These stores are just so beautiful. You have inspired me to pop down to my local London branch today for a browse. Thanks for a great post :-)

• Reply Valentina May 29, 2011 at 11:19 pm

I just came home from New York and as usual I spent a fortune at Anthropologie, but simply coupé not resist at some shoes, shirts, pants, jackets……so nice
    I just posted some pictures of cool people on my blog and in the NeXT days I twill hadd my personal list of best shopping and dining in New York.

Valentina

• Reply ana patricia October 6, 2011 at 5:36 am

I want to buy everything! I love that it’s here in my hometown of Vancouver now but it’s dangerous for my wallet