Vancouver Welcomes Anthropologie

I’m so happy to see more Anthropologie stores moving into other parts of the world. I know my Australian friends are begging to have one down under, and that little me here in Germany cannot WAIT for one to open in hopefully Hamburg or Berlin at some point – my fingers are crossed! And then the Canadians… tempted right over the border for so long, poor things! They waited long enough so now that Anthro has moved into the land of the infamous “eh?” I am so happy for my friends there.

This is their fifth store in Canada and Vancouver was a great choice because my friend Julie Cove lives nearby and I know she’ll keep them in business. ;) Seriously, so many stylish people live in Vancouver and neighboring areas, like Vancouver Island, that I’m sure they are just tickled pink having a new Anthro shop nearby. I know blogger and photographer Amanda Gilligan from Mocking Bird is. In fact, she asked me if she could shoot the store on opening night for decor8 (and for her own blog, of course) and I told her to go for it! Would you like to see some glimpses of the store?

I love that bold kelly green wall color…

Aren’t those wooden pendants the best? Anyone know who designs them? I also love the tabletop, it looks like a painting and so I wonder if it’s a table design by the amazing Leslie Oschmann of Swarm in Amsterdam? Hmmm.

I love seeing magnetic timers-as-art. Fun!

By the way, Amanda took lots of shots of my book, I know, but I swear I didn’t ask her to – in fact, when I got her email with the photos I thought it was really sweet of her because I really do love seeing it in their new Vancouver store on opening day! Yay! Thank you Amanda and I hope you’ll visit again in the future with other nice shops that you’ve photographed.

(images: amanda gilligan)

Posted by decor8 in Shop Tours on May 17, 2011

1. pixie commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 5:55pm

Is it wrong to love a store so much? I wish my apartment looked like their stores…lol. So colorful yet everything works instead of looking like a mish mash of stuff. If only I could figure out how to manage that look.

2. Charmaine commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 6:04pm

I’m so excited for the Vancouver store. I’ll help keep it in business too. The last time I had a vacation in the US there was an anthropologie just across the street from where we were stay… Out of the 5 days we were there I when 5 times. I’m all stocked up.

3. Shanon commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 6:17pm

Amanda, Anthro, and your book… yippee!

Don’t we all just want to live in one of their stores? I sure do!
    Shanon´s last blog post ..Finally- Sunday

4. Ana commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 6:28pm

We need one in Brazill. I might have to wait a few years for that… Maybe many…
    Ana´s last blog post ..We are dreamers

5. Hanna commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 6:45pm

I was in the Anthro in West Edmonton Mall last week. I was so excited, I had no idea they were in Canada now.
    Hanna´s last blog post ..14

6. merette commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 7:02pm

Don’t forget The Netherlands! We really do need one there.

7. Trish commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 7:17pm

YIPPEE!!! Even though I live in Washington, I’m only 5 minutes from the Canadian Border…so Seattle’s 2 Anthros. are 2 hours away…this makes Vancouver’s New Anthro. only 45 minutes WHOO HOO!!! Thanks so much Holly for the heads up. Vancouver is the Hollywood/L.A. of Canada…I can’t believe it’s taken this long to get one?!?! Yay for the Canucks!!! :D
    Trish´s last blog post ..A Bit of Color for your Day!

8. meagan commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 7:23pm

Yeah Vancouver! Slowly but surely Canada catches up!
    Meagan, Row House Nest
    meagan´s last blog post ..The Inside Scoop- An Interview with Designer Harrison Pike

9. Jessica commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 7:40pm

Oh my goodness, I need to visit one of these shops – that yellow butter dish has done it for me!
    Jessica´s last blog post ..In the blink of an eye…

10. Ally commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 7:57pm

Yes, the painted table is by Swarm! We have a few of them in the store (I work at the Vancouver location). So excited to see this post!

11. decor8 commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 8:26pm

@Ally – Hi Ally! Thank you! That’s what makes Leslie so great to me, her work is lovely but it’s 100% Leslie and I think that is just so special. Glad you like the post Ally and hello!

12. decor8 commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 8:27pm

@Merette – I can totally see an Anthropologie in Amsterdam, you are right!

13. Amanda {Mocking Bird} commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 8:31pm

Thank you for having my images on Decor8 this morning, Holly!
    I’m honored to be here. :)
    Amanda {Mocking Bird}´s last blog post ..Why Shooting With Film Will Make You A Better Photographer

14. Lizet commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 8:34pm

Thats great! I want to get my stuff into Anthropologie some day!
    Lizet´s last blog post ..Lemon Drop Yellow Bottle

15. laura trevey commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 8:41pm

I would love a kelly green wall – the same color – in my home!!
    laura trevey´s last blog post ..My Art Studio Featured in Studios Magazine Summer 2011

16. Cynthia at Coffee On The Patio commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 8:48pm

Anthropologie is so great. I just go in to breathe in all the creativity. How great you have your book there. Think I will go to our store to do a little breathing and check out your book. I bet it’s a must buy!

Cynthia
    Cynthia at Coffee On The Patio´s last blog post ..Jane Fonda at Cannes &8211 Who Was Best Dressed

17. jozen @ lolasgirl commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 8:57pm

i was invited to the sneek peek grand opening event. LOVE anthro!!! they have out done themselves with the Vancouver store (though i might be biased!).

great food, lovely store but best of all friendly and helpful staff!

yay anthro!

18. Will commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 9:01pm

I bought Tobes one of those red kitchen alarms for his birthday last week! Love them!
    Will´s last blog post ..Home Tour- Colourful Beach House – Miami Brights!

19. Milly Schutz commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 9:19pm

I live so far from an Anthropologie Store so when I see pictures or get their catalog I almost wet my pants.

20. Iris commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 9:20pm

A store in The Hague would be even better (but probably painful for my wallet)…
    x Iris
    Iris´s last blog post ..Calamine

21. meenal @ maison marigold commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 9:28pm

This afternoon only, my friend and i ( both anthro fans)were discussing how so much of anthro stuff is made in india but it’ll be years before we see an anthro store here..which is really a pity..anyhow..good for the people of vancouver!! lovely shots of the shop, amanda!! thanks for sharing, holly..have a great day! do visit my blog when you have a moment..xx meenal
    meenal @ maison marigold´s last blog post ..Room inspiration – modern simplicity

22. Julie the Alkaline Sister commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 9:32pm

OMG I want to hop the first ferry RIGHT NOW! I knew they were opening but yeah! -it’s a done deal! Thanks for sharing Holly, and Amanda for your fab shots on the big day. I can hardly wait, and Holly you are right, I should really own stocks in Anthro! Apparently, I am their ultimate target market! They draw me in to spend every time I visit! I just can’t resist how they entertain and tempt me with their fabulous displays and wonderfully curated goodies! Yeeehaaa!
    Julie the Alkaline Sister´s last blog post ..Simple Snack of Berries and Almond Butter-A Photography Camp

23. Julie the Alkaline Sister commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 9:36pm

Oh and PS. Holly, my Liberty box with your book just arrived! I’m sooo excited for tea time today! I’ll never, ever try to send beautifully embellished herb seed packs thru the mail with my friends brand new book, ever, ever again! Dang Customs anyhow!

24. Lisa commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 10:54pm

Yay for Anthro! I was so glad when they came here (Austin, TX) and now we have TWO. So lucky.

Don’t you love how they put so much thought into everything? And all the little details? Like the shipping tag on the boat painting! So cool.

And now I must go to one, those vases are awesome!
    Lisa´s last blog post ..Card Photography Series- The Start!

25. Penelope@thirdroomstudio commented
    May 17th, 2011 at 11:14pm

Yes, we are waiting desperately in Australia! One day…

26. Pearl Maple commented
    May 18th, 2011 at 12:45am

How exciting, I can’t wait for my next visit to Vancouver now to see creative things what they have on show
    Pearl Maple´s last blog post ..Aspirations

27. sécia commented
    May 18th, 2011 at 12:50am

I just love that store! Especially their kitchenware.

sécia

sécia´s last blog post ..STOP EATING

28. Silver Strands commented
    May 18th, 2011 at 1:02am

Yes, I agree … I love Anthropologie and we have one just 15 minutes from our home :)
    So glad I found your blog!
    Silver Strands´s last blog post ..dreaming

29. marilyn commented
    May 18th, 2011 at 1:28am

Oh I love this kind of style. I love vintage chic!
    marilyn´s last blog post ..An Education on Living Organically

30. Christina Diaz commented
    May 18th, 2011 at 2:18am

I think the pendant lamps are made in the store. They sell the single sockets with different colored cords and I think they made and added the wooden parts themselves. This is just my guess!! :)
    Christina Diaz´s last blog post ..Outerlands for Brunch

31. Kateri commented
    May 18th, 2011 at 2:47am

How about opening a store in Montreal, Canada? Wouldn’t be great??

32. Meesh commented
    May 18th, 2011 at 4:49am

So excited about the new Anthro store in Van City! Thanks Amanda for the awesome photos! I can’t wait to set foot inside myself!
    Meesh´s last blog post ..Three Collections

33. Laurie commented
    May 18th, 2011 at 5:11am

Please, enough about the book.

34. Candace @ infitation commented
    May 18th, 2011 at 5:43am

Vancouver you are so lucky!

If any Anthro reps are reading this, please put (Oahu) Hawaii on your list of new stores!

Being an ocean away from an Anthropologie just won’t work!
    Candace @ infitation´s last blog post ..There’s a World Outside This Box

35. Cate commented
    May 18th, 2011 at 6:14am

I’m so excited that Anthro opened a store in Vancouver! I live in Victoria (on Vancouver Island) and am so excited to head on over sometime really soon!

36. Jessica commented
    May 18th, 2011 at 8:04am

Thank you Holly for letting me know, from another continent, no less, that Anthropologie is now located in the next neighbourhood over from my own.

(This is what happens when you have small children -you live at night vicariously through blogs due to said small children – who will now need to be dragged to Anthropologie, lol!) How exciting!

And on another note, the Vancouver Public Library should now also purchase several copies of your book to loan.

37. Nat@ dear little house commented
    May 18th, 2011 at 9:13am

I think we need one here in Sydney.
    Nat@ dear little house´s last blog post ..We have diggers in the back yard!

38. decor8 commented
    May 18th, 2011 at 11:06am

@Christina – Oh okay – those are fun!

39. Irene commented
    May 18th, 2011 at 1:30pm

Oh and I’m glad to see your books taking pride of place!
    Irene´s last blog post ..Iris Apfel in Architectural Digest

40. steven commented
    May 18th, 2011 at 4:47pm

hey holly… a new anthro is opening up in scotland soon, in edinburgh.. have you been there ?. its a stunning city, you would love it…. xx
    steven´s last blog post ..im so splendidly busy

41. Jeff commented
    May 18th, 2011 at 8:05pm

That store inspires what my wife and I try to find for our shop. It kind of gives us an idea of vintage styles and decorating items are in-fashion. I noticed recently they have been using milk-bottle and milk glass looking items as well as some vintage-looking jars.
    Jeff´s last blog post ..White Milk Glass Vase – Hobnail

42. Stacy commented
    May 18th, 2011 at 10:01pm

I remember when they first started out in Philadelphia in the early 90′s- there was nothing like it at the time. Probably the store I would most love to see come here to Berlin. As good as the London store is, I always get blown away at how much more is available in the North American branches. Just as well the airlines are employing stricter baggage allowances! Congratulations again on the book. It is a perfect fit, aesthetically, with Anthropologie!

43. Joy commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 6:32am

Is the ship on the waves print in the first picture something that Anthropologie sells? I love it, but I can’t find anything about it on their website.

44. Vicki (simply hue) commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 10:20am

Time to make a trip to Vancouver…not only to visit Anthro. but to visit my friend, Amanda. Beautifully done, Amanda! Hi, Holly. :o)
    Vicki (simply hue)´s last blog post ..Newest Photo for Raining Umbrellas

45. mybrouhaha commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 1:51pm

thank you! someone offered me this nice magnetic timer… well today i’m discovering it’s magnetic !!

46. heather commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 8:04am

Great photos- the opening night was so busy, with so much to see, it’s so great to see everything fresh and clean and bright!
    By the way, Holly- my Striped Bottle Vases graced the table by your new book quite nicely! :)

47. Diane commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 8:27am

Yes, please bring Anthropologie to Australia!
    Diane´s last blog post ..The Lark House

48. Gwyneth commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 7:53pm

Yey! We are SO happy to have Anthropologie in town… Nice to learn about a local photographer too.
    Thank you!
    Gwyneth´s last blog post ..Lockhart Footstool Camping Stool

49. Amanda commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 9:06pm

Joy, the ship paintings aren’t for sale. there was a little sign next to them saying they weren’t.

50. Sarah commented
    May 22nd, 2011 at 6:27am

I work at Anthro and so I’m gonna go ahead and say that those pretty pendants were made by someone on the display team. Those ladies (and gentlemen) are super crafty! Also, I hear that Holly might be visiting us in the near future?! YAY!

51. Sarah commented
    May 22nd, 2011 at 6:29am

oh! oops! I’m in Boston.

52. Samantha Denisdóttir commented
    May 23rd, 2011 at 2:45pm

These stores are just so beautiful. You have inspired me to pop down to my local London branch today for a browse. Thanks for a great post :-)
    Samantha Denisdóttir´s last blog post ..Beautiful house in London

53. Valentina commented
    May 29th, 2011 at 11:19pm

I just came home from New York and as usual I spent a fortune at Anthropologie, but simply coupé not resist at some shoes, shirts, pants, jackets……so nice
    I just posted some pictures of cool people on my blog and in the NeXT days I twill hadd my personal list of best shopping and dining in New York.

Valentina

54. ana patricia commented
    October 6th, 2011 at 5:36am

I want to buy everything! I love that it’s here in my hometown of Vancouver now but it’s dangerous for my wallet