Annorlunda By IKEA

This post comes with a warning: If you live outside of Belgium you may become very annoyed by what I’m about to show you. Essentially this post is about seeing things that we cannot have, and it’s the canary before the cat I know, but I still have to share this with you. I recently learned about a very limited collection from IKEA called Annorlunda, meaning Different (maybe that’s us so we don’t get it where we live?), of ethnic modern finds curated by their designers and on offer in only TWO select stores in the whole wide world (no, I’m not using tone or ‘tude, okay maybe a little) and I’m dying to know what you think of it and the whole concept of pop-up IKEA collections in random places? I mean, I want to say Bahhhh they are mean to tease, but when I see these things I think that at least they are trying to keep the Belgium people good and stylish (like they need help) while the rest of us looks on in pain with fingers and nose pressed firmly to the glass — seeing what we cannot have.

Annorlunda By IKEA

Have I managed to depress you yet? On the up side, I think this whole concept is quite brilliant though I hate to say that but I really am extremely jealous happy for my Belgium friends that they can go to their Zaventem or Anderlecht stores and find all of these amazing things… I almost want to drive over just to see what’s left because I spy a few pieces that I’d love to put on my three season porch like the turquoise chair (which could easily be spray painted into black and put in a living room). I think this collection would do great in so many other countries, like Germany (hint, hint), the UK and the US. Maybe this is one of those test things big companies do to avoid taking too much risk, so they dip in their toe to see how well something goes before doing a grand roll-out. Perhaps we’ll see Annorlunda in Annorbyneighborhood real soon.

Annorlunda By IKEA

Annorlunda By IKEA

Annorlunda By IKEA

Annorlunda By IKEA

Annorlunda By IKEA

Annorlunda By IKEA

I find it interesting how this collection came to be. IKEA basically sent five of their designers on a plane to hand pick inspiring objects that they wanted to turn into a limited collection with a ethnic vibe. The result is a line of products that are very global, fashion-inspired (I see lots of runway trends in these pieces, don’t you?) and still budget conscious which is what IKEA is all about. Plus, it’s what Scandinavians are all about as current trends up there are all about mixing in ethnic influences because those influences have crept over the border into Germany and people here are into ethnic touches as well, though they always were but the ethnic touches in brightly colored paint are much fresher than the originally teak variety that are floating around in most “ethnic shops” locally. My vote is on brightly lacquered furniture, baby!

There are so many products being designed today, our selection is so diverse compared to the choices our parents once had, and I think we are so lucky to have access to things from so many corners of the globe. So what do you think of limited edition pop-up collections put on by the big blue box?

(Found via: Lise at Urban Style Vibes. Photos: IKEA)

Posted by decor8 in shopping on May 19, 2011

1. Luciane at HomeBunch.com commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 4:24pm

So fun… loving the colors of this post!

Have a colorful day!

xo

Luciane.

2. Jes commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 4:24pm

I’m so green with envy right now.
    Jes´s last blog post ..oh so succulent

3. Sandra Meier commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 4:24pm

The Dutch are lucky to…available at Ikea Amsterdam and Haarlem…that’s around the corner! :)
    Sandra Meier´s last blog post ..ABC…

4. nata commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 4:25pm

I HEART this!!! Totally amazing collection that I can’t get my hands on…Bah!
    nata´s last blog post ..giant hand bleached flower- diy project

5. Gina commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 4:26pm

I sure love that bedside table!! Hopefully soon this collection will expand to other locations.
    Gina´s last blog post ..therefore we will not fear there’s nothing left to fear

6. Becky D@KingsDownRoad commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 4:28pm

Sigh – I really love those chairs.
    Becky D@KingsDownRoad´s last blog post ..Outdoor Living

7. desiree - Vosgesparis commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 4:31pm

YOu did warn us but hey .. No problem ;)
    I live in Holland and we got is as well.. Only in two cities though! Amsterdam and Haarlem
    I got that blue table last weekend ;)
    desiree – Vosgesparis´s last blog post ..Pols Potten Idiosyncratic

8. Jane commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 4:33pm

Bummer, the collection is GREAT, especially the chair and the coffee table. And yes, I am jealous. I mean, this is so not Ikea. Affordable style for EVERYONE. So, as much as I love the products, I don’t think it fits in with Ikea or peoples perception of Ikea. They had limited editions and stuff, but the whole collection in two outlets, in Belgium? Why???

9. Isa commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 4:34pm

I am so jealous too! I think they have been very clever because now these collections will be coveted by all of us not able to get them. To limit the collection is very clever. I do hope they will at least bring it to London though haha
    Isa´s last blog post ..Creating a Lookbook

10. Heba commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 4:34pm

love that night stand so much

11. decor8 commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 4:36pm

@Desiree – They stock in the Netherlands now? Oh I’ll be in Amsterdam in 4 weeks, I can see a chair riding back on the train with me already…

12. nda commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 4:36pm

Annorlunda means different.

13. juliette commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 4:37pm

That little table and those big chairs are killer. Please send some to Germany!
    juliette´s last blog post ..Sew Inspired- Vintage Sewing Notions

14. decor8 commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 4:38pm
  15. Cathie commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 4:39pm

The limited edition pop-up collection looks awesome. It’s such a tease but you always want what you can’t have. It’s a great marketing tool and I think people love to say I went all the way to _____ to get it or this is a limited edition piece. And you know if it pops up in NYC, i’m so there ;)
    Cathie´s last blog post ..Barcelona- Sagrada Familia

16. Shari commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 4:42pm

I’m really quite jealous. Boo. I love the side table/storage piece! I also love the awesome woven chairs in shades of blue/black/white. Grrrr… maybe if they’re popular enough in Belgium, they might sell them in other stores? Like the one in Philly, perhaps? ;-)
    Shari´s last blog post ..Glass blowing- Day 4 Last Day

17. Jess @ House Sweet Home commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 4:44pm

Love it! I’m definitely jealous.

18. wendel commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 4:50pm

So happy to be Dutch! i just read your post and already regretted clicking on the tweet. ;-). But on the website of VT Wonen I found out that they are available in Holland as well! (As Sandra Meier already mentioned). They have a great little post about is too.

19. Casey commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 5:41pm

I love the colorful pots! I can imagine a few of those in my backyard. And I know they have nothing to do with Ikea, but I love the black and white shoes, too!!
    Casey´s last blog post ..New items in the shop!

20. Tamara, Bella Boho commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 6:21pm

Fantastic pieces! So not fair, we are finally getting IKEA here in Colorado in July, but I may boycot now…NAH, just kidding! Hopefully the pieces do great and they will pop up elswhere.
    Tamara, Bella Boho´s last blog post ..style board- chic &amp thrifty

21. Erika ~TiptoeButterfly~ commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 6:50pm

wait – THOSE chairs are from IKEA? – u gotta be kidding me?! – i’m gonna go to IKEA this weekend now!

*kiss kiss*
    Erika @ ~TiptoeButterfly~
    Erika ~TiptoeButterfly~´s last blog post ..Fondue

22. meenal @ maison marigold commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 7:09pm

love the limited( availability) edition from ikea..such gorgeous colors..the belgians indeed are lucky!! xx meenal
    meenal @ maison marigold´s last blog post ..Decor for decorum

23. Ariana commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 7:30pm

I love that little side table, and those bright colors are so perfect for some outdoor summer living spaces. Oh those lucky Belgians!
    Ariana´s last blog post ..Daily Photo- Village View in Tremezzo

24. Emelie - fiffiga systrar commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 7:43pm

I loooove the turquoise chair! why belgium? IKEAs homecountry then? Sweden!!! Helloooo!!??????? ;-)

25. amanda james commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 7:54pm

oh my…i wish this is just one of those tests they do. i think i fell in love with that red chair from them. but wait…belgium isn’t that far away, is it?
    amanda james´s last blog post ..room update

26. Katie Laughlin commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 9:21pm

Wow! I would love a set of the turquoise chairs for my patio…such a tease! lol!

27. Alyssa commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 9:27pm

I’m headed to Ikea today:) unfortunately the one in NJ but they still have other cool stuff…

28. Monica commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 11:41pm

EEEEEEEEE! Want stool. Want chair (paint black or green).
    Monica´s last blog post ..More of Less

29. Lauren commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 2:23am

That chair!!! That’s all I have to say. I wouldn’t be able to choose between the yellow and the turquoise, just love them both.
    Lauren´s last blog post ..the worst blogger in the world

30. kasey at girl in the gray house commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 3:02am

yes this does make me jealous – but i’m already jealous because here in Mississippi the closest Ikea is about 10 hours away!! and those chairs are so darn cute!

31. Sonishka commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 4:51am

well at least I’ve got those floral bed sheets next to the bed stand haha from Sydney Homebush IKEA. Can’t have everything. Smile

32. Ana commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 11:20am

Not wanting to make you more jealous, but they have this collection here in the Netherlands ;-)
    Well, maybe when you are here next month, for your book signing, you can stop by an Ikea ;-)

I was there this week, buying baby things with my husband when we stumbled on to it! They are REALLY GORGEOUS and the colors are so vibrant! I wanted to get everything with me! (but we had to be time efficient with the shopping, so I am guessing I will have to stop by there again ;-) )

xx,
    A.

33. Sam Taylor commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 1:20pm

I want the yellow chair ….. no the red chair …… no the blue chair …… OH NO, looks like I want all three!!!! Lets hope the collection comes to the UK. Also loving the blue and white table.

AAAHHHHHHH!!!!
    Sam Taylor´s last blog post ..I Love Mornings Like This

34. suzanne commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 1:22pm

and…. those absolutely darling shoes in picture # 1 !!!

35. Maria/Husligheter commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 2:28pm

This is (or I should say WAS, since it sold out pretty quickly in most stores) available in Sweden too, in like 7 or 8 stores. Weirdly enough it’s not called ANNORLUNDA in Sweden, even though it’s a Swedish word, but KRYDDSTARKT which means “spicy”. I got the chairs in yellow and red and the necklace table, very happy about that!

36. Rachael commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 3:30pm

I was just at Ikea today in Frankfurt and I saw the yellow and turquoise chairs!! Now, I was just strolling by on my way upstairs to…um…eat, but anyway I think they are available there too :)

37. Alicia commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 4:18pm

That makes me so happy, and yet so sad.

38. Mareike commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 9:32pm

I love this collection! Everything is so colourful.
    But I’m really sure that I’ve seen the big lampshade (outside black, inside many colours) on the image with the yellow curtain in the ikea store here in Berlin-Lichtenberg! I have to go there again to see if there’s other things from this collection. Would be great!

39. Aimee commented
    May 21st, 2011 at 10:54pm

I have my eye on those shoes – gorgeous!

40. Karolien commented
    May 22nd, 2011 at 9:55am

Just bought the turquoise chair yesterday in Anderlecht! To my surprise there are lots of pieces left. Have to say that the colors aren’t as vibrant as they look on the pictures (the yellow is more mustard), but there still very pretty.
    Karolien´s last blog post ..Books from my library

41. Paulina commented
    May 23rd, 2011 at 5:46pm

Oh, gorgeous round table!! Would love to have one in my bedroom!

42. FIDM Fashion Club commented
    May 23rd, 2011 at 7:30pm

I HEART this Ikea collection! It’s bright and vibrant and the pictures are amazing! Definitely eye candy for the eyes :)
    FIDM Fashion Club´s last blog post ..FIDM Grad Loves Her Job as Vans Product Developer

43. currystrumpet commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 8:39am

Yahoo I live in the Netherlands! That yellow chair will be mine!!!

44. Deirdre Fraser commented
    May 31st, 2011 at 12:59pm

I am in love with the black storage table! And dammit, we passed Zaventem twice last week! Is there any way to check if Amsterdam or Haarlem still have stock?

45. Tracey Chalk commented
    June 1st, 2011 at 10:29am

OUTRAGE! That table is perfection!
    Tracey Chalk´s last blog post ..I have no words Wednesday- Love Letters