Shopping + Products

Annorlunda By IKEA

May 19, 2011

This post comes with a warning: If you live outside of Belgium you may become very annoyed by what I’m about to show you. Essentially this post is about seeing things that we cannot have, and it’s the canary before the cat I know, but I still have to share this with you. I recently learned about a very limited collection from IKEA called Annorlunda, meaning Different (maybe that’s us so we don’t get it where we live?), of ethnic modern finds curated by their designers and on offer in only TWO select stores in the whole wide world (no, I’m not using tone or ‘tude, okay maybe a little) and I’m dying to know what you think of it and the whole concept of pop-up IKEA collections in random places? I mean, I want to say Bahhhh they are mean to tease, but when I see these things I think that at least they are trying to keep the Belgium people good and stylish (like they need help) while the rest of us looks on in pain with fingers and nose pressed firmly to the glass — seeing what we cannot have.

Annorlunda By IKEA

Have I managed to depress you yet? On the up side, I think this whole concept is quite brilliant though I hate to say that but I really am extremely jealous happy for my Belgium friends that they can go to their Zaventem or Anderlecht stores and find all of these amazing things… I almost want to drive over just to see what’s left because I spy a few pieces that I’d love to put on my three season porch like the turquoise chair (which could easily be spray painted into black and put in a living room). I think this collection would do great in so many other countries, like Germany (hint, hint), the UK and the US. Maybe this is one of those test things big companies do to avoid taking too much risk, so they dip in their toe to see how well something goes before doing a grand roll-out. Perhaps we’ll see Annorlunda in Annorbyneighborhood real soon.

Annorlunda By IKEA

Annorlunda By IKEA

Annorlunda By IKEA

Annorlunda By IKEA

Annorlunda By IKEA

Annorlunda By IKEA

I find it interesting how this collection came to be. IKEA basically sent five of their designers on a plane to hand pick inspiring objects that they wanted to turn into a limited collection with a ethnic vibe. The result is a line of products that are very global, fashion-inspired (I see lots of runway trends in these pieces, don’t you?) and still budget conscious which is what IKEA is all about. Plus, it’s what Scandinavians are all about as current trends up there are all about mixing in ethnic influences because those influences have crept over the border into Germany and people here are into ethnic touches as well, though they always were but the ethnic touches in brightly colored paint are much fresher than the originally teak variety that are floating around in most “ethnic shops” locally. My vote is on brightly lacquered furniture, baby!

There are so many products being designed today, our selection is so diverse compared to the choices our parents once had, and I think we are so lucky to have access to things from so many corners of the globe. So what do you think of limited edition pop-up collections put on by the big blue box?

(Found via: Lise at Urban Style Vibes. Photos: IKEA)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Luciane at May 19, 2011 at 4:24 pm

So fun… loving the colors of this post!

Have a colorful day!

• Reply Jes May 19, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I’m so green with envy right now.

• Reply Sandra Meier May 19, 2011 at 4:24 pm

The Dutch are lucky to…available at Ikea Amsterdam and Haarlem…that’s around the corner! :)

• Reply nata May 19, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I HEART this!!! Totally amazing collection that I can’t get my hands on…Bah!

• Reply Gina May 19, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I sure love that bedside table!! Hopefully soon this collection will expand to other locations.

• Reply Becky D@KingsDownRoad May 19, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Sigh – I really love those chairs.

• Reply desiree - Vosgesparis May 19, 2011 at 4:31 pm

YOu did warn us but hey .. No problem ;)
    I live in Holland and we got is as well.. Only in two cities though! Amsterdam and Haarlem
    I got that blue table last weekend ;)

• Reply decor8 May 19, 2011 at 4:36 pm

@Desiree – They stock in the Netherlands now? Oh I’ll be in Amsterdam in 4 weeks, I can see a chair riding back on the train with me already…

• Reply Jane May 19, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Bummer, the collection is GREAT, especially the chair and the coffee table. And yes, I am jealous. I mean, this is so not Ikea. Affordable style for EVERYONE. So, as much as I love the products, I don’t think it fits in with Ikea or peoples perception of Ikea. They had limited editions and stuff, but the whole collection in two outlets, in Belgium? Why???

• Reply Isa May 19, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I am so jealous too! I think they have been very clever because now these collections will be coveted by all of us not able to get them. To limit the collection is very clever. I do hope they will at least bring it to London though haha

• Reply Heba May 19, 2011 at 4:34 pm

love that night stand so much

• Reply nda May 19, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Annorlunda means different.

• Reply juliette May 19, 2011 at 4:37 pm

That little table and those big chairs are killer. Please send some to Germany!

• Reply Cathie May 19, 2011 at 4:39 pm

The limited edition pop-up collection looks awesome. It’s such a tease but you always want what you can’t have. It’s a great marketing tool and I think people love to say I went all the way to _____ to get it or this is a limited edition piece. And you know if it pops up in NYC, i’m so there ;)

• Reply Shari May 19, 2011 at 4:42 pm

I’m really quite jealous. Boo. I love the side table/storage piece! I also love the awesome woven chairs in shades of blue/black/white. Grrrr… maybe if they’re popular enough in Belgium, they might sell them in other stores? Like the one in Philly, perhaps? ;-)

• Reply Jess @ House Sweet Home May 19, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Love it! I’m definitely jealous.

• Reply wendel May 19, 2011 at 4:50 pm

So happy to be Dutch! i just read your post and already regretted clicking on the tweet. ;-). But on the website of VT Wonen I found out that they are available in Holland as well! (As Sandra Meier already mentioned). They have a great little post about is too.

• Reply Casey May 19, 2011 at 5:41 pm

I love the colorful pots! I can imagine a few of those in my backyard. And I know they have nothing to do with Ikea, but I love the black and white shoes, too!!

• Reply Tamara, Bella Boho May 19, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Fantastic pieces! So not fair, we are finally getting IKEA here in Colorado in July, but I may boycot now…NAH, just kidding! Hopefully the pieces do great and they will pop up elswhere.

• Reply Erika ~TiptoeButterfly~ May 19, 2011 at 6:50 pm

wait – THOSE chairs are from IKEA? – u gotta be kidding me?! – i’m gonna go to IKEA this weekend now!

*kiss kiss*
    Erika @ ~TiptoeButterfly~

• Reply meenal @ maison marigold May 19, 2011 at 7:09 pm

love the limited( availability) edition from ikea..such gorgeous colors..the belgians indeed are lucky!! xx meenal

• Reply Ariana May 19, 2011 at 7:30 pm

I love that little side table, and those bright colors are so perfect for some outdoor summer living spaces. Oh those lucky Belgians!

• Reply Emelie - fiffiga systrar May 19, 2011 at 7:43 pm

I loooove the turquoise chair! why belgium? IKEAs homecountry then? Sweden!!! Helloooo!!??????? ;-)

• Reply amanda james May 19, 2011 at 7:54 pm

oh my…i wish this is just one of those tests they do. i think i fell in love with that red chair from them. but wait…belgium isn’t that far away, is it?

• Reply Katie Laughlin May 19, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Wow! I would love a set of the turquoise chairs for my patio…such a tease! lol!

• Reply Alyssa May 19, 2011 at 9:27 pm

I’m headed to Ikea today:) unfortunately the one in NJ but they still have other cool stuff…

• Reply Monica May 19, 2011 at 11:41 pm

EEEEEEEEE! Want stool. Want chair (paint black or green).

• Reply Lauren May 20, 2011 at 2:23 am

That chair!!! That’s all I have to say. I wouldn’t be able to choose between the yellow and the turquoise, just love them both.

• Reply kasey at girl in the gray house May 20, 2011 at 3:02 am

yes this does make me jealous – but i’m already jealous because here in Mississippi the closest Ikea is about 10 hours away!! and those chairs are so darn cute!

• Reply Sonishka May 20, 2011 at 4:51 am

well at least I’ve got those floral bed sheets next to the bed stand haha from Sydney Homebush IKEA. Can’t have everything. Smile

• Reply Ana May 20, 2011 at 11:20 am

Not wanting to make you more jealous, but they have this collection here in the Netherlands ;-)
    Well, maybe when you are here next month, for your book signing, you can stop by an Ikea ;-)

I was there this week, buying baby things with my husband when we stumbled on to it! They are REALLY GORGEOUS and the colors are so vibrant! I wanted to get everything with me! (but we had to be time efficient with the shopping, so I am guessing I will have to stop by there again ;-) )

• Reply Sam Taylor May 20, 2011 at 1:20 pm

I want the yellow chair ….. no the red chair …… no the blue chair …… OH NO, looks like I want all three!!!! Lets hope the collection comes to the UK. Also loving the blue and white table.

• Reply suzanne May 20, 2011 at 1:22 pm

and…. those absolutely darling shoes in picture # 1 !!!

• Reply Maria/Husligheter May 20, 2011 at 2:28 pm

This is (or I should say WAS, since it sold out pretty quickly in most stores) available in Sweden too, in like 7 or 8 stores. Weirdly enough it’s not called ANNORLUNDA in Sweden, even though it’s a Swedish word, but KRYDDSTARKT which means “spicy”. I got the chairs in yellow and red and the necklace table, very happy about that!

• Reply Rachael May 20, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I was just at Ikea today in Frankfurt and I saw the yellow and turquoise chairs!! Now, I was just strolling by on my way upstairs to…um…eat, but anyway I think they are available there too :)

• Reply Alicia May 20, 2011 at 4:18 pm

That makes me so happy, and yet so sad.

• Reply Mareike May 20, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I love this collection! Everything is so colourful.
    But I’m really sure that I’ve seen the big lampshade (outside black, inside many colours) on the image with the yellow curtain in the ikea store here in Berlin-Lichtenberg! I have to go there again to see if there’s other things from this collection. Would be great!

• Reply Aimee May 21, 2011 at 10:54 pm

I have my eye on those shoes – gorgeous!

• Reply Karolien May 22, 2011 at 9:55 am

Just bought the turquoise chair yesterday in Anderlecht! To my surprise there are lots of pieces left. Have to say that the colors aren’t as vibrant as they look on the pictures (the yellow is more mustard), but there still very pretty.

• Reply Paulina May 23, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Oh, gorgeous round table!! Would love to have one in my bedroom!

• Reply FIDM Fashion Club May 23, 2011 at 7:30 pm

I HEART this Ikea collection! It’s bright and vibrant and the pictures are amazing! Definitely eye candy for the eyes :)

• Reply currystrumpet May 25, 2011 at 8:39 am

Yahoo I live in the Netherlands! That yellow chair will be mine!!!

• Reply Deirdre Fraser May 31, 2011 at 12:59 pm

I am in love with the black storage table! And dammit, we passed Zaventem twice last week! Is there any way to check if Amsterdam or Haarlem still have stock?

• Reply Tracey Chalk June 1, 2011 at 10:29 am

OUTRAGE! That table is perfection!