Arts + Crafts, Books + Magazines

5 Artists That You Should Check Out

May 20, 2011

Hello and happy Friday! Earlier today I posted a book review on Real Simple for Pulled, A Catalog of Screen Printing by Mike Perry so feel free to hop over there and read it… but this post isn’t a repeat of that, rather it’s to meant to share 5 of the 40+ artists in Perry’s book that I really liked. We each have our own definition of what beauty is so something I love may not be your personal favorite but at least check these creative folks out below and see what you think. In fact, I’d love to really see what you think – so if any of these artists click with you, let me know and tell me why. Okay, let’s get started! :)

5 Artists That You Should Check Out

First up is Ashkahn Shahparnia – his work is bold, colorful and awesome and I love his shop. And yes, that is an illustration of blogger Maxwell Gillingham-Ryan who founded the web’s first, largest and most popular design blog, Apartment Therapy that all other design bloggers sorta laud as the god of blogging. That snazzy illustration appeared in ReadyMade magazine who just so happens to always have the best illustrations, don’t you think?

5 Artists That You Should Check Out5 Artists That You Should Check Out

Next is Brooklyn’s own Jim Datz, I love his city posters. Great stuff. The London one is funny, spiffy, and I like the colors. I also love the little black cab with the man riding in the back reading his newspaper (an actual newspaper, remember those?) with his giant mustache. I’m happy to see the mouth of the cab driver completely shut because most cabbies I’ve had in the past several months wouldn’t stop talking about god, politics, religion and terrorism. Yeah, I always seem to get the best cab drivers (not). At least this little guy with the fancy stache can read his paper in peace.

5 Artists That You Should Check Out

Rachel Domm, whom you may know from some of her awesome work for jumbo clients like J.Crew is also in Perry’s new book. She has a store, too. I like that subtle pink Forever & Ever poster.

5 Artists That You Should Check Out

Next up is Andrew Holder and really, what’s not to love about his work? So strong and clean. Peacocks, bear, deer, raindrops, pine trees. He does them all so very well and his color mixes are phenomenal. Swoon.

5 Artists That You Should Check Out

And last, but not least because Perry’s book has tons more artists to browse, is Hannah Waldron. She has a bigcartel store too. I like her work because it’s intricate while feeling casual and that’s hard to pull off. I can’t explain what it is but I love the Rain Day poster. It’s sweet but I’m not really sure what it’s all about. When I first saw it I thought it was like another way to say Sick Day, like a Rain Day would be a day when you are just blue and not really ill, sorta depressed and sad and needing a warm bed, a hug and a vodka martini. :) I  really don’t know what a Rain Day is, do you? But I like the swirly letters, the color, the spacing and just the vibe those two little words put off.

Also in this book is the work of Steven Harrington (not shown above) who I think is pretty darn special. I own a limited edition print of his, two actually, and really like the colors and shapes he uses. I love the work he did for Target – I’m so inspired by this video. Can you imagine being an artist and seeing your work displayed like that?

Do you have any favorites from the PULLED book?

(images: linked to their sources above.)

You Might Also Like

• Reply nnes May 20, 2011 at 9:22 pm

thanks for sharing

• Reply Bre May 20, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Oh my, I’m loving every single artist you posted about. I’ve seen that book here and there a few times – I should really pick it up. I love having something physical to page around through for inspiration. All sorts of fun things in this one! :) :)

• Reply Denise May 20, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Oopsie, no images are showing. I’m sure you know but just in case :)

• Reply meenal @ maison marigold May 20, 2011 at 10:34 pm

love the work of andrew holder… it is bold colorful and with just a hint of whimsy..and datz’s city posters are really the limited use of color… thanks for sharing always have the best picks..have a lovely day..xx meenal

• Reply Ana May 20, 2011 at 10:37 pm

I am. Definitely.

• Reply Barbara May 20, 2011 at 11:57 pm

I so need to get this book. Jim Datz looks amazing!!! Thank you for sharing, Holly :)

• Reply Katie {La Plus Petite} May 21, 2011 at 12:59 am

Rachel Domm’s work makes me swoon — Lovely!

• Reply Lottie May 21, 2011 at 2:33 am

Love the art you chose to share – the sweetly whimsical Andrew Holder art and the nifty typography/design of Datz and Domm are probably my favourites. :)

• Reply Diana May 21, 2011 at 3:12 am

Wonderful post, Loving all the colour by some great illustrators. The Jim Datz posters are just fabulous. The London one is my favourite. Thanks for the tip on the Mike Perry book, must go and find it.

• Reply Vivian May 21, 2011 at 4:25 am

Rachel’s and Andrew’s artworks are whimsical and lovely.

• Reply Laura May 21, 2011 at 7:49 am

The London one is my favorite, of course :) Very whimsical

• Reply Nieves May 21, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Love Andrew Holder! the last is the best!!!

• Reply Virginia May 22, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I love the Boston/Providence print! Having trouble finding it…see nothing similar when I click on the links for Mark Perry, Jim Datz, or Ashkahn Shahparnia. Help! Confused as to who the actual artist is?

• Reply Handz May 22, 2011 at 6:20 pm

I love Jim Datzs illustrations, also Andrew Holder is great.

• Reply ArticulateArt May 23, 2011 at 3:49 pm

That’s some really cool artworks!!!

• Reply Karen May 23, 2011 at 10:57 pm

One question… About the London poster you write: “…a newspaper… remember those?….”. Do you mean YOU DO NOT READ REAL NEWSPAPERS anymore? Do you only read the online version or don´t you read any papers at all? How do keep informed on stuff other than interior deco? And doesnt it drive you nuts to only read from a screen?

Your comment made me curious, as I start every morning with a newspaper at home (“SZ”) and so do most people I know here in Germany. I work in an international media agency, so we are pretty much web-orientaded folks. But not reading a real newspaper seems weird. In the office we subscribe to the major German papers (SZ, FAZ, FR, Tagesspiegel, FTD, as well as the british and NY Times, the Guardian, Le Monde, and the Austrian “Standard”). Obviously I don´t read them all, but I do get a glimpse at the headlines and lead articles… Our bosses expect us to do our monring “paper-round”, reading at work isn´t considered a break but an education.

I am really curious and would like to know from anyone here: Do you still read papers? Or does the concept seem outdated to you?

And I also love Jim Datz, I might get the Brooklyn poster for my brother in law, to cure his homesickness…

• Reply decor8 May 23, 2011 at 11:24 pm

@Karen – I don’t read newspapers – I only read news on, etc.

• Reply ashkahn June 27, 2011 at 11:00 am

hi virginia! you can contact me directly if you would like a print of the boston / providence design. thanks for digging it! and thanks to the awesome decor8 for mentioning me! much love!