Home Tours

May 23, 2011

I love cozy corners and cherish possessions in a home — they are the best parts! I love to see the corners where the home owner reads to her children, where dad relaxes with his favorite novel, where the kids enjoy the company of their best friends… Or simply those moments when the home is silent and there is nothing to be heard except for the purring of Miss Kitty on your lap… Of course, families come in all shapes in sizes, perhaps for you it’s simply your one room apartment with your hamster or your five bedroom house with your partner and three dogs… Or maybe you are still at home with your parents or living in a dorm. The point is, an inspiring home, or “space”,  is one filled with love, warmth, meaningful touches, personalized nooks and an inspiring family (or person) at its core – someone who really cares about their home life – those who live with them and who love being part of a family.

An Inspiring Family Apartment

The lovely Tina Fussell from the Traveling Mama blog, a lady whom I known know online for several years, has an inspiring family life and an apartment that captures all of these things — she sent in photos of many lovely nooks in her Danish apartment and I thought I’d share them as they have a special feeling of warmth of coziness that I really love.

Tina recently relocated from Morocco to Copenhagen to live in a typical Danish modern apartment that is 1,200 square feet with a large living room in the center with all other rooms off of the living area. She shares this space with her husband and three children, which is amazing because the work involved in maintaining a city apartment with five people must be quite challenging! Imagine?

Art by Studio Violet

An Inspiring Family Apartment

A traditional Moroccan wedding quilt used in a modern home — so pretty and fresh!

An Inspiring Family Apartment

What I like about Tina’s home is that her decorating style is a reflection of all the places where they have lived throughout the years and that almost everything has a story since moving frequently to distant lands has forced her to edit when packing for the next destination since she cannot take everything with her. She is forced to carry only what they cannot part with — but this has been a good thing for Tina and her family because now each item in their lovingly curated home has meaning and value. It’s something to consider isn’t it – to really keep those things that have meaning…

An Inspiring Family Apartment

“I wouldn’t call our home a designer home, it’s my hope to encourage others that a beautiful home can be achieved on a very tight budget and limited resources,” Tina says and I could agree more – one can do a lot with little money, a good eye and a lot of love for decorating and of course, their family life and the dedication they have to making it a nice place to be for themselves and other family members.

An Inspiring Family Apartment

I Love You Blogs And Coffee print from Made By Girl.

An Inspiring Family Apartment

Tina thank you for this glimpse into your world, I’ve enjoyed it so much and I’m sure decor8 readers do as well.

Psst: Tina takes lovely photos, as you can see above, and also here in her etsy shop.

(images: tina fussell)

You Might Also Like

46 Comments

• Reply Andreia May 23, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Love to see Tina’s family apartment here! It’s so gorgeous!

• Reply kalanicut May 23, 2011 at 11:54 pm

What fun to see Tina’s home. I’m hoping to do a meet up with her in Denmark, where I have previously lived, next year some time. I love her home, it looks so comfortable, at ease, family friendly with beautiful, creative touches all over. It’s personality, geared so thoughtfully for her family, is inspiring.

• Reply jenn May 23, 2011 at 11:58 pm

What a beautiful home! I LOVE the Moroccan wedding blanket on the bed. AND, I have that same purse. Love it :)

• Reply Minnie May 24, 2011 at 12:00 am

What a serene and beautiful apartment, which I’m sure is not an easy feat in an apartment with three children. I admire the careful editing, though I’m happy to see the bookcase if full of books, in my opinion, an absolute necessity in a home with kids no matter how spare the decor.

• Reply Sarah May 24, 2011 at 12:00 am

What a lovely apartment…I spy IKEA curtains in the bedroom and love the Moroccan quilt on the bed. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente May 24, 2011 at 12:21 am

So very beautiful, warm and inspiring! I love this home…& as someone who cares VERY much about their home & loves decorating but, knows her home isn’t necessarily for everyone or a decorator’s home..I appreciate other homes that are not done by a decorator per se but, are clearly very beautiful, loved and with well considered and have gorgeous taste within. Thanks for sharing this lovely home!
    xoxo
    Melis

• Reply Lizet May 24, 2011 at 12:31 am

Beautiful photos! This kind of decor always wants to make me buy soft pastel glazes for my pots.

• Reply jenn May 24, 2011 at 1:26 am

this is a lovely little apartment. thanks for sharing. Prob my favorite I’ve seen in a while… sometimes it’s interior design/decor overload and nothing really sticks out.. but this did today, and it made me smile :)

• Reply Jordan May 24, 2011 at 2:02 am

Gorgeous apartment! It’s great to see others decorating on tight space and a tight budget, yet still able to make it beautiful!

I’d love to know how to get a coffee menu like that to frame! (It looks like a Starbucks menu to me.) Source?

• Reply Lisa May 24, 2011 at 2:11 am

What an inspiring and “achievable” look for apartment dwellers with families. Thank you for sharing.

• Reply Annie May 24, 2011 at 2:14 am

It’s very beautiful. I wonder how they keep it so perfect, with children? I struggle to keep one corner neat and tidy for 5 minutes!

• Reply Alexis May 24, 2011 at 2:21 am

I love the blogs and coffee poster. Also love your kitchen hood and the way you use old cameras to give it a vintage look.

• Reply Victoria May 24, 2011 at 2:42 am

Lovely, lovely, lovely!
    There is nothing better then a well lived home, which reflects the inhabitants and their passions!
    I am a big fan of living like that!

• Reply Ariana May 24, 2011 at 4:12 am

I love that you featured a very lived-in home, one that a family of five uses every day. These photos capture the warmth and homey-ness of her space. The other thing that is different about this living space is that she hasn’t been here for years– as you mention, she moves around a lot and can only bring the items she loves the most. As someone who has been on the move a lot in the last few years, it is really nice to see photos of a home that has been set up more recently, perhaps with the understanding that it won’t be permanent. There are so many ways to make a home really lovely that don’t require major investments and time. Thanks for featuring this one!

• Reply Catherine Masi May 24, 2011 at 4:27 am

Oh wow… sweet as heck!

• Reply sécia May 24, 2011 at 5:38 am

Love!

– Sécia

• Reply Caitlin May 24, 2011 at 5:58 am

What a lovely home – so many beautiful elements!

• Reply Sarah MacMillan May 24, 2011 at 6:31 am

A lovely family home. I like how it looks lived in. The mobile in the child’s room is so sweet. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply KMS May 24, 2011 at 7:23 am

one of my fav’s! unassuming, yet beautiful….love it all!

• Reply Cynthia at Coffee On The Patio May 24, 2011 at 7:25 am

So lovely, yet cozy at the same time. I love design that doesn’t lose that homey feel.

Cynthia

• Reply tinajo May 24, 2011 at 7:29 am

I love this – a very personal, fun and beautiful home. Great colors! :-)

• Reply fenny setiawan May 24, 2011 at 7:41 am

I love Tina and her blog. I ve been following her and read about the adventurous life that she has with her 3 kiddo and hubby. And thank you for sharing this post, makes me feel I know her better and how inspiring is her house can be :)

• Reply Sabine May 24, 2011 at 7:48 am

I very much like the color mix and all the tiny little details. Very nice!

• Reply Fiona May 24, 2011 at 7:49 am

What a fabulous family home – it is beautifully organised and decorated but essentially, looks lived in and loved!

• Reply meenal @ maison marigold May 24, 2011 at 7:51 am

beautiful home..love the personal touches everywhere..the art wall in the kitchen..and the blush-tinted walls..that’s the color on my blog today as well! thanks for sharing, holly..have a lovely day..xx meenal

• Reply The Design Notebook May 24, 2011 at 8:50 am

What a beautiful apartment.

• Reply Nat@ dear little house May 24, 2011 at 9:33 am

So many great little vignettes! Love that style.

• Reply Rosa @ flutterflutter May 24, 2011 at 9:40 am

Beautiful, warm, inspiring. Thank you!

• Reply ishtar May 24, 2011 at 11:35 am

Her home is BEAUTIFUL!! and surely speaks of love and warmth : )

• Reply juliette May 24, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Tina is such a lovely person with a lovely family and yes, also a lovely home! =) I’m happy to call her a friend and also happy to see her featured here. She really does appreciate the creative life and it shows in how she’s made a beautiful home on a budget as well as stocked her own Etsy shop. Definitely check out her Shop 52 series featuring shops around Copenhagen!

• Reply Jodie May 24, 2011 at 12:41 pm

The Art by Studio Violet is cute!

• Reply Heidi May 24, 2011 at 1:15 pm

I absolutely love her style – amazing how someone can have such a ‘designed’ home and still make it a home and not a show home. I adore that.
    Really something to think about from my cluttered apartment…

• Reply Sandra May 24, 2011 at 5:54 pm

I’ve been following Tina’s blog for a while, so fun to see her beautiful apartment, it looks like a very personal and warm space.

• Reply keishua May 24, 2011 at 7:45 pm

What an inspiring apartment. It is gorgeous and comfy–what good design should be.

• Reply Laura Gaskill May 24, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I am in love :) I read Tina’s blog as well, and I am so inspired by her whole family life, all of their adventures, as well as her style of course! So this was especially gratifying to see her lovely (current) home featured on decor8…and there are so many things to love about it, it looks so comfy cozy and welcoming, so many nice spots to sit and have tea and read books or play with the children. I have my eye on a few of those art prints as well! xoxo Laura

• Reply Stephanie berryisland May 24, 2011 at 9:45 pm

What a beautiful place, love the eclectic mix. Got goosebumps seeing the pom pom flowers in the vase that I made, yay!

• Reply radostina May 24, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Beautiful, beautiful home. I love Tina’s style. Thank you, Holly.

• Reply Dawanna Young May 24, 2011 at 10:28 pm

So lovely and comfortable.
    It looks like ‘home’~

• Reply Clare May 25, 2011 at 12:57 am

I agree about the nooks and cozy corners are the best bits of a home. I recently was asked for some long shots of the rooms of my house and realised that I never take them. They seem to highlight the bits I don’t like as much (like the need-to-be-painted window frames or dirty floors!) and don’t emphasise the memories and love contained in the displays and corners that make our home so special to us.

• Reply Heidi May 25, 2011 at 1:13 am

I love her frame displays and knickknacks! Lovely, lovely apartment.

• Reply Desha May 25, 2011 at 3:04 am

What a pretty home. I like seeing homes of other bloggers interested in design. Especially nice to see homes w/ children as I try to make my home pretty, but also a fun and lovely place for my daughter. thanks!

• Reply bertdaniel May 25, 2011 at 1:01 pm

An apartment that I recommend for every families! The study rooms really looks great.

• Reply hena tayeb May 25, 2011 at 9:24 pm

The car mobile is adorable

• Reply Lisa May 25, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Oh I love Tina’s apartment so much! it’s so lovely — just like she is! Thanks for sharing it here.

• Reply Trish May 25, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Yay Holly, I love seeing a “real” home here…especially one that is done on a tight budget…and still looks so great. Tina is very talented; isn’t her purse cute too? Anyway, thanks for this feature! I’m so glad you picked her…I’ve been admiring her great photos on Flickr for some time now! :) Have a great day!

• Reply Haust May 27, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Wonderful! I especially like the coffee art collection…