An Inspiring Family Apartment

I love cozy corners and cherish possessions in a home — they are the best parts! I love to see the corners where the home owner reads to her children, where dad relaxes with his favorite novel, where the kids enjoy the company of their best friends… Or simply those moments when the home is silent and there is nothing to be heard except for the purring of Miss Kitty on your lap… Of course, families come in all shapes in sizes, perhaps for you it’s simply your one room apartment with your hamster or your five bedroom house with your partner and three dogs… Or maybe you are still at home with your parents or living in a dorm. The point is, an inspiring home, or “space”,  is one filled with love, warmth, meaningful touches, personalized nooks and an inspiring family (or person) at its core – someone who really cares about their home life – those who live with them and who love being part of a family.

Cozy Spots

The lovely Tina Fussell from the Traveling Mama blog, a lady whom I known know online for several years, has an inspiring family life and an apartment that captures all of these things — she sent in photos of many lovely nooks in her Danish apartment and I thought I’d share them as they have a special feeling of warmth of coziness that I really love.

Tina recently relocated from Morocco to Copenhagen to live in a typical Danish modern apartment that is 1,200 square feet with a large living room in the center with all other rooms off of the living area. She shares this space with her husband and three children, which is amazing because the work involved in maintaining a city apartment with five people must be quite challenging! Imagine?

Art by Studio Violet

Cozy Spots

A traditional Moroccan wedding quilt used in a modern home — so pretty and fresh!

Cozy Spots

What I like about Tina’s home is that her decorating style is a reflection of all the places where they have lived throughout the years and that almost everything has a story since moving frequently to distant lands has forced her to edit when packing for the next destination since she cannot take everything with her. She is forced to carry only what they cannot part with — but this has been a good thing for Tina and her family because now each item in their lovingly curated home has meaning and value. It’s something to consider isn’t it – to really keep those things that have meaning…

Cozy Spots

“I wouldn’t call our home a designer home, it’s my hope to encourage others that a beautiful home can be achieved on a very tight budget and limited resources,” Tina says and I could agree more – one can do a lot with little money, a good eye and a lot of love for decorating and of course, their family life and the dedication they have to making it a nice place to be for themselves and other family members.

Cozy Spots

I Love You Blogs And Coffee print from Made By Girl.

Cozy Spots

Tina thank you for this glimpse into your world, I’ve enjoyed it so much and I’m sure decor8 readers do as well.

Psst: Tina takes lovely photos, as you can see above, and also here in her etsy shop.

(images: tina fussell)

Posted by decor8 in Home Tours on May 23, 2011

1. Andreia commented
    May 23rd, 2011 at 11:53pm

Love to see Tina’s family apartment here! It’s so gorgeous!

2. kalanicut commented
    May 23rd, 2011 at 11:54pm

What fun to see Tina’s home. I’m hoping to do a meet up with her in Denmark, where I have previously lived, next year some time. I love her home, it looks so comfortable, at ease, family friendly with beautiful, creative touches all over. It’s personality, geared so thoughtfully for her family, is inspiring.
    kalanicut´s last blog post ..A Favorite Birthday Gift

3. jenn commented
    May 23rd, 2011 at 11:58pm

What a beautiful home! I LOVE the Moroccan wedding blanket on the bed. AND, I have that same purse. Love it :)
    jenn´s last blog post ..renovate curb appeal- update

4. Minnie commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 12:00am

What a serene and beautiful apartment, which I’m sure is not an easy feat in an apartment with three children. I admire the careful editing, though I’m happy to see the bookcase if full of books, in my opinion, an absolute necessity in a home with kids no matter how spare the decor.

5. Sarah commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 12:00am

What a lovely apartment…I spy IKEA curtains in the bedroom and love the Moroccan quilt on the bed. Thanks for sharing!

6. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 12:21am

So very beautiful, warm and inspiring! I love this home…& as someone who cares VERY much about their home & loves decorating but, knows her home isn’t necessarily for everyone or a decorator’s home..I appreciate other homes that are not done by a decorator per se but, are clearly very beautiful, loved and with well considered and have gorgeous taste within. Thanks for sharing this lovely home!
    xoxo
    Melis

7. Lizet commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 12:31am

Beautiful photos! This kind of decor always wants to make me buy soft pastel glazes for my pots.
    Lizet´s last blog post ..Spotted Honey Pot

8. jenn commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 1:26am

this is a lovely little apartment. thanks for sharing. Prob my favorite I’ve seen in a while… sometimes it’s interior design/decor overload and nothing really sticks out.. but this did today, and it made me smile :)

9. Jordan commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 2:02am

Gorgeous apartment! It’s great to see others decorating on tight space and a tight budget, yet still able to make it beautiful!

I’d love to know how to get a coffee menu like that to frame! (It looks like a Starbucks menu to me.) Source?
    Jordan´s last blog post ..digging in the dirt

10. Lisa commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 2:11am

What an inspiring and “achievable” look for apartment dwellers with families. Thank you for sharing.

11. Annie commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 2:14am

It’s very beautiful. I wonder how they keep it so perfect, with children? I struggle to keep one corner neat and tidy for 5 minutes!

12. Alexis commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 2:21am

I love the blogs and coffee poster. Also love your kitchen hood and the way you use old cameras to give it a vintage look.
    Alexis´s last blog post ..Elements of Style- Part III- Writing for Social Media

13. Victoria commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 2:42am

Lovely, lovely, lovely!
    There is nothing better then a well lived home, which reflects the inhabitants and their passions!
    I am a big fan of living like that!
    Victoria´s last blog post ..Saturday post

14. Ariana commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 4:12am

I love that you featured a very lived-in home, one that a family of five uses every day. These photos capture the warmth and homey-ness of her space. The other thing that is different about this living space is that she hasn’t been here for years– as you mention, she moves around a lot and can only bring the items she loves the most. As someone who has been on the move a lot in the last few years, it is really nice to see photos of a home that has been set up more recently, perhaps with the understanding that it won’t be permanent. There are so many ways to make a home really lovely that don’t require major investments and time. Thanks for featuring this one!
    Ariana´s last blog post ..Daily Photo- The Louvre

15. Catherine Masi commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 4:27am

Oh wow… sweet as heck!

16. sécia commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 5:38am

Love!

– Sécia
    sécia´s last blog post ..weekend in pictures No3

17. Caitlin commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 5:58am

What a lovely home – so many beautiful elements!
    Caitlin´s last blog post ..Exclusive- A Look Inside Elle Decor’s Modern Life Concept House

18. Sarah MacMillan commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 6:31am

A lovely family home. I like how it looks lived in. The mobile in the child’s room is so sweet. Thanks for sharing!
    Sarah MacMillan´s last blog post ..Bright &amp Beautiful Kitchens

19. KMS commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 7:23am

one of my fav’s! unassuming, yet beautiful….love it all!
    KMS´s last blog post ..Whole Wheat Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies

20. Cynthia at Coffee On The Patio commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 7:25am

So lovely, yet cozy at the same time. I love design that doesn’t lose that homey feel.

Cynthia

Cynthia at Coffee On The Patio´s last blog post ..I Love the Group Pink Martini

21. tinajo commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 7:29am

I love this – a very personal, fun and beautiful home. Great colors! :-)
    tinajo´s last blog post ..Cross-stich on the wall!

22. fenny setiawan commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 7:41am

I love Tina and her blog. I ve been following her and read about the adventurous life that she has with her 3 kiddo and hubby. And thank you for sharing this post, makes me feel I know her better and how inspiring is her house can be :)
    fenny setiawan´s last blog post ..Home project 3 – DIning room idea

23. Sabine commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 7:48am

I very much like the color mix and all the tiny little details. Very nice!
    Sabine´s last blog post ..Ein schönes Paar

24. Fiona commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 7:49am

What a fabulous family home – it is beautifully organised and decorated but essentially, looks lived in and loved!

25. meenal @ maison marigold commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 7:51am

beautiful home..love the personal touches everywhere..the art wall in the kitchen..and the blush-tinted walls..that’s the color on my blog today as well! thanks for sharing, holly..have a lovely day..xx meenal
    meenal @ maison marigold´s last blog post ..Monday pinterest love- blush and some glitter

26. The Design Notebook commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 8:50am

What a beautiful apartment.

27. Nat@ dear little house commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 9:33am

So many great little vignettes! Love that style.
    Nat@ dear little house´s last blog post ..Mary and Jesus and Jesus

28. Rosa @ flutterflutter commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 9:40am

Beautiful, warm, inspiring. Thank you!

29. ishtar commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 11:35am

Her home is BEAUTIFUL!! and surely speaks of love and warmth : )
    ishtar´s last blog post ..Weekend sewing ♥ Costura del fin de semana

30. juliette commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 12:10pm

Tina is such a lovely person with a lovely family and yes, also a lovely home! =) I’m happy to call her a friend and also happy to see her featured here. She really does appreciate the creative life and it shows in how she’s made a beautiful home on a budget as well as stocked her own Etsy shop. Definitely check out her Shop 52 series featuring shops around Copenhagen!
    juliette´s last blog post ..7 Reasons Why I Comment on Your Blog

31. Jodie commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 12:41pm

The Art by Studio Violet is cute!

32. Heidi commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 1:15pm

I absolutely love her style – amazing how someone can have such a ‘designed’ home and still make it a home and not a show home. I adore that.
    Really something to think about from my cluttered apartment…

33. Sandra commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 5:54pm

I’ve been following Tina’s blog for a while, so fun to see her beautiful apartment, it looks like a very personal and warm space.
    Sandra´s last blog post ..Accessories for the road

34. keishua commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 7:45pm

What an inspiring apartment. It is gorgeous and comfy–what good design should be.
    keishua´s last blog post ..Digging In

35. Laura Gaskill commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 7:50pm

I am in love :) I read Tina’s blog as well, and I am so inspired by her whole family life, all of their adventures, as well as her style of course! So this was especially gratifying to see her lovely (current) home featured on decor8…and there are so many things to love about it, it looks so comfy cozy and welcoming, so many nice spots to sit and have tea and read books or play with the children. I have my eye on a few of those art prints as well! xoxo Laura
    Laura Gaskill´s last blog post ..Be A Total Photo Genius With Pinhole Press

36. Stephanie berryisland commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 9:45pm

What a beautiful place, love the eclectic mix. Got goosebumps seeing the pom pom flowers in the vase that I made, yay!

37. radostina commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 10:17pm

Beautiful, beautiful home. I love Tina’s style. Thank you, Holly.
    radostina´s last blog post ..The Home of the Decorator in South France ♥ Домът на декоратора в Южна Франция

38. Dawanna Young commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 10:28pm

So lovely and comfortable.
    It looks like ‘home’~
    Dawanna Young´s last blog post ..Aspen earrings chalcedony and eco bronze medallions

39. Clare commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 12:57am

I agree about the nooks and cozy corners are the best bits of a home. I recently was asked for some long shots of the rooms of my house and realised that I never take them. They seem to highlight the bits I don’t like as much (like the need-to-be-painted window frames or dirty floors!) and don’t emphasise the memories and love contained in the displays and corners that make our home so special to us.

40. Heidi commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 1:13am

I love her frame displays and knickknacks! Lovely, lovely apartment.

41. Desha commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 3:04am

What a pretty home. I like seeing homes of other bloggers interested in design. Especially nice to see homes w/ children as I try to make my home pretty, but also a fun and lovely place for my daughter. thanks!

42. bertdaniel commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 1:01pm

An apartment that I recommend for every families! The study rooms really looks great.
    bertdaniel´s last blog post ..Spectrum Signature Services

43. hena tayeb commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 9:24pm

The car mobile is adorable
    hena tayeb´s last blog post ..Two Year Etsyversary

44. Lisa commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 9:41pm

Oh I love Tina’s apartment so much! it’s so lovely — just like she is! Thanks for sharing it here.
    Lisa´s last blog post ..Card Photography Series 2- ISO- shutter speed- and aperture

45. Trish commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 11:03pm

Yay Holly, I love seeing a “real” home here…especially one that is done on a tight budget…and still looks so great. Tina is very talented; isn’t her purse cute too? Anyway, thanks for this feature! I’m so glad you picked her…I’ve been admiring her great photos on Flickr for some time now! :) Have a great day!
    Trish´s last blog post ..Midnight Maidsa Cinderella Treasury Story

46. Haust commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 5:35pm

Wonderful! I especially like the coffee art collection…