A Clever Desk For Standing: INSEKT

I recently came across the INSEKT desk by designers Buisjes En Beugels in Rotterdam in a copy of VTWonen magazine and bookmarked it… BUT I then put the magazine down and forgot all about it as I normally do with magazines until today… When Buisjes En Beugels contacted me. I really, really love their desk for so many reasons — but first, let’s get something out of the way…

Love this work table

It’s being marketed as a kid’s desk because it is available in three sizes, two sizes made for sitting and one size made for standing or using a stool and the desks for sitting are more for children…. so when I read that this was a kid’s desk I nearly deleted the email until I looked at their press release and found the image I had seen in VTWonen shown above. That is definitely not a desk for only kiddies, but definitely for someone like me who hates sitting all day online and enjoys standing to sort through paperwork, email and even have lunch or a cup of tea.

desk

Sitting all of the time is such a growing issue for web freaks like most of us because once you hit thirty (or even sooner these days) you start to pay more attention to your posture, overall health and things like slouching and sitting for hours and hours start to take their toll on your health. I love the INSEKT desk because it’s good looking, has great storage beneath it that is open so it’s easy to find things, and it comes in several nice colors and three sizes – one being the taller model that I’m a big fan of.

I have a desk in my office and a very long work table where I stand to sort through things but it’s standard table height so after awhile of bending down to sort things I notice that my back starts to hurt a bit — so a desk like INSEKT is what I need for sure.

What do you think, do you like having the option of standing more often to use your laptop? To craft? To work on miscellaneous administrative tasks?

(images: vtwonen tear sheet with permission via Buisjes En Beugels)

Posted by decor8 in workspace on May 24, 2011

1. April {iam_artisan} commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 4:19pm

Yeah, that seemed a clever idea… I have to admit, doesn’t look comfy but it sure is a practical design… =)
    April {iam_artisan}´s last blog post ..Address label

2. Tina Ramchandani commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 4:25pm

Love the desk! The additional storage is key.
    Tina Ramchandani´s last blog post ..On the Cheap Three Ways to Spruce Up Your Digs

3. Leanne Ambrogio commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 4:28pm

I love it Holly – this would be perfect – I have really been suffering lately because of the amount of time on the computer so to be able to stand at the desk would be great – are they in Australia yet?? Leanne x
    Leanne Ambrogio´s last blog post ..Happiness – On the Weekend

4. Jenny ~ Something Old, Something New commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 4:29pm

Love this idea! I’m with you on that I need to stand at some point in the day and can’t just sit all day long. I start to get antsy! so this is a great option and love the fun colors!
    Jenny ~ Something Old, Something New´s last blog post ..Tag It

5. Lori Paximadis commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 4:36pm

A standing desk is definitely on my wish list for my office remodel. Sitting all day is tiring and makes my hips achy. It would be great to have the option to stand up at least part of the day. The trick is going to be finding a table that’s the right height to work at comfortably.
    Lori Paximadis´s last blog post ..Screw Factory Open Studios

6. Annabelle commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 4:36pm

Yes yes yes this has been on my mind for a little while for similar reasons. What I’ve pictured in my case is an angled standing desk, a bit like architects use, so I can do my freehand machine embroidery standing, see it properly without needing to lean forward so much and have a little jiggy dance at the same time!
    Annabelle´s last blog post ..Et bah dis donc!

7. Danielle of Pretty Ingrid commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 4:43pm

This is a really great option for those who hate to sit all day. The yellow color is really cheerful, too. I also really like the length. Perfect for prepping art prints and doing tasks that need a bit more space. Now, getting one to Maine…
    Danielle of Pretty Ingrid´s last blog post ..Celebrations- Artsy Bridal Shower Gift

8. emma lamb commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 4:43pm

This is a great find Holly!
    I’ve been having real problems with posture and an aching back recently… you’re right, when you hit thirty you do notice these things more and aren’t able to ‘cope’ with being slouchy! We just invested in a great new matress last month, which is working wonders on my aches and pains, and I’ve stopped using our sofa and switched to a great old rocking chair for watching tv and crocheting (true granny style!). All these changes are great but I still struggle with sitting at the PC… It would be great to have a desk like this one (olive please!) so that I could stand and work. I think it would feel quite liberating as you wouldn’t feel so ‘rooted’ to your chair… !
    Emma, x
    emma lamb´s last blog post ..colour your monday happy

9. whislerpotpie commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 4:56pm

Where do you get a desk like this in the states? It would be so much healthier for me to stand up all day!

10. Verena commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 5:02pm

I love this desk. It´s very original!
    Verena´s last blog post ..Yummy Cosmetic products by Lushcom!

11. Ana commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 5:14pm

Amazing! I’m swooning.

12. Heather commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 5:37pm

It looks great, and having a chair like that would be perfect for standing, or sitting at the desk. Those storage areas are great too…just toss stuff in them, and voila…clean desk!

I have a desk that i made out of a plain door (stained and painted), and then propped up using filing cabinets. I like the extra deep space it provides, and I’m able to keep all my computer equipment on top.
    Heather´s last blog post ..Pretty in Paper

13. tinajo commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 5:48pm

I definately understand what you mean with posture (or lack there of)..! This is a very cute desk, I would like to have it at home. :-)
    tinajo´s last blog post ..This is what I´ll spend the evening doing

14. Sandra commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 5:48pm

I love this office space as a whole- and the chair is so beautiful. I would love a great table for standing when I work, thanks for sharing.

15. Valentina commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 6:06pm

love love and love!!!

16. Candi commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 6:11pm

I love this desk! The height would allow me the option of standing and working, the size would allow me to work on different projects and have more supplies out for inspiration while working on a design, and I love the storage slots!!! It reminds me of an enhanced cutting table…pretty cool.

The colors are nice too…but I prefer a white or more neutral color table/desk to work my projects on.
    Candi´s last blog post ..Octopi earrings

17. kristin commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 6:48pm

I would love to find or build a standing desk. I like the option of having a little stool for those rare moments of sitting, too, but generally, I like to stand to do most things. I get really lazy when it comes to chairs, and because I haven’t been pulling my chair in all the way up to my desk lately, I’ve been leaning and now my lower back is a problem. Standing would be so much better!

18. Ariana commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 7:26pm

I am really pleased that stylish work tables are coming out designed for standing! All of this sitting really does no one any favors, and more research is coming out all of the time about the health consequences of sitting all day. Also, I think that standing while working promotes more creativity and energy, since our whole bodies get to be involved in what we’re doing. So great to see a well-designed standing desk, and thank you for sharing it!
    Ariana´s last blog post ..Daily Photo- The Louvre

19. sécia commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 12:50am

Great desk but too pricey for me! :(

-sécia
    sécia´s last blog post ..weekend in pictures No3

20. jenn commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 4:32am

awww man, after two days sitting on my floor cutting patterns and then fabric, I realized that I am too old to be doing this.. my neck was killing me… This desk is exactly what I need! ohhh…. getting old kinda stinks!

21. Carolyn commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 5:06am

oh i adore this desk holly!

my dad has always used a standing desk — and i never considered the option for me but like so many others sitting all day has become so rough on my back… this inspires me to think about making a switch :)
    Carolyn´s last blog post ..What is Your Current Mantra or Reminder

22. Séries en streaming commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 11:07am

This new kind of table helps you keeping your position straight and your things in order and the colours gives you new ideas and creativity. I enjoy it.

23. Leipzig commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 11:55am

The desk is very nice, perfect for a office!

24. Suzanne commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 1:56pm

Love the desk esp the colours. Btw I am from South Africa and it was so interesting to be able to read the Dutch above the board – I know Afrikaans is very close to Dutch but didn’t realise how similar.

25. Pamela Bates commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 2:08pm

I LOVE it!! some place for everything and it becomes part of the design but still keeps your desktop neat.
    Pamela Bates´s last blog post ..Royal Worcester Bone China Saucer- Delicate and Old

26. patricia commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 3:16pm

Love this desk! I just entertained the idea of a standing desk a few days ago when I realized that I was getting a lot done on, of all things, my kitchen island!

PS – Soooo miss BYW

27. decor8 commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 4:14pm

@Patricia – Awwww, you’re so sweet. :)

28. Hannah McDonald commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 5:36pm

This desk might have to be my new dining room table/work table. The streamlined-ness reminds me of the concept of a parsons table but I like the quantity of storage, plus there’s quite a bit of it!

29. Hannah McDonald commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 5:38pm

This desk might have to be my new dining room table/work table. The streamlined-ness reminds me of the concept of a parsons table but I like the quality/quantity of storage.

As soon as I read the part about turning 30 and posture I sat instantly sat up straighter in my seat! I just turned 30. Seriously, I have got to get on my game. My knee is creaky, I hurt my back at camp…noooooo! Yoga?

30. Hannah McDonald commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 5:39pm

Patricia, I know what you mean. Good thing there’s always BYW dos!
    Hannah McDonald´s last blog post ..Talkin Bout the Carwash- Yeah And a Fun Juxtaposition at the End

31. Odile commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 9:04pm

Love this idea of the extra-height table. I actually jury-rigged an 8′ office supply table that I put up on four cinder blocks. Just the perfect height, no bending, can paint away without any back ache. I’m wondering whether you could tell us info about the stool? I would love to get a higher stool like that so that sometimes, you could just sort of stand/sit while working.

PS- what does BYW mean, from someone NOT in the know! :)

32. Hannah McDonald commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 12:21am

Blogging Your Way, Holly’s e-course for learning how to blog!

33. keva commented
    December 31st, 2011 at 9:25pm

LOVE! now where can i find one like it in the states. any links appreciated!!
    keva´s last blog post ..Senior Web Art Director (Full Time/Texas)