Furniture Trends That I’m Loving

May 24, 2011

I was recently on a business trip in Hamburg doing some consulting for a top magazine here and was able to break away a bit from the boardroom to pop into some favorite shops like Eden Living. I spotted lots of furniture from Italian design firm Gervasoni that I really liked and wanted to highlight so you can see a few of the local trends in my part of the world.

Furniture Trends That Im Loving

First, I see rattan, wicker and cane in furniture and lighting again this year — especially since it’s nearly summer and we’re having an amazing spring ever since mid March with warm temps and sunny skies. Most are out shopping for furniture to “spring-up” their home, balcony, patio, garden… and rattan and other nature materials curated from nature, in addition to synthetic “faux” versions that are water-safe, are all the rage. You see them used both indoors and for outdoor furnishing. It’s common to find them in grey-brown finishes, or just gray, or natural, but also black or white — you’ll occasionally see them in bright colors like red, yellow and hot pink, too. I love the chairs shown above that are both white and natural… that’s a look you don’t see very often is it? Oh, and rattan and metal combined is something you can see too.

I’ve also notice seating (sofas in particular) with unusually high backs (seen above, bottom right). Have you spotted any of those in your part of the world?

Furniture Trends That Im Loving

Another pretty trend I’ve noticed more and more is relaxed, cozy seating in stone gray, white and black with exposed seams. You can spot this “exposed seam” trend in both modern sofas and seating as well as the more country styles. If you look at the images above, notice the gray and eggplant chairs with the exposed seams — I love this look. When you sew, it’s normal to hide the seams by tucking them in and then sewing on top but for this trend, the edges are sewn on the outside for a rough “exposed seam” and I totally love this look right now, especially when the sofa has clean lines and is kind of squishy or the chair has nice lines like the one shown above.

Furniture Trends That Im Loving

Chunky tables, gray-brown and gray wood, exposed seams, rattan, round backs on chairs, rattan lighting painted in high gloss black or white (or gray), these are things that I’m liking at the moment in the world of interiors trends. Of course, that gray headboard with the white edging is gorgeous too – wooden headboards with exposed boards are also a trend – though mostly kept natural and left with a straight edge — but I love how the one above is so fancy – quite a nice look I think, especially if your bedding is kept simple yet layered, with the focus more on texture and materials over pattern. Stripes would look amazing on a bed like that!

What trends in home interiors are you spotting where you live? Do you like any of these things shown above?

(images: gervasoni)

You Might Also Like

• Reply dana perea bloede May 24, 2011 at 6:32 pm

…i love the grey hues on everything, i wouldn’t of thought that color on walls or furniture previously

• Reply Tamara, Bella Boho May 24, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I was just perusing a couple of Euro sites and the wicker lights were everywhere! Linen and wicker are a match made in heaven. Please send some of that nice weather to the States, it’s been a less than stellar Spring!

• Reply Juliette May 24, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I have been loving the high-backed sofa and chair trend and think an enveloping sofa is such a great idea. It’s very cozy and comfortable looking, but modern. I could totally see something like this in my home.

• Reply Lauren May 24, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I looove those hanging white light pendants as well as that dramatic grey headboard!

• Reply Emily May 24, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I really like the natural and white chairs (photo #3) – they remind me a bit of the woven chairs that are always used at outdoor cafes in Paris, but more comfortable and casual. I would love to have those on a porch or patio for the summertime!

• Reply BODIE and FOU May 24, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Oh my…the white linen sofa in the top set is the set by Paola Navone I have been dreaming of since I saw it at MERCI in Paris last year.
    It is stunning and would so complete the look of my lounge and the master plan I had in mind. Unfortunately, our dog Lucas likes using our sofa like if it was his and last week end, I painted a pallet to convert it as a coffee table on which is now lie down on it…I guess the good thing is that is no longer on my sofa!

• Reply Iro {Ivy} May 24, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Gosh! first picture on the top left of your third collage….what an incredible table + chair creation! Wonderful finds Holly!
    Could I asked you to share the link of that picture I mentioned…hopefully ?!

• Reply sarahhardaker May 24, 2011 at 8:22 pm

we are finding that french grey is our best selling colourway this month.

• Reply Christine May 24, 2011 at 8:41 pm

I love Gervasoni, and have spec’d their furniture for clients. What I love the most is the linen sofa, it’s such a comfy and relaxing sofa, but beyond my budget for now. I saw a similar one in Crate and Barrel not as stunning but it still looks good and comfortable.

• Reply sécia May 25, 2011 at 1:02 am

that last chair on the bottom left=awesome.

• Reply Steph Bond Hutkin (Bondville) May 25, 2011 at 1:34 am

We were at the Sheraton LAX in May last year and the lobby was full of high-backed single and multiple-seat sofas. Lots of grey, black, white and a touch of red and silver. I took a few pics:

• Reply Monica May 25, 2011 at 10:18 am

Gervasoni is a fantastic line. I first discovered them at a small garden furniture shop last year. I love the Sweet 27 Chair in black and it is super comfortable – perfect for lounging in the shade on a hot day.

• Reply hena tayeb May 25, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Love the muted tones and the grays.. I have a charcoal gray living room.. and the cut out headboard is awesome.

• Reply Barbara May 29, 2011 at 10:31 am

I have a Ghost sofa in white (yes, white, with two kids under 7 in the household) and I love it! Paola Navone has been designing for Gervasoni for some years now, and she is doing the most amazing job at providing fresh, modern ideas which are fast becoming true classics.

• Reply E. Arredi August 21, 2011 at 10:07 pm

i’ve seen some sofas with high backs but is not a trend… (yet)

greetings from Roma, Italy

• Reply Kylie VK January 26, 2012 at 1:58 am

The fact that woven patterns and rustic wood is coming into trend is wonderful. They are such classic textures that are so versatile. There is not a color that could not work with them. The covered chairs, however, look like bad slip covers.