Dip-Dyed Baskets

I don’t know about you, but this totally caught my eye over at Martha Stewart’s website recently… Dip-dyed baskets, in particular, those cute totes that you see at the weekly farmers’ markets made of straw with the leather handles. I have a couple of them, they’re a dime a dozen where I live so they are easy and cheap to come by. I love the idea of dip-dyed totes using white paint, or I bet silver would look fab too. These are so fresh and summery.

I’d like to have a few of these baskets in my home – maybe one in the living room for magazine storage and another in the kitchen to hold Pellegrino bottles? Here is how to make these beauties.

What do you think of this idea, would you, could you, have you?
(image: martha stewart)

Posted by decor8 in diy on June 03, 2011

1. Ingrid Jansen commented
    June 3rd, 2011 at 11:44pm

Awesome!
    Tomorrow I will try to dip my basket. These kind of projecst are very dangerous for me, because I will look around the house to see what else I could dip… flowerpots, uh… stool legs?!
    Ingrid Jansen´s last blog post ..summer mood garden

2. decor8 commented
    June 3rd, 2011 at 11:51pm

@Ingrid – I’m currently “dipping” my wooden table legs in white paint — I can’t wait to show them when I’m finished. :)

3. Karena commented
    June 4th, 2011 at 12:04am

I think it is a very fresh and fun look! Great image!

xoxo
    Karena
    Karena´s last blog post ..Tracy Porter 250 Gift Card Giveaway!

4. Deb Van commented
    June 4th, 2011 at 12:38am

What an interesting look! Certainly spruces up a summer straw bag.
    Deb Van´s last blog post ..Justin Workboots for Women

5. Teresa Salisbury commented
    June 4th, 2011 at 12:38am

I have not done this, but I will be doing it soon!! What about canvas totes?? I might just give it a try. Thanks for sharing
    Teresa Salisbury´s last blog post ..A new chapter in our life

6. desiree - Vosgesparis commented
    June 4th, 2011 at 12:42am

yes! I love this… I also like numbers written on the baskets in white paint
    desiree – Vosgesparis´s last blog post ..Sourced &amp Sold Industrial furniture

7. Ariana commented
    June 4th, 2011 at 1:05am

I would do this, absolutely! I like this clean look more than the more tribal woven patterns you so often find. And I always love baskets in the kitchen!
    Ariana´s last blog post ..Daily Photo- Parisian Plumbing

8. Mistie commented
    June 4th, 2011 at 2:18am

I have seen this before, and i love them! A great way to spruce a not so good looking basket.
    Mistie´s last blog post ..Vintage APPLE RED Pappagallo loafers

9. kalanicut commented
    June 4th, 2011 at 2:32am

I love these. They are such a fresh take on something that can get so generic and totally boring at times. They are one of my favorite decor ideas I have seen for Summer 2011. Fresh, fresh, fresh.
    kalanicut´s last blog post ..New Addition To The Cycling Family

10. katiedid commented
    June 4th, 2011 at 3:17am

Love this look. Wisteria is selling some right now too.I am tempted to try it myself. Heaven knows I have enough extra baskets laying around.

11. Nat@ dear little house commented
    June 4th, 2011 at 4:22am

Love the baskets! I need to increase my basket collection, they are so handy for storage and display!
    Nat@ dear little house´s last blog post ..We have a winner!

12. Michelle commented
    June 4th, 2011 at 4:47am

L.O.V.E. What a great way to freshen up a plain ol’ basket…**mind racing to think of things I own that could use a dip** :)
    Michelle´s last blog post ..Can I get a woot woot!!

13. patience commented
    June 4th, 2011 at 6:16am

more of that red please! it’s so rich!
    patience´s last blog post ..sinful somethings- set of five envelopes

14. Sam commented
    June 4th, 2011 at 4:17pm

I have this image torn out and hanging on the wall in my studio right now! I’m planning to make some of these this summer and save them for christmas presents.

15. Ada @ New York commented
    June 4th, 2011 at 10:49pm

I spotted the article several months ago in Martha’s mag, tore out the page, and have it on my DIY to-do list-folder for when the season was warmer. So nice to see u posting it … it’s a reminder for me to do it :) Now time to hunt down some baskets …..

16. Marija Rae commented
    June 5th, 2011 at 8:10am

Beautiful !…. love them

17. Sonishka commented
    June 5th, 2011 at 8:46am

Love them! Haha, I want to see your table legs! How do you dip a table :-O
    Sonishka´s last blog post ..Down Under

18. decor8 commented
    June 5th, 2011 at 3:32pm

@Sonishka – Well you sort of don’t — you just give your table kneesocks using paint. :)

19. Simone Leblanc commented
    June 6th, 2011 at 7:16pm

LOVE this! Thanks for sharing.
    Simone Leblanc´s last blog post ..gifts!

20. Rebecca commented
    June 7th, 2011 at 3:24am

Love love love these baskets – great idea!

21. Amelia @ Home Decors commented
    June 7th, 2011 at 8:24am

The baskets in the photo reminded me of my summer days when I was still in middle school at my cousins’ place in Florida. We used to pick apples and other fruits at their farms and we use lots and lots of baskets. It’s one of my unforgettable vacations ever.

22. hena tayeb commented
    June 7th, 2011 at 9:32pm

Great idea.. especially love the red!
    hena tayeb´s last blog post ..Road Trip

23. Helena ROOM and serve commented
    June 10th, 2011 at 9:28pm

Loved it – and I shared it!
    Helena ROOM and serve´s last blog post ..Doppa korgarna i ett färgbad

24. Justine commented
    June 13th, 2011 at 4:24am

Actually this idea came from a whole article on dip dying in Martha Stewart last summer. (I remember drooling over it with a friend of mine on my porch.) If you can find it, you should link to the whole article. I’m sure your readers would enjoy it, esp. some of the amazing indigo dye projects they had.

25. decor8 commented
    June 13th, 2011 at 1:21pm

@Justine – The link does go to the Martha Stewart Living article and is cited in my post. Maybe you didn’t read it but it’s there. :)

26. Brooke H commented
    June 13th, 2011 at 10:21pm

So cool! I’ll def be trying out this DYI at some point this summer.
    Brooke H´s last blog post ..Shes a Sketch Louise