Photographer Jen Huang: Photos + Watercolors

June 9, 2011

I see more and more watercolor-y accents popping up in blog and website design, in magazines, and painterly patterns on clothing and textiles too. It’s a lovely trend that I definitely can ride from here until eternity. The ever talented photographer Jen Huang inspired me so much today with this introduction of watercolors that she offers to her clients along with her fantastic photography, something I’ve only seen before with Leslie’s work and a few others, as well as some Japanese books that I own. I think it’s gorgeous and it just made me happy.

Photographer Jen Huang: Photos + Watercolors

Photographer Jen Huang: Photos + Watercolors

Oh swoon. I love flowers, don’t you? I could write an entire book about them and I owe the love to my mother who was trained as a floral designer – our home was always filled with her arrangements. Some of you will meet her when I’m in Boston in August. She also loved to paint. I should take out my paints sometime and play around and see what I come up with. I really need to make some time to do that again soon. It’s funny, both my mother and aunt were painters, my aunt was a fine artist and art teacher, but I didn’t seem to get the urge to become a painter myself. Until I see work like Jen’s. Then I feel this gentle nudge to play a bit. I adore paintings, especially mixed media collage and watercolor work – two of my favorites – and so perhaps I should experiment a little. It’s been awhile… Do you paint?

Photographer Jen Huang: Photos + Watercolors

Photographer Jen Huang: Photos + Watercolors

Photographer Jen Huang: Photos + Watercolors

Photographer Jen Huang: Photos + Watercolors

Photographer Jen Huang: Photos + Watercolors

I found out about Jen’s paintings on the 100 Layer Cake blog and so I hope you’ll click over to visit that gorgeous wedding wonderland when you have time. It’s a sweet, pastel-filled dream world.

(images: jen huang)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Luciane at June 9, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Oh, my! I’m just waking up and seeing these pretty images makes me feel even happier about this brand new day!

Life is surrounded by beauty. We just need to keep walking in the path that searches for it.

I hope you have a wonderful day.

• Reply tinajo June 9, 2011 at 2:27 pm

These images are breathtaking – thanks for posting them! :-)

• Reply Lace and Tulle June 9, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Love all the photographs!

• Reply Jenny June 9, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Jen’s paintings are very lovely. I will have to click over to the 100 layer cake to see more. As I read about your mom and Aunt being painters it reminded me of my dad and grandmother who were painters. I often pull out my water colors when I feel the urge to be extra creative in a different way. So, pull out your paints and paint something.

• Reply Maria Kallin June 9, 2011 at 2:46 pm

What a wonderful idea with the photos and paintings. Watercolors are my favorite as well. And yes I do paint (with watercolors) but not as often and much as I would like to, it is so much easier to just photograph the things I see. Guess I have become lazy… But this really got me inspired :)

• Reply Cindy June 9, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Wow, beautiful! I don’t paint, but I get to watch my husband paint, and then I try to take credit for them. Just kidding. I am so glad you are coming to Boston for your book tour!!

• Reply allison June 9, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I love the idea of a watercolor painting of a bouquet instead of just photos! I love doing watercolors and ink washes!

• Reply Mariela June 9, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Beautiful photos, I love flowers, flowers make me very happy. Have a nice day.

• Reply Trish June 9, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Ooo, I do love watercolors! I would love to see your paintings. Everytime I’ve watched the movie “Miss Potter” with Renee Zellweger I want to get some painting in again too. I love the bit at the beginning credits with the details of painting.

I am also in love with the photo of the girl on the hill covered with tiny daisies! You always find the best stuff Holly!
    :) Off to check it all out….

• Reply elisa June 9, 2011 at 3:43 pm

oh yes, get out that paintbox! i love how watercolour so easily stretches from hobby to profession. it’s the one kind of painting i could return to again and again, such an intimate scale, and one i can do alongside my children. i tend to use it practically now – like when planning a garden. perhaps if i devote a little spot to it i’ll pull it out more too. x

• Reply PriscilaPetersDecor June 9, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Darling! Who does not love beautiful flowers?? They bring you a great energy.

• Reply Alyson June 9, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I wish I had ANY artistic ability. I love the idea of preserving the memory of a bouquet in a watercolour piece!

• Reply Rosa Contreras June 9, 2011 at 4:16 pm

• Reply Lauren June 9, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I adore these, they’re so so so pretty!

I love flowers too and I love having fresh cut flowers in the house. I try to paint (I too come from a family of artists) but I don’t devote enough time to it to really get into it, which i should and now I feel inspired to do so! :)

• Reply amy June 9, 2011 at 5:54 pm

lovely post! my friend katie does these beautiful illustrations to “preserve floral memories” – check out her work!

• Reply Sarah {A Paper Proposal} June 9, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Such a beautiful post!!!

• Reply saia June 9, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Oh, heavenly photos! Thank you so much for sharing- so pretty! x x x

• Reply Kat June 9, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Loved this Holly, beautiful paintings inspired by photos and flowers= heaven to me too. I do paint when able and mixed media creations are what I love as well.
    Off to check the links now. Sweet wishes Kat x

• Reply Lisa June 9, 2011 at 9:43 pm

So beautiful… I like the idea of wedding bouquets done in watercolor. What could be more meaningful than having a fine art painting as a remembrance of your special day? Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Star Hughes June 10, 2011 at 2:21 am

I love the orange flowers in the jelly jar painting! Beautiful. All of these pictures are gorgeous actually!

• Reply Ea June 10, 2011 at 4:24 am

i do indeed paint! but i find painting flowers difficult. seems like i need some practicing to do. :)

• Reply The Fairy's Apprentice June 10, 2011 at 6:41 am

Just beautiful! I read your blog in Reader, but I needed to comment and to express my gratitude that you found such beautiful pictures and shared them with us! You made my day prettier. Thank you.

• Reply Linnie Joy June 10, 2011 at 4:02 pm

WOW i love those water colours!!

• Reply Jess (Where My Heart Is) June 11, 2011 at 1:13 am

What a wonderful option Jen offers her clients. Wouldn’t it be lovely to have a painting of your bouquet in one’s home. Lovely…

• Reply Jen Huang June 13, 2011 at 5:39 pm

oh how lovely to find my work here… thank you for the beautiful post! xoxojen

• Reply Monica Lee June 13, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Holly, This was a great post! I just gave up a certain amount of “computer generated” art to go back to painting my illustrations and it made me feel so good! I can’t wait to see you in Boston!

• Reply tina June 15, 2011 at 2:13 pm

great work! no,i don’t paint :(