Floral Photographs + Watercolors

I see more and more watercolor-y accents popping up in blog and website design, in magazines, and painterly patterns on clothing and textiles too. It’s a lovely trend that I definitely can ride from here until eternity. The ever talented photographer Jen Huang inspired me so much today with this introduction of watercolors that she offers to her clients along with her fantastic photography, something I’ve only seen before with Leslie’s work and a few others, as well as some Japanese books that I own. I think it’s gorgeous and it just made me happy.

Oh swoon. I love flowers, don’t you? I could write an entire book about them and I owe the love to my mother who was trained as a floral designer – our home was always filled with her arrangements. Some of you will meet her when I’m in Boston in August. She also loved to paint. I should take out my paints sometime and play around and see what I come up with. I really need to make some time to do that again soon. It’s funny, both my mother and aunt were painters, my aunt was a fine artist and art teacher, but I didn’t seem to get the urge to become a painter myself. Until I see work like Jen’s. Then I feel this gentle nudge to play a bit. I adore paintings, especially mixed media collage and watercolor work – two of my favorites – and so perhaps I should experiment a little. It’s been awhile… Do you paint?

I found out about Jen’s paintings on the 100 Layer Cake blog and so I hope you’ll click over to visit that gorgeous wedding wonderland when you have time. It’s a sweet, pastel-filled dream world.

(images: jen huang)

Posted by decor8 in blogs, uncategorized on June 09, 2011

1. Luciane at HomeBunch.com commented
    June 9th, 2011 at 2:17pm

Oh, my! I’m just waking up and seeing these pretty images makes me feel even happier about this brand new day!

Life is surrounded by beauty. We just need to keep walking in the path that searches for it.

I hope you have a wonderful day.

xo

Luciane

2. tinajo commented
    June 9th, 2011 at 2:27pm

These images are breathtaking – thanks for posting them! :-)
    tinajo´s last blog post ..At least one

3. Lace and Tulle commented
    June 9th, 2011 at 2:39pm

Love all the photographs!

4. Jenny commented
    June 9th, 2011 at 2:41pm

Jen’s paintings are very lovely. I will have to click over to the 100 layer cake to see more. As I read about your mom and Aunt being painters it reminded me of my dad and grandmother who were painters. I often pull out my water colors when I feel the urge to be extra creative in a different way. So, pull out your paints and paint something.
    Jenny´s last blog post ..Project House

5. Maria Kallin commented
    June 9th, 2011 at 2:46pm

What a wonderful idea with the photos and paintings. Watercolors are my favorite as well. And yes I do paint (with watercolors) but not as often and much as I would like to, it is so much easier to just photograph the things I see. Guess I have become lazy… But this really got me inspired :)
    Maria Kallin´s last blog post ..Rumex acetosella

6. Cindy commented
    June 9th, 2011 at 2:46pm

Wow, beautiful! I don’t paint, but I get to watch my husband paint, and then I try to take credit for them. Just kidding. I am so glad you are coming to Boston for your book tour!!
    Cindy´s last blog post ..Cheesy Thursday – Jump

7. allison commented
    June 9th, 2011 at 2:52pm

I love the idea of a watercolor painting of a bouquet instead of just photos! I love doing watercolors and ink washes!
    allison´s last blog post ..Best Show on TV

8. Mariela commented
    June 9th, 2011 at 2:57pm

Beautiful photos, I love flowers, flowers make me very happy. Have a nice day.

9. Trish commented
    June 9th, 2011 at 3:33pm

Ooo, I do love watercolors! I would love to see your paintings. Everytime I’ve watched the movie “Miss Potter” with Renee Zellweger I want to get some painting in again too. I love the bit at the beginning credits with the details of painting.

I am also in love with the photo of the girl on the hill covered with tiny daisies! You always find the best stuff Holly!
    :) Off to check it all out….
    Trish´s last blog post ..Chaps in Spokane-Washington Farm Chick Heaven!

10. elisa commented
    June 9th, 2011 at 3:43pm

oh yes, get out that paintbox! i love how watercolour so easily stretches from hobby to profession. it’s the one kind of painting i could return to again and again, such an intimate scale, and one i can do alongside my children. i tend to use it practically now – like when planning a garden. perhaps if i devote a little spot to it i’ll pull it out more too. x

11. PriscilaPetersDecor commented
    June 9th, 2011 at 3:49pm

Darling! Who does not love beautiful flowers?? They bring you a great energy.
    PriscilaPetersDecor´s last blog post ..Reuse what you have

12. Alyson commented
    June 9th, 2011 at 4:00pm

I wish I had ANY artistic ability. I love the idea of preserving the memory of a bouquet in a watercolour piece!
    Alyson´s last blog post ..Wish me luck!

13. Rosa Contreras commented
    June 9th, 2011 at 4:16pm

Beautiful!!

14. Lauren commented
    June 9th, 2011 at 5:25pm

I adore these, they’re so so so pretty!

I love flowers too and I love having fresh cut flowers in the house. I try to paint (I too come from a family of artists) but I don’t devote enough time to it to really get into it, which i should and now I feel inspired to do so! :)
    Lauren´s last blog post ..Neontastic

15. amy commented
    June 9th, 2011 at 5:54pm

lovely post! my friend katie does these beautiful illustrations to “preserve floral memories” – check out her work! http://www.katievernon.com/BOTANICHE/peony.html

16. Sarah {A Paper Proposal} commented
    June 9th, 2011 at 6:28pm

Such a beautiful post!!!
    Sarah {A Paper Proposal}´s last blog post ..Bright and Bubbly Engagement Shoot

17. saia commented
    June 9th, 2011 at 7:15pm

Oh, heavenly photos! Thank you so much for sharing- so pretty! x x x
    saia´s last blog post ..Iris Apfel- the Superhero

18. Kat commented
    June 9th, 2011 at 8:57pm

Loved this Holly, beautiful paintings inspired by photos and flowers= heaven to me too. I do paint when able and mixed media creations are what I love as well.
    Off to check the links now. Sweet wishes Kat x
    Kat´s last blog post ..Garlands galore

19. Lisa commented
    June 9th, 2011 at 9:43pm

So beautiful… I like the idea of wedding bouquets done in watercolor. What could be more meaningful than having a fine art painting as a remembrance of your special day? Thanks for sharing.
    Lisa´s last blog post ..Bougainvillea

20. Star Hughes commented
    June 10th, 2011 at 2:21am

I love the orange flowers in the jelly jar painting! Beautiful. All of these pictures are gorgeous actually!

21. Ea commented
    June 10th, 2011 at 4:24am

i do indeed paint! but i find painting flowers difficult. seems like i need some practicing to do. :)
    Ea´s last blog post ..Social Love2

22. The Fairy's Apprentice commented
    June 10th, 2011 at 6:41am

Just beautiful! I read your blog in Reader, but I needed to comment and to express my gratitude that you found such beautiful pictures and shared them with us! You made my day prettier. Thank you.
    The Fairy’s Apprentice´s last blog post ..This Moment A moment I want to pause- savor and remember

23. Linnie Joy commented
    June 10th, 2011 at 4:02pm

WOW i love those water colours!!

24. Jess (Where My Heart Is) commented
    June 11th, 2011 at 1:13am

What a wonderful option Jen offers her clients. Wouldn’t it be lovely to have a painting of your bouquet in one’s home. Lovely…
    Jess (Where My Heart Is)´s last blog post ..Photo Challenge- Day 10!

25. Jen Huang commented
    June 13th, 2011 at 5:39pm

oh how lovely to find my work here… thank you for the beautiful post! http://www.jenhuangblog.com xoxojen

26. Monica Lee commented
    June 13th, 2011 at 11:42pm

Holly, This was a great post! I just gave up a certain amount of “computer generated” art to go back to painting my illustrations and it made me feel so good! I can’t wait to see you in Boston!
    Monica Lee´s last blog post ..Slow stitching- Slow living

27. tina commented
    June 15th, 2011 at 2:13pm

great work! no,i don’t paint :(