8 Trends That You’ll Love

Lots of people ask me what some of the trends are in Europe overall and how they compare to the United States. It’s a hard question to answer because decorating styles vary from region to region in the states just as here in Europe from country to country as well and even within countries, by regions. What’s hip in London may not cause a stir in Hamburg and what Rome loves may not be what the Dutch want in their home. But of course, that’s being very “correct” about it and the fact is that there really is an answer because there are definitely more dominant styles that you tend to see in most places as you travel around Europe. Today I thought I’d highlight 8 trendy things that I notice as being popular in northern Europe and the UK and I’ll try to tie them in to things you can find in American stores, too. 8 Trends That I love 1. Industrial lighting is a big deal over here. I see it more and more in commercial spaces but also in homes. Particularly in white, black and either polished or brushed silver. I have two white industrial lights in my hallway and a third, a bit different but also industrial style, in my kitchen. Here is the style in which I am referring to… these are from West Elm and are available in red, black, white and yellow.

8 Trends That I love

2. Porcelain hurricanes. Also from West Elm are these porcelain hurricanes. We have them here as well. You tend to find these in every type of shop from HEMA to Depot and even random dollar stores – porcelain hurricanes with holes or patterns so the light dances through them for a romantic mood. Some even have handles on them so you can carry them from room to room easily or hang them on your porch. Still others are available as lamps, like these from Pol’s Potten via Le Souk.

1st Options

(1st option)

reclaimed trend

(boligliv)

3. Mixed chairs around a table or even a bench and some chairs. You can bring in a little Eames, Phillipe, and an Arne along with some IKEA chairs and form your own little grouping around your dining table, or you can place 3 chairs on one side and a long wooden bench on the other with some cushions. You can even mix in stools! Mixing chairs is a trend here, you see it some of the more hipster eateries and cafes and you’ll notice it in people’s homes when you’re flipping through magazines.

8 Trends That I love

tolix chairs

(from skona hem via style files)

4. Tolix chairs. While we’re on chairs, tolix chairs are quite a hit on this side of the pond. You an spot them everywhere, with or without arms. from Liberty in London to basic home stores in Germany for $100 or less. White and silver are the most common colors, but you can find peachy pink, lime, aqua, black… They are great in a kitchen or even around a dining table. I have a few white ones in my office around my big work table. You can get them in the states at lots of stores, like Pottery Barn, for example.

8 Trends That I love

5. Rustic furniture. Anything that looks slightly worn like this sideboard from Graham & Green would be considered a hit. It’s gorgeous, natural and warm but still the lines are very clean and modern.  8 Trends That I love Studio Ditte

6. Reclaimed wood furniture and accents in various muted colors. Okay so this is also rustic furniture but it really is in it’s own class. I was at a craft market yesterday and a lady who was selling jewelry had the most clever displays in her booth using wood scraps from the attic in her 400-year-old German farmhouse. She turned these pieces into tables and mounted them on trestles and then used a pale mint paint to wipe over the wood to create this fantastic hint of color. Along with her gold jewelry and porcelain pendants, it was a gorgeous combination, so gorgeously tactile. Piet Hein Eek comes to mind as a leader, but there are hundreds of other ways to bring reclaimed wood into the home from installing it on walls and ceilings to using wallpaper from Studio Ditte that looks like reclaimed wood. This is my dream cabinet. In America you can find reclaimed stuff at lots of stores, Sundance comes to mind (here).

8 Trends That I love

7. Glass display bell jars. Or you may call them glass domes, cake domes, cloches, they go by many names. My goodness, these are everywhere and used for everything! Cakes, cupcakes, books, flowers, trinkets, there is no end to the creative uses of display domes. Those with a black base are common (my favorites are from House Doctor in Denmark) or you can find the domes sold without a base and then you place them on top of white ceramic cake stands, for instance. For the romantics, you have ones that are etched with a handle. For the modernists, you have the smooth domes without etching and no handle on top and for everyone else you have those with a round knob on top to use as a handle but no etching on the glass. 8 Trends That I love

8. Liberty-esque prints. Whether from Liberty (my preference) or not, you cannot avoid the sweetness and popularity of tiny floral prints that seem to be everywhere these days from clothing stores like H&M to fabric shops and home accessories stores. Introduce them in small ways in the home and you’ll go far – as napkin ring holders, wallpaper behind your guest bed, lining in a drawer. That way, your home won’t come across too girly. Mix tiny florals with solids, stripes and over-scale florals to “grow them up” a bit, too.

What trends have you spotted that you love and that you not only see in Europe but in America or wherever you live, too? I’ve just skimmed the surface, there are so many more!

Oh and while I’m at it — here’s a bonus trend – APPLE CRATES! Read all about those here.

(images linked to their sources above.)

Posted by decor8 in trends on June 20, 2011

1. Luciane at HomeBunch.com commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 4:40pm

Wow… how did you know I was going to love them all? ;-)

They’re all beautiful yet simple and I like that!

Have a blessed week!

xo

Luciane.

2. magalerie commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 4:48pm

Very inspiring !

3. Karena commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 4:59pm

I really love the lighting and the pierced hurricanes. I would add fabric padded custom headboards!

xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

4. Ilaria commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 5:01pm

I love this post Holly!
    Loved especially Piet Hein Eek: I’ve visited the shop a week ago!

5. desiree - Vosgesparis commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 5:05pm

Although I am living at the same side of the pont you are I really enjoyed reading your post. I love it if it is shown one really took the time to find images and think about what the trend really is.. I think Muuto lamps out of rubber are trends as well.. although they just released an industrial looking type as well ;)
    Ohh and that cabinet.. you can find it at the Frozen Fountain in Amsterdam next week ;) It is in the city guide on my blog
    ( http://vosgesparis.blogspot.com/p/amsterdam-city-guide.html )

6. Andrea @ Strawberry-Chic commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 5:07pm

I love the new industrial lighting trend. My mom just re-modeled her kitchen and I’ve been trying to convince her to buy some industrial pendants for her island!

7. currystrumpet commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 5:07pm

Wow. This is pretty spot on. I relied heavily on a Dutch shelter magazine when I moved to Amsterdam and redecorated my apartment early this year, and looked around at a lot of local home stores. This sums up practically everything I saw!

8. Lorna - Garrendenny Lane commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 5:13pm

A really nice collection of images, my favourite has to be the mixed seating around the table (partly because I have achieved that one effortlessly!)

9. starlinguk commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 5:15pm

I love them, but the fact is that all European countries are COMPLETELY different, decoration-wise and otherwise. There is nothing “correct” about it. I’m Dutch. You won’t see me using humongous dark bedroom sets and tiling all the floors, like the Italians do. Or have three *huge* sofas cramping a little room like the Brits do (with magnolia walls). There is no comparison. You could just as well say the US and China have soooo much in common.

10. Sabine commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 5:15pm

Thanks a lot for this special trend collection. I think another one is the retro love. Ceramics and patterns of the 60ies and 70ies are coming back to our homes. xo, Sabine

11. Mrs Bok commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 5:16pm

They are trends I see everywhere in Australian stores too. The white theme only started a little while ago though. I love your images – as always! And am always hunting for the perfect rustic sideboard. An old haberdashery desk/cupboard/sideboard is what I’m after!

12. decor8 commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 5:50pm

@starlinguk – I already acknowledged that in my introduction quite openly, perhaps you didn’t read the post!

13. irina commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 5:55pm

I like mixed chairs. Thanx for sharing!

14. Claire | Hearthandmade UK commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 6:53pm

I managed to get that turquoisey thermos type flask on eBay last week for £4 ^_^

15. Kat commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 8:02pm

I love it when reclaimed wood is used in art pieces, because I don’t feel overwhelmed by it. Sometimes like Dolan Geiman’s art- its a nice balance of weathered and warm.

16. FIDM Fashion Club commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 8:09pm

I can totally see a difference between the European decorating trends and the American decorating trends. I can also see someone mixing these trends and creating a really unique space too :) Great pics!

17. Juliette commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 8:32pm

I totally agree with the bench/chair mix at the dining tables. I see that everywhere here in Germany from low to high end places.

I’m a big fan of the glass domes and have a few myself. They really make little arrangements stand out, meaning you don’t have to have as many little scenes to make an impact. Because I’m lazy I like that the domes are easy to dust -so much nicer than having to dust little styled stacks!

Oversized lanterns are another trend item here in Germany that I love. They fill up awkward spaces, are easy to clean, are visually pleasing both lit and not, and fit with almost every style of decor. They can also be taken outdoors to light up a patio or balcony. Awesome!

ps-I’m not a clean freak, I just live with one! =P

18. iane commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 8:43pm

@claire: those are the typical chinese thermos flasks – when i was travelling there two years ago, they would always put one of them in front of your door early in the morning. Usually they have (sort of disgusting ;)) cork or rubber plugs for closing instead of screw-ons. I want one of them for my house, too!

19. Christina commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 8:48pm

Loved this post! My favorite trends from this list are industrial lighting, mismatched chairs, rustic furniture, and glass domes! So, most of it in other words. Haha. I’ve been dying to find a cloche or two at a reasonable price. The ones I like always seem to be $40+ and I’m just not willing to spend that much on one. At least not with the current budget. :)

20. kate commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 9:52pm

yep! just placed 2 tolix chairs on my front porch. i love the look. :)

21. Lauren commented
    June 21st, 2011 at 12:11am

Great post!

I love all of these trends! :)

22. Val commented
    June 21st, 2011 at 1:00am

As always very nice trends but what i enjoy the most, first time visit, is HEMA shop amzing when you open the page, never saw this before

23. shannon fricke commented
    June 21st, 2011 at 1:03am

Holly,
    I love this post – in fact, some of the beautiful wallpaper has just arrived on my desk – and will be integrated into an interior soon. Can’t wait to see it up and styled…
    Hope all is well with you…
    sx

24. hena tayeb commented
    June 21st, 2011 at 1:40am

Love the bell jars. The industrial lighting.. already bought a lamp for my husbands desk and the hurricanes a lovely.

25. Zsa Zsa commented
    June 21st, 2011 at 3:51am

Okay, I can’t decide which one I like best — I like them all! Industrial lighting seems to be all the rage these days, love how they come in all shapes and colors! Also love the reclaimed wood furniture in various muted colors! So “rustically pretty!”

26. Nicole commented
    June 21st, 2011 at 10:02am

Really love this post, esp. Tolix chair!! Would u mind telling me where to get this chair in Germany, didn”t see it so far. Thax!

27. debbie commented
    June 21st, 2011 at 10:41am

stunning

28. Margarita Lorenzo commented
    June 21st, 2011 at 11:35am

You got right, industrial lighting, mix and match chairs, reclaimed wood and domes, did I forget anything?? or yes a big budget please!!!

29. Jennifer commented
    June 21st, 2011 at 11:45am

Great post! I love all these trends, especially mixing chairs. We have so many glass domes at my work (I work in a huge antiques warehouse) which I wish I could buy as well.

30. The Design Notebook commented
    June 21st, 2011 at 2:11pm

Butterfly prints! I see them everywhere at the moment!

31. able mabel commented
    June 21st, 2011 at 8:31pm

Hey! My house is “in style”!! We have a mixture of chairs around our dining room table, but somehow it doesn’t look nearly as nice as the pictures you have on here. ;)

32. Angella Eisman Design commented
    June 21st, 2011 at 8:31pm

Nice post…love all the trends mentioned. Makes me want to go switch around my dining room chairs!

33. Karlita commented
    June 22nd, 2011 at 3:30am

I super loved this post!! thanx for gathering all this information and images for your readers!.. I loved them all.. which I could totally change my home decor every 6 months to see all the trends I find in inspiring posts like this one.

34. Ea commented
    June 22nd, 2011 at 4:12am

i love them all! but the belljars and floral prints in particular. they add a nostalgic feel to any room. reclaimed wood is also a very good way to recycle wood. thanks for sharing!

35. Yvonne commented
    June 22nd, 2011 at 9:13am

Dear Holly,
    you would be totally surprised walking into a Korean shop or Cafe seeing exactly these trends here so far away from Europe. They love the same things here because they have a deep connection to European styles. I was so surprised to find all these things here in the shops I knew from European interior magazines but could never shop “live” back in Germany, only online. And the cafes here look like the homes of Northern Europe with all this mix of light coloured chipped wood, industrial lightning, Scandinavian vintage furniture (you see the shops ere a lot) and items from European designers. If you are interested I’ll send over the Korean Marie Claire Idees, Elle Decor, AD and some other lovelies. Who would have guessed to find all this here?. And of course: I love these trends you mentioned – all of them!
    Enjoy Amsterdam! – I love it and these people are soooo friendly and the women so cool! – send greetings from me!
    Yvonne

36. liz commented
    June 22nd, 2011 at 8:44pm

Love love love trolix chairs. Just picked up some knock-offs (seems like every one is producing them these days) to go with our new west elm industrial dining table.

Feels like the re-purposed/industrial look is getting heavy play everywhere right now.

37. Kenny Home Decor commented
    June 23rd, 2011 at 8:55pm

I love industrial lighting… I know it is all the rage…but I just love that look

38. Galia commented
    June 23rd, 2011 at 11:06pm

I love the rustic furniture!
    (and can afford none)

39. Glenda Childers commented
    June 24th, 2011 at 3:10am

I love this 8 trends post. I was surprised that all 8 would be very easy to add to any home.

Fondly,
    Glenda

40. Christine commented
    July 4th, 2011 at 7:38am

Hello, perhaps I missed it, with all of the wonderful items shown in this post, however I would surely love to know the artist/maker/manufacturer of the rustic table with bench on one side chairs opposite which you also have shown on your flicker album as follows:

Thank you so much for a wonderful blog and website!

Sincerely,

Christine

41. decor8 commented
    July 5th, 2011 at 3:09pm

@Christine – Unsure, it was a magazine shot and the source was not listed for the furniture.

42. Amy commented
    July 15th, 2011 at 8:11pm

So in love with some of these and already incorporating them at home (always a good feeling to know you’re on trend!). Thanks for this post!

43. Mary I commented
    August 3rd, 2011 at 5:03pm

YES!!!!! I was trying to figure this out…. because I want to mix & match. Coooolll!!!!!!!

44. Madame Coussins commented
    February 26th, 2012 at 8:23pm

Tellement vrai ! Fan des chaises Tolix aussi.