8 Trends That You’ll Love

June 20, 2011

Lots of people ask me what some of the trends are in Europe overall and how they compare to the United States. It’s a hard question to answer because decorating styles vary from region to region in the states just as here in Europe from country to country as well and even within countries, by regions. What’s hip in London may not cause a stir in Hamburg and what Rome loves may not be what the Dutch want in their home. But of course, that’s being very “correct” about it and the fact is that there really is an answer because there are definitely more dominant styles that you tend to see in most places as you travel around Europe. Today I thought I’d highlight 8 trendy things that I notice as being popular in northern Europe and the UK and I’ll try to tie them in to things you can find in American stores, too. 8 Trends That Youll Love 1. Industrial lighting is a big deal over here. I see it more and more in commercial spaces but also in homes. Particularly in white, black and either polished or brushed silver. I have two white industrial lights in my hallway and a third, a bit different but also industrial style, in my kitchen. Here is the style in which I am referring to… these are from West Elm and are available in red, black, white and yellow.

8 Trends That Youll Love

2. Porcelain hurricanes. Also from West Elm are these porcelain hurricanes. We have them here as well. You tend to find these in every type of shop from HEMA to Depot and even random dollar stores – porcelain hurricanes with holes or patterns so the light dances through them for a romantic mood. Some even have handles on them so you can carry them from room to room easily or hang them on your porch. Still others are available as lamps, like these from Pol’s Potten via Le Souk.

8 Trends That Youll Love

(1st option)

8 Trends That Youll Love

3. Mixed chairs around a table or even a bench and some chairs. You can bring in a little Eames, Phillipe, and an Arne along with some IKEA chairs and form your own little grouping around your dining table, or you can place 3 chairs on one side and a long wooden bench on the other with some cushions. You can even mix in stools! Mixing chairs is a trend here, you see it some of the more hipster eateries and cafes and you’ll notice it in people’s homes when you’re flipping through magazines.

8 Trends That Youll Love

8 Trends That Youll Love

(from skona hem via style files)

4. Tolix chairs. While we’re on chairs, tolix chairs are quite a hit on this side of the pond. You an spot them everywhere, with or without arms. from Liberty in London to basic home stores in Germany for $100 or less. White and silver are the most common colors, but you can find peachy pink, lime, aqua, black… They are great in a kitchen or even around a dining table. I have a few white ones in my office around my big work table. You can get them in the states at lots of stores, like Pottery Barn, for example.

8 Trends That Youll Love

5. Rustic furniture. Anything that looks slightly worn like 8 Trends That Youll Love

6. Reclaimed wood furniture and accents in various muted colors. Okay so this is also rustic furniture but it really is in it’s own class. I was at a craft market yesterday and a lady who was selling jewelry had the most clever displays in her booth using wood scraps from the attic in her 400-year-old German farmhouse. She turned these pieces into tables and mounted them on trestles and then used a pale mint paint to wipe over the wood to create this fantastic hint of color. Along with her gold jewelry and porcelain pendants, it was a gorgeous combination, so gorgeously tactile. Piet Hein Eek comes to mind as a leader, but there are hundreds of other ways to bring reclaimed wood into the home from installing it on walls and ceilings to using wallpaper from Studio Ditte that looks like reclaimed wood. This is my dream cabinet. In America you can find reclaimed stuff at lots of stores, Sundance comes to mind (here).

8 Trends That Youll Love

7. Glass display bell jars. Or you may call them glass domes, cake domes, cloches, they go by many names. My goodness, these are everywhere and used for everything! Cakes, cupcakes, books, flowers, trinkets, there is no end to the creative uses of display domes. Those with a black base are common (my favorites are from House Doctor in Denmark) or you can find the domes sold without a base and then you place them on top of white ceramic cake stands, for instance. For the romantics, you have ones that are etched with a handle. For the modernists, you have the smooth domes without etching and no handle on top and for everyone else you have those with a round knob on top to use as a handle but no etching on the glass. 8 Trends That Youll Love

8. Liberty-esque prints. Whether from Liberty (my preference) or not, you cannot avoid the sweetness and popularity of tiny floral prints that seem to be everywhere these days from clothing stores like H&M to fabric shops and home accessories stores. Introduce them in small ways in the home and you’ll go far – as napkin ring holders, wallpaper behind your guest bed, lining in a drawer. That way, your home won’t come across too girly. Mix tiny florals with solids, stripes and over-scale florals to “grow them up” a bit, too.

What trends have you spotted that you love and that you not only see in Europe but in America or wherever you live, too? I’ve just skimmed the surface, there are so many more!

Oh and while I’m at it — here’s a bonus trend — APPLE CRATES! Read all about those here.

(images linked to their sources above.)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Luciane at June 20, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Wow… how did you know I was going to love them all? ;-)

They’re all beautiful yet simple and I like that!

Have a blessed week!

• Reply magalerie June 20, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Very inspiring !

• Reply Karena June 20, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I really love the lighting and the pierced hurricanes. I would add fabric padded custom headboards!

Art by Karena

• Reply Ilaria June 20, 2011 at 5:01 pm

I love this post Holly!
    Loved especially Piet Hein Eek: I’ve visited the shop a week ago!

• Reply desiree - Vosgesparis June 20, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Although I am living at the same side of the pont you are I really enjoyed reading your post. I love it if it is shown one really took the time to find images and think about what the trend really is.. I think Muuto lamps out of rubber are trends as well.. although they just released an industrial looking type as well ;)
    Ohh and that cabinet.. you can find it at the Frozen Fountain in Amsterdam next week ;) It is in the city guide on my blog
    ( )

• Reply Andrea @ Strawberry-Chic June 20, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I love the new industrial lighting trend. My mom just re-modeled her kitchen and I’ve been trying to convince her to buy some industrial pendants for her island!

• Reply currystrumpet June 20, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Wow. This is pretty spot on. I relied heavily on a Dutch shelter magazine when I moved to Amsterdam and redecorated my apartment early this year, and looked around at a lot of local home stores. This sums up practically everything I saw!

• Reply Lorna - Garrendenny Lane June 20, 2011 at 5:13 pm

A really nice collection of images, my favourite has to be the mixed seating around the table (partly because I have achieved that one effortlessly!)

• Reply starlinguk June 20, 2011 at 5:15 pm

I love them, but the fact is that all European countries are COMPLETELY different, decoration-wise and otherwise. There is nothing “correct” about it. I’m Dutch. You won’t see me using humongous dark bedroom sets and tiling all the floors, like the Italians do. Or have three *huge* sofas cramping a little room like the Brits do (with magnolia walls). There is no comparison. You could just as well say the US and China have soooo much in common.

• Reply decor8 June 20, 2011 at 5:50 pm

@starlinguk – I already acknowledged that in my introduction quite openly, perhaps you didn’t read the post!

• Reply Sabine June 20, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Thanks a lot for this special trend collection. I think another one is the retro love. Ceramics and patterns of the 60ies and 70ies are coming back to our homes. xo, Sabine

• Reply Mrs Bok June 20, 2011 at 5:16 pm

They are trends I see everywhere in Australian stores too. The white theme only started a little while ago though. I love your images – as always! And am always hunting for the perfect rustic sideboard. An old haberdashery desk/cupboard/sideboard is what I’m after!

• Reply irina June 20, 2011 at 5:55 pm

I like mixed chairs. Thanx for sharing!

• Reply Claire | Hearthandmade UK June 20, 2011 at 6:53 pm

I managed to get that turquoisey thermos type flask on eBay last week for £4 ^_^

• Reply Kat June 20, 2011 at 8:02 pm

I love it when reclaimed wood is used in art pieces, because I don’t feel overwhelmed by it. Sometimes like Dolan Geiman’s art- its a nice balance of weathered and warm.

• Reply FIDM Fashion Club June 20, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I can totally see a difference between the European decorating trends and the American decorating trends. I can also see someone mixing these trends and creating a really unique space too :) Great pics!

• Reply Juliette June 20, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I totally agree with the bench/chair mix at the dining tables. I see that everywhere here in Germany from low to high end places.

I’m a big fan of the glass domes and have a few myself. They really make little arrangements stand out, meaning you don’t have to have as many little scenes to make an impact. Because I’m lazy I like that the domes are easy to dust -so much nicer than having to dust little styled stacks!

Oversized lanterns are another trend item here in Germany that I love. They fill up awkward spaces, are easy to clean, are visually pleasing both lit and not, and fit with almost every style of decor. They can also be taken outdoors to light up a patio or balcony. Awesome!

ps-I’m not a clean freak, I just live with one! =P

• Reply iane June 20, 2011 at 8:43 pm

@claire: those are the typical chinese thermos flasks – when i was travelling there two years ago, they would always put one of them in front of your door early in the morning. Usually they have (sort of disgusting ;)) cork or rubber plugs for closing instead of screw-ons. I want one of them for my house, too!

• Reply Christina June 20, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Loved this post! My favorite trends from this list are industrial lighting, mismatched chairs, rustic furniture, and glass domes! So, most of it in other words. Haha. I’ve been dying to find a cloche or two at a reasonable price. The ones I like always seem to be $40+ and I’m just not willing to spend that much on one. At least not with the current budget. :)

• Reply kate June 20, 2011 at 9:52 pm

yep! just placed 2 tolix chairs on my front porch. i love the look. :)

• Reply Lauren June 21, 2011 at 12:11 am

Great post!

I love all of these trends! :)

• Reply Val June 21, 2011 at 1:00 am

As always very nice trends but what i enjoy the most, first time visit, is HEMA shop amzing when you open the page, never saw this before

• Reply shannon fricke June 21, 2011 at 1:03 am

I love this post – in fact, some of the beautiful wallpaper has just arrived on my desk – and will be integrated into an interior soon. Can’t wait to see it up and styled…
    Hope all is well with you…

• Reply hena tayeb June 21, 2011 at 1:40 am

Love the bell jars. The industrial lighting.. already bought a lamp for my husbands desk and the hurricanes a lovely.

• Reply Zsa Zsa June 21, 2011 at 3:51 am

Okay, I can’t decide which one I like best — I like them all! Industrial lighting seems to be all the rage these days, love how they come in all shapes and colors! Also love the reclaimed wood furniture in various muted colors! So “rustically pretty!”

• Reply Nicole June 21, 2011 at 10:02 am

Really love this post, esp. Tolix chair!! Would u mind telling me where to get this chair in Germany, didn”t see it so far. Thax!

• Reply debbie June 21, 2011 at 10:41 am

• Reply Margarita Lorenzo June 21, 2011 at 11:35 am

You got right, industrial lighting, mix and match chairs, reclaimed wood and domes, did I forget anything?? or yes a big budget please!!!

• Reply Jennifer June 21, 2011 at 11:45 am

Great post! I love all these trends, especially mixing chairs. We have so many glass domes at my work (I work in a huge antiques warehouse) which I wish I could buy as well.

• Reply The Design Notebook June 21, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Butterfly prints! I see them everywhere at the moment!

• Reply able mabel June 21, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Hey! My house is “in style”!! We have a mixture of chairs around our dining room table, but somehow it doesn’t look nearly as nice as the pictures you have on here. ;)

• Reply Angella Eisman Design June 21, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Nice post…love all the trends mentioned. Makes me want to go switch around my dining room chairs!

• Reply Karlita June 22, 2011 at 3:30 am

I super loved this post!! thanx for gathering all this information and images for your readers!.. I loved them all.. which I could totally change my home decor every 6 months to see all the trends I find in inspiring posts like this one.

• Reply Ea June 22, 2011 at 4:12 am

i love them all! but the belljars and floral prints in particular. they add a nostalgic feel to any room. reclaimed wood is also a very good way to recycle wood. thanks for sharing!

• Reply Yvonne June 22, 2011 at 9:13 am

Dear Holly,
    you would be totally surprised walking into a Korean shop or Cafe seeing exactly these trends here so far away from Europe. They love the same things here because they have a deep connection to European styles. I was so surprised to find all these things here in the shops I knew from European interior magazines but could never shop “live” back in Germany, only online. And the cafes here look like the homes of Northern Europe with all this mix of light coloured chipped wood, industrial lightning, Scandinavian vintage furniture (you see the shops ere a lot) and items from European designers. If you are interested I’ll send over the Korean Marie Claire Idees, Elle Decor, AD and some other lovelies. Who would have guessed to find all this here?. And of course: I love these trends you mentioned – all of them!
    Enjoy Amsterdam! – I love it and these people are soooo friendly and the women so cool! – send greetings from me!

• Reply liz June 22, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Love love love trolix chairs. Just picked up some knock-offs (seems like every one is producing them these days) to go with our new west elm industrial dining table.

Feels like the re-purposed/industrial look is getting heavy play everywhere right now.

• Reply Kenny Home Decor June 23, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I love industrial lighting… I know it is all the rage…but I just love that look

• Reply Galia June 23, 2011 at 11:06 pm

I love the rustic furniture!
    (and can afford none)

• Reply Glenda Childers June 24, 2011 at 3:10 am

I love this 8 trends post. I was surprised that all 8 would be very easy to add to any home.

• Reply Christine July 4, 2011 at 7:38 am

Hello, perhaps I missed it, with all of the wonderful items shown in this post, however I would surely love to know the artist/maker/manufacturer of the rustic table with bench on one side chairs opposite which you also have shown on your flicker album as follows:

Thank you so much for a wonderful blog and website!

• Reply decor8 July 5, 2011 at 3:09 pm

@Christine – Unsure, it was a magazine shot and the source was not listed for the furniture.

• Reply Amy July 15, 2011 at 8:11 pm

So in love with some of these and already incorporating them at home (always a good feeling to know you’re on trend!). Thanks for this post!

• Reply Mary I August 3, 2011 at 5:03 pm

YES!!!!! I was trying to figure this out…. because I want to mix & match. Coooolll!!!!!!!

• Reply Madame Coussins February 26, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Tellement vrai ! Fan des chaises Tolix aussi.