Inspired By Birgitta Wolfgang Drejer

I’ve been a fan of Birgitta Wolfgang Drejer for many years now, ever since finding her work in a German magazine while browsing a newsstand in Berlin and I own several of the books that she has photographed. Do you know of her work? I’ve talked about her before but in case you missed it, Birgitta is a talented Danish lifestyle and interiors photographer with a fashion background for over twenty years and her work feels both raw and rustic but also feminine and casual. She is excellent with lighting and creating moods with it, her photos feel so real and not at all staged or pretend. She has photographed a lot of products and stills for lifestyle brand Tine K Home, most of those photographs are very moody and dark while those shown below tend to lean more towards light and bright. I love her for this diversity in moods and find so many others now out there recreating what Birgitta herself is a pioneer of, in my opinion.

Inspired by...

Inspired by...

Inspired by...

Inspired by...

Inspired by...

Recently, I was reading Skona Hem and found photographs of her own home and felt so inspired by how very white it is, especially since she’s a busy mother with a booming career. It’s amazing! You can see her entire home on their website, but I’ve included a few of my favorites below so that you can get a sense of her personal style and her love of white.

Inspired by...

Inspired by...

Inspired by...

Inspired by...

She’s a lady after my heart with her love of white with touches of pastels and hints of gray and black! If you’d like to see more inspiring spaces photographed by Birgitta, do visit the French home of designer Jane Whitfield. Oh la la! It’s lovely.

Did you notice the notes on the photos above? It’s a good habit to get into and I talked about this in my book in the mood boards section. As you are collecting inspiration, it’s really important that you identify with post-its or some type of noting system what you like about the image. It could be that you really only like the curtains or the lighting or even the floor. It’s crutical to pinpoint your likes as this helps you immensely when it comes to developing your own personal style. I’ve been doing this since I was a teenager in both fashion magazines and decorating ones, but if you are new to this it’s a fun exercise but also very telling!

Are you a fan of pugs, by the way? The little one on her sofa made me smile today. I have this animal pinboard that I’ve been working on over at Pinterest that, if you’re an animal lover, I do think you’ll like it so please have a visit. I think my many cute creatures will bring a smile to your face and warm your heart.

(images: birgitta wolfgang drejer)

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips on June 20, 2011

1. Juliet commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 5:46pm

I am in love with white rooms that have black accents and some color pops.
    Pugs, I like in pictures, but I don’t know any personally.
    Is that lavender wall faded up from white? Love that.
    As ever, inspired by your beautiful blog today.

2. Ege Denne commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 6:26pm

LOVE IT!

3. samantha commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 6:33pm

oOOo thanks for the tips, I’ve recently re-painted our living room white, and am on the look out for ideas to add to it. Love the idea of a wall paper table as a desk, though it does look quite a sturdy one, I have one similar but it sags in the middle.

4. Alyssa Steffes commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 6:54pm

I think noting each photo is a great idea! I’ll have to remember that- it makes what you love about the picture/room stand out and come first.

I love all animals and pugs are definitely up there on the cute scale. They are grunty little dogs!

As for the style- I really like a lot of the accents here. Personally I think I enjoy more color but this theme works!

Alyssa Steffes

5. Julie khuu commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 7:00pm

Love that lavender room with the huge pink painting! What a beautiful color story, especially for a child’s room, it filled with tons of inspiration! The hint of color for creative freedom, the pops of cherry for a splash of fun, that adorable pug for a friendly companion…she’s captured pure magic in these shots…definitely very inspirational!

xo-Julie
    Peace. Love. LOL!

6. Lucia commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 7:01pm

Incredible photographer! thanks for sharing it. I like the dark tonalities of her images. I´m also loving the white, brown, black, silver and violet combination on some … my living room deco is going that way!

7. Alexa commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 7:06pm

Gorgeous images! Love all of the white!

8. meenal @ maison marigold commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 7:11pm

I did see her apartment in skona hem but wasn’t aware of her talent at that time..such beautiful home..love the tags/labels you have given..indeed a good idea..thanks for sharing, holly..have a lovely monday..warm hugs..xx meenal

9. Erica Cottrill commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 7:19pm

Love the all-white spaces. Even with modern touches, it has cozy feel. I especially love the use of funky artwork in some of the rooms.

10. mrs. french commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 7:42pm

oh my…thank you for the introduction! inspiration overload! xo t

11. Lizet commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 7:45pm

Simple white can be so pretty!

12. desiree - Vosgesparis commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 7:48pm

Love the blown up picture from the girl with tiara ;)

13. FIDM Fashion Club commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 8:07pm

I also love the touches of white! They can be so refreshing and what’s even more chic are the touches of pink in an all white room. It makes the color stand out even more!

14. Dondra commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 8:32pm

Great tip! I too have been putting notes on photographs and on pictures I’ve torn out of magazines for many years. It’s fun to look back through my old idea books and see where my tastes have changed and where they have stayed the same.

And yes, I have come across photos where I haven’t taken the time to make notes and then can’t for the life of me remember what it was about the photo that made me take it or tear it from a magazine.

I am always so inspired by your blog. Thanks so much! :)

15. anita schytte commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 8:59pm

You are incredible Holly – I know nobody like you with the capability of finding designers, photografers and stylists in every corner of the world – you have a fantastic x-ray eye ! Thank you for sharing Holly – Birgitta Wolfgang Dreyer and her sister Julia Mincarelli (Sisters Agency) are doing a marvelous job… thumbs up from a true fan.

16. kalanicut commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 9:00pm

Dream bookcase is right. That is gorgeous and so useful in shape & size! In love. I could sit here and imagine what I would put in all those little cubbies for hours.

17. Rebecca @ beautiful square feet commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 9:24pm

Absolutely love the pictures above, and a great tip about making notes on magazine cuttings – sometimes I look back and I’m not sure why I chose to save a particular picture. Mind you if that happens, I normally throw it away.

18. Möbler commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 10:00pm

Really cozy. Love it!

19. Meredith commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 10:58pm

I absolutely love a lot of white in a home!! I have been trying with my new place to incorporate more white pieces and decor. Thank you for the beautiful pictures! -M

20. Laura commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 11:04pm

I love how she groups her photos and pictures – really gorgeous. Also love everything about image number 2 – wish that was my bedroom! x x x x

21. Anna commented
    June 21st, 2011 at 2:50am

Thanks for sharing these lovely photos…they are a visual feast. And I couldn’t agree more about keeping mood boards or inspiration files. My Mom suggested I start doing this my freshman year of high school. It wasn’t until I went back and flipped through the pages a few months in, that I realized the girl who refused to ever wear a dress (that would be me) was actually in love with pink feminine style, including gasp….dresses…who knew? It was a real eye opener. XOXO

22. Zsa Zsa commented
    June 21st, 2011 at 3:47am

Love, love those white rooms! And yes, that bookcase is definitely a dream! Thanks for sharing these beautiful photos, Holly. :)

23. Charlotte commented
    June 21st, 2011 at 3:58am

Oh, love love love! I have always been a HUGE fan of white–like, I bought my first iPod for its aesthetic not its song capacity–and this is such a fantastic use of that clean, minimal look!

24. Kathy C commented
    June 21st, 2011 at 4:04am

You have an amazing eye to select these photos and to guide us with your remarks. I think our taste changes as we get older and it is important to note why we like a specific scene. I could just climb into these rooms with my cup of coffee and a good book.

25. debbie commented
    June 21st, 2011 at 10:40am

love your notes on the photos and adore your animal board on Pinterest!

26. {COZAMIA} commented
    June 21st, 2011 at 2:28pm

Her work is beautiful, I’m off to check out more of her work!

27. The Design Notebook commented
    June 21st, 2011 at 2:39pm

Great photos and I love the idea of putting notes on the photos!

28. johanna commented
    June 21st, 2011 at 4:03pm

Oooooh, the white is wonderful! Adore the giant black and white picture of the baby girl. Swoon.

29. Sarah Gibbs commented
    June 21st, 2011 at 4:36pm

Beautiful images

30. melissa deakin commented
    June 21st, 2011 at 5:35pm

hi holly!
    love. love. love. all of these images and your notes; that is a great tip and one i need to follow.
    i adore the work of Birgitta; i checked out the link to her books and am just wondering if there is a way to order them online.
    thanks for the continued inspiration!

31. Mae commented
    June 21st, 2011 at 6:20pm

I love this black and white theme, so gorgeous.

32. Superpragmatic commented
    June 21st, 2011 at 6:31pm

love all that white and the elephants on the bookshelf are fantastic!

33. able mabel commented
    June 21st, 2011 at 8:29pm

All that white, with pops of color, make the whole place look so fresh!!

34. Yelena commented
    June 21st, 2011 at 9:56pm

I like the simplicity and whiteness of this decor. Almost spiritual!

35. Laura Gaskill commented
    June 21st, 2011 at 11:14pm

I love your notes, so cute! I have always loved the photography for Tine K Home, so I am glad to know about Birgitta now, and her home is so lovely! And having a baby myself, I know it can be challenging to live with white…but not so difficult as you might think, hard surfaces are easy enough to clean – it is white upholstery that is the real pain, ha ha! :) xo Laura

36. S.K. commented
    June 22nd, 2011 at 4:52am

Love the clean lines, use of color as an exclamation mark to accent the wonderful design. Thoughtful notations. Jane Whitfield rocks.

37. Tillyblueskies commented
    June 22nd, 2011 at 1:36pm

Hi Holly.
    This is a beautiful post – love the calming feel of all the muted tones.
    I’ve been keeping inspiration scrapbooks for years and and although I tend to remember what appealed about the images I do wish I had kept a note of the source of my pulled pages.
    Nowadays Pinterest helps me to keep track of images I’ve found on the web, but how can I add notes to images I’ve lifted online? Are there any tools that you could recommend?
    Thanks for being a mine of information and a source of inspiration to us all, Tilly xx

38. HAUTEcollegegirl commented
    June 22nd, 2011 at 4:40pm

We loved these photos so much, we used some of them in our newest post (and linked it back to you!)- check it out!

39. handz commented
    June 23rd, 2011 at 6:34pm

I love her style, also blogged about her work some time ago. And of course I LOVE PUGS!

40. Minimal commented
    June 24th, 2011 at 11:37am

All is white, very clean and minimalist. Love it ;)

41. Solveig Grøvle commented
    June 27th, 2011 at 3:47pm

Hi!
    I’m “Lucy in the sky” happy!!!!!

I just can’t BELIVE that our picture has been taken for the work of our HERO Birgitta Wolfgang Dreijer.

I’m just over the top happy!

Solveig from Norske interiørblogger (Norwegian interiordesignblogs)

42. d r e w commented
    June 28th, 2011 at 6:44pm

in my dream world i live in an all white house with white wood floors. but i know i’d never keep it clean! oh well, one can always dream!