Julia Hoersch Photography

June 22, 2011

It’s interesting how a culture is influenced by what is being shown as a “trend” in its leading magazines. In many ways magazines and books (and now blogs) have a very strong influence on a culture more than all of us are even aware of. When I first started reading German decorating magazines in the late 90’s they were very different from what you’ll find on the newsstands today which of course, is a good thing because moving forward and embracing change is good for everyone. As a result, what you found back then in stores and in people’s homes was also reflective of what you’d find in magazines.

Julia Hoersch Photography

I think that people nowadays expect magazines to push the envelope a little and show them something they can’t find on a blog or in a shop display or catalog already. People want to be pushed a bit I believe. I like magazines that push their readers to feel more confident about their own design decisions as well versus giving in to what the “norm” is doing. I like it when they take products in stores and style them up to show them being used a bit differently, repurposed even, and how to look at things differently. When I see some of the photographers and stylists in this country, like photographer Julia Hoersch who lives in Hamburg, Germany and who does lots of work for magazines and books, I think of how inspired those living in other parts of the world would be by her work so I want to briefly share a few glimpses of it in this post because I love her work but also the stylists she works with. You can tell there is a good relationship between her and the stylists because creative work always comes out more beautiful in my opinion when the photographer and stylist see eye-to-eye.

Julia Hoersch Photography

Julia Hoersch Photography

Julia Hoersch Photography

Julia Hoersch Photography

Julia Hoersch Photography

Julia Hoersch Photography

Julia Hoersch is a lady whom I’d like to meet someday. She’s living only an hour away from me so perhaps it will be possible. I find her vision very fresh  and her eye is very well trained. I love how well she captures the arrangements of the stylists’ work with her camera and that she brings her own personal aesthetic into each shot because there is a lovely cohesiveness to her portfolio despite the many different types of settings and objects, and well clients, that she has shot and worked for. I also love her angles and compositions, she really moves around a lot and experiments and as a result, comes up with some really nice photographs.

Quite drool inducing, right?

(images: julia hoersch, stylists katja gaumann, maria grossman and dietlind wolf )

You Might Also Like

• Reply raspberry essence June 22, 2011 at 12:10 am

the first one is the sweetest one :) love it!

• Reply Nic Duncan June 22, 2011 at 12:51 am

Extremely drool-worthy! I love the earthiness of these shots – there’s a warmth, texture and homeliness to them that feels particularly north European. Thanks so much for sharing – the lemons against the blue wall make me smile and think of summer as we turn the corner towards longer days down here in the Southern Hemisphere!

• Reply kathryn June 22, 2011 at 1:29 am

Julia’s photography is very beautiful…it reminds me of still lifes we use to but together in college.

• Reply Leonor June 22, 2011 at 2:48 am

These are amazing. The food ones had me drooling.

Btw, I love the tree wallpaper, does anyone know where I can get it?

• Reply Lili Emilia June 22, 2011 at 7:43 am

Amazing photos in this post!

• Reply Lynn June 22, 2011 at 7:54 am

Absolutely gorgeous your blog normally drips with fabulousness but you have found a gem again…and so different and trendy yet obtainable and liveable…food for the material girl in me ha ha
    Lynn xx

• Reply Sonishka June 22, 2011 at 8:13 am

SO simple and so amazing. I love homey and cozy photos

• Reply Cristina June 22, 2011 at 8:54 am

I love her style!!

• Reply Marie Nichols June 22, 2011 at 9:58 am

Love Julia’s work. It’s so true what you say, magazines really need to push forwards. I think it’s been a bit a a funny time in magazine world, trying to work out where to position themselves in this digital age and some mags took the route of playing it safe for a while, but seem to be getting braver and more creative now which is great.

• Reply Nat @ Dear Little House June 22, 2011 at 10:54 am

Gorgeous images for sure! Some photographers just make spaces feel like ‘home’, even if they are just stages styled for a shoot!

• Reply Semyko June 22, 2011 at 11:10 am

Really good pictures from Julia Hoersch, I especially like the colours.
    Greetings from Hamburg

• Reply Heldra June 22, 2011 at 11:47 am

Oh, I just adore the work of Julia Hoersch – you can often see her work in the big german magazines like Brigitte, and when the recipes are styled by her stylist Dietlind Wolf, you just want to jump right in and enjoy the food. Yummy!
    I saw that the two of them are producing a book about teatime, and seeing the pictures above, this book will be a must-have!

• Reply Cinz June 22, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Very inspiring photos indeed!!! Cant believe food can look that beautiful! lol

• Reply Jennifer June 22, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Wow so much loveliness here! I love the blue and pink in the first pic, not a combination I though I was a fan of but those shades look gorgeous together.
    Love the shot with all the rabbits too, and the plastic bottles as vases!

• Reply Nikki June 22, 2011 at 2:43 pm

These photos are stunning! You’re totally right, there is something so special when a photographer and stylist can come together and create magic (case in point, this shoot). I love each and every one of these photos!

• Reply Amy - pride of place June 22, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I love that image of all the egg cups and small vases. The berry desserts are also making me peckish! I love this style of photography – very inspiring, thanks!

• Reply pixie June 22, 2011 at 4:10 pm

So pretty! I love all the beautiful photographs you blog about, I’m trying to better my skills by studying what works and the composition on wonderful photos like these. Thanks for the inspiration.

• Reply cottagefarm June 22, 2011 at 7:01 pm

just flipped through these photos an her entire portfolio a bunch of times – loving it all. so inspiring, thank you for sharing julias work.

• Reply Lauren June 22, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Absolutely gorgeous!

Lovely photos!

• Reply Hanna Tang June 23, 2011 at 4:59 am

I just want to ask Decor8, because I am currently learning basic photography. I just want to ask where do you draw your inspiration in taking your photos. Apparently, I seem to have pretty hard time really drawing inspiration, because I usually go to work and house only. All indoors, I can’t even find time to go out because of a busy schedule How do you manage to combine technique, inspiration and having fun with taking photos?

• Reply Zsa Zsa June 23, 2011 at 5:07 am

Totally drool inducing! Love her photographs! Makes me think about upgrading my camera. :)

• Reply Rose June 23, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I found this article to be extremely interesting and her work looks absolutely stunning. For a while now my appreciation of photography as an art has grown, so much so that I dared to expose myself to a course for beginners. While there my respect for photographers grew. Thanks to the photographers out there whose work inspires us daily.

• Reply Ege Denne June 23, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Absolutely! I don`t buy magacines so often now, because many of them have the same home, the same thing, the same clothes, food and whatever…

And I `m sorry to say I`m sick of reading 20-30 pages of pure wholepaged advertising.. I expect more quality from magacines… If they HAVE to advertise anything, make it be a part of a picture of someons real life. And in the true spirit of the magacine.

If I buy an Interior magacine, I expect some adverticing of products about interiors, yes, but one whole page with settings from Riviera maison??

And that`s why I also avoid wisit blogs with a lot of advertising too.

• Reply PriscilaPetersDecor June 23, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Simply yummy!

• Reply bbrunophotography June 23, 2011 at 11:08 pm

As a fine art photographer myself, I can appreciate the work that goes into creating each shot. Julia Hoersch’s images are an amazing spinoff from the norm! I like that she thinks differently, uniquely arranging elements that both complement and challenge a grouping. She inspires me to stretch outside the usual and try something new. Thanks so much for showcasing her. She’s wonderful!

• Reply citta design June 24, 2011 at 12:00 am

wow, these are truly beautiful images!

• Reply Jasmine June 24, 2011 at 3:47 pm

As I am just getting started with, I loved this post capturing Julia’s gorgeous and carefree style. Inspiring! I would love to get to work with a stylist.

• Reply hena tayeb June 25, 2011 at 7:30 pm

the photographs of the collections looks lovely.. and the food looks great.

• Reply kristen June 26, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Really really beautiful, great work as usual

• Reply evaone June 28, 2011 at 11:05 am

I love berries and the picture here captured my attention..