Creative Flats

Goodness! I have so much to write about this week that I almost wish I had a team of writers that I could just assign all of these stories to because it’s hard to cover all of the stuff that I’ve been finding lately. I’m so inspired by a lot at the moment, my cup is flowing over. I think it has to do with summer and all of the people I’ve been meeting on my recent trips  – and even here in my own city there is so much to explore and do that keeps me energized to write. I’m going to keep you busy for the next few months with all of my finds so I hope that you enjoy what I have to share in the weeks to come. Are you ready to drool over this amazing business idea and these great flats? Because the company I’d like to share is called Creative Flats and the concept is brilliant.

Creative Flats

Though these flats are only based out of Montreal (too bad I don’t visit there each year as I once did when I lived stateside), the idea of having creative, beautiful resting spaces on vacation, a home away from home, isn’t a new idea but also isn’t so common even despite all of the traveling that creative people do to promote their work or to simply gain inspiration.

Creative Flats

Creative Flats

Creative Flats

Creative Flats

Creative Flats

Creative Flats

Creative Flats

The idea behind Creative Flats, which launched 11 years ago, is to serve style conscious clientele who want to stay in high-end beautiful apartments vs. cracker box ho-hum hotel rooms for the same price. Creative Flats is owned by decorator Nathalie Bouchard and stylist Annie Horth and together they bring that Nathalie/Annie charm to each apartment for a stylish, authentic and even home-y feel. I love how they mix objects from different periods and how detail-oriented they are. They’re a little Domino meets Vicente Wolf which is the best of the best really. Clean, modern, fresh.

I just stayed at a hotel and though it was nice, there was no attention to detail, security or comfort. I think the idea of Creative Flats is a great one – you have your own apartment, you can enjoy space to spread things out, everything is taken care of for you so you are completely comfortable. The more I travel, the more I crave comfort and convenience. I want extras, in fact, I expect them if I’m paying a good amount for the room. I want to enjoy beautiful surroundings but even more, I want to feel secure and taken care of and though it seems odd to say this, I want to feel like I am a special guest – I like that.

What do you look for in hotels and apartment stays away from home? Have you ever stayed in an apartment vs. a hotel? I have a few times, and some were hits and others definite misses or shall I say, “Run Screaming!” misses because they were that horrible. I wonder what your travel experiences have been most recently at hotels and apartments? Care to share?

(images: creative flats)

Posted by decor8 in travel on June 29, 2011

1. Luciane at HomeBunch.com commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 3:19pm

So fresh! Don’t you wish you could stay in this place for a while? It’s so different from my own home that I wish I could stay there and feel this place. I think it would do some good for me.

xo

Luciane.

2. Karena commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 3:48pm

Holly this is such a great idea!

Even at high end hotels, I have noticed that there are little extras missing that would cost so little considering how much one pays!!

I would much rather have a flat like this to stay at on a trip!

xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

3. Leanda commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 3:58pm

Well, you’ve cheered me up a bit Holly with this lovely post! The day is rather depressing here in Greece and while my poor husband maintains a job he is currently applying for jobs all over the world! He just applied for something in Montreal (which I hear is rather beautiful) and it’s nice to know that there are places like this to stay albeit for a short time :)

4. Hybel commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 4:06pm

I so do agree, LOVE this flat.
    Why does N.Y always have the best style, and flats?
    I don’t actully always like the scandinavian style – its too cold to me.

I do miss some decro-inspiration for small places. As I live in a quite small flat.

5. Alyssa Steffes commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 4:11pm

I’ve never heard of people staying in apartments instead of hotels but that’s such a great idea. Apartments are so much cozier than hotels and those that rent them out could very quickly have the month paid. Recently I stayed in a hotel in Dillon, Colorado, for a skiing trip with a few friends. We should have booked a condo/cabin for that night (which was the same price!) but we were too late and didn’t think ahead. The hotel room was so small and not the most ideal spot. We were all getting up early the next morning for skiing, so I looked forward to the breakfast, however it was disappointing as well. For the price we were paying, it should have offered a little bit more I think. We were technically in the mountains, so that’s what the price was all about, but it just didn’t make sense to me. Would have stayed in this apartment though :)

Alyssa

6. Ege Denne commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 4:45pm

Oh, if it had been possible for me some years ago to stay a week or two a place like that, then I certainly would goone there.

Places like that is what women tired of their life should have the possibility to stay for a while.. But I guess it is expensive?

7. Pammy commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 4:47pm

I love this! Not just the concept but also the decor, just beautiful. Now, how would I go about looking into staying at an apartment, as opposed to a hotel? And how could it be comparable in price? I love this idea.

8. Shay commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 4:58pm

I think if I stayed temporarily in this flat, they couldn’t get me to leave it when the time came. This whole Creative Flats thing could be very dangerous.

9. blackberry white commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 5:32pm

I could move in there tomorrow – wished I had a place like that

10. Teresa (Our Corner House) commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 5:41pm

No, I don’t want to stay in these flats…I want to LIVE in these flats. They are edgy yet sophisticated and beautiful.

Thanks for sharing,

Teresa

11. desi commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 6:05pm

inspiring :D

12. Christine commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 7:08pm

I looove the idea of a home away from home when I travel… will definitely be bookmarking these for when I make it to Montreal! Beautiful.

13. Katie Truelove commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 8:05pm

Sounds wonderful- I’d much rather stay in a neighborhood rather than near a bunch of other hotels too…now I just need to book my next trip!;)

14. Michelle M commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 9:07pm

I’m now at the point where I look at apartments to rent before I even begin to look at hotels. In February, I visited Toronto. I rented a condo in downtown Toronto for about $99, which included 700 sq feet of living space, a kitchen, a washer and dryer and an awesome view of Toronto at night. I was considering staying at a really hip hotel but it was $200 for 250 sq feet. My friends and I also rented a beach house in Florida, and we had our own rooms and bathrooms. I like the idea of living amongst the people and going grocery shopping in cities I’ve never been. For my Toronto trip, I used http://www.airbnb.com.

I look for places with a modern vibe, not too clutter with other people’s stuff. Big windows that get a lot of light and a nice view are a plus. Since I travel alone sometimes I definitely try to read about the neighborhood as much as possible.

15. leonor commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 10:03pm

Whenever I can I stay in appartments/houses. I so much prefer this to hotels. Love the homely feel and especially those little extras like, being able to cook your own breakfast at whatever time you get up or having a stereo around to listen to your favourite songs and, of course, the space. :)

16. L'atelier azimuté commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 10:20pm

Wow,i love the idea of going in such a place on vacation even if I don t want to know the price… these pictures ate really inspiring, I love almost everything in them!

17. Stacie commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 11:39pm

Hubs and I spent a year and a half touring the US renting out apartments/houses and mother-in-laws spots anywhere from 3 to 8 weeks at a time. We found them via Craigslist and had an amazing experience doing this…average price per month was $1000 and everything was included: linens, dishes, utilities, ect…just like a high end motel. Hotels are way more expensive, generally depressing and cookie cutter. This is the only way I want to travel now…we use VRBO.com and Craigslist to find our lodgings, and I want to try http://www.airbnb.com/….this sounds like a great way to find a place to stay that is affordable and unique!

18. Lily commented
    June 30th, 2011 at 12:24am

Chic, modern, fun, fresh.. this is FANTASTIC! Thank you for sharing :)

19. Katrina commented
    June 30th, 2011 at 12:27am

been seeing a lot of arc lamps over tables and such. Hmmm…not sure if I would do it but I like it in that right space.

20. Mrs Bok commented
    June 30th, 2011 at 1:24am

Hi Holly! We are on holiday and just stayed at the most amazing apartment in Paris:
    I loved the aparent so much more than a hotel, it gives a far better insight to the place you’re visiting, I got to know a few locals in our week there. Then we’ve stayed at gorgeous farmhouses around France after that and such accommodation will always be my pick over hotels any day!

21. Amy commented
    June 30th, 2011 at 2:13am

Holly these flats are amazing! I wish they listed prices and had an availability calendar instead of requiring an inquiry.

My family and friends ALWAYS travel via VRBO these days. We rent a beach house or condo every year in SC, have rented an apartment for a month in Scotsdale, rented a 6 bedroom “cabin” complete with hottub and AMAZING kitchen in the forest in PA…you get the point. I’ve come to love (especially with kids or dogs in tow) having a full kitchen to make breakfast or a simple meal. The places in Montreal make me want to plan the next trip….or at least dream about it :-)

22. Alexa commented
    June 30th, 2011 at 3:55am

I love all of these spaces. Really beautiful. I love finding spots like these while traveling…they are such special spots!
    xo
    Alexa

23. karen ho fatt commented
    June 30th, 2011 at 4:31am

Lovely spaces to rest and while away the hours and nicely detailed. Have not been into any apartments lately but as travel becomes more frequent, so are my hotel stays. The hotels I have been in have been pretty upscale looking these days, even if they are not. Hotel design has come a long way and I look forward to staying in them.

24. Elyse Barnett commented
    June 30th, 2011 at 5:16am

on the second to last column, looks like a candle on an old lamp stand. that can be done easily in any house and its super creative!

25. Zsa Zsa commented
    June 30th, 2011 at 5:48am

I totally dig the Creative Flats concept! These flats are fresh and inviting, who wouldn’t want to stay in them?

26. Lau de Casalil commented
    June 30th, 2011 at 7:36am

I love these windows… so exotic for me… and these spaces are gigantesques.. Merci j’adore!!

27. Brooke H commented
    June 30th, 2011 at 8:33am

Beautiful! what a great escape to just visit these flats, never mind the cities they’re in. Any idea how much the go for?

28. Nic Duncan commented
    June 30th, 2011 at 9:12am

What a fantastic idea – I’ve just about given up staying in hotels, you just don’t get the same experience as an apartment. I’m very lucky to be heading to Paris next week (travelling from Australia) and I took DAYS on the internet trying to find the right place to stay. Fingers crossed our studio apartment on Ile de la Cite, overlooking the Seine, lives up to expectation!
    Thanks for sharing this inspiring idea
    X

29. Kenneth Jones commented
    June 30th, 2011 at 10:48am

What a great idea. It certainly makes a change from hotels anyway. The apartments you chose to showcase are stunning.

30. Ada @ New York commented
    June 30th, 2011 at 9:36pm

I’m traveling soon to Spain and Italy from NY and we are staying for the 1st time in apartments. I am soo excited about it!!! Funny how u posted about apartments vs hotels. I am a little nervous about Italy since all I knwo is ‘ciao’. When selecting our apt some were so stunning with the ‘lived in’ feel that it was hard to choose which one to stay. I already warned my hubby not to move a THING when we get there so I can take photos + post in my blog :)

31. Samantha Hahn commented
    July 1st, 2011 at 7:02pm

aaaaaammmmazzzzing!

32. Angela commented
    July 2nd, 2011 at 5:43am

They’re gorgeous. Thanks so much for posting these spaces. I run a similar (though not nearly as upscale) business in Buenos Aires. We’re always looking for new design ideas for our places. Like you, I love the attention to detail. The little things that make the place a home so you feel like a local and not a tourist.

Oh, and speaking of AirBnB. It’s fantastic. As the one on the other side, I like that I can read about the person renting (reviews of places and people) and feel sure that they won’t destroy the spaces I’ve put so much love and effort into.

33. Margarita Lorenzo commented
    July 5th, 2011 at 11:49pm

I totally agree with this idea, I recently stayed in a gorgeous apartment back in Gran Canaria, the owner has the same idea of offering a restful and stylist place where to stay for holidays, maybe something I might do myself once I have gone to spend more time back home, i think it is a niche market yet but has got a lot of potential.

34. delo commented
    July 12th, 2011 at 9:23am

I live in japan, and I want to make the same style, but this is a little difficult.

35. Gwynne commented
    August 2nd, 2011 at 2:34am

These apartments are beautiful and serene. Do you happen to know where they found the clock in the first photo? I’m in love with it!