OUD NOW! Old + New Furniture

You’ll love this… I can almost promise! Okay so I can’t recall how I found this amazing furniture company in the Netherlands but here is something to really feast your eyes that will no doubt spark your creativity and imagination. The company is called OUD NOW! and is just so cool, I love these fun pieces and find them so unique and daring even. I also am inspired by how some European designers are constantly challenging us to push the envelope and move away from being safe and mass-market friendly. Sure, not all European designers are challenging themselves or their clients, but I seem to find way more who are not ashamed or scared to play around with new concepts than ever before.

oudnow!

oudnow!

oudnow!

Dutch designer Theo Herfkens created this mash-up of traditional meets modern furniture using vintage cabinets and new construction. All pieces are one-of-a-kind and numbered, making them special works of art that are also practical for the home. From what I gather from my travels it appears as though the more edge or shock value something has the more people want to know about it and in some cases, own it. I just love this spread in VTWonen magazine above showing a OUD NOW! cabinet in-situ, it’s gorgeous and spirited!

Do you like these cabinets? Would you own them? I’m not sure how or where you can buy them, but Tuttobene Designshop seems to be a good start…

(images: oud now and vtwonen)

Posted by decor8 in furniture on June 29, 2011

1. Wrenaissance Art commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 2:37pm

These cabinets are a little too ’90s Martin Margiela reconstructed vintage meets ’80s Architectonica Miami for my taste.
    The burnt sienna highboy in particular reminds me of Philip Johnson’s AT&T building.
    I do quite like the look of the patchwork bench made of old books–very colorful and humorous! :-)

2. christine {bijouandboheme} commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 3:15pm

Very interesting indeed- I love companies that bring something new to the table and this one definitely does that…so creative!!

3. Katie commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 3:45pm

Hehehe I love the comment by Wrenaissance Art, but I certainly don’t mind ’80s Architectonica Miami. These pieces give me a lot of ideas. Thanks for posting.

4. Nix commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 6:18pm

Wow! What an unusual way to add something different to a room. I do have to agree with Wrenaissance, but I think that there are other ways to execute this idea with a more natural or subtle look.

Really fun!!

5. Val commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 9:45pm

i loved them and i loved mor eyour comment regarding the designers.
    V

6. patience commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 10:08pm

i can honestly say i have never seen anything like this. it’s like a colour blocked painting or outfit…but for furniture…fascinating!

7. Siobhan commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 10:12pm

I’m not feeling these pieces … too “arty” for me?!