Books + Magazines

The Liberty Book of Home Sewing

July 18, 2011

I will forever have a place in my heart for Liberty, not only because I’ve loved their fabrics for years and years, but because they threw me a splendid book launch party in their gorgeous store back in April which is one big way to launch your first book! But this post isn’t about that, it’s about another book – their upcoming title, The Liberty Book of Home Sewing, and I can’t wait to sink my teeth into it!

The Liberty Book of Home Sewing

Written and produced by the fabulous Lucinda Ganderton (I own several of her books) and published by Quadrille Publishing — this title has me quite excited!

The Liberty Book of Home Sewing

The Liberty Book of Home Sewing

The Liberty Book of Home Sewing

The Liberty Book of Home Sewing

(UK jacket shown above.)

Sure, Liberty-inspired books have been done before, my most recent favorite being by French author Alice Marceau called En toute Liberty (also available in German under the title Ganz In Liberty – you can see my copy here), but I love seeing a more quirky spin on Liberty prints and this book will feature plenty of them!

“The book is divided into three chapters – Essential, Organisation and Luxury – and contains projects ranging from practical fold-up shopping bags to elegant cushions, through handy display boards and book slipcovers to indulgent kimonos, beanbags and throws. Variations and alternatives are included for many of the projects so that the core collection is in fact an inexhaustible resource of ideas.”

The Liberty Book of Home Sewing

(US jacket shown above.)

And… if you love the idea of sewing + Liberty fabrics, then why not combine the two and take their Frilly Pinny class at Liberty in London on either September 18th or the 25th with sewing instructor Nicole Wilson who will show you how to create your very own apron (frilly pinny) using Liberty fabrics and the design from the upcoming book! Fun!

Just added this one to my wishlist!

(images: quadrille publishing)

You Might Also Like

32 Comments

• Reply Abigail Percy@abigail*ryan July 18, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I can’t wait either… should be incredible. Everything Liberty does is though, isn’t it?? ;)

The frilly pinny is fab – wish we could head to the classes to whizz one up! x

• Reply Heather July 18, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Looks like a good one! The store itself is so inspiring! Can’t wait to see this in person!

• Reply Andreia July 18, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Oh it seems fabulous! Added to my wish list! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Elena Ferrer July 18, 2011 at 5:33 pm

I love Liberty Style! Thanks for the reference!

• Reply Candi July 18, 2011 at 5:41 pm

I so LOVE Liberty fabrics…they always seem to make me smile! I can’t wait to get this book and hand and over the pages while sitting in my favorite chair.

• Reply Erica Cooper July 18, 2011 at 5:51 pm

This book looks fabulous…I adore the frilly pinny :) I can’t imagine any book with their name on it not being inspiring. Taking the class would be loads of fun too. ;)
    Thanks for the heads up!

• Reply Amanda@doievenlikethis July 18, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Fantastic news, thanks for sharing! The red roses print used for the apron is one of my all time fave Liberty fabrics. Must get this book + get that apron in production.

• Reply kate July 18, 2011 at 6:54 pm

wow! love the cover and i especially enjoy the grey/red combo in the 3rd image…may have to use that combo in my next painting :)

• Reply Emilie July 18, 2011 at 7:02 pm

oh my gosh that apron is gorgeous! It makes me want to sew right now!

Emilie

• Reply Erika ~TiptoeButterfly~ July 18, 2011 at 7:06 pm

LOVE all the pops of color!

Erika

• Reply sally July 18, 2011 at 7:18 pm

That looks good the pinny is really pretty :)

• Reply Paula Jo July 18, 2011 at 8:52 pm

I just love the quilt and apron. The book must be fantastic.

• Reply Mary July 18, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Beautiful apron!!! the cover page is inspiring!

• Reply Louisa Blackmore July 18, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Wow I love this photos, so inspiring -esp the quilt, gorgeous!!

• Reply erin * sparkle & hay July 19, 2011 at 12:06 am

I do not normally sew but if ever there were a book to inspire me this would be it!!

• Reply Kristin johnsen July 19, 2011 at 12:14 am

See? It’s just like I said in my blog – you make it sound sooooo easy to make home dec items, and even though I know better, I fall for it every time! I’ve been in a Kaffe fasset mood recently but so love the Liberty fabrics. I remember when I first got one in my hand – such a nice feel! I don’t see too many in my part of the US and so envy anyone who has been to Liberty in person…….some day, I’ll get to London. Meanwhile, Amy butler is helping me through a honey bun pouf…..and so far, it’s working. Now I want this new Liberty book, too! Thanks so much for all your cool finds and inspiration!

• Reply janis - pinecone camp July 19, 2011 at 2:24 am

Yet another book to add to my collection – can’t wait for this one! Btw, I’m thoroughly enjoying your book. So many fantastic vignettes, rooms and details.

• Reply Aneta July 19, 2011 at 3:05 am

Thank yo so much for sharing :) Wonderful prints and a great book to add to my wish list :)

• Reply Melissa Jaine July 19, 2011 at 4:12 am

Thank you Holly – the search for my sister’s birthday present is now over. :)
    mj.
    x

• Reply Ann Nord July 19, 2011 at 5:56 am

Holly…I’m a huge fan of Liberty’s fabrics/prints. These 2 books you’ve shared here are simply fab!!! My birthday is coming up and these are a must add to my wishlist!!!

• Reply Far and Away July 19, 2011 at 6:01 am

That little girls dress reminds me of my fav dress when I was that little. That apron and dress underneath are so pretty. shame i dont own a sawing machine these days.

• Reply ArticulateArt July 19, 2011 at 7:42 am

Absolutely love that blue satin chair! The pictures are so lovely!

• Reply Marta July 19, 2011 at 10:30 am

If I could wish for something right now I wish I knew how to sew!
    I just think I don’t have what it takes. I’ll just stick with the basics :)

• Reply Dirk July 19, 2011 at 3:34 pm

A fantastic bit of blogging, simply superb!

• Reply sarah jane July 19, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I just pre-ordered! I LOVE liberty..a big inspiration to my fabric desigsn….thanks so much for posting this!

xo
    sarah jane

• Reply Carrie Hampton July 19, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Placing my order now!! I love Liberty of London. I was @ Target the morning they debuted their collection & snapped up a bunch of their beautiful things. This book is right up my alley. Can’t wait — thanks for the post letting me know about it.
    – Carrie

• Reply Amy July 19, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Oh I loooooove Liberty! Thanks for alerting us to the book! I have it marked on my “to get” list.

• Reply Tori July 19, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Who wouldn’t want this book?!! I can’t wait! :)

• Reply able mabel July 20, 2011 at 6:30 am

Whoa! Looks like a book I need to get my hand on!!

• Reply lemelimelodeval July 22, 2011 at 10:27 am

whoa! I so love Liberty, so inspiring.

• Reply Cassandra July 22, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I’m going to saunter on over to the store as soon as it’s out. It would be a waste to Amazon buy it when you can have the whole experience!

• Reply hena tayeb July 22, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Now I kick myself for not listening to my mom and learning how to stitch when I had the time. Such lovely creations.