Books + Magazines, Travel

Markets of New England

August 18, 2011

Hello everyone! I’ve been so busy this week preparing for my upcoming 13 day US book tour for Decorate! I’m pinching myself that this is really about to happen, ME on a BOOK TOUR! Oh my, this is going to be the ride of a lifetime! Since Boston is my first stop, I thought I’d shout out a beautiful book by New Englander, Christine Chitnis, called “Markets of New England” published by The Little Bookroom.

Markets of New England

Constantly amazed by the talent in her native region, Christine decided to write a book about crafters, artists and farmers who inspire her there, including many in Boston. Here are some photos from the book that she thought you may enjoy.

Markets of New England

Seeing these pictures, which were taken by Christine herself, gets me even more excited to be back in Boston tomorrow where I spent nearly twenty years of my life. I’m dying for the smell of the salty air and some fresh grilled seafood and maybe even some clam chowder. I love the coast… I’ve not been to Boston for two years since relocating to northern Germany so I’m very excited to return and I wonder how it will feel to be back on American soil in a place that I once called home.

Markets of New England

This book also made me think about the South End Open Market – I definitely have to hit that this Sunday! Anyone else in Boston have plans to go or do you have a booth there?

Markets of New England

Markets of New England

Markets of New England

Markets of New England

Note: I usually don’t post about books until I’ve seen them myself, but with 38 positive reviews on Amazon, I trust that it’s a good one though I can’t personally say whether I like the book or not — I’ve only seen the photos shown above. I guess you can consider this post a headsup that the book is out there and to check it out the next time you’re in a book store. Hopefully I’ll get a copy of it in the future and then I can do a proper review of it. Until then, enjoy the sneak peek above and if you own a copy please let me know what you thought of it!

Lovely book, Christine!

(images: Christine Chitnis)

You Might Also Like

31 Comments

• Reply cafenoHut August 18, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Dear Holly; Finally I able to buy your book from Amazon. It took very long time to come to Turkey. I loved it and it found a nice place for itself in my home:)

I wish you a unique Book tour in America.

Have a nice day.

• Reply Surabhi August 18, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Welcome Home, Holly!

• Reply Beth August 18, 2011 at 3:48 pm

How funny! I just picked up this book Monday at my local library. Page 21 talks about the Portland (ME) farmers market, which is one that I enjoy. I’ve had fun buying veggies & taking photos there. It’s a neat little book!

• Reply yvonne@designvignettes August 18, 2011 at 4:19 pm

There is so much to enjoy in New England – especially in the summer months! I have heard good things about Christine’s book (along with rave reviews of “Decorate” : )

I look forward to meeting you at your book signing in Boston on Saturday. How exciting for you to be coming back to town in such a big way! You have quite a following around here!

• Reply Tara August 18, 2011 at 4:36 pm

ahh man…this makes me want to go back home and go to the Boston market! I’ll have to visit there next time I go visit my mom.

• Reply sarah*ahearn August 18, 2011 at 4:53 pm

hey holly!

yay! great to see you posting about christine’s book :)

it’s really a beautiful book! i have my own copy and have been using it all summer, poking around at new-to-me farmer’s markets and using it as a reference guide for future adventures around new england. i’ve given a few as gifts too. the perfect size to throw in your bag for a weekend outing. :)

i’m so looking forward to seeing you back “home” over the weekend :)

safe travels! xo *s

• Reply Monica Lee August 18, 2011 at 4:54 pm

EEK! Look at that big ole’ lobster staring me in the face! I can’t wait to see you and maybe spend the day in Boston looking at it with fresh eyes (instead of just trying to figure out where to park! haha!)

• Reply Kathleen August 18, 2011 at 5:17 pm

My sisters and I have a booth at SOWA, “t and cate” and “falling star farm,” stop by and check us out! Love your blog, these pictures make me want to stop prepping for Sunday and spend the rest of the day at the farmer’s market!

• Reply Kelly August 18, 2011 at 6:27 pm

I live in L.A. but am originally from Quincy, MA. I usually get back there once or twice a year. I bought the book in the hopes of being able to visit some of the markets on my trip there (we’re in MA now.) Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to get to any of them this trip but the book is superb. I would recommend it for the eye candy alone. The information on the markets is top notch and intriguing. A definite must in my book. I hope she does a series of these.

• Reply A Plum By Any Other Name August 18, 2011 at 6:52 pm

I was so sad to hear I was going to be missing your book intro at Anthro on Saturday due to a wedding! Enjoy the SOWA market, I’ve found a few fantastic antique finds there …

Also, your pics of New England are something else. Sure makes me glad I live in these parts … welcome back!

• Reply Rebecca August 18, 2011 at 7:17 pm

This looks like a beautiful book, love the simple rustic styling x ps good luck with the book tour! x

• Reply Kate @ Songs Kate Sang August 18, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Those photographs are lovely! thank you for sharing this! Markets are one of my favorite things!

• Reply Glenda Childers August 18, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Welcome back to the States, Holly. See you in Chicago.

Fondly,
    Glenda

• Reply Carol August 18, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Enjoy this ride of a lifetime that you’re going on. You earned it!

• Reply Christine C. August 19, 2011 at 12:46 am

Hi Holly…thank you so much for this lovely mention! I am absolutely tickled!

I would love to send you a copy to review…I know things are crazy busy for you right now, but when you get a chance, send me your address and I will pop a copy in the mail!

Enjoy Boston- New England is so beautiful this time of year! Good luck on your US book tour.

• Reply Maureen August 19, 2011 at 1:17 am

Oh I love a market, any market, but one of my faves when I’m in Beantown is the market by Faneiul Hall. I get stuff my last day in Boston, and go back on the train with bags full of stuff. I also missed my flight last time, getting one or two more pastries in the North End. Bad, bad, Maureen.

• Reply able mabel August 19, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Oh how I wish we had a market like that nearby!!

• Reply alison abbott August 19, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Hi Holly
    Looking so forward to meeting you tomorrow. I’m glad I got my Decorate a while ago, seems like its hard to get a copy. Both Christine and her Markets of New England are lovely and creative. You should definitely get to the SOWA market. Filled with all you enjoy-fresh, local produce, clever crafts and great food! Should you need any other suggestions, just give me a shout.
    Best
    Alison

• Reply Carol August 19, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Holly, I’m enjoying your book tour even though you haven’t landed in Boston yet. I live about 3 hours away from Chicago. Don’t know if I can make it, but I’ll sure try.

• Reply decor8 August 20, 2011 at 11:56 am

@Carol – I’ll also be at Anthropologie in Chicago on Tuesday evening the 23rd – stop by around 7!

• Reply Attiser August 19, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Love those markets!

• Reply Carolina Elizabeth August 20, 2011 at 5:16 am

I love the pottery. I want it. Who is the artist?

• Reply Christine C. August 20, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Carolina…are you referring to the white pottery with the cactus? That is made by Massachusetts based ceramicist, Zoe Wyner (http://www.etsy.com/shop/zwyner).

Thanks for all of your sweet comments on my book!

• Reply wendy b. August 20, 2011 at 11:21 pm

i just came home from showing my jewelry at the little sister show(in Providence RI) to the SOWA experience. some of my friends will be doubling up and at SOWA tomorrow. be sure to look for the lovely man who runs the show, Chris Masci, as well as Anne at Annemade designs and Pam+Jay at Black Sheep Design.
    surely, Stephanie Pernice will be inside the old Mill building holding court with her fab antiques mall. Boston misses you too!

• Reply Stephanie Pernice August 21, 2011 at 2:32 am

Welcome back to the United States! South End OPen Market is now SoWa Open Market + down the street from the location you remember.
    It’s also 3 diverse markets: A Farmer’s Market @ 500 Harrison Ave + a short walk away: The SoWa OPen Market outside @ 460C Harrison Ave (parking lot- Indie Designers/Artists) + The SoWa Vintage Market (INSIDE 460C).
    SoWa is awesome + we will be honored to have you visit us.

My partner, John Warren + run SoWa Vintage + welcome you back to the United States and to SoWa. Please introduce yourself to John + Stephanie: we’d love to share our world with you. SoWa’s become really cool!

• Reply Off Our Wall August 21, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I was at the SoWa Rose Kennedy Greenway in Boston yesterday! Congrats on the book…off to order it now!

• Reply Sofan August 22, 2011 at 5:23 am

Great finds! Absolutely love the colorful paintings.

• Reply Brooke August 22, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Beautiful looking books. I’ll have to take a better look on Amazon. I’m in love with the painting (pastel) of the boats in the last photo. Do you know who the artist is?

• Reply keishua August 23, 2011 at 4:00 am

I think this book is in my wishlist on amazon. glad to see that it’s as lovely as i imagined.

• Reply Christine C. August 24, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Hi Brooke- the pastel painting of the boats is the work of RI artist Kelly Milukas (www.kellymilukas.com). She helps to run the South Coast Artists Open Studio Tour (http://www.southcoastartists.org/openStudio.html), which is in the book!

• Reply Ryan Murphy September 2, 2011 at 2:03 pm

My sister went to new england and she said it was beautiful. she also wants me to say hello. BTW the colorful paintings are amazing.