Places

August 23, 2011

Hello everyone! As promised, I want to keep you in the loop as I’m on my book tour in the U.S. to let you know where I’ve been, where I’m going and how each city has received me – so far, so good! One city behind and 5 more to go! Tonight is my event in Chicago at Anthropologie and then I’m off to San Francisco first thing in the morning. It’s been a bit of a whirlwind but I am not jet lagged, feel great, and am enjoying each moment of it because the last thing I want to do is return home and have it all be a bit of a blur. So I guess you can say that as much as I possibly can at least, I’m savoring the moments.

photos above by the lovely Kim Lucien

Boston was a joy. I was careful to not invite all of my friends because I thought it was better to get together with them separately, but I did invite 10 or so of my closest and it was so nice to see them again after being away for two years. I also was able to see lots of my Blogging Your Way students – I really loved putting a face to their names. I was able to meet so many people who, up until now, I’d only “known” online and so I think it will help to strengthen these already good friendships now that we’ve seen one another and know we are the real deal.

Boston Highlights From The Decorate Book Tour

Me and Matthew Mead – weeeee!

When I arrived to Anthropologie on Saturday morning, I was greeted by an enthusiastic staff who were all so happy to see me. This instantly put me at ease. My good friend, Boston designer and Decorate contributor, Fernanda Bourlet, was there to greet me as well as she was my special guest for the event. She was going to speak for 5 minutes about mood boards but in the end we ran out of time but I want to thank her for being there with me – the support meant a lot. Fernanda is a very talented and special lady!

Boston Highlights From The Decorate Book Tour

After arriving, I was lead upstairs to the area where I’d be doing a mood board demo and they set everything up so beautifully I couldn’t believe my eyes. It was like going to a wedding with a buffet of baked goods, mimosas, bottled waters hand decorated with fabrics and a huge bookcase that they decorated with my book and fabrics, swatches, everything I had asked for and much, much more. There was even a huge mood board for me to work on and above it, tissue paper pom poms hanging from the ceiling.

Boston Highlights From The Decorate Book Tour

My signing table was on the 1st floor, they wanted me to be more centrally located for that part of my event which was a great idea. The table was gorgeous and completely set up with pens, flowers in an “H” mug, stacks of Decorate, a big poster and more of the tissue paper pom poms suspended overhead that were also upstairs. No detail was overlooked. Even the “rope” used to corral people into line was handmade with fabrics. It was all so impressive.

Photo by: Desha Peacock

Photo by: Amisha Thakkar

Boston Highlights From The Decorate Book Tour

Above: Flowers to sent to wish me well on my book event – so sweet – from Rag & Bone Bindery in Providence. VERY nice gesture.

Aside from having a book signing in Anthropologie (a dream come true), I was able to meet so many readers of decor8 and now, Decorate, and I made sure to spend a little time with each person because the last thing I wanted was for someone to stand in line and then be brushed off. I was very happy when people thought to give me their business cards because it helps me later on when I want to keep in touch. I also brought my signing book so while everyone was standing in line, they could sign my guest book while I was signing at the table. When I went home that day, I read each entry and it made me smile to know them all now in a much more personal way.

After my 30 minute presentation, I was going to take a 30 minute break but when I walked downstairs and saw a huge line I knew it was time to meet and greet everyone so I took my seat and started signing. I signed books non-stop from 11:30-1:15 and the event was supposed to end at 12:30! THANK YOU BOSTON! That was an amazing kick off event for me and I’ll never, ever forget it. I also have to thank Chronicle Books for getting me over here in the first place and sponsoring this tour along with the generosity of Anthropologie and their creative ideas – I am still blown away by how much thought they put into the event.

For everyone I met – I’m honored that you took the time to come out to meet me on a beautiful Saturday morning when you could have been at the beach! Thank you for taking time to see me and I’m so happy I was able to sign your book. I also want to thank everyone who wanted a photo with me – this may sound funny but it is also a real moment for me when someone asks that. :) Thank you for making this blogger feel like a superstar, it’s a nice feeling sometimes – we all need a little love and encouragement.

Boston Highlights From The Decorate Book Tour

Ladies who took me out to lunch after the Anthropologie event. I’ll post all of their names next week so you can meet them, too! Photo by: Monica Lee.

Embarking on this book tour alone was one of the scariest things I’d ever done. Flying to the states unsure of what would happen at the first event was a challenge for me on all levels but I’m glad I just went for it – my determination to meet as many of you in person as possible paid off and I’ll go home next week with the satisfaction of knowing so many more of you than before on a much more personal level.

THANK YOU BOSTON!!!!

(images linked to their sources below, if unlinked, I took them.)

28 Comments

• Reply Debbie Cotton August 23, 2011 at 5:05 pm

I’m so sad I have to miss you in SF!! I work right down the street from Anthro but have to catch a flight that evening!! Have a wonderful visit and I have your book pinned on my amazon wish list!! Can’t wait. xoxo Debbie @ Inspired Honey Bee

• Reply Lisbeth August 23, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Lookks like you had a fantastic time. Thanks for sharing. Good luck with the rest of the tour.

• Reply Lisbeth August 23, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Ooops, sorry about the typo in my previous comment! I just want to add that I find your book VERY inspiring, and will recommend it to my design students next week. Cheers, L in Sweden

• Reply Kelly, Modern June August 23, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Thanks so much for keeping us posted! It’s almost like being there!! Congrats!!

• Reply Kate {domestikatedlife} August 23, 2011 at 5:31 pm

So nice meeting you at the event, it was a great turn out!

• Reply Alison August 23, 2011 at 5:31 pm

That’s awesome! Thanks for sharing and really enjoyed reading about the event at Anthropologie as they always infuse everything with such creativity and thoughtfulness.

~Alison aka Grace Design~

• Reply Ana August 23, 2011 at 5:37 pm

I WISH I was there!!! You look like you had a great time!!!
    Congratulations on your achievements, Holly, you do deserve it and I’m so proud to say that I’m your student!
    Can we expect a post on moods boards and how to “put them together”?
    Best wishes!

• Reply Ellen Crimi-Trent August 23, 2011 at 6:19 pm

I had such a great time… I came home exhausted and went to bed early which as you know is very rare for me. It must have been all of you fabulous ladies I had the pleasure to chat with!! :))

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente August 23, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Oh, it just looks beautiful and SO special hun! I am so, SO happy for you! You look gorgeous ( and did anyone ever tell you, you have beautiful hands?) :) Gorgeous dress and it looks like so much fun! I can’t wait for NYC! :)
    xoxo
    Melis

• Reply LindsB August 23, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Hi Holly! Had so much fun with you at the book signing and then at lunch after, It was so nice to meet you in person finally!

Good luck on the rest of your book tour- I hope they are all as great as Boston :)

• Reply Laura Gaskill August 23, 2011 at 7:19 pm

It was wonderful and surreal to finally meet you in person, Holly! I had the best time and met so many inspiring, creative ladies, too…so glad to have been a part of it all :) xo Laura

• Reply bussbuss August 23, 2011 at 7:48 pm

That looks amazing! So, so happy for you.

Can’t wait to finally meet you in person at the LA event xx!

• Reply jennie August 23, 2011 at 7:56 pm

i love those colourful plates… looks like a wonderful event. ;-)

• Reply Stephanie August 23, 2011 at 8:56 pm

congratulations on the event! I recognized some of my favorite bloggers (wish I was in Boston). The pom poms are splendid! I had the same colors at a party I hosted in the spring.

• Reply Julieann/CreateGirl August 23, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Holly! I am so glad I was able to come home a day early from vacation to visit you at the book signing. I loved planning your lunch and was happy so many local creatives were able to attend!
    Enjoy your book signing tour
    julie

• Reply Cora August 24, 2011 at 12:31 am

Congratulations Holly! Well done – it’s official you are a star!
    So lovely and thoughtful of you to bring your guest book for others to sign. Wishing you every success for the rest of the tour – enjoy every single minute.

• Reply yvonne@designvignettes August 24, 2011 at 1:00 am

It was a pleasure to meet you in Boston, Holly, and I have been enjoying your book ever since — it is quite the style guide! And what a fun afternoon it was to be surrounded by so many others whom you have inspired and who share a passion for the creative process. Best of luck to you on the remainder of your book tour. I look forward to connecting with you again soon!

• Reply Kimberly August 24, 2011 at 1:27 am

Congratulations on a successful signing event! I wish I was in town for the stop in SF, would love to wish you well in person. Best wishes for a great tour!

• Reply Desha August 24, 2011 at 2:34 am

Wow! It’s so cool to see this post, I feel so lucky I was there! I think it’s pretty amazing that you took time to meet every single person, look them in the eye and smile. You’re very generous & authentic, and we love you for it~

• Reply Tami Cicale August 24, 2011 at 3:30 am

I so wish you were coming to the Washington DC area! I would love to attend- maybe next book, next time!
    Best of luck- Tami

• Reply evaone August 24, 2011 at 4:54 am

I those flowers, and the plates that are so colorful…perfect for a gatherings..

• Reply cecilia August 24, 2011 at 6:17 am

Holly, It was so nice to meet you and congratulate you in person! The book is amazing and such a huge accomplishment — and I really loved the story that you had shared with us while you were signing my book. Enjoy the rest of your tour!

• Reply fenny setiawan August 24, 2011 at 9:14 am

Everyone looks great in the picture. and I really love the setting too. And Holly, I love your outfit. Gorgeous :)

• Reply Amisha August 25, 2011 at 4:29 am

Oh Holly, it was fantastic getting to meet up with you! You are so thoughtful and generous – it was awfully sweet of you to meet up with us!

And I just fell over when I saw that you blogged one of my photos.

• Reply jo supara tarakci August 25, 2011 at 11:47 am

wish you can visit us in istanbul too:)

• Reply Lidyll August 25, 2011 at 7:23 pm

My oh my! How beautiful it all looks!*smile*
    Really pretty decor!

• Reply mandy August 26, 2011 at 6:04 am

This was such a treat for the eyes! How fun!

• Reply Penny Patten September 7, 2011 at 2:07 am

Looks like a lot of fun!