Unconditional Love + Have a Happy Weekend!

September 2, 2011

I’m back home and wanted to pop in to wish you a very happy and long Labor Day weekend — at least to those living in the US! I’ll be taking off Monday to catch up but I’ll be back on Tuesday for a new week of posts and inspiration for you to enjoy. But first, I want to tell you a little tale about true love.

Unconditional Love + Have a Happy Weekend!

I’ve been away from my husband for thirteen days and so naturally, a girl doesn’t know what exactly to expect upon arriving home. Will there be groceries? Are things in order? Do I have to immediately pick up the pace and return to my regularly scheduled program of cooking and cleaning and being a, well, wife? It may sound rather old-fashioned/corny of me to even think this way, but I was raised in a very traditional family and I don’t mind being a wife at all. I feel sad when I can’t be around to take care of him as funny as that may sound — it’s true. I enjoy caring for him, it gives me a sense of accomplishment and well-being. I feel better when I know I’m doing my part. I’ve never been away for so long, I think 4 days has been the absolute max, so this trip was a pretty big deal for both of us and so I guess I was curious as to how I’d be received upon my arrival.

Unconditional Love + Have a Happy Weekend!

My husband gave me a very sweet homecoming. First, he arrived at the airport in a vest and tie. Daper. That’s pretty sweet, right? He also had a little gift bag with goodies and a cute card inside with owls on it – he knows how much I love owls. I thought that was totally thoughtful. Once home, I walked in to be greeted by a flower arrangement in my office, another near my bed, another in the living room and still another on the dining table. I’ve photographed them and put them in this post. Aren’t they varied and pretty? He went out and had 4 made for me, not 1, not 2… and placed them into various vases from our cabinet. He put such thought into selecting the vases, I noticed that right away, and when I asked him if he had thought about it he said, “Oh of course, I took time to think of which one complemented the flowers most.”

The house = spotless. In fact, he even reorganized the kitchen closet and laundry closet, the storage room, the drawers in my office and the drawers in my nightstand. But that’s not all. After I unpacked, he did all of my laundry and made a fresh, healthy salad for dinner. He turned down the bed. I went to bed early but when I awoke, I noticed all of the laundry was neatly folded and placed into stacks at the edge.

Unconditional Love + Have a Happy Weekend!

When I awoke this morning, a cup of coffee greeted me on my bedside table and the morning mail delivered with a kiss. He prepared breakfast and another delicious salad for lunch, this time with tuna. He is happy that I lost 10 pounds while on my book tour, I worked out at my hotels and ate very light, and so he now calls me “skinny maus” which is really, really cute and supportive. A few moments ago, he brought me a cup of green tea as I typed here on my computer. Now that’s a man who is not only happy to have his wife home, but who is showing his appreciation for all of my hard work as he knows it was no small adventure to go away. It’s nice to have that level of love and support after being away from home for so long.

Unconditional Love + Have a Happy Weekend!

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about love, especially unconditional love which I like to call true love. Unconditional love is to love someone regardless of their actions or beliefs. Don’t you wish more would be willing to love this way? We’d have a better world, for certain. I’ve been loved in many ways from many different people, but my husband loves me unconditionally and I am so grateful and honored to have him in my life. I’ve had many say they love me but it’s usually condition-based — the minute I screw up, hurt them, make a mistake, have a different opinion, etc. I’m tossed aside only to be “loved” later once the person decides either to forgive me, realizes leaving was a sore mistake or when they know it’s too late so the unconditional love they attempt to show isn’t believable because I know that they wouldn’t have shown it if they had to truly act on their words.

Unconditional Love + Have a Happy Weekend!

I’ve learned something about love over the years — that even the slightest misstep shouldn’t lose you the favor of those who truly love you, only to be left in tears until the person decides to forgive. You are then reeled back in again to walk on eggshells until the next misstep on your part. It’s a very sad cycle. My girlfriend is going through a divorce now at thirty years old and I’m truly heartbroken for her. My other friend is in a terrible marriage but since he is a good father, she stays. It’s heart breaking to be on the outside looking in at all of this, I hate to see such suffering in what should be a place of refuge: the home. My home is a place of refuge and I’m so grateful for this. I don’t have to walk on eggshells here, I don’t have to explain my shortcomings ad nauseum or the reasoning behind my missteps, and I don’t have to feel guilty for pursuing my passions even when it sometimes means leaving home for awhile to pursue my goals.

Unconditional Love + Have a Happy Weekend!

You can’t be the only one in a relationship who loves unselfishly, both must partake in this conscious choice to love fully. Even my own parents love me as long as I’m performing well, otherwise they are dissatisfied and withdraw. I guess that’s why, now more than ever before, I’ve been thinking about unconditional love because so many around me don’t seem to have it. It is very hard to find, but when you do find it – hold on to it, cherish it and don’t let it go because it’s rare. It’s also quite beautiful, it’s pure, it’s fair and it’s the best and only love that you ever need in your life. It holds you together, heals you, restores you and gives you so much more than you thought you needed.

Unconditional Love + Have a Happy Weekend!

I hope that you have one person in your life who loves you for you. We all need it, that kind of support is pretty special. And so, with that, I welcome a long weekend of time spent with my husband in our city celebrating the completion of a very successful book tour and the joy that comes with being reunited once again. I wish you a happy weekend to with the person who gives you unconditional love from the heart.

Enjoy your weekend, I’ll see you on Tuesday dear friends!

xo, Holly

(images: holly becker for decor8)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Christina September 3, 2011 at 12:07 am

oh this brought tears to me eyes. i am so happy you two share such love. i am lucky to know this type of love.

i was just telling heather, i wish i had known sooner about your appearance in chicago. sigh. maybe another time.
    i so have to have your book!

• Reply carolina - patagonia gifts September 3, 2011 at 12:18 am

omg Holly! you are such a lucky, lucky girl! you know it’s not common to find such a loving and supportive man. take care of him! my husband is very loving, I know he really loves me, but he would never prepare me a breakfast, a cup of tea or even less a salad! have a beautiful weekend! xo

• Reply Ellen Crimi-Trent September 3, 2011 at 12:22 am

wow!! I need a hubby like that!! jeeze whenever I go away for about 6 days I come home to the typical mess, laundry etc. no flowers or special greeting- you sure picked a good one!!

• Reply jenny September 3, 2011 at 12:29 am

Thank you for sharing this… There is alway somebody who will love us (whereas) He really knows us with all our mistakes: Jesus!!!

• Reply Lisa September 3, 2011 at 12:29 am

Nice post. I like your sentiments and agree with them. My husband and I also say that love is not based only on feelings–it’s a commitment to be there through thick and thin, even when you don’t “feel” like it. True love lasts beyond disagreements and means you are always there for one another no matter what. It’s not always easy, but it’s good…and worth it…and a gift.

• Reply Fatou September 3, 2011 at 12:29 am

BEAUTIFUL post! We are constantly bombarded with bad messages about different types of relationships, and we so easily talk about the bad ones than celebrate the beautiful ones. I too have been blessed with a wonderful husband, and I have a few friends going through divorces right now and it breaks my heart seeing their sadness. I absolutely adored your post, it is beautiful and inspiring, I had to share it with a few friends :-). Have a great weekend!!!

• Reply Melissa Jaine September 3, 2011 at 12:32 am

Thank you Holly. xx

• Reply bussbuss September 3, 2011 at 12:37 am

I’m not sure if it was the afternoon glass of wine, but that made me cry. I’m so happy for you Holly and so so grateful to be in a similar situation and hope to never take it for granted. Cheers to unconditional love (and to all of your success)!

• Reply Michele Murphy September 3, 2011 at 12:42 am

Hi Holly,

I really enjoyed reading this post- and you are so right, it is great to have at least one person in our lives who loves us unconditionally… but not always easy to find!

Also, congrats on your U.S. book tour. Wishing you a very nice long w/e with your wonderful Huz :)

Montreal, Canada

• Reply Michelle September 3, 2011 at 12:56 am

Welcome home Holly and congratulations on your successful book tour. (oh, and on losing 10 pounds… that fantastic, you must feel wonderful!)
    The unconditional love thing… recently I had a birthday and my husband gave me a card from he and our children. On it he wrote ” we love everything about you”. Those words meant so much to me.

• Reply Jules September 3, 2011 at 12:57 am

I love everything about this post and couldn’t agree more with you. Funny, when someone asked me what I liked most about you when we met, I said it was how completely in love your are with your husband. It’s rare, it’s special, and it’s a pleasure to see.

Have a wonderful weekend.

• Reply Kelly September 3, 2011 at 1:01 am

What a sweet post + a sweet man. FOUR flower arrangements? You’ve won the lottery, Holly!

• Reply se7en September 3, 2011 at 1:50 am

Oh this is just lovely!!! After all that hard work and mad rushing around to come home to a haven!!! Lovely!!! Hope you have a wonderful weekend together!!!

• Reply Erica Cooper September 3, 2011 at 1:59 am

What a sweet post… so heartfelt. I am so happy for you, what a wonderful homecoming, but more importantly, a reminder of all that you have together. A good man and a wonderful marriage are a true blessing.
    I too share my life with a wonderful man and it’s something I try not to take for granted too often, as indeed it is special. Thanks for reminding me again.

• Reply Peggy Raymer September 3, 2011 at 1:59 am

Holly, I know exactly what you mean. I have a wonderful, supportive husband who allows me to dream and live out those dreams. I am now in the process of building a small creative sewing center that has been a dream of mine since I was 16. I am turning 45 this weekend and it is because of this love that I know we will succeed no matter what the store does or doesnt do. Enjoy your weekend.

• Reply lindsb September 3, 2011 at 2:11 am

I seriously have tears in my eyes, that is the sweetest most thoughtful homecoming I’ve ever heard. Your husband certainly is a daper, sweet gentleman- for sure a keeper!

• Reply Liana September 3, 2011 at 2:23 am

Thank you for this lovely post!

• Reply Genelle September 3, 2011 at 2:56 am

You have a great guy! So do I! Just celebrated our 13th anniversary and he sent me the most beautiful flowers! Guys can never go wrong with flowers!

• Reply kalanicut September 3, 2011 at 3:05 am

Ah, misty eyed. :) Thank you lovely Holly Girl. I got engaged to my dear sweet man of 3+ years, just a couple of nights before I met you last week. <3 You are blessed and you deserve every bit of it. Torsten is blessed too clearly.

• Reply knack September 3, 2011 at 3:12 am

such amazing words…….I know this love, and have for the last 20 years:) ….and you got to meet him!:)

what an awesome man you have, and you are right….hold on tight, and keep it going! :)

• Reply bonitarose September 3, 2011 at 3:13 am

oh Holly, such a beautiful post.. thks for taking the time to share with us… u are so right.. unconditional love like that is so so hard to find…. thank god I hv in with my husband too.. not too many others in my life love me like he does…
    I am blessed by all you share here. xo hugs

• Reply Kathi September 3, 2011 at 3:28 am

this is exactly what love and home is all about. thank you for this lovely post and for making me stop and think about how lucky I am

• Reply Kimberly Jones September 3, 2011 at 3:30 am

Congratulations on a successful book tour Holly! I’ve followed your posts all along the way, and if I lived close enough to one of the cities you visited, I would have been there in person. I purchased your book at the Anthropologi in Nashville, TN and I love it!
    Your homecoming sounds perfect, and you are so blessed to have such a loving and supportive partner. My husband is the one person who loves me unconditionally too, and this post reminded me how precious a gift that is. I was genuinely moved by your heartfelt words, and I am going to be more conscious of loving unconditionally myself! You are a very humble and inspiring person, and I just want to say thanks for making me think, and making me smile!

• Reply Jennifer September 3, 2011 at 3:53 am

Holly, thanks so much for sharing this story. I went through a HUGE breakup last year and I think I’m finally “in remission”. It’s so wonderful to be reminded by a real, live person that “love is not love which alters when it alteration finds.” I’ll do better next time around! :o)

• Reply joellen September 3, 2011 at 4:21 am

Truly, this is just what i needed to read. thanks for reminding me how lucky i am to be the giver and the receiver of true love.

“only 2 things that money can’t buy, that’s true love and homegrown tomatoes!” guy clark

congratulations on your beautiful book and the surrounding adventures, so happy for you.

• Reply Heather @ Post Road September 3, 2011 at 4:32 am

I’m glad you had a good trip Holly! What an awesome welcome home :) You know.. I’m sure he takes such good care of you because you do the same for him… unconditionally doing the small things for each other makes a big love grow.

Nice post!

• Reply Erin September 3, 2011 at 4:53 am

Your husband sounds lovely!

• Reply knit knit September 3, 2011 at 5:43 am

Thank you for sharing – I had tears in my eyes too! It made me think about my man, and how truly wonderful he is & how lucky I am to have him. He’s away on a trip, so reading thing makes me miss all the more, but your husband’s super welcome home gift to you inspires me to do something fun for him too. :)

• Reply Ilze September 3, 2011 at 7:12 am

Hi Holly. Nice that you took the time out to write this post to compliment your husband ! He deserved it well and I am sure he deserved knowing what a great guy he is and loving, caring husband. I am sure he is very proud of you and your book. Very cute how he matched the vases. Love the flowers!

• Reply Monica September 3, 2011 at 9:08 am

Truly sweet. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful weekend.

• Reply Nic Duncan September 3, 2011 at 9:27 am

Dear Holly,

Thank you so much for making time in your day to share this post with us all. You know, ‘blogland’ is such an amazing place, a place where voices from far away lands and lives speak to us and know us.

A very short time after I said out loud to myself “I’m ready to be on my own, I’m ok with it”, the most wonderful man came into my life. To be cherished, adored, encouraged and nurtured has been a joyful revelation to me – and I realise now this is the ONLY way love should be.

I am grateful every single day for the life I lead and the love I share with my amazing man.

• Reply Something Gorgeous September 3, 2011 at 11:09 am

Oh Holly, that was so beautiful, you really speak from the heart and you touched mine.
    I am also lucky to have the unconditional love of my husband of 22 years. We have certainly been through a lot together as a couple and parents. Life is not always easy, but having someone who loves me no matter what happens is indeed a gift.
    In Australia tomorrow it’s Father’s Day and I would like to wish my beautiful husband and all the dad’s a day surrounded by love. x

• Reply vicki September 3, 2011 at 11:28 am

Wow, so thoughtfully written, Holly. Your husband sounds like a keeper! I agree…unconditional love is so rare and precious when you find it. My Mom is my rock and her love has no rules or conditions. I feel blessed. :)

Big hugs from Seattle to a beautiful lady in Germany! xoxo

• Reply Anja September 3, 2011 at 11:48 am

Absolutely adorable.
    Does your husband has any unmarried brothers left ?

• Reply Sibel September 3, 2011 at 11:51 am

Thanks for sharing and congratulations on your very successful book tour. Still waiting for you here in Stuttgart.
    As you said it’s the doings that count not the three words I love you. They have to be filled. I’m grateful I have this great guy on my side who gives the words unconditional love a meaning.

• Reply Juliette September 3, 2011 at 12:14 pm

What a wonderful treat Holly! I had a similar experience when I came back from the US on Monday. A deep cleaned home, fresh sheets, a stocked kitchen, and 3 days of him insisting on cooking our main meals. It was wonderful -he’s wonderful! And yes, it’s such a deep joy to be loved unconditionally, isn’t it? What a gift to receive, what a gift to give.

• Reply diana strinati baur September 3, 2011 at 1:41 pm

In all the things that we have, the most valuable that we have is love. Those of us lucky enough to have partners that understand that weight gets carried in different ways at different times are among the blessed. For you to do what you are doing right now, a phase that is exciting and adrenaline filled and takes every bit of energy, having the balance of a partner who makes sure you have a soft place to land is just about the most important thing there is, I think. And there are days were it’s visa versa, where you’re fluffing the pillows and making the tea. It’s the key to a happy, balanced life, the give and take. I am lucky enough to have the same. We couldn’t do what we do without each other. And that fact alone makes everything we do feel more precious.

Welcome home, Holly, and I hope you have time to reflect and savor all the goodness you’ve created.

• Reply Donna September 3, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Thank you so much for sharing. You two are so fortunate to have one another. It’s nice to hear there are other couples as in love as my hubby and I are and who derive pleasure and satisfaction from being kind and thoughtful towards one another. Cherish your relationship and guard it with your heart.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente September 3, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Oh, Holly…..this is just too beautiful for words. And it makes me so incredibly happy for you hunnie! But, having met you, it is no wonder that your sweet hubby wants to pamper you & care for you. And show you how much you are loved. That is just incredible and wonderful and so precious. What this life is really all about, no? Just that day and a half of being home & all the love shown to you….that is enough. And I understand wanting to care for & take care of your hubby. I feel the same way about my little family….and it makes me happy. I hope you have a beautiful weekend, my friend. I bet you will….:)
    ps and T did an incredible job of picking out beautiful bouquets and putting them in the perfect vases….what a great match you two are! :) xo

• Reply All things nice... September 3, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Oh you really are spoiled! The only flowers I get are wild ones picked in the field from my boyfriend or a text message with a photo of a flower he took. I suppose I don’t mind as the nearest florist is over 25km away. Your husband sounds like an amazing husband, how sweet to treat you so much :) Hope you had a great time in the US

All things nice…

• Reply callie grayson September 3, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Welcome home Holly! and this post reminded me that there are wonderful men out there to love us the way we are unconditionally!! You are truly blessed. I hope to find a man like your husband, truly a wonderful man!

Congrats on the book tour! again, it was really nice to meet you in person in Chicago.
    and congrats on the 10 pounds, that is really hard to do when traveling.

• Reply DUEALBERI September 3, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Unconditional love is when you are grateful of what you have. And also when you accept and love your partner the way he is, without false expectations and requirements… Great post and … gorgeous flowers!

• Reply maria September 3, 2011 at 7:31 pm

i never leave comments, but this post really touch me. i to know what it is to be loved unconditionally and it has taught me to also love unconditionally. it is like no other feeling to know you have a safe and loving place to go to. your post made me tear up and it made me realize that i am so incredibly lucky and that i need to appreciate it even more.
    thank you for your beautiful words.

• Reply Marianne September 3, 2011 at 7:35 pm

What a lovely post! I think you can’t have the job you have without the unconditional love of your husband. The only other option is being single.
    I met my love late in life, I was 40. He gives me his love unconditionally, while other men never did. When I met him I was old and experienced enough to appreciate it to the fullest. That is the way life is, I guess. And I am very grateful for it.
    Have a nice Sunday and Monday!

• Reply samantha hahn September 3, 2011 at 9:06 pm

so sweet. I’m so happy you are home!

• Reply karen hofatt September 3, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Glad to see your husband really appreciates you. Little things and good thoughts, careful consideration goes along way! And as always, family first and true friends- I managed to share those moments this weekend !

• Reply Ada @ New York September 3, 2011 at 9:23 pm

What a beeeaaauutiful welcoming Holly! And kudos to your hubby for expressing his love. It is such an amazing feeling when we can look next to us and genuinely see and feel within our heart a person that loves us unconditionally. One of my blog posts shared the day my hubby surprised me for my birthday … it wasn’t about a HUGE party and lots of presents, but his ‘time to express his love’ to me. … getting up bright and early and writing a message on our kitchen wall (we have chalkboard paint on a wall). If u want to take a peek at my blog post with the pictures – here it is: http://www.adasinteriordesign.com/happy-weekend-color-board-b-day-message

• Reply Sasya September 3, 2011 at 9:31 pm

sooo romantic :))
    i love owls too, we have a mini collection with my husband. ;)
    flowers… oh i envy you!! :)

• Reply Kristen Anderson September 3, 2011 at 9:47 pm

One of the most beautiful posts I have ever read! So pure & honest & true, thank you for sharing such an intimate part of you!!! xoxo

• Reply thehiddenlist.com September 3, 2011 at 10:29 pm

First of all, congratulations on the accomplishment of your book tour. I know that must be exhausting and exhilarating at the same time!
    Let’s never underestimate the blessing of a good man. I’m so happy that you have such an incredible loving home to return to! Much deserved, I’m sure.

Here’s to hoping that some day I run into some distant relative of his that has the same appreciative and caring genes that he has!

• Reply kathy weller September 3, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Wow, your story brought me butterflies. I’m so glad you have that kind of love!! I’m so lucky to have that as well. Not everybody gets to experience it! And sometimes, people just are not able to, or are ever really ready to.

Wonderful post, thank you for sharing!! Welcome home!

• Reply Emily Quinton September 3, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Such a beautiful and heartwarming post. I adore it. And what a very well deserved homecoming for you.
    Having unconditional love in your life is most definitely the best thing in the world.
    As my four year old explained it to me: “mummy, you have all your love for us in your heart and you’ll never ever let it go.” That’s the beautiful unconditional love we have in our family and I feel so incredibly lucky.

Treasure your love x

• Reply Erin Moline (@_InThisWorld_) September 4, 2011 at 12:05 am

What a beautiful post. I completely agree. Being loved by my husband has taught me everything about real love. I try to do it as well as he does, and sometimes do okay. I love reading about others who have found ‘it’ as well. Great blog!!

• Reply bendedspoon September 4, 2011 at 12:39 am

the love makes the flower and the vases really special and more beautiful!And I guess the salad is yummier with a sprinkle of your hubby’s thoughtfulness! so sweet and lovely moments! :)

• Reply Elizabeth September 4, 2011 at 1:14 am

Thank you for sharing with us this sweet and personal moment. Glad to see you so happy!:):):)

• Reply Marcie September 4, 2011 at 2:30 am

I too am beyond blessed to have that love with my husband. ALMOST missed out when I was 6 mths away from “settling” when HE entered my life. same with my parents. TRULY have unconditional from my husband and my son (20yrs old now) It REALLY is a gift to be treasured as it is rare. So happy for ALL your successes ;)

• Reply Glenda Childers September 4, 2011 at 4:20 am

• Reply Elise Gerdes September 4, 2011 at 4:24 am

Such a great post, thanks so much for sharing! My husband is in the military and therefore he is the one often leaving for extended amounts of time. I like to hide little notes or cards in his suitcase for him to find on his trip. :) It’s really hard to be apart, but finding little ways to show your love makes the little moments count.

• Reply JEN RAMOS September 4, 2011 at 7:07 am

so glad to see another woman who has a great partner in her life. I’m so blessed that God has brought someone to my life who loves me for ME. :)
    Have a great wknd!!

• Reply christine September 4, 2011 at 9:06 am

so sweet, holly! my husband is right up there with your sweetie. it’s the best to feel like you can be 100% yourself & supported by another person, isn’t it? i feel bad when i get together with other girlfriends & hear their complaints about their relationships. always makes me appreciate my husband even more & remember how lucky i am & to never take it for granted. gratitude, gratitude, gratitude!

congratulations on all of your success with the book, blog, true love & all you do!

• Reply Sarah Gibbs September 4, 2011 at 10:13 am

Thast so sweet & the flowers are so pretty.

• Reply desiree - vosgesparis September 4, 2011 at 10:44 am

you truly are very much in love and he seems to be your best friend too ;)
    Not having to walk on eggshells and having the possibility to be your true self no matter what is the greatest gift you can have ;)

• Reply Iris September 4, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I read this post after I came home from a weekend I spent on the countryside with girlfriends. My husband and kids were out, but the house was tidy, the fridge was filled, the grass was cut and a beautiful decorating book (Recycled home by Mark and Sally Bailey) awaited me as a present (gosh, he knows me so well). It made me smile and warm inside. So I totally agree: unconditional love is the best thing that can happen to you.
    x Iris

• Reply Monica Lee September 4, 2011 at 3:31 pm

This is the nicest post, Holly. I think my husband (maybe like yours) came into my life to heal me. He has taught me so much about steadfast unconditional love. I am so glad you made it safely back to Germany-sounds like wherever your hubby is-is home! And there’s no place like home, right?

• Reply Cattie September 4, 2011 at 5:12 pm

What a beautiful and “hope-inducing” post. It brought tears to my eyes too – you are SO lucky! I’ve been through the marriage year from hell in 2011 (and so have several of my friends, what is it about this year?!?) and still don’t know how things will end, and it was wonderful to read about a happy marriage for a change. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful story.

• Reply Heidi September 4, 2011 at 5:28 pm

you are so right about unselfish love and sometimes you can have boatloads of unselfish giving love right in front of you and miss it for years because you have only been taught from birth of a selfish love not a selfless love and when you finally make that connection…life is easier and less complicated.
    oh and drama free…enjoy what a guy you have.

• Reply Monica Lee September 4, 2011 at 5:38 pm

PS 10 punds?! How did you manage to do that on travel eating? You go girl!

• Reply Punctuation Mark September 4, 2011 at 7:00 pm

this is such a nice post!!!! hope you’re having an amazing time this weekend!

• Reply Mari September 4, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Sometimes it’s not healthy to stay and accept someone for who they are-warts and all- if who they are is someone that hurts you. In this case your love may be unconditional and theirs is conditional. Is this fair? I dont think so. In this case, I have learned that unconditional love has to take place from afar. Self respect also means having unconditional love for yourself.

• Reply Anna September 4, 2011 at 11:21 pm

My goodness, what a lovely post. Thanks so much for sharing this with us all. Your hubby is a good man and you know what, I am sure you deserve all the fuss! And as others have said, it is so nice to hear someone complimenting their spouse instead of trashing them!

Anyways, I also wanted to tell you that I just ordered your book. Here is the thing, I am usually a skeptic when it comes to design/decorating books. I have purchased so many, from big name designers that I have slight obsessions with, only to be left feeling sadly under-whelmed. So when I read about your book, I thought to myself, so-what she has the best blog ever, it will probably just be another ho-hum book that collects dust on my shelf. Wow was I wrong, I was blown away, I keep going through it noticing new things, new bits of inspiration, new ideas. I love love love your book…it’s by leaps and bounds the best decorating book ever! You are such a talented lady! XO

• Reply Kelly September 5, 2011 at 1:21 am

What a wonderful, thoughtful homecoming! I think your guy missed ya!

Reading your thoughtful post, I realize that I too am blessed with unconditional love from my husband. He is so kind and good to me, and would even disagree that I’m the “difficult” one in the relationship. (Though trust me, its me!)

Going downstairs now to give him a kiss. Thanks for the reminder of how lucky & rare love can be.

• Reply fenny setiawan September 5, 2011 at 4:10 am

I was reading your blog update through my iPhone last week, but wanted to drop you a message here. Welcome home. it’s glad that you made the successful book tour at US. So happy to read your journey. And you have an amazing husband. God bless you :).

Lovely flowers and very thoughtful of him to welcome you home. Hugs…

• Reply the chronic utilitarian September 5, 2011 at 4:21 am

good for you!

ten pounds in thirteen days?
    dang, i need to write a book. :)

enjoy your hubby and home.

• Reply Trina : la la Lovely September 5, 2011 at 5:14 am

Holly, I love this post. So beautiful. You are truly blessed. There is nothing better than to be fully accepted and loved for who you are. I love all the little arrangements that your mister made for you. Enjoy your time at home!
    x Trina
    Ps- I so enjoyed meeting you in Chicago.

• Reply L. September 5, 2011 at 5:18 am

I, too, am blessed with a dear husband. They are a cool breeze. Their support can make you or break you. I am forever thankful…

• Reply patricia September 5, 2011 at 8:12 am

Awesome post Holly—and what a lovely husband you have! I wish there were more of this true love to spread around. I’m a lucky gal because I have it at home too. I don’t know what I’d do without my guy. :)

So glad that your time away was so productive and and that you’re home (nothing like it, right?)!

• Reply Nicola September 5, 2011 at 9:09 am

What a lovely, lovely post, Holly. Well done for the book tour and, just as importantly, for taking a moment to appreciate a beautiful moment (and sharing). Your husband is clearly very proud of you! x

• Reply jj September 5, 2011 at 10:09 am

I love that blue vase and how the color just POPS! It makes the blue flower really stand out and look so beautiful alongside the other colors! Great idea!

• Reply Nicola September 5, 2011 at 11:22 am

What a great post, agree what you say about unconditional love. And what a lovely, thoughtful husband. Reminds me to remember to keep doing thoughtful, kind things. After 10 years together sometimes it’s easy to take each other for granted.

• Reply Beverley September 5, 2011 at 12:25 pm

What a wonderful blog post and it fills me with hope. I am looking for this kind of relationship myself. My 18 year marriage fell apart recently and my husband left so I am facing a divorce now at 51 years of age. I thought we were going to be forever, but he had other plans. Our relationship though was not like the one you describe and I now know that I will not settle for anything less than that in the future. I am enjoying being by myself (well with my teenage daughter) but enjoying my own company, learning to love myself again enough that when the day comes I can allow myself to be loved again but unconditionally this time round. xx

• Reply uschi September 5, 2011 at 12:39 pm

i’m really glad for you ! cherish your husband and love – i know you do !
    all the best for you two !

i wish i had someone to love, who loves me, but there’s a just big NIL :-((

your post is beautiful, but it made so very unhappy and sad – sorry to say

• Reply Helen Ablewhite September 5, 2011 at 1:30 pm

This post truly made my heart swell :-)

It also made me think about how important it is to unconditionally love ourselves too. Not easy, but a journey well worth embarking on.

• Reply Valérie September 5, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Hello Holly

I’ m french and I live in Miami and this week end I bought your book in Anthropologies and I’m really excited because I love your blog. Your book is beautiful and very inspiring, thank you very much !!

• Reply Kristyne September 5, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Lucky you and even luckier him ;)

• Reply LoveFeast Table September 5, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Ah! We know this kind of love. We both often talk about how fortunate and blessed we are to have husbands just like yours. They celebrate our lives, love us when we screw up, don’t judge, don’t harbor grudges, bring us coffee, think about what makes us happy, make dinner…yeah, it’s a rare gift and one we hope to never take for granted.
    ~Chris Ann & Kristin

• Reply Tricia McKellar September 5, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Oh wow! What a darling man! What a sweet love story :)

• Reply Aliza September 5, 2011 at 6:52 pm

That is so beautiful! Your husband sounds really special!

• Reply Laura September 5, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Love this post Holly, your husband sounds so thoughtful and such a sweetheart. What a lovely welcome home xxx

• Reply Alexa September 5, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Such gorgeous shots. Love the yellows and oranges and reds together!

• Reply deneise bucko September 5, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Very sweet post. Just what I needed. Thanks!

• Reply Carol September 6, 2011 at 2:00 am

You are so blessed with a wonderful, loving and caring husband. Thank you so much for sharing this. Isn’t unconditional love REAL LOVE!

• Reply Meggles September 6, 2011 at 2:14 am

Wow, I can’t believe you used the term “true love”. I am extra grumpy these days (pregnant and the hormones can influence my emotions in unattractive ways). Tonight I was grumping about something to my husband, and he started telling me about all the house projects he was going to get done in the upcoming weekends. “So you’ll have all that mess cleared out like you wanted,” he smiled. The contrast between his actions and mine was such that I said, “Wow, you’re being awfully nice to me when I’ve been such a grumpus to you.” “Well, you’re my true love,” he answered. His love is unconditional and he is patient with my human mistakes. This makes me want to love him unconditionally too.

• Reply Meggles September 6, 2011 at 2:20 am

Oh, and Holly, I’ve been meaning to leave a comment about the fact that you once lived in Hollis, NH. I live only 25 minutes from there (south of the border, near Groton MA) and have gone strawberry picking in Hollis many times (Lull Farm, right next to Brookdale Farm–you know the ones?). Hollis is a truly lovely town, but then, New England is a beautiful place all over. Enjoy living in beautiful Germany, especially the gorgeous flowers in spring. We took a trip to the Rhine region a couple years ago in late April, and the flowers were lovely. As you know from long experience, spring usually stinks in New England. March and April….awful. :)

• Reply Stacy September 6, 2011 at 2:24 am

What a beautiful post! Your husband sounds like a keeper!

• Reply Sara September 6, 2011 at 4:09 am

You are an amazingly talented, creative, hard-working woman who is so kind and encouraging to all of us out here in the blogosphere…so wonderful to read about your fantastically successful book tour and beautiful welcome home and relationship with your husband, both of which you obviously deserve and treasure. Pretty amazing spouse you have there!

• Reply Krystal Lee September 6, 2011 at 4:23 am

such a beautiful post x
    im so glad your book tour went well also, well done :)

• Reply tanya September 6, 2011 at 5:11 am

thank you so much for this post and for sharing so well, what is so difficult to describe in words.

I’m travelling in India at the moment and have very limited internet connection – but I knew there was a reason why I chose to log in to Decor8 today! Thanks you and bless you in your happiness and being able to appreciate it.

Big hugs!

• Reply tiffany September 6, 2011 at 5:37 am

what a beautiful post, and something for a single girl to hope to find. i think i appreciate most your definition of unconditional love, and it makes one think about your own relationships with friends and family. so happy you had such a beautiful homecoming. it was a pleasure to have you in sf.

• Reply Sarah MacMillan September 6, 2011 at 7:15 am

Awww. That is so so sweet! You’re blessed to me married to such a kind, thoughtful man. Yes, unconditional love is THE best kind of love and the only kind that keep two people happily together for a very long time.

• Reply deb September 6, 2011 at 9:00 am

LOVE is the most precious gift anyone can GIVE or RECEIVE. Pure love. Im so glad you have great support. Im very blessed too and am so grateful for the choices I made by listening to my heart and the Lord, which in turn has given me a very wonderful man. Im glad you home with hubby and settling in to life after the tour and wish you many wonderful moments together. x

• Reply deb September 6, 2011 at 9:03 am

p.s. you looking great!

• Reply Rosalind September 6, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Amen to that! I am fortunate to know just what you mean. It is a blessing. My husband took the day off work today to care for our kids (and me) as I was up sick all night :-( I know many who can’t claim the same – to be loved unconditionally. It is a beautiful thing.

• Reply TH for Red Bridge Studio September 7, 2011 at 1:53 am

What a blessing. He’s a keeper!

• Reply claire September 7, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Your husband is the sweetest :)

• Reply Angela Willis September 9, 2011 at 9:56 pm

You are a very wise woman. And I think that you are absolutely correct about your idea about unconditional love, please continue to show your husband that you appreciate his efforts, and he in return will continue to show you that kind of love. That is the kind of continuing cylce you WANT to stay and grow in.

“It is very hard to find, but when you do find it – hold on to it, cherish it and don’t let it go because it’s rare. It’s also quite beautiful, it’s pure, it’s fair and it’s the best and only love that you ever need in your life. It holds you together, heals you, restores you and gives you so much more than you thought you needed.”

What do you do when you don’t hold on to it and you let it go? What then?

• Reply Chelsie September 14, 2011 at 4:31 am

I really enjoyed reading this. It was very heartfelt. It’s wonderful to know that love like this does exist. I wish you happiness and love always.

• Reply Michelle September 14, 2011 at 3:27 pm

What an absolutely beautiful post-in more ways than one! It seems like you have a very thoughtful husband who missed you. That’s a great feeling!

• Reply Bex May 21, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I’m happening across this post a long time after you wrote it, but I just wanted to say that this was very timely reading for me. It’s made me both sad and happy in equal measure and has made me more determined to SHOW my husband that he has my unconditional love.. something which i’ve not always been very good at, despite the fact that he has indeed always had just that. It’s no good if people don’t know it, right? x