Fresh Wallpaper Patterns For Your Home

When it comes to pattern in the home all I can say is, YES, PLEASE! Yesterday over at Real Simple I wrote about my favorite wallpaper prints from York Wallcoverings and I’d like to quickly share them along with two others from a company called Kreme Life… But first,  the two Kreme Life patterns that caught my eye – I love these. The pink pattern is called Giraffes and the other is Yellow Birds. These are not for the color shy or those in fear of bold statement making pattern! Bold papers work so nicely in small spaces as well as larger rooms – for instance inside of a glass cabinet or in a small guest bathroom. I imagine the pink and orange paper shown below featured behind a bed in a guest room – fun and bright – with a duvet and bed linens in stripes and tiny floral patterns with a retro feel. I can see it in little girl’s bedroom, to0. It’s very retro and charming, don’t you think?

Kreme Life

Kreme Life

Kreme Life

Kreme Life

Next, let’s look at these papers below from York Wallcoverings. You can find them all on their website.

York Wallcoverings

York Wallcoverings

These patterns are quite smart looking, don’t you think? I love the “mix + match” combination using two different patterns in blue and white – very chic! I appreciate all styles from retro to modern and find that if you tap into your creativity a bit and use your imagination, you can mix lots of different styles as long as your colors match and some pieces in the room are tame – for instance, wild and crazy wallpaper with furniture that has clean lines and then for fun, one funky chair or a crazy lamp — that is the way to go for me. Of course, we all have our own personality which should be directly translated into our room decor, so you may love tons of busy patterns in a single space (or none at all) and well, if you love it then knock yourself out because it’s your home – you can do whatever you want!

BUT for those of you who currently get stuck with mixing patterns and color then a good decorating “rule” to follow is to pick a focal point in the room – a good leading lady or man -  (wallpaper, art, your patterned sofa) and then mix in your “supporting actors” around the focal point being careful that everything complements the star of the show — though as you experiment and gain decorating confidence it’s a good idea to throw in a little healthy competition and to not play it too safe which is why I suggest adding in something that competes with the focal point – like a lamp that is out of scale in the opposite corner from the focal point or a chair off to the side in a wild, totally bonkers pattern. Healthy tension is good but if every single thing in a room is fighting for attention it all can be very overwhelming and draining to the person living there and to your guests.

With everything though – edit, edit, edit! I preach the power of editing because often it’s the few pieces that you remove from a styled bookcase that ends up making the display look finished and gorgeous.

One last bit before I go, remember what Coco Chanel once said, “The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.” I believe this applies to decorating – it takes courage to bring your ideas to life through your interiors but go for it and enjoy the process and the results. Think for yourself, aloud, in your interior style.

Do you have wallpaper? How do you use it at home – on walls, ceilings, in cabinets, in drawers?

(images: york + kreme life)

Posted by decor8 in walls on October 06, 2011

1. Mikkili.com commented
    October 6th, 2011 at 12:17pm

Wow I love the pink orange one. I think I know a room in my house where it will fit.

2. tinajo commented
    October 6th, 2011 at 1:07pm

Wow and wow – these are some great examples of wallpaper art..! :-D

I´m most attracted to the graphic ones, though the turqouise with houses on is just amazing! :-)
    tinajo´s last blog post ..So today´s the day

3. Neena commented
    October 6th, 2011 at 1:56pm

I do like wallpaper – but I tend towards “patterns” that look like textures.

These all over patterns are very eye catching – and I do like the mix and match, but I don’t think I would be daring enough to try it in my home.

4. Constance commented
    October 6th, 2011 at 2:10pm

Oh, I think I am drooling!

5. A+S / Tilton Fenwick commented
    October 6th, 2011 at 2:25pm

We were crazy for the first paper – retro girlie for a girl’s playroom! Saw just yesterday at StudioFourNYC..

6. Lauren @ Polka Dots & Sprinkles commented
    October 6th, 2011 at 5:19pm

Oh, I love them all! So pretty :)

I especially love the first one (one of my favorite color combos), the Glam + Girly one, and the tile patterned one of the Mix + Match!
    Lauren @ Polka Dots & Sprinkles´s last blog post ..It’s Fall Y’all

7. laura evans commented
    October 7th, 2011 at 1:00am

i love the yellow … so bright fun without being too nursery, & the mix & match is gorgeous also.

since we are in a rented house for the rest of our time in germany i am limited to my use of wallpaper but i love it inside cupboards, drawers & on shelves. If we get stationed stateside next we may buy a house & then i get to go nuts!

8. Nat @ Dear Little House commented
    October 7th, 2011 at 4:39am

I can’t wait to play with wallpaper! Although I think I will be much more bold in my choices than my fiancé…
    Nat @ Dear Little House´s last blog post ..An ‘egg-cellent’ up-cycle.

9. Helena commented
    October 7th, 2011 at 2:08pm

Wonderful wallpapers, thanks for the inspiration!
    Helena´s last blog post ..Etsy träd – Etsy trees

10. SteelPetalPress commented
    October 9th, 2011 at 6:08pm

I LOVE all these prints and I’m usually the type of person who loves big, bright, bold colors, right now I’m too afraid to commit! But i’m slowly talking myself into it. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

11. jane turnbull commented
    July 2nd, 2013 at 9:22pm

Hi
    I am from the uk and it’s nice to see some different patterns in wallpaper. i/ am a black and white kinfd of person so love the B & w pattern – is it availavble in the uk or where can I order it from for my kitchen? any ideas really would be helpful I am looking for something dramatic for an all white kitchen. Jane