Decorating Tips

October 21, 2011

Have you heard of Finnish photographer, stylist and product designer Riikka Kantinkoski? I love her home in Finland and the beautiful photos that she takes for magazines, but also the snaps of her own house that she shares on her beautiful blog called Weekday Carnival.

Inspired By Riikka Kantinkoski

I found her work through Susanna Vento’s site and I’ve been in awe of Riikka ever since – especially of the things that she sells in her Big Cartel shop. Wow, I love it all, but especially her jewelry and these wooden knobs. Her soft color palette with shots of black definitely resonates with me as I love soft colors, too. Check out these images from her home. I especially love how she incorporated a West Elm comforter into her Finnish home – gorgeous!

Inspired By Riikka Kantinkoski

Another version of her kitchen before she decorated it in shots of pink and black – this one is from a few months ago and will appear in a Paumes book about Finnish homes very soon.

I’m so inspired by the way that Riika decorates but also of the wares in her very special online shop. What a creative and clever lady!

What do you like about these spaces above?

(images: riikka kantinkowski)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Iro [Ivy style33] October 21, 2011 at 3:45 pm

… just recently came across her blog, pictures & work, too.
    … in love with it since the first look, much as you are!

• Reply Ann October 21, 2011 at 3:54 pm

What a beautiful home. I love jewelry and am excited to see how the aesthetic she displays in her home is reflected in her jewelry-going to take a look now.

• Reply Annaleena October 21, 2011 at 4:41 pm

So awesome, I love it too!

• Reply Lucia October 21, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Thanks for sharing Holly! Beautiful shop!!! Love all that geometric style and subtle delicacy of the products. I now have two things from them hopefully arriving home soon …. :)

• Reply something gorgeous October 21, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Gorgeous photos. I took a sneak peak in her shop, wow some unique things. Love the knobs. x

• Reply Kate October 22, 2011 at 1:00 am

I adore this home, so clean and calm yet full of colour and life. Beautiful palette, it makes the white so soft. I’ve been putting off finishing the bits in my place that I never quite completed after moving in for a LONG time and pictures like this are brilliant motivation. Thank you for posting them!

• Reply Val October 22, 2011 at 1:36 am

(I am loving the BYW)
    I could not resist comenting what a beautiful desk and the paper basquet. The simple yet cool kids room and of course I love the table cover as it remembers me to our mexicans plastic table covers wich i find so fun and amazing.
    Buen weekend. Looking forward for monday.

• Reply Steph October 22, 2011 at 8:43 am

I love it all! So simple but so beautiful. I want to know where she got that bunk bed.

• Reply Kat October 22, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Wow what style Riikka has, must visit her blog after this. I like how the rooms are all different yet have a common theme, it must make the house flow as you walk around it.
    The striped bed linen looks amazing too!
    Kat x

• Reply Laura Gaskill October 22, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Ooh! Her bedroom + that small work area for kids is really calling to me…so inspiring! Plus, I think those knobs you mentioned in Riikka’s Big Cartel shop might be perfect for my entryway – it’s one of those stubborn areas in my home that has fallen off my decorating to-do list for far too long :) Happy weekend Holly! xo Laura

• Reply Veridiana October 22, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Immer, wenn ich bei dir lese bekomme ich Lust unzuräumen!
    Dein Einrichtungsbuch stand auf meiner Geburtstagslist für morgen, mal sehen, ob es geklappt hat!

Schönes Wochenende,

• Reply Riikka October 22, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Thank you so much:))) What a pretty words! But I have to say I´m only a photographer even I would love to do some styling and product designing too. The shop is my hobby, and cladly I can keep having a hobby because some people seems to like my things:) Thank you again!!!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente October 22, 2011 at 10:21 pm

You know….I ordered one of her banners awhile back and love it so much. Shots of pink and charcoal and gold…it hangs in my bedroom. Her home is beautiful and I am completely inspired by her work space and I LOVE that little moon print and the phrase “sometimes shit turns into diamonds”. Awesome! Thanks so much for sharing this hun!

• Reply Jay October 23, 2011 at 12:58 am

It is beautiful. Danish designers seem to love white walls – I’d love to see some examples with colour.

• Reply gina October 23, 2011 at 7:26 am

I love the colorful runner/rug in the kitchen

• Reply Susan Hazel October 23, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Oh how I love this aesthetic: clean, minimal, lots of white. It’s so elegant. I love!

• Reply julie October 24, 2011 at 1:33 am

Beautiful. Love pops of black amongst the lighter colours, the contrast is wonderful. Love the posters too!

• Reply Hannah @ Sparrow + Spark! October 24, 2011 at 9:13 am

I really love the use of black and white throughout. The bedroom is gorgeous- I love the bedspread!

• Reply elisa October 24, 2011 at 9:46 am

oh, that rag rug in the kitchen is so beautiful. my mother is finnish and it is fascinating to see how other finns decorate! the rag rugs are such a great tradition that translates so beautifully into a modern space. and the turned pegs on the wall make my heart race! i’m hoping to learn to turn wood very soon, i’d love to make some good pegs! xx

• Reply Casa e Cose October 24, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Love it…but now I have to spend some money and i didnt want to do that!!!

• Reply Heidi King October 26, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Hey Holly,
    A quick courtesy to let you know I’ve linked to your site. I am loved your BYW class and all the great inspiration – keep up the great work!

• Reply Greta October 26, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I sure have! Riikka is a great photographer. Her blogs, Weekday Carnival and are both very readable.

Tottakai olen! Riikka on huisin hyvä valokuvaaja. Hänen molemmat bloginsa ovat mitä parasta viihdettä! Terveisiä ja kiitoksia vaan, mikäli luet tätä! ;)

That was same in Finnish! Thanks for the blog, I’ve been here many many times!

Greta also from Finland

• Reply tiina - sparkling ink November 2, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Riikka so very talented! What a gorgeous example of a clever and stylish Finnish home!