Color Me Pretty: Orchard Inspiration

Hello friends, it is Leslie here with Color Me Pretty for October. I recently visited a beautiful apple orchard on Vancouver Island because it is that time of year here. The days are crisp, the leaves have changed color and the nights are getting very cold. Having lived the last fourteen years in Los Angeles, I have forgotten how cold nights can get back up here in Canada!

Color Me Pretty: Orchard Inspiration

While I was wandering (and shivering!) around picking and photographing all the fruit, I got really inspired to bake. There is something about apples and cinnamon that just gives me a cozy home feeling. Especially when you come into the house smelling them cooking after freezing yourself outside. How about you? There is usually some combination baking in the oven that makes you feel like home, right?

Color Me Pretty: Orchard Inspiration

Keeping with this simple pairing I thought it would be fun to use my apples in the kitchen as inspiration for this months column. A classic favorite of red and pale cinnamon brown from my home to yours.

Color Me Pretty: Orchard Inspiration

Color Me Pretty: Orchard Inspiration

One of the apple recipes I used was this rustic looking apple crostata, it got gobbled up by my family pretty quickly which is a good sign of a recipe success.

Color Me Pretty: Orchard Inspiration

I also made some cranberry and apple conserve which, looks really pretty for gifts in some glass jars and tastes great with poultry or as a condiment for a cheese platter.

Color Me Pretty: Orchard Inspiration

Since the days are getting shorter, I have been lighting candles later in the day. Old jam and mason jars look pretty filled with a little water and a tea light. The water helps keep the glass from cracking from the heat of the candle. You can line these inexpensive candle holders along a window or group them on your kitchen table. These recycled jars are always pretty.

Color Me Pretty: Orchard Inspiration

You can even use twine, ribbon and/or washi tapes from Japan to dress up plain bottles and add them to a shelf or windowsill. Decorating doesn’t have to be expensive – just think outside of the box and customize what you have with what’s laying around your craft room.

Color Me Pretty: Orchard Inspiration

Try translating what inspires you from nature, for instance a trip to an orchard, into something handmade. You can try making your own cards, a notebook, or simply pinning things according to a specific palette onto your mood board to inspire you and decorate your work room.

Color Me Pretty: Orchard Inspiration

Lastly, I have been seeing coffee filters used for wrapping all over lately. I had first come across this funny use of filters in some Japanese craft books and was not entirely convinced. However, for a small gift I now think this ruffled thin paper looks quite sweet for wrapping. I am partial to the unbleached natural color of the basket filters paired with baker’s twine and a little red accent. Of course they are food safe so I can also imagine using them for wrapping holiday cookies in a couple months.

Color Me Pretty: Orchard Inspiration

I hope you have enjoyed this apple inspired post and I look forward to seeing you here next month. Until then take good care and maybe take some time to bake something yummy. – Leslie Shewring.

(images/styling: leslie shewring)

Posted by decor8 in Color Inspiration, Color Me Pretty on October 24, 2011

1. Mikkili commented
    October 24th, 2011 at 5:59pm

Love the apple serenade. Red is my favorite color. Thank you for sharing it with us.

2. Jen commented
    October 24th, 2011 at 6:00pm

This is SO inspiring! I love the mix of patterns and textures – and so resourceful!

3. manvi @ mochatini commented
    October 24th, 2011 at 6:04pm

SOLD!!! Love the journal. and all the pics are absolutely stunning. SO have to reblog these. Have a great week Holly and Leslie.
    manvi @ mochatini´s last blog post ..Happy Friday

4. Veridiana commented
    October 24th, 2011 at 6:05pm

Mmhhh, lecker and cosy…
    Veridiana´s last blog post ..Engelzeit – time for angels

5. Short Poems commented
    October 24th, 2011 at 6:35pm

Inspiring work…Love the journal and I so love your beautiful blog!

Take care
    Marinela
    Short Poems´s last blog post ..Season Poem For Children

6. Eva commented
    October 24th, 2011 at 6:45pm

Thank you for this great post! I live up north, too, in Finland, so any idea to brighten up the dark days of autumn is very welcome! The jars with tea lights are my favourite among these great decorating ideas! I have to try that NOW! :-) I love your colour story of apple-red and cinnamon-brown, too! AND: I love seeing how the light and surroundings in your pics reflect your new home! :-)
    Eva´s last blog post ..hoodie

7. San Diego Mobile Notary commented
    October 24th, 2011 at 6:53pm

SO inspiring! I love the mix of patterns and textures. Red is my favorite color. Thank you for sharing it with us.

8. Lisa commented
    October 24th, 2011 at 6:54pm

I always love your posts, Leslie!
    Lisa´s last blog post ..October Flower Workshop

9. Jessica Senti commented
    October 24th, 2011 at 6:59pm

Love it all! Thanks for another week of lovely inspiration! :)
    Jessica Senti´s last blog post ..{30 Days 30 Photos} Day 22

10. Traveling Mama commented
    October 24th, 2011 at 10:31pm

Leslie, this is absolutely stunning!! The colors are so warm and you have included so many different textures. It is so, so cozy! Stay warm, sweet friend! Best from Copenhagen!
    Traveling Mama´s last blog post ..in a little town called {paris}

11. Tracey Fisher commented
    October 25th, 2011 at 2:53am

I have those very filters kicking around my craft room waiting for something. I think they were going to be a flower project but I LOVE them as wrapping especially with twine and a touch of red. The journal image is also so inspiring. Thanks Leslie!
    Tracey Fisher´s last blog post ..Felt Flower Ring

12. Wave Avenue commented
    October 25th, 2011 at 4:34am

everything looked yum! makes me want to go visit an orchard. unfortunately there isn’t any close to that one you’ve shown around here in Singapore. there are gardens yeah, but nothing like that.. the only ‘orchard’ we have is the place where all the malls are.. XD
    Wave Avenue´s last blog post ..rd favorited Chingchingaaa!’s blog post ‘Fave Pics of the Day – Revisited’

13. jonahliza commented
    October 25th, 2011 at 5:09am

i, absolutely, love this post.. the rustic tart looks amazing. can’t wait to try it! and those floating tea lights? too cute.

14. Shanon commented
    October 25th, 2011 at 5:38am

We went on our first official orchard visit this year. I don’t know why I hadn’t gone sooner! (Oh yeah, I grew up on a farm with our own two large apple trees. That might have been why…) But there is inspiration and beauty everywhere in an orchard, true autumn storybook goodness. I really like how you’ve translated it here. There is a modern edge as well, that really rounds it out nicely. And oh dear, the smell of baking apples… what is better this time of year? =)
    Shanon´s last blog post ..words to shoot by

15. Diane commented
    October 25th, 2011 at 6:43am

Love this yummy apple post! Great wrapping idea too. Thank you Leslie :)

16. Caitlin commented
    October 25th, 2011 at 8:01am

Just beautiful! So cozy and perfect for fall :) I definitely want a hot apple cider now!
    Caitlin´s last blog post ..September

17. Nat @ Dear Little House commented
    October 25th, 2011 at 10:35am

There are some awesome ideas here! Looks like you have been having a great time :)
    Nat @ Dear Little House´s last blog post ..Rockn’ brides.

18. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    October 25th, 2011 at 4:42pm

So warm, cosy and lovely hun….as always. And yes, that smell( especially when you are coming in from outdoors) is the best….I love this time of year, I really do and this post sums it up so well. Just beautiful, thank you for sharing it with us sweet Leslie!
    xo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Cheap & Chic

19. Kathi commented
    October 25th, 2011 at 5:22pm

oh, I am so inspired by this post ! simple, wonderful ideas here- thank you :D

20. Laura Gaskill commented
    October 25th, 2011 at 7:22pm

Apple picking is one of my favorite new traditions now that I live in New England, it really spells Fall to me. I still have a big paper bag full in my cupboard, so I think I will be needing to try out that crostata – yum! Plus, with a very limited budget on gifting this year, I am keen to find creative little presents to create by hand, and I love your ideas to craft simple notebooks and also jar cranberry-apple conserve, which sounds scrumptious and looks so lovely all ruby red in the glass jars.

Hope you and your family are doing well, dear Leslie! xo Laura
    Laura Gaskill´s last blog post ..A Stylist’s Abode

21. shannon fricke commented
    October 26th, 2011 at 12:25am

Leslie,
    Thank you for the divine inspiration – this post has inspired me to get out into the paddocks and grow grow grow… Although it’s a little too warm for apples here in Byron Bay – citrus and stone fruit loves the conditions…
    sx

22. Lynda Naranjo commented
    October 26th, 2011 at 8:25pm

This is a gorgeous colour palette Leslie! The crostata looks delicious and I love the tea lights in glass jars! I’ve got more than a few jam jars around that would be perfect for this. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Lynda Naranjo´s last blog post ..Apple Season!

23. mary ann commented
    October 27th, 2011 at 5:41am

leslie – i’ve missed your posts. so glad to see you over here. promise you’ll blog about your new home soon. okay?
    your small collections always enchant and inspire.
    happy autumn way up there in the north.
    sending you warm los angeles breezes…
    mary ann´s last blog post ..savoring the experience

24. fenny setiawan commented
    October 27th, 2011 at 8:09am

Another lovely and great post from you, Leslie. I am a huge fans of this Column. Never get enough to discover new inspiration from your post every time I read.
    I am not really fans of Apple, but surely this post makes me change my mind to at least have an apple pie for snack later this week haha…
    fenny setiawan´s last blog post ..Baby’s breath flowers

25. elisa commented
    October 27th, 2011 at 1:11pm

glorious, i love seeing your autumn on the island. are they just regular tea lights, or rounded ones made for floating, leslie? my mother does this at christmas, i could gaze at it for hours. x

26. Barb Littlefield commented
    October 28th, 2011 at 7:54pm

Wonderful pictures….Just makes me happy to look at all of it! Thanks Leslie

27. leslie commented
    October 29th, 2011 at 1:42am

Hi Elisa, these are just regular tea lights and I took the silver cup off the bottom. Thank you!
    leslie´s last blog post ..Apples & An Update

28. eliane commented
    October 29th, 2011 at 5:40pm

BEAUTIFUL !
    INSPIRING !
    COLORFUL !
    HAPPINESS !
    AND MUCH MORE WORDS TO DESCRIBE THIS WONDERFUL BLOG !
    MERCI BEAUCOUP POUR LE REGAL DES YEUX !
    ELIANE