Decorating Tips

Stylist Olga Naiman

October 31, 2011

Brooklyn-based stylist and event planner Olga Naiman from Aparat has an impressive client list and a gorgeous online portfolio that you’ll no doubt love viewing today. I’m liking the overall vibe here…

Stylist Olga Naiman

I’m particularly drawn to the strong colors and patterns in these spaces though lately pink and red aren’t doing it for me nearly as much as petrol blue which is that gorgeous greyish blue tinted with green that lots of magazines are flaunting at the moment. I particularly love it paired with goldenrod. But I digress… Despite my petrol + goldenrod admiration, these lovely red tones are total headturners– especially as December draws nearer and nearer and I see red everywhere. I find these rooms quite intriguing… And I’m totally digging chevron – still. You too?

Stylist Olga Naiman

Olga Naiman has worked with clients such as Domino, Anthropologie, Real Simple, People magazine, BBC and more. She currently works as a freelance stylist creating gorgeous rooms in CB2 catalogs and for Crate & Barrel along with West Elm, too. Nice job!

Stylist Olga Naiman

I love her educational background too – no doubt her BA in Clinical Psychology from Tufts University combined with her MA in Scenography/ Installation Art from St. Martin’s helps her a great deal to create events and catalog pages that speak to people… Styling is so much about getting in touch with all of the senses and understanding how people think but also for telling stories visually. Her styling work has a very easygoing, imperfectly perfect charm about it that makes me feel as though a person is nearby and will soon re-enter the room to get back to what they were doing before they left. Her rooms really look alive and have soul to them, don’t you think? For me, that’s what makes a great stylist – the arrangement of objects that feel like there is a beating heart behind it all.

What do you think makes a stylist great?

(images: from the site of olga naiman)

You Might Also Like

11 Comments

• Reply Marit November 1, 2011 at 12:12 am

So beautiful! Love the chevron rug, gold lamp and fun pops of color.

• Reply Amber@ don't sew angry November 1, 2011 at 12:19 am

I agree…that blue with goldenrod is spot on! I think a good stylist definitely needs an innovative mind, ability to listen your gut, a sense of humor, and the bravery to try the outrageous now and then. I also think it’s so important to design from large to small and to make sure there are moments of wonder!

• Reply Jamie says dream November 1, 2011 at 1:50 am

I can really see your point about why Olga Naiman is a great stylists. Espacially in the last photos in red and pink it really looks like the person who lives there could come back any minute.

Lately I have been trying to “walk in to the photo” and try to get and idea of how it would feel to bee in the room. Would I like to live or hang out there, or is it just a beautiful/provocative/eye catching photo that have nothing to do with a home? Sometimes interior photos can be enjoyed more like art, but if I’m looking for interior inspiration I prefer the ones who has a connection to real homes.

• Reply TheChangingHouse November 1, 2011 at 2:44 am

The colours are really fabulous! The orange, pink and magenta are great together! I would never consider them, but I am impressed!

• Reply tinajo November 1, 2011 at 7:40 am

I love these patterns, the rug is wonderful and so are the bowls! :-)

• Reply Nat @ Dear Little House November 1, 2011 at 8:19 am

Love the pink chevron :)

• Reply Rebecca November 1, 2011 at 11:08 am

Oooh I love the confident mix of colour and pattern here! I think the best styling tries to keep it real, it’s so much better to imagine someone actually living in a space and a personality coming through…x

• Reply Stéphanie Rousseau November 1, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Wouah! I’m crazy about these patterns!

• Reply Alexandra November 1, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Love the colour schemes and patterns. Red and pinkish tones are very in at the moment. Works well with blue and grey tones as well. wonderful work

• Reply Kristina Gulino November 7, 2011 at 12:12 am

You can’t go wrong with the painted white brick fireplace in the first photo! I’m so glad you mentioned the pink thing, because, unless it’s a little girl’s room, it doesn’t fly with me. Recently, I’ve been into the burlaps, creme and grey-blues as well (it must be this fall weather)! I think a great stylist is someone who listens to their clients’ needs, tries to save money where possible and gets the job done on time. Of course, having an eye for visuals is a plus too ;)

Kristina Gulino

• Reply Caroline November 8, 2011 at 1:35 am

I adore the four blue and white bowls- they are just what I have been looking for!

Does anyone know where I could find these or something similar?

Adore adore adore.