Books + Magazines

What Liberty Ate

November 18, 2011

I’m so in love with e-mags but we need more spice and variety out there because they are basically starting to all look the same. Have you noticed? That’s why when a new one hits the web, I flip through it yearning to find a new perspective, fresh ideas, and something that makes me stop and say ohhh yes, that’s a nice idea… It’s funny how picky we are despite that this content is always free – I don’t know anyone charging for e-mags (though I think everyone should be but that’s a whole ‘nother conversation), BUT we the consumers are particular about what we consume – free or not – simply because most of us have zero “free” time and anything, even the pure pleasure of reading a magazine or book, requires setting aside the time to actually do it. When I consume anything lately, particularly online, I make sure it’s really good stuff. What I’m about to show you is quite worth your time to peruse – I think it’s really well done for a one-woman-show. Meet Gabriela and What Liberty Ate….

What Liberty Ate

It seems that most e-mags come out of America, though more and more are starting to pop up in the UK, Europe and abroad (which I love and wholeheartedly support – we need diversity!). That’s why when I heard from Gabriela Iancu, a graphic designer and photographer in the Czech Republic, I had to learn more about her brand new e-mag called What Liberty Ate. Here are a few of my favorite glimpses…

What Liberty Ate

What Liberty Ate

What Liberty Ate

What Liberty Ate

Gabriela loves food and travel, and her beautiful blog deliciously shares her love with others. She thought to combine the two with some of her favorite food bloggers and created a magazine to shine a spotlight on the best food photography around the world. In What Liberty Ate, you can find interviews with American food bloggers like Sprouted Kitchen, Desserts for Breakfast and Not without Salt along with food bloggers in Romania like the ladies behind I’m Learning to Cook, the Delightful and Bite and Cook. There are also lots of delicious recipes for the season (cookies, my favorite!) and Gabriela traveled to Venice and the old town district of Prague to capture the mood of both cities and to talk about the foods there that she enjoyed.

What Liberty Ate

What Liberty Ate

All I can say is nom, nom, nom! What a sweet magazine and I hope that you enjoy it as much as currently am. A big congratulations to Gabriela for the courage and confidence to pursue your dreams and turn them into a published e-mag. Woot woot!

(images: what liberty ate magazine)

You Might Also Like

• Reply silke November 18, 2011 at 2:07 pm

The french rose apple tarte is my new favourite for next sunday!

• Reply theaxx November 18, 2011 at 4:36 pm

oooh yes! It’s a bit scary making a magazine, but I guess like all things if you’re passionate it’ll be okay in the end and the passion will shine through :)

• Reply Rebecca November 18, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Just had a quick ‘flick’ through and it looks absolutly beautiful, the food and styling are delicious! Thanks for this fab share!x

• Reply leaca November 18, 2011 at 5:20 pm

oh wow….yum!

• Reply Mia November 18, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Very cool! And as a graphic designer, I am picky!

• Reply Heather November 18, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Mouth watering pictures! The French Rose Tart looks fabulous. I love anything apple! The pumpkin bread looks really good too… I almost wish this was in print so I could carry the whole thing to the kitchen to cook! Thank you for sharing

• Reply A Plum By Any Other Name November 18, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Those cinnamon winter cookies really sound like something special. And something I need to make to keep me distracted from the thought of winter. Wonderful read, thanks for sharing the food love.

• Reply Meriem November 18, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Couldn’t agree more, there are too many e mags that look the same today but this one looks really beautiful and a joy to read. I like the software they used (issuu) to create this magazine but wonder if its possible to create hyperlinks on certain areas, to link to other urls not just email address hyperlinks? This is something i would love to find out about issuu.

Lovely post by the way!

• Reply Rose November 18, 2011 at 9:31 pm

These images are so gorgeous. Being so well styled I can almost smell and taste these dishes. I agree – nom,nom and another nom nom

• Reply Mina November 18, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Yea… so I’m 8 months pregnant and I could eat everything in those pictures in one sitting! haha! : ) Lovely pictures though. I look forward to browsing through this new online mag. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply uschi36 November 18, 2011 at 11:21 pm

thanks for sharing ! this is such a lovely e-magazine ! beautiful !

• Reply Katie Truelove November 19, 2011 at 3:25 am

Oooh I love the picture with all the masks!

• Reply dknewmedia November 19, 2011 at 7:13 am

Oh my gosh! I have never seen strawberries or an apple tart look so delicious. You are correct, there is definitely something special about this magazine. I will be looking into this. Thanks for the great post.

• Reply Gabriela {What Liberty Ate} November 19, 2011 at 9:02 am

A big thank you to Decor8 for featuring my magazine inside its pages. A big thank you to everybody, for all these beautiful comments and thoughts and encouragements. It has been a long and difficult road to make this magazine alone, a bit overwhelming, but so full of lessons and satisfaction, and I’m more than thrilled to hear that you appreciate it!

• Reply Kate Wilson November 19, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Beautiful images! And I want to know where she got the cool fork in the last photo!

• Reply Gabriela {What Liberty Ate} November 19, 2011 at 9:43 pm

@Kate – The fork is vintage, I bought via Etsy, there you can find lots of good props! ;)

• Reply Jamima November 20, 2011 at 12:50 am

YUM! Gorgeous pics and all those deserts look amazing. It makes me want to bake!

• Reply nan November 20, 2011 at 2:48 am

LOVED IT!!!!!

• Reply Louise November 20, 2011 at 6:59 am

The images are delightful! Very mouth watering! Love it!
    I love e-mags they are a source of great information, inspiration and diversity!
    There are so many talented people in this world it’s great to find new and wonderful creations everyday – thank you for sharing! :)

• Reply elisa November 20, 2011 at 9:11 pm

gorgeous work, gabriela you are very inspiring! x

• Reply kimme November 20, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Beautiful photos of some delicious food! There is definitely something to be said for following your passion in life-thanks for sharing!

• Reply molly November 21, 2011 at 7:25 am

the beautiful yet delicious food!!! how i wish to take a try for them!!!

• Reply Judy November 21, 2011 at 8:00 am

Woooooo~I love dessert~And I love your post~

• Reply Hannah @ Sparrow + Spark! November 21, 2011 at 8:06 am

The pictures look amazing. This looks like such a great magazine. You are right- variety is much needed!

• Reply Momographica November 22, 2011 at 10:22 pm

What a beautiful magazine! The pictures are stunning.
    I am a fan of food pictures myself, they are artistic and tell interesting stories.

• Reply Charles December 7, 2011 at 11:40 am

looks lovely and stunning pictures. I think the e-magazines should stay free though, thats the beauty of the internet isn’t it having free access to information about anything and everything

• Reply Jen May 7, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Unfortunately this magazine does not look original to me. It seems like a complete copy of the “What Katie Ate” blog, including the name, photography style, and fonts used.