What Liberty Ate

I’m so in love with e-mags but we need more spice and variety out there because they are basically starting to all look the same. Have you noticed? That’s why when a new one hits the web, I flip through it yearning to find a new perspective, fresh ideas, and something that makes me stop and say ohhh yes, that’s a nice idea… It’s funny how picky we are despite that this content is always free – I don’t know anyone charging for e-mags (though I think everyone should be but that’s a whole ‘nother conversation), BUT we the consumers are particular about what we consume – free or not – simply because most of us have zero “free” time and anything, even the pure pleasure of reading a magazine or book, requires setting aside the time to actually do it. When I consume anything lately, particularly online, I make sure it’s really good stuff. What I’m about to show you is quite worth your time to peruse – I think it’s really well done for a one-woman-show. Meet Gabriela and What Liberty Ate….

What Liberty Ate e-mag

It seems that most e-mags come out of America, though more and more are starting to pop up in the UK, Europe and abroad (which I love and wholeheartedly support – we need diversity!). That’s why when I heard from Gabriela Iancu, a graphic designer and photographer in the Czech Republic, I had to learn more about her brand new e-mag called What Liberty Ate. Here are a few of my favorite glimpses…

Desserts for Breakfast_spread

What Liberty Ate e-mag

What Liberty Ate e-mag

What Liberty Ate e-mag

Gabriela loves food and travel, and her beautiful blog deliciously shares her love with others. She thought to combine the two with some of her favorite food bloggers and created a magazine to shine a spotlight on the best food photography around the world. In What Liberty Ate, you can find interviews with American food bloggers like Sprouted Kitchen, Desserts for Breakfast and Not without Salt along with food bloggers in Romania like the ladies behind I’m Learning to Cook, the Delightful and Bite and Cook. There are also lots of delicious recipes for the season (cookies, my favorite!) and Gabriela traveled to Venice and the old town district of Prague to capture the mood of both cities and to talk about the foods there that she enjoyed.

Picture 49

What Liberty Ate e-mag

All I can say is nom, nom, nom! What a sweet magazine and I hope that you enjoy it as much as currently am. A big congratulations to Gabriela for the courage and confidence to pursue your dreams and turn them into a published e-mag. Woot woot!

(images: what liberty ate magazine)

Posted by decor8 in Books + Magazines on November 18, 2011

1. silke commented
    November 18th, 2011 at 2:07pm

Gorgeous!!!
    The french rose apple tarte is my new favourite for next sunday!

silke

2. theaxx commented
    November 18th, 2011 at 4:36pm

oooh yes! It’s a bit scary making a magazine, but I guess like all things if you’re passionate it’ll be okay in the end and the passion will shine through :)

thea.
    xx

(spoonfulzine)
    theaxx´s last blog post ..Twenty days to go…. bow BOW!!
    thea.xx

3. Rebecca commented
    November 18th, 2011 at 4:47pm

Just had a quick ‘flick’ through and it looks absolutly beautiful, the food and styling are delicious! Thanks for this fab share!x
    Rebecca´s last blog post ..pinterest pick of the week…

4. leaca commented
    November 18th, 2011 at 5:20pm

oh wow….yum!
    leaca´s last blog post ..alaska living

5. Mia commented
    November 18th, 2011 at 5:39pm

Very cool! And as a graphic designer, I am picky!

6. Heather commented
    November 18th, 2011 at 7:46pm

Mouth watering pictures! The French Rose Tart looks fabulous. I love anything apple! The pumpkin bread looks really good too… I almost wish this was in print so I could carry the whole thing to the kitchen to cook! Thank you for sharing
    Heather´s last blog post ..Book Review: The Perfectly Imperfect Home

7. A Plum By Any Other Name commented
    November 18th, 2011 at 7:53pm

Those cinnamon winter cookies really sound like something special. And something I need to make to keep me distracted from the thought of winter. Wonderful read, thanks for sharing the food love.
    A Plum By Any Other Name´s last blog post ..By Chance, Spiced Banana Bread with Cinnamon Crumble Topping

8. Meriem commented
    November 18th, 2011 at 9:06pm

Couldn’t agree more, there are too many e mags that look the same today but this one looks really beautiful and a joy to read. I like the software they used (issuu) to create this magazine but wonder if its possible to create hyperlinks on certain areas, to link to other urls not just email address hyperlinks? This is something i would love to find out about issuu.

Lovely post by the way!
    Meriem´s last blog post ..Selected for the Guardian Christmas Gift Guide…………..

9. Rose commented
    November 18th, 2011 at 9:31pm

These images are so gorgeous. Being so well styled I can almost smell and taste these dishes. I agree – nom,nom and another nom nom
    Rose´s last blog post ..The Secret To Selecting A Contractor Or Artisan

10. Mina commented
    November 18th, 2011 at 10:03pm

Yea… so I’m 8 months pregnant and I could eat everything in those pictures in one sitting! haha! : ) Lovely pictures though. I look forward to browsing through this new online mag. Thanks for sharing.

11. uschi36 commented
    November 18th, 2011 at 11:21pm

thanks for sharing ! this is such a lovely e-magazine ! beautiful !

12. Katie Truelove commented
    November 19th, 2011 at 3:25am

Oooh I love the picture with all the masks!
    Katie Truelove´s last blog post ..Travel Photo Friday: Beijing

13. dknewmedia commented
    November 19th, 2011 at 7:13am

Oh my gosh! I have never seen strawberries or an apple tart look so delicious. You are correct, there is definitely something special about this magazine. I will be looking into this. Thanks for the great post.

14. Gabriela {What Liberty Ate} commented
    November 19th, 2011 at 9:02am

A big thank you to Decor8 for featuring my magazine inside its pages. A big thank you to everybody, for all these beautiful comments and thoughts and encouragements. It has been a long and difficult road to make this magazine alone, a bit overwhelming, but so full of lessons and satisfaction, and I’m more than thrilled to hear that you appreciate it!

15. Kate Wilson commented
    November 19th, 2011 at 8:49pm

Beautiful images! And I want to know where she got the cool fork in the last photo!
    Kate Wilson´s last blog post ..A Little Fresh Air

16. Gabriela {What Liberty Ate} commented
    November 19th, 2011 at 9:43pm

@Kate – The fork is vintage, I bought via Etsy, there you can find lots of good props! ;)

17. Jamima commented
    November 20th, 2011 at 12:50am

YUM! Gorgeous pics and all those deserts look amazing. It makes me want to bake!
    Jamima´s last blog post ..Hill Workout: banish workout boredom part 2

18. nan commented
    November 20th, 2011 at 2:48am

LOVED IT!!!!!

19. Louise commented
    November 20th, 2011 at 6:59am

The images are delightful! Very mouth watering! Love it!
    I love e-mags they are a source of great information, inspiration and diversity!
    There are so many talented people in this world it’s great to find new and wonderful creations everyday – thank you for sharing! :)

20. elisa commented
    November 20th, 2011 at 9:11pm

gorgeous work, gabriela you are very inspiring! x

21. kimme commented
    November 20th, 2011 at 11:38pm

Beautiful photos of some delicious food! There is definitely something to be said for following your passion in life-thanks for sharing!

22. molly commented
    November 21st, 2011 at 7:25am

the beautiful yet delicious food!!! how i wish to take a try for them!!!

23. Judy commented
    November 21st, 2011 at 8:00am

Woooooo~I love dessert~And I love your post~

24. Hannah @ Sparrow + Spark! commented
    November 21st, 2011 at 8:06am

The pictures look amazing. This looks like such a great magazine. You are right- variety is much needed!
    Hannah @ Sparrow + Spark!´s last blog post ..I Bought a Purple Coat

25. Momographica commented
    November 22nd, 2011 at 10:22pm

What a beautiful magazine! The pictures are stunning.
    I am a fan of food pictures myself, they are artistic and tell interesting stories.

Barbara
    Momographica´s last blog post ..Creative Blogger Weekly 4

26. Charles commented
    December 7th, 2011 at 11:40am

looks lovely and stunning pictures. I think the e-magazines should stay free though, thats the beauty of the internet isn’t it having free access to information about anything and everything

27. Jen commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 3:53pm

Unfortunately this magazine does not look original to me. It seems like a complete copy of the “What Katie Ate” blog, including the name, photography style, and fonts used.