Highlights: My Class in Berlin

Hello everyone! I was in Berlin again and now that I’m back home I want to share some highlights! This time, I taught a gift wrapping class for Anthropologie at the amazing Barcomi’s cafe where they had a “pop up cafe” this week to celebrate the launch of their new German online shop. I was able to chat briefly with owner, author and baking queen Cynthia Barcomi (a highlight!) before I got started and then, my students arrived and we made pretty and inspiring gift packaging and tags using torn fabric, masking tape, decorative papers, maps, paper punches, rubber stamps, cocktail napkins, lace, yarn, etc.

Crafty Class Projects

Below is a photo of me with my dear students (I’m in the center in green). There were 8 of us, but a few others joined in like my friend Sandra Juto and fashion blogger Camilla along with Jana and Massimiliano, so there were 13 of us total and it was such a fun bunch!

Berlin Gift Wrapping Class

On the table you can see all of the things that we made. Each student made 4 projects, some did 5 — a box, a gift tag, a lunch bag and a sheet of patchwork paper. The patchwork “quilted” paper ideas was one that I learned from my dear friend Leslie Shewring that she taught in her washi tape class in St. Paul this past Fall at The Creative Connection event. I can’t take any credit for that idea but Leslie told me I could teach them how to do it so I did and they had a good time making their patchwork sheet of wrapping paper. Above you can see me with Anna Sterntaler, Simone Haffner, Annie Raymond, Toni, Ursula Markgraf, Julianne, Anja, Urszula Lotysz-Bossart.

Berlin Gift Wrapping Class

Berlin Gift Wrapping Class

My idea was to show them how to make gifts look pretty without always running out to the store for the typical roll of wrapping paper and pre-made bows and tags and so I taught them how to create beautiful gifts using what they may already have at home. I thought this was very much a part of the Anthropologie way of thinking as well — to be creative with what you already have because Anthro is known to be such an inspiring place to shop since they’re very creative with their own store displays using random objects to create gorgeous installations.

Here are some pictures of the things that I made. I used basic white boxes from a discount store and applied tapes, papers, torn fabrics and even cocktail napkins to decorate them. In Germany, white paper bags are everywhere right now for Advent so I used them to decorate as well. I told students that these bags are great for giving baked goods – just wrap cookies or chocolates and place inside with a sheet of pretty tissue paper or shredded paper.

Crafty Class Projects

Crafty Class Projects

Crafty Class Projects

I naturally went with my soft color palette with a punch of hot pink or turquoise. I think it’s important to go with what your instinct tells you and wrap gifts in a way that not only reflects your personal style but that shows the recipient that you thought of them in a special way and made the outside look just as nice as the gift waiting within.

Crafty Class Projects

Crafty Class Projects

Crafty Class Projects

The gift above was topped with torn fabrics as ribbon and a silver star.

Crafty Class Projects

The box above in purple and orange was wrapped using two cocktail napkins. One for the bottom, the other for the top, in two different patterns to add interest. If the cocktail napkin doesn’t cover the box entirely, that’s okay — you can trim it out with tapes, found papers and ribbons and it will look great!

I had such a great time, thank you to Massimiliano (Grazie mille!) for helping organize everything and for my students (Danke schön!) for joining me and Anthropologie at Barcomi’s for a crafty class!

(photos with white borders: anna sterntaler/all others: holly becker)

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on November 27, 2011

1. tinajo commented
    November 27th, 2011 at 2:44pm

Looks like you had a great time – and those tags and boxes are cute! :-)
    tinajo´s last blog post ..One done – three to go..!

2. Maria commented
    November 27th, 2011 at 2:55pm

They are all lovely! So nice ideas and simple and cute! We may not have been in the class but thanks to this post we learnt a lot and I am now ready for Christmas time gift wrapping! Thank you Holly!
    Maria´s last blog post ..Το αγαπημένο μου app (έχει να κάνει με τον ύπνο!) – My favorite app (sleep related!)

3. kim baise commented
    November 27th, 2011 at 3:17pm

fantastic wrapping ideas and i want that koi fish cup with painted scaley handle!!!!
    kim baise´s last blog post ..mini mobiles

4. Ege Denne commented
    November 27th, 2011 at 3:25pm

Nice idea :)

Have a nice day :)
    Ege Denne´s last blog post ..Det ble lys..

5. Ría commented
    November 27th, 2011 at 3:40pm

What a nice class! I hope you come sometime to Spain and then I will able to go to one of your classes.
    Have a great sunday!
    Greetings from Spain.

Ría´s last blog post ..I want it.

6. Cam commented
    November 27th, 2011 at 3:41pm

thanks so much Holly for letting me be a part of your Crafts & Fun Group at Barcomi’s .. it was a great time and experience!

Hope to meet once again soon.. stay in touch!

Best xoxo

Cam
    Cam´s last blog post ..German Press Days: ”kidneykaren” …

7. Silke3d commented
    November 27th, 2011 at 4:30pm

Some nice ideas for personalized christmas gifts :D

Your class looks like fun, envy so much that i cant be there :(

8. Mitzi Curi commented
    November 27th, 2011 at 5:13pm

Fresh ideas, beautiful colors. I love it! I’m a fan of washi tape, but don’t own any (yet)…..
    Mitzi Curi´s last blog post ..Decorating With Books, Part One

9. andriana {lifelikes} commented
    November 27th, 2011 at 6:03pm

I love when things look vintage – used – old – handmade, and show the beauty of imperfection! Great inspiration Holly… thank you!
    andriana {lifelikes}´s last blog post ..Fall is falling….

10. Misty DuBois commented
    November 27th, 2011 at 7:01pm

Love the colors! Great ideas. The birds in the purple and orange combination are lovely. Thanks, Holly : )
    Misty DuBois´s last blog post ..Black Forest Painting

11. tanja commented
    November 27th, 2011 at 9:22pm

GREAT …I love it ….greetings tani

12. Anette commented
    November 27th, 2011 at 10:01pm

Love the designs and those ‘unusual’ Christmas colors – it’s so GREAT to see something unique made out of ‘daily life’ things…
    Have a wonderful Advent – Time!
    Anette´s last blog post ..Washi Tape fever

13. Nicole B commented
    November 28th, 2011 at 1:30am

Holly,
    This is so special! Thank you for sharing your wonderful creativity!!
    Love,
    Nicole B

14. Jane commented
    November 28th, 2011 at 3:07am

Oh Holly – what deliciousness! I’m drinking in every detail – thanks so much for sharing ?. J x
    Jane´s last blog post ..Some Saturday soul food: Elisabeth Kuebler-Ross

15. Rose commented
    November 28th, 2011 at 4:48am

This is fabulous Holly. It looks like it could have been a whole lot of fun making this crafts as well.
    Rose´s last blog post ..St. George’s Cathedral Save The Roof Market

16. Hannah @ Sparrow + Spark! commented
    November 28th, 2011 at 8:14am

This looks like a great class! Great ideas. One of my favourite things about the holiday season is all of the gift wrapping- I love it!
    Hannah @ Sparrow + Spark!´s last blog post ..Lackluster

17. Juliette commented
    November 28th, 2011 at 9:41am

This looks like it was a fab time! I think the prize ribbon is adorable; such a good idea. I’m also loving the fabric strips. I’d planned on incorporating more fabric this year, but hadn’t really decided how -I’ll definitely be trying a few of these things myself! Thanks for sharing!
    Juliette´s last blog post ..DIY Advent Calendar Round-up 2011 (part 2) – What German Bloggers are Creating

18. Urszula Lotysz-Bossart commented
    November 28th, 2011 at 10:20am

It was a REALLY inspirational class! Thank you Holly! I already ordered some masking tape & stamps for wrapping this year’s gifts! :-))

19. Judy commented
    November 28th, 2011 at 10:49am

Wowooooo~Love all of these! Beautiful color, and so esquisite! LOVE~
    Judy´s last blog post ..Lovely fire balloons for kids

20. Stéphanie Rousseau commented
    November 28th, 2011 at 11:37am

Very nice ideas for christmas gift!
    Stéphanie Rousseau´s last blog post ..La forêt Gribouille

21. Kim commented
    November 28th, 2011 at 1:22pm

This looks so much fun! If you ever do this in the UK I’d love to attend.

Such beautiful things too. My favorite is this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/decor8/6411092527/ So pretty! Thanks for sharing

22. Jko commented
    November 28th, 2011 at 2:45pm

The boxes and tags are very nice and creative design. It seem fun and really a productive day for you.
    Jko´s last blog post ..how to get a girl to like you

23. the chronic utilitarian commented
    November 28th, 2011 at 8:08pm

holly, i so love this post.
    you always remind me to play more.
    thank you for that.
    the chronic utilitarian´s last blog post ..freshy fresh

24. Heidi commented
    November 29th, 2011 at 4:33am

Love these ideas! Thanks for sharing and capturing the moments in your lovely photos. I’m now inspired to wrap (although I still have much Christmas shopping to do! :) )
    Heidi´s last blog post ..Christmas Table Decorations in Bright White and Festive Reds – Ivy Lace

25. Annie Raymond commented
    November 29th, 2011 at 11:30am

It was so much fun! Thank you so much Holly for teaching us all of those great techniques! I’ve already picked up some washi tape… now I just need to finish my Christmas shopping, and I’ll be ready to make the most beautiful gifts I’ve ever made!

26. Denise commented
    November 29th, 2011 at 4:24pm

So beautiful and inspiring! Love the little tags with the washi tape.

27. Karboojeh commented
    December 7th, 2011 at 2:52am

so cute – love Anthropologie as well as your blog, so it’s like a match made in heaven, and to add icing on the cake, I’m in love with Berlin – i had a concert there a few years ago & was so sad to have to go back home; Berlin has such a strong creative energy.
    Anyhow – Great tags! very Berlin-ish ..
    Karboojeh´s last blog post ..Handmade jewelry display 101: Karboojeh’s journey in the world of craft shows

28. Cutelicious commented
    December 15th, 2011 at 8:13pm

Big thanks again for such a nice time!!! It was simply amazing!
    Cutelicious´s last blog post ..Holly Becker, Masking Tape & Berlin