Natural Look: By Nord

I find the natural, rustic look so appealing especially this time of year when the air is crisp and the smell of hot mulled wine fills the air from the many wooden glühwein huts dotted around town for weihnachtsmarkt. It’s such a gorgeous time! I love the coziness of it all. The products sold by Danish brand, By Nord, come to mind when I think about seasonal winter decorating in a very natural style – I just love their products and I’m crazy about their shower curtains and simply must order one because it’s rare that I find a shower curtain that I like — most do nothing for me! Do you have that problem as well?

By Nord

But yes, back to winter and why freezing cold weather doesn’t have to fill one with absolutely dread! My co-author Joanna was just here to visit me for two days from London and she felt inspired by the spirit in the air as we sat outside around a cozy fire last night enjoying dinner. It’s quite crisp outside yet the smell of burning wood and the sheer ambiance an outdoor crackling fire brings is so comforting — especially when huddled around an old wooden table with friends, noshing on good food and sipping hot mulled wine with both mittens firmly holding the cup to enjoy the heat. This traditional German outdoor market “experience” got me to thinking about the sheer joy that comes from doing the most down-to-earth (primitive even) of activities – sharing conversation, looking for a heat source to be warmed by, cooking outdoors, eating well prepared and nourishing food and a crackling fire casting a warm glow while creating a special mood that only gathering around a fire can bring. I think the photo below is a gorgeous example of natural style and I imagine having a fire outdoors at a home like this would be magical at night, don’t you? And how many of us would love to live like this?

By Nord

So simple, so pretty… Some of the best things in life really are the simplest of things. This makes me think more and more about decorating the home for winter and how we don’t need to spend a lot of money to create a little magic. Pine cones, branches, handmade objects, simple bowls and vessels, cheap pillar candles, twigs, pine, twine… Anything can change the look of a room so simply while adding warmth and beauty.

By Nord

By Nord

By Nord

By Nord

I recently found a pretty branch in the nearby forest and put it in my entryway in a large green vintage jug on the floor and decorated it with a few special things and it isn’t for any particular holiday or reason, just because it adds warmth to my entryway along with a bit of personality and natural style. Have you down anything lately in your home to bring in nature? I’d love to know!

By Nord is available in England here or in their online shop here. They are also available in other parts of the world so email them for their nearest retailer: info [at] bynord [dot] com.

(images: by nord)

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips on November 30, 2011

1. michelle from md interior design commented
    November 30th, 2011 at 11:25pm

I love all these colours holly… the beautiful moody greiges and you’re so right… real happiness is about the simple things.
    p.s. your dinner around the fire sounds so lovely.
    michelle
    michelle from md interior design´s last blog post ..Do you love fuchsia?

2. Something Gorgeous commented
    November 30th, 2011 at 11:45pm

What a lovely post, thank you for sharing, I love Danish design, so natural and warm looking. It’s the first day of Summer here in Australia but I still love the look of these rooms. x
    Something Gorgeous´s last blog post ..Grandfathers Axe

3. Nicole commented
    December 1st, 2011 at 12:03am

I love everything about this post, Holly! The rough wood furniture, pillows and colors! I grew up in a small village and now have the luck to live 5 minutes from the Eilenriede. There are no walks, without bringing home any sticks, leaves or stones. Either we make something with it or it will simply get a nice space to be decorative. Surround myself with these nature things, calms and grounds me. …and yes, the shower curtain are great!
    Nicole´s last blog post ..Fensterkleider

4. Lysann commented
    December 1st, 2011 at 1:13pm

The color range of these post is amazing! Black and white and natural wood is so elegant.
    By the way, you are totaly right about shower curtains, as it is a hard challenge for me, too, to find one I really like to have.

Thanks for sharing!
    X Lysann
    Lysann´s last blog post ..EINS | 3punktf

5. Bettina commented
    December 2nd, 2011 at 10:38am

Great colours and textures! I often use natural objects for decorating my home. I recently created a christmas decoration by painting a branch white and decorating it with selfmade paper tags and colourful christmas stars my son had made at school. I put it in an old glass jar wrapped with fabric tape in red and white. This makes a very personal statement and did not cost a lot.

6. Laura commented
    December 6th, 2011 at 9:10am

So nice post, I really love Danish’s design, feeling home and smell home,thank you for sharing:)
    Laura´s last blog post ..Wedding culture in Thailand