Shopping + Products

West Elm Wish List: 14 Favorite Things

November 30, 2011

I was thinking recently about American interiors retailer West Elm and how much I miss having a store nearby (or even in my country!) where I can go for inspiration and to buy great decorating objects from lighting to furniture and beyond. For those of you who once lived in America and who now live abroad you must be able to relate to sometimes feeling cut off from the mother ship, right!? Shopping in the states is always a huge draw for me when I visit home and I can’t wait until I’m back in NYC this January to hit the stores and indulge again – even if only to window shop!

West Elm Wish List: 14 Favorite Things

1. Owl dessert plates, 2. Turned-Leg Dhurrie Ottoman, 3. Marquis Rug, 4. Field Study Rimmed Dessert Plates.

When I’m missing a particular store, as dorky as this sounds, I’ll often visit their website and daydream about the things that I’d love to have but  today I thought I’d take it a step further and pull together a little West Elm wish list to inspire you, make home feel a little less far away for me, and hopefully to highlight some things that those of you living stateside may like to check out for yourself.

West Elm Wish List: 14 Favorite Things

5. Deco Sequin Pillow, 6. Long arm chandelier, 7. Taper shade sconce, 8. Chalkboard Candlepot.

West Elm Wish List: 14 Favorite Things
9. Porcelain ring dish, 10. Finn pendant, 11. Chevron shower curtain, 12. Turned table lamp.

West Elm Wish List: 14 Favorite Things

13. Floating lacquer frames (love! eek!).

West Elm Wish List: 14 Favorite Things
14. Paul Loebach Dining Table.

Though most of these companies (like West Elm) do ship internationally now, it’s not the same experience as walking into an actual shop to touch and experience the product in person, especially for a very tactile person like me but I can’t complain AND that chevron shower curtain IS calling my name, what about you!?

I hope that you’ve enjoyed my 14 faves…

(images: west elm)

You Might Also Like

22 Comments

• Reply Andrea @ the yellow cottage December 1, 2011 at 12:07 am

Those chalkboard candlepots would be super easy to make. They would be cute seating cards/placeholders for a dinner party.

• Reply Jack December 1, 2011 at 12:13 am

Love those chalkboard candle pots!

• Reply Anna December 1, 2011 at 12:23 am

Oh my goodness the chalkboard candlepot is just amazing. Great finds! Thanks for sharing. XO

• Reply Jillian December 1, 2011 at 12:24 am

I just got the new West Elm catalog, and it is a huge source of information. I really love the direction they’ve been taking over the past year, particularly the designer collaboration. The swing arm chandelier you chose above (#3) is definitely one of my favorites as well.

• Reply Anna December 1, 2011 at 1:24 am

I love that ottoman and shower curtain. Actually I love just about everything…

• Reply Kinga December 1, 2011 at 2:20 am

I Love the…owl plates…field rim dessert plates…chalk candles…marquis rug…all of it pretty much!

• Reply Barbara December 1, 2011 at 3:02 am

I am in LOVE with that dining table! The color and material is pretty perfect for it! All 14 items are great but the dining table definitely steals the show for me.

• Reply Kirsten Maxx December 1, 2011 at 7:03 am

I love looking through details. Those pieces of artworks are amazing! I love how you could reinvent things and make it more unique. No wonder they are your favorite things! On top of my list is #6 Long arm chandelier, it is warm and vibrant. A perfect accent to a vintage living room.

• Reply Tiffany December 1, 2011 at 7:22 am

Oh that porcelain bird ring dish is adorable! And only $19! Hmmm…

• Reply Juliette December 1, 2011 at 8:10 am

I’m loving that Finn pendant. And yes, I totally know what you mean. It sounds so materialistic, but it’s not that, it’s more of this association of ‘what you’re used to’. I really miss the ease of shopping that came with the variety of shops -and low prices- back in the US. Yes, there’s the internet, but it’s not the same if you want to experience the selection yourself; there’s also the shipping fees. Still, there’s a place for everything I suppose!

• Reply Stephie December 1, 2011 at 8:28 am

Oooh Holly! I have just ordered those owl plates – and a few other things as well – they had half price shipping to Australia so I went a little bit crazy! You have some great faves!

Stephie x

• Reply Shosh December 1, 2011 at 10:07 am

I agree – except that I miss Crate and Barrel ; ) Though I notice now that what I want doesn’t always jive with how people style their homes in my adopted country…even pieces of furniture have different lines (and not to mention that NA furniture is so much bigger than what actually would fit in my apartment)…

• Reply Lise December 1, 2011 at 11:22 am

Sweet selection! Thx for sharing

Have a lovely day

Lise

• Reply Lady Deirdre December 1, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Very nice list :) Can’t help think though that something doesn’t add up…

Where is number 13?

• Reply decor8 December 1, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Lady Dierdre – Haha oh thank you, I missed #13, it’s up there now. Thanks for telling me!!!

• Reply Meg Manion Silliker December 1, 2011 at 3:30 pm

everything on this list is brilliant. have you seen their beautiful throws? only $28 – in so many colors!!

• Reply carla@decorativity December 1, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I LOVE West Elm! I’m fortunate to live just 10 minutes or so from a store. I can’t tell if they’ve stepped up their game in recent years or if I just finally wised up but I think they trump their competitors right now, plus they match my personal style so well. They’ve also done a great job partnering with independent artists and hosting fun events for the community.

• Reply Traveling Mama December 1, 2011 at 8:34 pm

I have a few of these on my wish list as well. I am super excited about visiting West Elm in person in a couple weeks! I think our bags are going to be packed full for the trip home!

• Reply Lindsay doherty December 1, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Hi i LOVE that cushion and just went on to the website to order it (i live in the uk) and it says ‘We regret that we cannot ship to foreign countries’… Am i missing something?

• Reply Sue December 1, 2011 at 11:56 pm

Love love love these floating lacquer frames!!

• Reply mosey December 2, 2011 at 3:01 am

I totally understand. I lived abroad for 3 years and I browsed at websites so much that I started a blog to catalog everything I was missing. I used to order clothes and have them sent to my parent’s place, then my mum would ship them to me! Oh and I love west elm! Those are awesome picks.

• Reply dialoguewithspace December 2, 2011 at 5:42 am

Loving this shop! Just move from Paris to Manhattan, it was a great surprise to find out about this place, i m so addicted !