Color Me Pretty: Holiday Edition

Hello friends, it’s me Leslie and I’m here today to bring you a very merry holiday edition of Color Me Pretty. For me, it’s all about apple green, red and aqua at the moment because it feels fresh and joyous. What do you think of this palette?

Color Me Pretty December

Here’s how my inspiration began. First, I got really inspired by an old photo I found of my aunt at the Calgary Stampede circa 1970. The pale minty aqua was in my head for days and then I picked up a notebook set by Rifle Papers (for Chronicle Books) at Anthropologie and figured I had a pretty color combination to work with. Here is what inspired my color selections…

Color Me Pretty December

Color Me Pretty December

I later realized that my chosen palette is very Martha Stewart Living circa December 2009. Oh well! Great colors are meant to be used again and again. Check out that back issue if you can though as it is loaded with inspiration from Martha’s expert team.

Color Me Pretty December

During the holiday season I always enjoy some kind of crafting project. These days I am obsessed with painting driftwood. I promise, living on the dark and rainy Vancouver Island has not made me totally bonkers (yet). I am just really inspired by the work I saw in the summer of Toronto artist Ginette Lapalme. I saw this photo in her flickr and this post on her Tumblr and thought what a great idea! I decided to make a holiday tree out of driftwood I collected off the beach as shown above. I painted some patterns on each piece using acrylic paint from Martha Stewart Crafts. I am thinking of mounting it to a framed board or I could also hang them on a wall. These small pieces of driftwood are very light and thus easy to hang.

Color Me Pretty December

Holiday parties do not have to be elaborate. Little gestures of unexpected color can make regular items seem festive. I plan on using more of these stripey straws from my friend Jessie’s shop Sweet Lulu. She also supplies the petite milk bottles I have been using and some great treat bags that I have stocked up on.

Color Me Pretty December

Stripey straws can also make cute cards! I couldn’t help but cut up a few in apple green to make another tree motif. Simple buttons glued to white cardstock with a hand drawn stitch border can also be cute to pin on your mood board or to use as a pretty gift tag.

Color Me Pretty December

Gift-wrapping is a paper fanatics dream job. I could wrap gifts for days if I get to use interesting papers! I combined ordinary school supply graph papers with fabric tapes and various pieces of patterned prettiness I had around. I also tried drawing some patterns on some kraft boxes to use for some little treasures I will be giving during the holidays. I used a basic white acrylic paint to prime the boxes and then used some Marvy markers to add a few colors. These simple patterns should look nice even after the holidays are over.

Color Me Pretty December

Lastly, never underestimate the power of a single bloom! Pop them into clear bottles and wrap the bottles with your favorite washi tape, masking tap or fabric. If you use several down the center of your table you have a very affordable yet lovely tabletop with little effort.

Well, that’s it from me folks. I hope you all got an idea or two to take with you. I look forward to seeing you back here in the new year. Have a wonderful holiday season, all my very best to you. — Leslie Shewring, A Creative Mint.

(photos/styling: leslie shewring)

Posted by decor8 in Color Inspiration, Color Me Pretty on December 09, 2011

1. Eeli commented
    December 9th, 2011 at 12:17pm

Beautiful colors!
    Eeli´s last blog post ..Paintings in interior

2. kalanicut commented
    December 9th, 2011 at 12:20pm

Gorgeous Leslie. Gorgeous. Love the painted driftwood tree. I totally agree with you that I could wrap packages for a full-time job. Love using all the tapes, trims and baubles. I’m crazy for making gift tags out of paper scraps. Thank you for brightening this holiday season with another gorgeous Color Me Pretty!
    kalanicut´s last blog post ..The Shiny City Tour – Los Angeles

3. haniela commented
    December 9th, 2011 at 12:23pm

Hello!
    I just discovered you via a book I’m reading about blogging!
    I love stripey straw tree, so adorable.

4. tinajo commented
    December 9th, 2011 at 12:46pm

Fantastic inspiration as always – and these colors are among my favourites all year around. :-)
    tinajo´s last blog post ..Efva Attling

5. Francine commented
    December 9th, 2011 at 1:12pm

I am in love with these colours! I got a small white tree for my craft room, and now I know how I will decorate it! Plus I just might switch to white wrapping paper from my usual kraft after seeing your packages!
    Francine´s last blog post ..Thinking About December Past | Giveaway Winner!

6. Marina commented
    December 9th, 2011 at 1:39pm

So beautiful! I love the way you use for inspiration.
    Marina´s last blog post ..Calendrier de l’Avent pour 2011… – Advent Calendar for 2011…

7. Chrys commented
    December 9th, 2011 at 1:57pm

Hey Holly!!!
    God, your site it’s such an inspiration I’m a fan!!! Congratz :)
    I’m from Brazil and I’m crazy to buy your book, unfortunately it’s unavailable yet :/ i tried amazon but it didn’t work…i’ll try again but…do you you know if the book will be sold here?
    take care!! xo
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

8. Chrys commented
    December 9th, 2011 at 2:05pm

BTW:D your post its amazing the “cold” colors with red well used *-* just fantastic :D
    And i loved the idea of painting driftwood! really different, its not common here! Congratz Leslie!!!!!
    xx take care!

9. Ivy commented
    December 9th, 2011 at 2:21pm

Always Inspiring Leslie!!
    The photo of your Aunt is really neat. I love the story it tells.

Happy Holidays~
    Cheers~
    Ivy
    Ivy´s last blog post ..Jones Design Company and a little update from me

10. Laura {The Embellished Nest} commented
    December 9th, 2011 at 3:01pm

Gorgeous as always Leslie!
    Laura {The Embellished Nest}´s last blog post ..DIY Joy Word Art

11. Hailey commented
    December 9th, 2011 at 3:06pm

I LOVE your Blog! its amazing! I really like this colours and the pictures themselfs are also beautiful!!:)

12. Jessie commented
    December 9th, 2011 at 3:06pm

I’m in love with your color palette! I was happily drooling over your gorgeous photos, and then I scrolled down and squealed when I spotted our products – you made my day!! xx

13. Keia Mastrianni commented
    December 9th, 2011 at 3:47pm

Great inspiration, Leslie! I particularly love the shots of the ribbons in the cupcake holders (clever!) and the painted driftwood. The geometric patterns on them are my cuppa tea. Thanks for sharing.

14. andriana {lifelikes} commented
    December 9th, 2011 at 4:10pm

Really beautiful and very different from what we usually see around the Holiday season…
    andriana {lifelikes}´s last blog post ..Με τι να συνοδεύσω τη μουσική μου…

15. Jamima commented
    December 9th, 2011 at 4:17pm

Gorgeous, I love the painted driftwood tree! Thanks for the inspiration.
    Jamima´s last blog post ..Top 10 Gifts for the Runner in Your Life

16. Igor commented
    December 9th, 2011 at 4:26pm

Yet another amazing blog post by Leslie. Beautifully styled and shot. That driftwood Christmas tree is a knock-out!! Cheers, Igor xoxo
    Igor´s last blog post ..Happily Ever After: Tim Webber Design

17. Will @ Bright.Bazaar commented
    December 9th, 2011 at 4:30pm

Leslie is what I call a superstar stylist! That driftwood tree is genius and so quirky. Lovely!

18. cafenoHut commented
    December 9th, 2011 at 4:48pm

These are wonderful. I want to look at each image over and over again.
    cafenoHut´s last blog post ..Dantelli Mumluğumuz…

19. Lauren @ Polka Dots & Sprinkles commented
    December 9th, 2011 at 5:52pm

What pretty colors! I adore the tree made out of the paper straws…so cute!

Very inspirational!
    Lauren @ Polka Dots & Sprinkles´s last blog post ..Gift Ideas 2011

20. alison abbott commented
    December 9th, 2011 at 6:08pm

Leslie
    Once again your talented, creative mind shines thru. The painted driftwood is magical-inspired me for the collection I have. I also really appreciate the way you highlight your thought process.
    Alison
    alison abbott´s last blog post ..Eco-Friendly Gift Guide-Part 2

21. Linda Leyble commented
    December 9th, 2011 at 6:24pm

Hey Leslie – great colors – beautiful photos (as always). Love the straw as tree! Very creative!

I was part of the last BYW e-class and I want to thank you so much for all your ideas, tips and creativity. I am now working on changing my blog – alot…plus migrating over to WordPress…and I am getting my first SLR camera for Christmas…so hopefully the New Year will bring a new look to my blog.

Merry Christmas,

Linda
    Linda Leyble´s last blog post ..How to Really Pick the Right Paint Colors for Your Home: Tip #1

22. Cathy commented
    December 9th, 2011 at 6:41pm

Oh Leslie – yet again you have created something so beautiful and inspiring. I particularly love your gift-wrapping and the use of cupcake wrappers. I love the colour combination of red and aqua (have used it in some of my Christmas stationery) but never thought to add apple-green. Love it! Wishing you a lovely Christmas too! Cathy

23. Lisa commented
    December 9th, 2011 at 6:58pm

The driftwood tree is so creative! I love the idea of using something from nature in holiday design. Thank you for the inspiring post.
    Lisa´s last blog post ..Red Amaryllis

24. Theresa commented
    December 9th, 2011 at 7:05pm

Leslie, There is so much goodness here! As I embark on decorating the house for the holidays, you provided an abundance of amazing ideas. Yes, LOVE the drift wood. I just went on a Pinterest craze. Thank you!
    (And thank you, Holly, for gifting Leslie to us. ;)
    Cheers!
    Theresa´s last blog post ..{at this moment…}

25. Marit commented
    December 9th, 2011 at 7:05pm

Leslie- I love that driftwood tree idea. SO beautiful! Can’t wait to see more of your work next year and through BYW 2.0 :)
    Marit´s last blog post ..on the sixth day of christmas: have yourself a sparkly little christmas

26. JT commented
    December 9th, 2011 at 7:45pm

Leslie, I love the idea of using school graph paper and fabric tape to wrap presents. As usual, you’ve got wonderful ideas:)

I’ve also folded graph paper and stitched it into small notebooks. It’s perfect for messy writers like me.

Happy Holidays
    JT
    JT´s last blog post ..Friday Collection of Pretty Books 12.9.11

27. VisualJill commented
    December 9th, 2011 at 8:11pm

Leslie (and Holly) — I always enjoy this column but the time — WOW! I can just picture you with tiny paint brushes painting your tiny perfect patterns on the driftwood. Amazing. I will be thinking about this post for a long while. Thank you!
    VisualJill´s last blog post ..A Little Luxe in our Holiday Decor

28. Nicola commented
    December 9th, 2011 at 8:18pm

Absolutely delicious, Leslie x

29. Bonnie McCarthy commented
    December 9th, 2011 at 10:28pm

I feel like these colors are so “right now”. I find myself gravitating toward them again and again. Love the post!
    Bonnie McCarthy´s last blog post ..Collecting: For The Birds

30. Sheri Shay Johnson commented
    December 9th, 2011 at 11:48pm

Love this gorgeous color combo. Your driftwood tree is fabulous , Leslie!
    Happy Holidays !
    xo,
    Shay

31. Fenny setiawan commented
    December 10th, 2011 at 12:09am

Leslie never fails to amazed me. Lovely! Love the colors too. Love the gift wrapping ideas that she shares.

32. Susana@citrusandorange commented
    December 10th, 2011 at 12:38am

Leslie is always so great, I really love her!! I hope I can meet her and you, Holly, in the BYW London! :) ?
    Susana@citrusandorange´s last blog post ..Twinkle twinkle little star…

33. Lisa commented
    December 10th, 2011 at 2:53am

I love the pic of your aunt. I’m not usually in love with mint even though my favorite color is green. However, you’re such a great photographer that I’d probably love anything you took a picture of. Having said that I do like the mint with the red, turquoise and against the wood. It looks more crisp next to those colors.
    Lisa´s last blog post ..What Would You Do?

34. shanon commented
    December 10th, 2011 at 5:21am

This might be my favorite yet! So bright, cheerful, fresh, and airy– but more than all that. I can’t explain.
    Anyhow, happiest wishes to you and your family this December, Leslie! It was great meeting you in 2011 and I hope for tons of goodness for you in 2012. xoxo
    shanon´s last blog post ..little trees

35. Lily from Birch + Bird commented
    December 10th, 2011 at 6:28am

Gorgeous colour combination, Leslie! I love, love, love the painted driftwood tree too…thanks so much for sharing!
    Lily from Birch + Bird´s last blog post ..Let it snow.

36. janis - pine cone camp commented
    December 10th, 2011 at 8:39am

Great ideas Leslie! I’m a fan of driftwood too. Last year I made a wreath and a little tree which I will haul out again this weekend. I hope you’ve been enjoying the sunny weather lately ;)
    janis – pine cone camp´s last blog post ..Festive Friday

37. Inge commented
    December 10th, 2011 at 8:47am

Leslie is a ultra talented girl with a great view… I love all her color me pretty posts! And the gift wrapping ideas are so cute!!! L.O.V.E it!
    Inge x
    Inge´s last blog post ..About a Scandinavian house {new home tour}

38. Heather commented
    December 10th, 2011 at 9:29am

I agree with Will. Leslie is a super stylist. And one of my super heroines! Thanks for continuing to give your gift of simple, colorful style to us here~ So excited to see more of you in future projects! Love how personal your inspiration is. I’ve often thought about how our natural setting influences our color choices.
    Heather´s last blog post ..Gatherings Holiday Gift Guide

39. April San Pedro commented
    December 10th, 2011 at 1:26pm

oh Leslie, I love your gift wrapping ideas…

40. Jessica commented
    December 10th, 2011 at 4:14pm

I love the tree with painted driftwood! You really fused traditional and non-traditional holiday design beautifully.

41. Katy @ Helena and Elena commented
    December 10th, 2011 at 4:48pm

I love the Christmas tree made of driftwood! Painting bright patterns on wood is a great way to make a rustic, yet very fun piece of decor for the house. I might consider turning the driftwood into a wall mounting that could stay up all year. Such a wonderful idea!
    Katy @ Helena and Elena´s last blog post ..Holiday Inspiration- Fruit

42. Eileen commented
    December 10th, 2011 at 7:18pm

Just bought similar colours for my wrapping. Nice!

43. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    December 10th, 2011 at 11:10pm

Oh god….just absolutely gorgeous hunnie! I LOVE hearing about how your inspiration comes about and I love this color palette. That driftwood tree you made is just genius, I absolutely adore it! Thanks so much for sharing this with us, it makes me feel very cosy & hoiday-ish and completely inspired!
    xo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Little things & little moments

44. Tracey Fisher commented
    December 11th, 2011 at 4:49am

Leslie – I love the colour palette and the photo that started it all. Brilliant.

45. elisa commented
    December 11th, 2011 at 10:49am

leslie, it’s ever so beautiful. i wonder if you see a japanese influence in your work? i just realised how much you remind me of several japanese artists i’ve known a long time, their attention to detail, and always balancing delicate beauty without falling into the perils of ‘cute’ – it is s so exquisite, like your work. xx

46. Hannah @ Sparrow + Spark! commented
    December 12th, 2011 at 9:05am

I really love this colour scheme! Gorgeous.
    Hannah @ Sparrow + Spark!´s last blog post ..Little Fashion Gallery

47. Diane commented
    December 13th, 2011 at 3:32am

Love this post Leslie. Your driftwood tree is amazing. Great colour palette!!

48. Brooke H commented
    December 13th, 2011 at 6:52am

Another beautiful palette. Great job Leslie! :)
    Brooke H´s last blog post ..Fabulous Doodles 2011 Gift Guide

49. Jessica Nichols commented
    December 14th, 2011 at 7:50pm

Red and aqua are my signature colors, I used them for my packaging in my Etsy shop and I use them for my holiday decorating too. Shared a bit last December on my blog: http://www.sweeteventide.com/2010/12/scene-around-home-non-traditional.html

Yay for red & aqua!
    Jessica Nichols´s last blog post ..Jessica Takes a Sabbatical

50. designospire commented
    December 17th, 2011 at 2:30pm

Leslie, Truley love color me pretty posts. They are always very inspirational and I always look forward to read them.
    Keep the good work on!

51. JoyHey commented
    December 22nd, 2011 at 7:33pm

Wonderful! Thanks so much for the ideas :) Blogged here: http://blog.joyhey.com/2011/12/22/inspiration-colorful-christmas/