Decorating Tips

Where Does Your Stuff Come From?

December 21, 2011

I found this ultra helpful and know that you will too… I love that blogger Alaina Kaczmarski tells her readers exactly where things are from her home by tagging as many items as she can in her home tour photos.

Where Does Your Stuff Come From?

Where Does Your Stuff Come From?

Where Does Your Stuff Come From?

Where Does Your Stuff Come From?

While Alaina openly admits that most of these items are no longer available, I still see value in doing this (using mini tags to list resources) on home tour photos because it’s just so darn nice to know where stuff is from. Especially paint colors. Great idea, Alaina.

So tell me, if you were to tag a room in your home what would your things reveal as to where you shop most frequently? Pottery Barn? IKEA? Anthropologie? West Elm? Homegoods? Flea markets/thrift shops? Inherited from family and friends? Yard sales? Think about it – could be quite interesting to learn more about your shopping habits!

(images: Alaina Kaczmarski)

You Might Also Like

32 Comments

• Reply Chedva December 21, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I loved the way Alaina did this too. My tags would have a nice amount of Ikea, vintage shops, and some cheap “student furniture” that we’re replacing step by step, plus a lot of accessories from Etsy and craft fairs.

• Reply Mary December 21, 2011 at 3:00 pm

My tags would all be either, thrift store garage sale, or given to me by friend. I hardly ever set foot in a mall or retail store. We live in a tiny town which is maybe part of the reason though I just love the whole hunting for a bargain thing!

• Reply tinajo December 21, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Oh wow – I´m not sure I´d even remember, I can be such a scatterbrain sometimes! :-D

• Reply Ashley December 21, 2011 at 3:09 pm

What a wonderful idea! So many times I read blogs and see something that I love but never have a clue as to where it’s come from!

Most of the things in my house are from Flea Markets/Thrift stores, Local businesses, and pottery places!

• Reply Alaina @ Live Creating Yourself December 21, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Holly, thank you so much! I received great feedback from readers on this, so I’m happy to see people liked it. Glad it was helpful!

Have a good one!

Alaina

• Reply jennifer December 21, 2011 at 3:20 pm

This is a wonderful idea she has… people want to know! The majority of my things in my home are vintage pieces i restore from thrift stores, ikea, and homegoods! gotta love the look for less :)

• Reply Gloria @ A Little Paint December 21, 2011 at 3:47 pm

I feel like I need to steal this IMMEDIATELY. I’m positive most of my things would say Craigslist and Overstock!

• Reply Jessica December 21, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Great layout idea…and helpful too!

• Reply Helen December 21, 2011 at 4:42 pm

I like second hand stores and those that carry products made in the US ….maybe even handmade!

• Reply Christina December 21, 2011 at 4:55 pm

For me it’d be almost entirely inherited from family, with a bit of thrift store and a healthy dose of IKEA. Slowly but surely collecting pieces of higher quality! :)

• Reply Marilyn December 21, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Lots of Ikea in here and things from people’s trash that my dad helped me rework and fix-up. Free is the best! I feel like I can really take design risks with up-cycled items.

• Reply Malin December 21, 2011 at 6:07 pm

It’s also smart if you tag your pics in such a personal way because people can’t steal and republish them.

• Reply Bonnie McCarthy December 21, 2011 at 6:30 pm

This is a brilliant idea and really adds value to the posts! I think my favorite things in the house have a story behind them of how, when and where we found them! Even if it was on the side of the road! Score!

• Reply Igor December 21, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Quite a nice idea indeed! So easy to go after one piece once spotted on her blog!

• Reply Merle December 21, 2011 at 6:44 pm

I’d remember the most! Flea markt finds and thrifted treasures are more than 90%!

• Reply Laura Gaskill December 21, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Oh yes, I love it when bloggers let us in on the sources for things in their homes – as you said, even when specific items are no longer available, it helps remind me of shops to check out the next time I am looking for something new.

My “tags” would be…Etsy & Big Cartel shops, Ikea, Crate & Barrel, West Elm, Anthropologie, vintage/revamped yard sale finds, Room & Board, Amazon (loads of books!), ABC Home, handmade by friends, and inherited from my Grandparents. Fun to think about! xo Laura

• Reply JULIE December 21, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Mine would so be an ODE TO IKEA!

• Reply merlin513 December 21, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I’d say 85% of my things are flea market & thrift, 6% ebay, 5% Anthropologie/Urban Outfitters, 2% from the original artists & 2% from Wal-Mart.

I’m cheap but seem to have a good eye since everyone always gushes about my belongings. :D

• Reply Jay December 21, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I think I’m in love with this space. It’s gorgeous! and thanks for pointing out the name for that light gray. I’ve been swatching paints in gray to use in my soon to be studio and that seems like the absolute perfect color!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar December 21, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Alaina’s home is rocking. Even though her colour palettes are more pared back than mine (apart from that black wall in her office which I love!) I still admire the skill and style of her neutral hued spaces. Loved this post she did!

• Reply Lorrie December 22, 2011 at 12:34 am

I would say most of my decor comes from resale shops/thrift stores and Amazon. I do have many things from booth-type shows like at events in convention centers.

• Reply Saffron December 22, 2011 at 1:32 am

I love it too! It’s like a magazine : ) I’d like to try it to reveal my shopping habits before I redecorate. And can I just say, I love that photo of the grey lounge with the pink flowers. You have a lovely blog x

• Reply Angelia December 22, 2011 at 2:08 am

I am in the redesign process, so really looking at what I have, and what I need. I have a lot of things from family, yard/thrift pieces, and things we have made (I can never seem to find the right thing), I do have several IKEA shelves right now, leftover from closing my retail shop.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente December 22, 2011 at 2:45 am

Oh, so good! I always love hearing more details about interiors….and this is so helpful ( especially the paint colors) Just looking around my living room; I would say….etsy, anthropologie, thrift/yard sales, west elm and hand me downs ( oh, and LOTS of antique white paint) :)
    xoxo
    Melis
    ps merry christmas darlin!!

• Reply Rachel December 22, 2011 at 3:51 am

That is really helpful and a great idea! Thanks for sharing…

• Reply caro December 22, 2011 at 10:17 am

I love “Impressionen Versand”, Habitat and a good friend of mine is the owner of a furniture store here in Koblenz. And I love my findings from fleamarkets.

• Reply ellen December 22, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Good idea – I’d like it just to remember where everything came from and the paint colors/numbers for later repairs. I’ve got a lot of inherited pieces, supplemented by things I purchased years ago with newer bits from Pottery Barn. My accessories are a blend of new, inherited, thrift store and crafted by me. Lots of things work together – I think the worst possible look is “I just bought all this stuff at the same time from the same store”!

• Reply Cheryl R December 22, 2011 at 8:38 pm

I would love to find out how to do this. Most of my tags would be:
    hand-me-down
    handmade
    Pottery Barn
    Room and Board
    came with the house
    vintage

• Reply Becky {Pretty Dandy homewares} December 22, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Great idea for a post and really interesting and useful to see where everything was purchased. As I look around my living room now I can see an ebay purchase, fleamarket, second hand store, auction, things I bought on my travels, Cox & Cox, Habitat, a Nottingham shop call Le Chien et Moi, Pretty Dandy and one or two bits from Ikea. I love vintage but I’m still surprised by just how much in here is sourced from vintage sellers!

• Reply Ana Sofia Santos December 27, 2011 at 1:21 am

This is such a great idea! Me too, I love when bloggers tell us where they got their stuff. It is a way of knowing other stores and also of knowing where we can find nice things that match our style.
    I haven’t been much of a shopper lately, due to financial issues, but I have a wish list!
    Most of my stuff comes from AREA, IKEA, D106 and Formicasa. I have quite a list of stores that I love, but honestly don’t have the budget.

• Reply Tania December 29, 2011 at 2:51 am

I love to see sources too, not necessarily to run out & shop but because it is inspiring to see beautifully decorated homes with items which are attainable and affordable.

My home would have quite a few west elm items since they are one of the few modern furniture retailers which will ship for a reasonable cost to Maui (no dressers, beds or couches but they will do chairs, end tables, desks, etc.) and there are no local modern furniture stores on Maui so I usually have to take the internet. I also like all modern and all modern lighting (both online stores owned by CSN).

I buy many smaller items and art on etsy, tabletop items/furniture from a local home accessories/furniture store in Kihei called Nest (very beach cottage, shabby chic) and vintage furniture from a consignment store La Jolie Maison (unique and regency items). My kitchen is filled with things from Amazon and sometimes Williams Sonoma.

• Reply L January 2, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Great idea!

It’s very hard to read the pink tags with white font though.