Where Does Your Stuff Come From?

I found this ultra helpful and know that you will too… I love that blogger Alaina Kaczmarski tells her readers exactly where things are from her home by tagging as many items as she can in her home tour photos.

home sources

home sources

home sources

home sources

While Alaina openly admits that most of these items are no longer available, I still see value in doing this (using mini tags to list resources) on home tour photos because it’s just so darn nice to know where stuff is from. Especially paint colors. Great idea, Alaina.

So tell me, if you were to tag a room in your home what would your things reveal as to where you shop most frequently? Pottery Barn? IKEA? Anthropologie? West Elm? Homegoods? Flea markets/thrift shops? Inherited from family and friends? Yard sales? Think about it – could be quite interesting to learn more about your shopping habits!

(images: Alaina Kaczmarski)

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips on December 21, 2011

1. Chedva commented
    December 21st, 2011 at 2:47pm

I loved the way Alaina did this too. My tags would have a nice amount of Ikea, vintage shops, and some cheap “student furniture” that we’re replacing step by step, plus a lot of accessories from Etsy and craft fairs.
    Chedva´s last blog post ..Blogging and Design: A Week With Design Bloggers

2. Mary commented
    December 21st, 2011 at 3:00pm

My tags would all be either, thrift store garage sale, or given to me by friend. I hardly ever set foot in a mall or retail store. We live in a tiny town which is maybe part of the reason though I just love the whole hunting for a bargain thing!

3. tinajo commented
    December 21st, 2011 at 3:02pm

Oh wow – I´m not sure I´d even remember, I can be such a scatterbrain sometimes! :-D
    tinajo´s last blog post ..Turtle in da house!

4. Ashley commented
    December 21st, 2011 at 3:09pm

What a wonderful idea! So many times I read blogs and see something that I love but never have a clue as to where it’s come from!

Most of the things in my house are from Flea Markets/Thrift stores, Local businesses, and pottery places!

5. Alaina @ Live Creating Yourself commented
    December 21st, 2011 at 3:13pm

Holly, thank you so much! I received great feedback from readers on this, so I’m happy to see people liked it. Glad it was helpful!

Have a good one!

Alaina

6. jennifer commented
    December 21st, 2011 at 3:20pm

This is a wonderful idea she has… people want to know! The majority of my things in my home are vintage pieces i restore from thrift stores, ikea, and homegoods! gotta love the look for less :)
    jennifer´s last blog post ..create a dreamy outdoor oasis…

7. Gloria @ A Little Paint commented
    December 21st, 2011 at 3:47pm

I feel like I need to steal this IMMEDIATELY. I’m positive most of my things would say Craigslist and Overstock!
    Gloria @ A Little Paint´s last blog post ..Changing a Light Bulb

8. Jessica commented
    December 21st, 2011 at 4:15pm

Great layout idea…and helpful too!
    Jessica´s last blog post ..Photo Gift Tag + Painted Wrapping Paper

9. Helen commented
    December 21st, 2011 at 4:42pm

I like second hand stores and those that carry products made in the US ….maybe even handmade!
    Helen´s last blog post ..Sunny December

10. Christina commented
    December 21st, 2011 at 4:55pm

For me it’d be almost entirely inherited from family, with a bit of thrift store and a healthy dose of IKEA. Slowly but surely collecting pieces of higher quality! :)
    Christina´s last blog post ..Design Voice Survey #8

11. Marilyn commented
    December 21st, 2011 at 5:50pm

Lots of Ikea in here and things from people’s trash that my dad helped me rework and fix-up. Free is the best! I feel like I can really take design risks with up-cycled items.

12. Malin commented
    December 21st, 2011 at 6:07pm

It’s also smart if you tag your pics in such a personal way because people can’t steal and republish them.
    Malin´s last blog post ..Saturday

13. Bonnie McCarthy commented
    December 21st, 2011 at 6:30pm

This is a brilliant idea and really adds value to the posts! I think my favorite things in the house have a story behind them of how, when and where we found them! Even if it was on the side of the road! Score!
    Bonnie McCarthy´s last blog post ..Deck The Halls: Holiday Lights

14. Igor commented
    December 21st, 2011 at 6:38pm

Quite a nice idea indeed! So easy to go after one piece once spotted on her blog!

15. Merle commented
    December 21st, 2011 at 6:44pm

I’d remember the most! Flea markt finds and thrifted treasures are more than 90%!
    Merle´s last blog post ..Srabblemagneten DIY

16. Laura Gaskill commented
    December 21st, 2011 at 7:08pm

Oh yes, I love it when bloggers let us in on the sources for things in their homes – as you said, even when specific items are no longer available, it helps remind me of shops to check out the next time I am looking for something new.

My “tags” would be…Etsy & Big Cartel shops, Ikea, Crate & Barrel, West Elm, Anthropologie, vintage/revamped yard sale finds, Room & Board, Amazon (loads of books!), ABC Home, handmade by friends, and inherited from my Grandparents. Fun to think about! xo Laura
    Laura Gaskill´s last blog post ..Comfort & Cheer In The Country

17. JULIE commented
    December 21st, 2011 at 8:12pm

Mine would so be an ODE TO IKEA!

18. merlin513 commented
    December 21st, 2011 at 8:32pm

I’d say 85% of my things are flea market & thrift, 6% ebay, 5% Anthropologie/Urban Outfitters, 2% from the original artists & 2% from Wal-Mart.

I’m cheap but seem to have a good eye since everyone always gushes about my belongings. :D

19. Jay commented
    December 21st, 2011 at 8:55pm

I think I’m in love with this space. It’s gorgeous! and thanks for pointing out the name for that light gray. I’ve been swatching paints in gray to use in my soon to be studio and that seems like the absolute perfect color!
    Jay´s last blog post ..On Brainstorming

20. Will @ Bright.Bazaar commented
    December 21st, 2011 at 11:29pm

Alaina’s home is rocking. Even though her colour palettes are more pared back than mine (apart from that black wall in her office which I love!) I still admire the skill and style of her neutral hued spaces. Loved this post she did!
    Will @ Bright.Bazaar´s last blog post ..IKEA’S Festive & Textural Living Room

21. Lorrie commented
    December 22nd, 2011 at 12:34am

I would say most of my decor comes from resale shops/thrift stores and Amazon. I do have many things from booth-type shows like at events in convention centers.
    Lorrie´s last blog post ..Look on the Bright Side Day

22. Saffron commented
    December 22nd, 2011 at 1:32am

I love it too! It’s like a magazine : ) I’d like to try it to reveal my shopping habits before I redecorate. And can I just say, I love that photo of the grey lounge with the pink flowers. You have a lovely blog x
    Saffron´s last blog post ..Make bracelets for your friends!

23. Angelia commented
    December 22nd, 2011 at 2:08am

I am in the redesign process, so really looking at what I have, and what I need. I have a lot of things from family, yard/thrift pieces, and things we have made (I can never seem to find the right thing), I do have several IKEA shelves right now, leftover from closing my retail shop.
    Angelia´s last blog post ..Holiday Decorations

24. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    December 22nd, 2011 at 2:45am

Oh, so good! I always love hearing more details about interiors….and this is so helpful ( especially the paint colors) Just looking around my living room; I would say….etsy, anthropologie, thrift/yard sales, west elm and hand me downs ( oh, and LOTS of antique white paint) :)
    xoxo
    Melis
    ps merry christmas darlin!!
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..2 of a kind

25. Rachel commented
    December 22nd, 2011 at 3:51am

That is really helpful and a great idea! Thanks for sharing…

26. caro commented
    December 22nd, 2011 at 10:17am

I love “Impressionen Versand”, Habitat and a good friend of mine is the owner of a furniture store here in Koblenz. And I love my findings from fleamarkets.
    caro´s last blog post ..Türchen Nummer 22

27. ellen commented
    December 22nd, 2011 at 3:12pm

Good idea – I’d like it just to remember where everything came from and the paint colors/numbers for later repairs. I’ve got a lot of inherited pieces, supplemented by things I purchased years ago with newer bits from Pottery Barn. My accessories are a blend of new, inherited, thrift store and crafted by me. Lots of things work together – I think the worst possible look is “I just bought all this stuff at the same time from the same store”!
    ellen´s last blog post ..Snow Day

28. Cheryl R commented
    December 22nd, 2011 at 8:38pm

I would love to find out how to do this. Most of my tags would be:
    hand-me-down
    handmade
    Pottery Barn
    Room and Board
    came with the house
    vintage
    Cheryl R´s last blog post ..Happy Fall – Leaf Special Effects

29. Becky {Pretty Dandy homewares} commented
    December 22nd, 2011 at 9:55pm

Great idea for a post and really interesting and useful to see where everything was purchased. As I look around my living room now I can see an ebay purchase, fleamarket, second hand store, auction, things I bought on my travels, Cox & Cox, Habitat, a Nottingham shop call Le Chien et Moi, Pretty Dandy and one or two bits from Ikea. I love vintage but I’m still surprised by just how much in here is sourced from vintage sellers!

30. Ana Sofia Santos commented
    December 27th, 2011 at 1:21am

This is such a great idea! Me too, I love when bloggers tell us where they got their stuff. It is a way of knowing other stores and also of knowing where we can find nice things that match our style.
    I haven’t been much of a shopper lately, due to financial issues, but I have a wish list!
    Most of my stuff comes from AREA, IKEA, D106 and Formicasa. I have quite a list of stores that I love, but honestly don’t have the budget.

31. Tania commented
    December 29th, 2011 at 2:51am

I love to see sources too, not necessarily to run out & shop but because it is inspiring to see beautifully decorated homes with items which are attainable and affordable.

My home would have quite a few west elm items since they are one of the few modern furniture retailers which will ship for a reasonable cost to Maui (no dressers, beds or couches but they will do chairs, end tables, desks, etc.) and there are no local modern furniture stores on Maui so I usually have to take the internet. I also like all modern and all modern lighting (both online stores owned by CSN).

I buy many smaller items and art on etsy, tabletop items/furniture from a local home accessories/furniture store in Kihei called Nest (very beach cottage, shabby chic) and vintage furniture from a consignment store La Jolie Maison (unique and regency items). My kitchen is filled with things from Amazon and sometimes Williams Sonoma.
    Tania´s last blog post ..{Almost} Wordless Wednesday…

32. L commented
    January 2nd, 2012 at 7:06pm

Great idea!

It’s very hard to read the pink tags with white font though.