Clever DIY Display Unit + Lovely Dutch Home

There is this amazing space in 101 Woonideeen magazine, a decorating mag out of the Netherlands, that I’ve been dying to share with you ever since I first saw it in their November issue. I love the space for many reasons but primarily, I’m nuts about this amazing DIY wall unit that the homeowner, Tinta, made for her dining area. There is even a DIY tutorial in the issue as well as on their website (in Dutch). I think it’s the absolute best shelving unit ever because of all of the little nooks and the sheer quirkiness of it. I also really like how she has styled it, so many fun things to look at.

Clever DIY Display Unit + Lovely Dutch Home

Sorry the photo below isn’t super clear, it’s all I could find online and the resolution isn’t so hot but at least you can see the display unit that I’m so ga ga over.

Clever DIY Display Unit + Lovely Dutch Home

Do you spot the fun kid’s book on the shelf, There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly? from Chronicle Books? I do, and it’s such a lovely book I highly suggest picking one up for decorative purposes AND to read! I own one and love it.

Clever DIY Display Unit + Lovely Dutch Home

I really like the mood board above that Tinta shared in the issue showing the overall palette for her apartment design. Such a fresh and inspiring mix of color, texture and pattern. She is also a fan of Tara Hogan’s work over at INK + WIT which made me so happy since Tara is a friend of mine. Tara’s work is more and more popular in Europe, I see it in magazines from time to time and hear people talk about INK + WIT whenever they speak of stationery that they love from the US. Go, Tara!

Clever DIY Display Unit + Lovely Dutch Home

Here’s the shelf again, I know, but I’ve added an image from the living room which is laid out so beautifully I think. Ah, what a sweet home.

By the way, I’ll be in their next issue for February so if you get this magazine look for me! :)

(photography: ernie enkelaar)

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips on January 04, 2012

1. Mara Rae commented
    January 4th, 2012 at 8:42pm

Thanks for the tip on the children’s book. It looks amazing! I think I’m going to have to get that one for my son. :)
    Mara Rae´s last blog post ..Writing Wednesdays: Killing Your Darlings. Literally.

2. Rebecca @ beautiful square feet commented
    January 4th, 2012 at 8:48pm

Wow – those colours go so well together too!
    Rebecca @ beautiful square feet´s last blog post ..Beautiful Square Feet is 1!

3. Lily commented
    January 4th, 2012 at 9:11pm

It is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

4. Nicole commented
    January 4th, 2012 at 11:53pm

Oh my goodness, the vase on the shelf is exactly the same one that I recently found at my father house in the cellar. The vase belonged to my grandmother and now stands on a bedside table! LOVE it! The Post is just beautiful, Holly!
    Nicole´s last blog post ..In meinem Kopf geht es bunt und lustig zu

5. Judy commented
    January 5th, 2012 at 10:20am

They’re so fun!!! :D So cuteeee!! I never think to do like this, but now I really desire to have a try!!!
    Judy´s last blog post ..Magic Underwater World

6. Rebecca commented
    January 5th, 2012 at 5:17pm

I think you are well within you rights to go gaga over this unit, it is so quirky and individual! Each little nook is like a mini display space for each picture or object, love it!x
    Rebecca´s last blog post ..Etsy…Japanese Masking Tapes by yur1kub0

7. Kate commented
    January 6th, 2012 at 10:42am

Very special, very abstract, very imaginative, I like this style! !

8. Bonnie McCarthy commented
    January 7th, 2012 at 12:17am

Beautiful post & color palette! So pale & clean -seems just right to kick off the new year! And still more owls! They have been hot for a while now, any indication of the trend waning? Just curious!
    Bonnie McCarthy´s last blog post ..Collecting: Stamps

9. MoodKids - Maike commented
    January 7th, 2012 at 9:24am

Yes I’m a big 101-fan too! Every month a happy moment with the new magazine. The blog is fun too!

10. Tara Hogan commented
    January 25th, 2012 at 2:22am

Thank you Holy for the credit : ) Love this post and 101 Woonideeen magazine!

11. Cristina commented
    January 27th, 2012 at 5:25pm

This shelving in some way reminds me of this one:
    (even if this is for the bathroom)

?
    Cristina´s last blog post ..Come ti cucino l’insalata..