Objects

Statement Pieces at Spruce Home

January 9, 2012

We all need a little fun in our life and nothing says FUN more than this quirky sofa from Spruce Home in Austin. It’s a one-of-kind upholstered piece that they are selling on, get this, Etsy! I really love it in all of its big bad boldness! If I went into a home and spotted this baby in the living room, I’d definitely credit the homeowner for having a great sense of humor and style.

Statement Pieces at Spruce Home

Sure, it’s large and in charge but the beauty of it is that you can place it against a muddy gray matte wall and add two big canary yellow ceramic lamps on either side in order to enhance its beauty without competing with it. It’s such a statement piece, this sofa is art! Here are some more exciting pieces from Spruce to get you in the mood to add color and pattern to your home, perhaps for Spring? These surely put me in the Spring mood and if you don’t need a piece of furniture, Spruce carries cushions, lamps and a new how-to video so you can learn exactly how the pros upholster furniture.

Statement Pieces at Spruce Home

Statement Pieces at Spruce Home

Statement Pieces at Spruce HomeChairs are the best way to ease into bold or bright patterns and solids if you don’t ordinary use them on pieces of furniture with the exception of throw pillows, of course. A seat cover in a loud pattern or wild and crazy slipper chair next to a “normal” beige or white sofa can really add personality to a room without committing to something as large and expensive as a brightly patterned sofa. If you want to learn how to reupholster things in your own home, Spruce owner Amanda Brown has a new video where she’ll show you how to set up your work space, share what you’ll need to get started and then how to actually strip furniture and upholster them with tight seats and backs. The video is available here.

Do you have any statement pieces in your home? If so, what are they? Where are they? Any links to share with photos of your statement pieces? Please share those links below!

(images: spruce home)

17 Comments

• Reply Igor January 9, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I do have a beloved statement piece – and it is a piece of art. A very big and framed arty illustration by my favorite German illustrator Olaf Hajek. I got it at a gallery and love its bold colours and folk art inspired motives. It adds colour and serves as a great focal point. Due to my apartment’s size (very small) it is placed on my sideboard in my bedroom and leaned on the wall. I love to emphasize the art piece by adding colourful fresh flowers or stacks of books in front of it.

• Reply decor8 January 9, 2012 at 7:13 pm

@Igor – You own work from Olaf, wow, you are very lucky as he is amazing. How are you Igor???

For those of you who do not know him, here’s a link to his site: Olaf Hajek

• Reply tinajo January 9, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I actually think I´m lacking in that departement, I should really find some fab statement piece that takes my breath away..! :-D

• Reply decor8 January 9, 2012 at 7:14 pm

@Tinajo – Yes, go for it. What do you have in mind? Art? A mirror? A piece of furniture? Wallpaper? A rug?

• Reply Paula Pierce January 9, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Years ago my mother in law insisted on giving me this gigantic lemon yellow ginger jar lamp that she had purchased in the 60’s. At the time I thought it was hideous and it quietly “went away”. Boy, I sure do wish I had it now. It would be soooooo cool!

• Reply Rona January 9, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Hi Holly & belated Happy New Year!

I love the flowery sofas you’ve featured from Spruce Home…especially the last design, which they call ‘Dragon Slayer’! The embroidered fabric which they’ve used to upholster it is beautiful!

We have a statement sofa in our front room covered in gorgeous stripey fabric from Designers Guild called cordellina pebble from their morskaya collection.

• Reply Bonnie McCarthy January 9, 2012 at 7:36 pm

I think these pieces are positively joyful! Sort of makes you happy just looking at them! That said, prints are such a personal choice -I think finding the perfect print is like falling in love -or at least a good crush!

• Reply sandyjoy January 9, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I have a bucket chair that I took from my grandparents house when they moved into a smaller apartment. It’s a funny gold color and about 40 or 50 years old, so I had a slipcover made with a fun purple geometric design. Definitely a statement piece!

• Reply Rebecca January 9, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Wow these pieces really pack a punch! I would love to have an armchair upholstered in some crazy bold fabric as a statement piece in a room but that sofa totally owns the room! I think the fact they’re selling it on etsy is as bold a move as the fabric!x

• Reply Keely January 9, 2012 at 7:58 pm

I’m in love with that sofa in the first pic-GORGEOUS!

• Reply Sara January 9, 2012 at 8:04 pm

LOVE all the bold pieces! I really think I need a statement chair :). My hubby is going to Austin this week…I will have to try to convince him to try to fit in a stop at Spruce!

• Reply lebenslustiger January 9, 2012 at 8:21 pm

We own a reddish grand piano – it has been following us even over the ocean Nobody wanted it, when we tried to sell it before moving…grand pianos have to be BLACK…well – it’s definitely..’room taking’!

• Reply Jessica January 9, 2012 at 10:37 pm

My fave statement piece is a long (5 ft) red bench in our entry. I wanted more than just a little tuffet to sit on, esp since we never have just one person over at a time! I bought it at pier one, it’s made to be a Flat screen tv stand, so it has tons of storage for shoes, leashes, etc! And what’s more warm and welcoming than red? It makes me smile every time I come home.

• Reply Zane January 9, 2012 at 10:56 pm

beautiful pieces

• Reply Lindsey @ arkadian belle woods January 10, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I am dying! This furniture is so gorgeous! The fabric is so vibrant!

• Reply Becky - Pretty Dandy January 10, 2012 at 11:01 pm

LOVE to see a big bold pattern like these.

My home is FULL of statements, I’m slightly addicted to them! In our living room for example it is nearly entirely mid-century design with a large print gold/taupe abstract floral wallpaper (on one wall), a circular sofa and a great g-plan coffee table. I find the key to having lots of statements like this is neutral backdrops (white walls, mushroom colour carpet) and to keep tones matching. Loving every piece individually also helps a lot!

Becky
    x

• Reply Steph May 17, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Love these statement pieces! Prints are so in at the moment but I think many homeowners are reluctant to indulge for fear of making the room cramped.

Like Becky (above) says though, neutral backdrops with statement furniture can have a high impact!