Color Inspiration

Pops of Pink

January 27, 2012

Hello friends, it is Leslie here with January’s edition of Color Me Pretty. How are you? I hope that you are doing good and I’m happy to be with you for another year on decor8 with my column. I hope you enjoy and look forward to my color stories and craft ideas each month. For January, I find myself thinking about bright fluorescent pink during these long rainy days in the Pacific Northwest. It’s definitely a trend, I see it everywhere at the moment – especially in fashion, on blogs and over at Pinterest!

Pops of Pink

Instead of mixing bright pink with the typical winter grey I thought it would be fun to use Kraft paper brown along with some softer shades of pink and a light blue. It’s fun to try something new.

Pops of Pink

Pops of Pink

Pops of Pink

Color cravings can be very fleeting in creative projects and I have a hard time playing in the typical colors of the season. Do you know what I mean? I am like many who tend to want what we can’t have! In the winter I long for summer colors to contrast the dark days and in the summer I daydream about snowy white, pale grey and chocolate browns. I guess it comes back to texture, as any color can look great applied to the right material. Warm cream cable knits in winter and then the same creamy color on linens and leather in summer. These days anything goes if you love it and it helps you feel creative.

Pops of Pink

Pops of Pink

I pulled out my watercolors one evening last week and had fun creating triangle and striped patterns in the shape of hearts. I thought they would make a nice card to top off some simply wrapped presents. You can do this with any bright paper. Just make yourself a little template to make things go faster.

Pops of Pink

Pops of Pink

Another home craft project I have been thinking about and finally got around to making is this little dreamcatcher. I liked the notion of something catching your good dreams. With a new year upon us it is nice to do something to remind us of what we are dreaming about for ourselves and for others. I wrapped a metal hoop from Michael’s with some cream washi tape. I then tied a crochet doily with some string to the hoop. Finally, instead of feathers I decided to use beads, which I threaded on string and then tied to the hoop. After making one, I now have ideas on how I want to make dozens more! So watch out I may have more featured in the column next month!

Pops of Pink

I hope you have had a wonderful start to 2012. I look forward to seeing you back here next month. Take good care! – xo, Leslie.

(styling/images: leslie shewring

You Might Also Like

• Reply Renee - Luminoso Blu January 27, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Leslie – another absolutely beautiful colour story. You are inspirational. I particularly love the felt stack.

• Reply Jolanda January 27, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Wow. beautiful pictures and lots of inspiration, I love it :-)

• Reply tinajo January 27, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I love your pics as always! :-)

• Reply Rebecca January 27, 2012 at 12:43 pm

This is all so beautifully styled! And I am a brown paper fan, it goes with any colour and always looks good! Love the watercolour hearts v cute x

• Reply Lise January 27, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Hello, I discover your beautiful blog! Come to visit me!
    have a good day ;-)

• Reply Karena January 27, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Leslie great post I adore your heart art and it is perfect for packages!

Art by Karena

• Reply Rachel @ Cosy Home January 27, 2012 at 1:28 pm

You definitely need some good pops of colour during the dull and dark winter months and bright pink is a great colour for a dark day! Love all your ideas especially the hearts (great for making your own wall art designs) and butterfly.

• Reply Strictly Pink Stuff January 27, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Great use of pink, some really nice ideas.

• Reply Tabitha (From Single to Married) January 27, 2012 at 2:59 pm

oh – that pink butterfly is too cute!

• Reply Dulci Dantas January 27, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Well, I’m in Brazil, Sao Paulo and it is rainning a lot too! I think this pink will add some color on this day, absolutely gray! Thanks a lot! Beautiful!

• Reply Hideminy January 27, 2012 at 3:14 pm

So pretty!!
    Pink makes me happy!

• Reply Jessica January 27, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Those painted heart tags are so fun! Love pink against the kraft paper

• Reply ileana January 27, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Those heart-wrapped books are so cute!

• Reply Michele January 27, 2012 at 5:26 pm

FINALLY! I have been eagerly awaiting your newest color story! You would laugh if you could see how excited I get when I discover a new post from you, Leslie. I always look forward to your posts! Once again– great ideasl, inspiring, visually delightful! Thank you! Love it.

• Reply Katia January 27, 2012 at 5:31 pm

I love it love it love it my dear Leslie! :)
    I’m a “PINK color fan” and I like every element of it!
    I think the new (neon pink, strong colors..) and old (doily, trims, brown paper..) mix is perfect indeed and also easy to reproduce in personal style!
    Thank you very much!! :D

• Reply Samantha January 27, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Love, love, LOVE your stuff, Leslie!

• Reply Bonnie McCarthy January 27, 2012 at 7:07 pm

I absolutely love hot pink this time of year -and this year especially! I was in Gap the other day, and a woman stopped me to ask if she should boldly buy a hot pink item, “I usually go with neutrals, like black and gray,” she said. We both agreed the color just seemed fresh & she bought it!

• Reply Elena January 27, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Great pictures as always. So inspirational.

• Reply Erica January 27, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Oh, it’s so beautiful! I absolutely love it!

• Reply Lisa January 27, 2012 at 8:12 pm

A very good point about how texture can make any color seasonal. Also, the dream catcher is so stylish! Can’t wait to see your next column…

• Reply Holly (The Apiarist) January 27, 2012 at 8:34 pm

I have also been having fun experimenting with different shades of pink. Dusty rose is probably my favorite, but a bright joyful pink is swiftly closing the margin between first and second place! Thank you so much for the renewed inspiration.

• Reply Eve January 27, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Love the watercolor!

• Reply Kristin Johnsen January 27, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Wow – I really liked the hearts – how inventive with simple patterns and pretty watercolors! And the butterfly – nice! Thanks for sharing, Leslie ….another great set of colorful ideas.

• Reply haniela January 27, 2012 at 10:24 pm

I can’t even tell you how excited I’m about making the dreamcatcher
    It is so perfect, thank you for making it and for sharing it with us, I absolutely love it. Yay.

• Reply Julie the Alkaline Sister January 27, 2012 at 10:27 pm

You are so right about bright colours in the winter, I’m often even more attracted to it once Christmas is gone and we experience duller days til the arrival of spring. I use vivid colours in flowers around the house so that I can enjoy an ever changing pallet of brightness that I never tire of before it needs to be tossed! Thanks for the very clever creative ideas that I’ll tuck in my back pocket for after all my de-cluttering is complete and I have time to play!

• Reply Kendyll January 27, 2012 at 10:41 pm

I love brown paper crafts! And those water color hearts are absolutely adorable. I bet they’d be cute mounted, mated and framed, too. Thanks for the great post (:

• Reply Karen January 28, 2012 at 12:16 am

All these little pops of color in all the various mediums just brightened my day. I am definitely in the mood for some hot pink now!

• Reply linden January 28, 2012 at 12:48 am

I cannot tell you how many times I see your posts and I feel immediately uplifted and inspired. Your ideas are so beautiful…yet so simple and doable. Your little valentine watercolor doodle is just so pretty! The dream catcher…I just admire things created with vintage linens. Thank you for an upliftment to the day…

• Reply Mary Jo January 28, 2012 at 1:02 am

I so look forward to Leslie’s monthly Color Me Pretty column. I think it is my fav!
    Mary Jo

• Reply Kimberly Jones January 28, 2012 at 3:21 am

What a fun and festive color story! I love pink, so this is a treat! I always look forward to your column and enjoy your creative styling and color combos! They always make me smile!

• Reply Kate @ Songs Kate Sang January 28, 2012 at 3:44 am

Beautiful colors!

• Reply Jane January 28, 2012 at 3:47 am

Just divine, Leslie. As usual. I cherish your posts here. I think I might just pull out my watercolours now – thanks for the prompt! J x

• Reply Federica January 28, 2012 at 8:10 am

Love pink, just love it!
    My blog is also very pink…hope you will visit me and see how much of your inspiration I had. Thank you!

• Reply Tracy G. January 28, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Lovely colors and inspirations!

• Reply mary ann January 28, 2012 at 6:24 pm

leslie your keen eye for color, design, and photography really make these COLOR ME PRETTY posts stand out so boldly in blogland. they are something v. special. i would love to see you featured in one of the suitcase series uppercase books. we need you in PRINT.

• Reply Fatou January 28, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I love the dream catcher! I am tempted to give that one a try :-). Beautiful post as always!

• Reply Francine January 28, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Lovely post! Actually the first of yours I’ve read, I’ll visit regularly now. I love, love, love the stack of books! I tried to find “The Vintage Tea Party Book” but was unsuccessful. Thanks for making a gloomy day have a pink glow!

• Reply Laura {The Embellished Nest} January 28, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Leslie, you and Holly should combine all the style me pretty posts in to a book. I would love to have all this inspiration on paper on my bookshelf. They are lovely!

• Reply Punctuation Mark January 29, 2012 at 12:25 am

love those watercolor hearts… hope you’re having a great weekend!

• Reply Fenny setiawan January 29, 2012 at 2:09 am

Love the pink, the water color hearts are adorable and so much more inspirations of color me pretty this month. I really want to try to make the dream catcher my self. gorgeous!

• Reply kat cameron January 29, 2012 at 4:21 am

this is my fav colour combo! totally love it! :)

• Reply Pretty Dandy Homewares January 29, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Love the watercolour hearts, just gorgeous!

• Reply Danette January 29, 2012 at 5:12 pm

My biggest girl and I are going to be tackling those dream catchers and the heart triangles very soon!!

Love it.

• Reply Zane January 29, 2012 at 8:49 pm

beautiful bits and pieces, adore them

• Reply Tina Ramchandani January 29, 2012 at 10:16 pm

The watercolored hearts look fab!

• Reply Will @ Bright.Bazaar January 29, 2012 at 10:59 pm

As always, just beautiful. x

• Reply liebelu January 29, 2012 at 11:47 pm

• Reply Jaclyn January 30, 2012 at 9:24 am

you brightened my day with this post Leslie!

• Reply Jennie Fynn January 30, 2012 at 3:09 pm

This is lovely, so girly. Pink is one of my favourite decorating colours and I’ m not a toddler. The fabric butterfly on the felt stack is just wonderful. Makes me want to get out my fabric remnants and have a go.

Looking forward to the next installments.

• Reply Janice January 30, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Such a refeshing palette for January.

And I love that textured butterfly–did you make that? it is lovely.

• Reply Candi January 30, 2012 at 9:29 pm

A splash of pink for me is a must! Thank you for the beautiful eye candy!

• Reply Jaclyn Bishop January 30, 2012 at 11:11 pm

i love teaming brown paper with color. great post!

• Reply Chipper Things January 30, 2012 at 11:38 pm

I want to make a dream catcher AND watercolor some more cards now.

• Reply Tracey Fisher January 31, 2012 at 2:28 am

Leslie – love the painted hearts – your style is amazing. And I am jealous of that yummy felt pile – I am down to a few scraps left from a trip to Purl – time to order more. Thank you for the wonderful inspiration, as always.

• Reply Tegan January 31, 2012 at 5:32 am

Gorgeous coloured tulips.. :)

• Reply Danielle January 31, 2012 at 7:17 pm

If anyone is interested in instructions for how to make one of Abigail Brown’s fabulous fabric butterflies, we published them in Handcrafted Jewelry magazine (Interweave, 2011).

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente February 1, 2012 at 12:46 am

Oh, Leslie….just so beautiful and inspiring! I LOVE that heart and dreamcatcher you made…and am still loving fluro pink in all shapes and sizes. This is so beautiful hun….thanks for brightening this january day!

• Reply Joanne @ February 1, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Leslie, your posts are so inspirational. Really like the pink/turquoise combination – its full of vibrancy.

• Reply marla February 3, 2012 at 2:43 pm

So stunning & I just pinned everywhere :)

• Reply theaxx February 4, 2012 at 1:00 am

unbelievably gorgeous as usual leslie. I am surprised and delighted each an every time i read your column. thank you for the endless inspiration!!

• Reply Iris February 4, 2012 at 6:49 am

OMG I love the hearts. I love those for cute valentine gifts. Thanks for the inspiration. xx

• Reply Fani February 4, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Beautiful pictures!!!

• Reply Lauren May 5, 2012 at 12:32 am

Wow I didn’t expect the pink to look so stunning against brown paper! Beautiful work.

• Reply Amy Lou January 22, 2013 at 6:19 am

just wanted to let you know I featured you on my blog! Thanks for your inspirations! <3 Amy Lou