Amsterdam + Highlights From My Next Book

Hello everyone! I’ve been missing in action, I know, but I had such a great week and wanted to share some highlights with you in case you will be visiting Amsterdam soon. I am working with Debi Treloar on my next book, so we have been in The Hague and Amsterdam the past few days on shoots and have had a great time. A snowstorm left me stranded in a town called Haarlem tonight but I found a HEMA around the corner from my hotel so I’m all smiles because I can hit it tomorrow before heading back home to Germany. :) There is a silver lining inside of every cloud so they say, right?

Amsterdam Highlights

Never tire of the homes along the canals…

Amsterdam Highlights

A little highlight from my next book…

Amsterdam Highlights

Spotted my current obsession in Sukha.

Amsterdam Highlights

Loved everything in this shop called Restored. I highly suggest shopping here!

Amsterdam Highlights

Amsterdam Highlights

Amsterdam Highlights

Our shoots have been so much fun and I’m really loving all of the photos we’re producing together for the new book. While in Amsterdam I also got to spend a day with my friend, stylist extraordinaire, Stephanie Rammeloo and we she took me to some great shops (listed at the bottom) and to an amazing community dining experience that I absolutely loved at an Italian deli and kitchen called il Mattarello owned by an amazing guy and his wife and business partner. He cooked for us and then sat down and ate at our table. The entire experience was so inspirational. I got to meet a TV presenter from the Netherlands who also is a journalist writing about food, Stephanie’s business partner and friend, and a bunch of other very nice people that I would have never met if I didn’t try out this dining experience. If you are ever in Amsterdam you have to sign up for one of their private dinners – it’s the best thing! The address is on the bottom of this post.

Amsterdam Highlights

Debi at work on our book… She’s brilliant and a joy to work with. I’m so honored to be working with her again, we’ll go to Paris next and then London and the countryside there, followed by NYC in March and then she’ll come over to Germany to shoot my house for the book as well. How neat is that!? I’m pretty excited about it.

AMSTERDAM SUGGESTIONS from this trip from me to you:

eat:

• Il Mattarello, Dinner “Theme” Nights, info [at] mattarello [dot] nl, Westerstraat 77, 1015LW Amsterdam
  • Bar Moustache, amazing food and always call for a reservation, the steak was amazing, Utrechtsestraat 141, 1017 VM Amsterdam

shop:

• Athenaeum Boekhandel, Awesome international magazine shop where I got the latest copies of UPPERCASE magazine, Flow and Donna Hay.  Spui 14-16, 1012XA Amsterdam
  • Options! is an amazing store, especially if you love a Danish-meets-Dutch-marries-Japanese experience. I couldn’t leave this place without dropping some cash. I was particularly inspired by their pastels combined with neon colors with splashes of metallic bronze. It was a gorgeous color palette that I can’t stop thinking about. Damrak 49, 1012 Amsterdam.
  • Restored is another great store you can’t miss. Loaded with local and international independently designed and handmade merchandise. I loved the jewelry there from jonghlabel, copper lighting by David Derksen, necklaces from Fleur Goedendorp, necklaces and bags from Halona, Maartje Van den Noort fabric pendants and quilts and Mae Engelgeer blankets in bold neons. Haarlemmerdijk 39, 1013 KA Amsterdam.
  • Sukha – What a great “green” shop! I loved this place, I didn’t want to leave. It’s retail heaven with lots of fashion and things for the home combined. What a gorgeously curated shop! It’s near Restored so you can visit them both easily. Haarlemmerstraat 110, 1013 EW Amsterdam.

At the magazine kiosk grab these Dutch magazines:

• Flow - Creative, craft, lovely.
  • vtwonen – Gorgeous interiors and trends, best mag ever.
  • 101 Woonideeen (I’m in this month’s issue!). – DIY and decorating
  • Delicious – Gorgeous foodie mag.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. I’ll be back for a full week of blogging beginning on Monday. Loads of love to you! xo

(images: holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in Books + Magazines, travel on February 03, 2012

1. Ingrid Jansen commented
    February 3rd, 2012 at 11:01pm

Yeah you’ve seen some of the best places in the Haarlemmerstraat.
    Sukha is amazing isn’t it. They have the best windows too. Last time we visited Amsterdam we had lunch at their neighbours in that small & narrow restaurant Mondo Mediterraneo.(Loved the fresh food and kitchen right in de middle) Enjoy!
    Ingrid Jansen´s last blog post ..dress code

2. alex wijnen commented
    February 3rd, 2012 at 11:05pm

Thanks for sharing – heading to A’dam in just four short weeks so your timing is perfect! Will definitely plan to swing by some of the shops you mentioned (hoping it’ll be a little less arctic during my trip ;)

3. Ría commented
    February 3rd, 2012 at 11:12pm

Thanks for all the recommendations! The pictures are beautiful!

Ría´s last blog post ..Victorio y Lucchino, MBFW Madrid

4. desiree - vosgesparis commented
    February 3rd, 2012 at 11:57pm

The street Sukha is won price for best street in the Netherlands this week.. I am hanging out in that area almost every Saturday as it is one of my favorites Really enjoy to see what your highlights were and I should try out Il matterello once ;) sounds like fun!
    Enjoy the rest of your trip and I hope you will have a train soon.. its terrible how half of Holland is blocked after 10 centimeters of snow!

x desiree
    desiree – vosgesparis´s last blog post ..Behind the scenes with Paulina Arcklin {And a brand new website to inspire you}

5. Karena commented
    February 4th, 2012 at 1:07am

So exciting!! You hit some really great spots. Can’t wait for your next book!

xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena
    Karena´s last blog post ..Love Feast 2012 and Giveaway

6. Tina Ramchandani commented
    February 4th, 2012 at 1:40am

Lovely pics. Can’t wait for the next book to come out!
    Tina Ramchandani´s last blog post ..A Wall of Tea Cups {plus} links of the week

7. Ann commented
    February 4th, 2012 at 3:19am

The picture with te vase of roses – simple beauty. Will your book be available in Australia?
    Ann´s last blog post ..All you can eat

8. Zoe commented
    February 4th, 2012 at 3:47am

gosh that makes me want to go to Amsterdam right this minute – its top of the ‘Places to Go’ list now!! Thank you for all the beautiful photos and tips

9. leaca commented
    February 4th, 2012 at 8:11am

I did not know you were doing another book. exciting.
    leaca´s last blog post ..he thinks….

10. Sabine commented
    February 4th, 2012 at 8:34am

Oh thank you so much – I’m planning to visit Amsterdam in September and look forward to go to all those wonderful places you showed us. Happy Weekend! Sabine
    Sabine´s last blog post ..Pink gegen Grau

11. Monica Lee commented
    February 4th, 2012 at 12:58pm

So nice to see you are working on another book, how exciting for you!
    Monica Lee´s last blog post ..Almost there! A few interviews have been conducted….

12. Malwina commented
    February 4th, 2012 at 2:15pm

So curious about your next book!
    By the way, will you still be in Haarlem tomorrow? Let me know if you’d like to meet up & have a chat!

13. Nuit commented
    February 4th, 2012 at 4:16pm

oh gosh holly, all of these images are a dream!! xo

14. Lizzie commented
    February 4th, 2012 at 4:46pm

Excited about your next book!
    Lizzie´s last blog post ..Katies Rose Cottage

15. kristin johnsen commented
    February 4th, 2012 at 5:51pm

Holly – thanks so much for including the web link to HEMA – I’d never heard of it before, but their web site is so fascinating – love how all the animation works in it – so inventive!!! I’m going to include it in my blog that has nothing to do with design, but I like cool things! I’m coming up on my first anniversary of my blog, thanks all to you and Leslie!!! Thanks for sharing great info of Amsterdam! Kristin
    kristin johnsen´s last blog post ..Getting lost in the zen-ness of drawing

16. Igor commented
    February 4th, 2012 at 6:46pm

Very exciting and promising, Holly!
    Igor´s last blog post ..Ideas For A Happy Weekend

17. Holly (The Apiarist) commented
    February 4th, 2012 at 6:54pm

I absolutely love this collection of photos from your travels! As an owner of your first book, I cannot wait to see what you have in store or us next. Thank you for sharing!
    Holly (The Apiarist)´s last blog post ..Raspberry Cordial

18. Ciara commented
    February 4th, 2012 at 8:28pm

Went to Amsterdam as a child and really enjoyed it but never would have thought there’s be such a wealth of lovely places to explore! Will definitely be putting it on the to do list again after seeing all your gorgeous pics!
    Ciara´s last blog post ..Creative Ceremony Backdrops…Hot Trend for 2012

19. Zane commented
    February 4th, 2012 at 9:59pm

beautiful photos, love them
    Zane´s last blog post ..Don’t think, just let it out

20. Helen Mills commented
    February 4th, 2012 at 10:29pm

Oh Amsterdam…very jealous and looking forward to your next book…

21. rashmi commented
    February 5th, 2012 at 4:53am

Great pics! Good luck with your book.

22. christine commented
    February 5th, 2012 at 6:27am

Love Amsterdam…want to go when its not Queen’s Day though. Last time I went, made the mistake of doing that and I can just say what an eye opener. LOL
    christine´s last blog post ..Scentsy UK – Spring | Summer Catalogue 2012 *teaser*

23. Fenny setiawan commented
    February 5th, 2012 at 10:29am

Lovely sharing Holly, I will definitely visit those places when I ever traveled to Amsterdam. Also have a great weekend.
    Fenny setiawan´s last blog post ..Happy Weekend

24. Louise commented
    February 5th, 2012 at 4:13pm

Ohh, wow, I like the shops you mentioned. I actually never been to ‘Options!’ and I’m looking forward to go! And I’d love to visit the restaurants/bars!!
    Louise´s last blog post ..Sister Winter

25. the chronic utilitarian commented
    February 5th, 2012 at 4:42pm

hema looks like it would be worth being stranded for.
    happy Sunday!

26. Nathalie commented
    February 5th, 2012 at 5:42pm

Sukha, Restored, Hema, Options etc… Gotta love ‘em :) Looks like you’re having a great time. Good luck with your new book!
    Nathalie´s last blog post ..Macarons opbergdoosjes

27. Maaike commented
    February 5th, 2012 at 8:11pm

Hi Holly, so nice to see my home city Amsterdam through your eyes! Lovely spots you found, I will add them to my list of favorites and must-sees when I go back in Spring. And yes, Haarlem is not a bad place to strand! Hope you are happily home again now though…

Love
    Maaike

28. Baking Soda commented
    February 5th, 2012 at 10:25pm

Delurking to say there’s nothing wrong with Haarlem! It’s my hometown and it’s becoming more sassy every year (been away for more than 20 years so a visit is a bit of homecoming and exploring at the same time haha)

29. dialogue with space commented
    February 6th, 2012 at 1:40am

LOVE Amsterdam
    Cannot wait for your next book to come out !Will definitely promote it on my blog :)
    Enjoy this amazing city
    xoxox

30. Helene commented
    February 6th, 2012 at 11:59am

congrats on the new book!!! i’m so excited for you. it will definitely be on my wishlist. love your current book soooooooooooooooooo much! good luck with everything. you don’t need an assistant, do you?!?! ;-)
    Helene´s last blog post ..{because i love to…}

31. MoodKids - Maike commented
    February 6th, 2012 at 1:41pm

looking forward to your next book, first was already amazing!
    MoodKids – Maike´s last blog post ..DIY – Just wanna say I love You

32. Ericafpc (Erica Cottrill) commented
    February 6th, 2012 at 3:09pm

Good luck on your book!

33. Daniel commented
    February 6th, 2012 at 3:20pm

Hi, what a lovely set of pictures and thanks for the info, really love Amsterdam – have a great day!
    Daniel´s last blog post ..Scandinavian Four-Room Apartment

34. Nicola Holden commented
    February 7th, 2012 at 11:10am

I love the picture of the little vase of flowers with the wallpaper in the background. Do you know what that wallpaper is? Will have to get your book when it comes out.

35. Deepa commented
    February 8th, 2012 at 11:22pm

Haarlemmerstraat is a great little street! You picked the right place to go for sure. I love Sukha too, I bought a giant chunky knit beanbag there a few months back. And VTWonen, I read even if I barely understand it. Gorgeous, and good for practicing my Dutch!
    Deepa´s last blog post ..First snow

36. Bonnie McCarthy commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 3:32am

Looking forward to the new book! Hurray!! I also love that you included shops & places to see in Amsterdam -no plans to go right now, but I will tuck into a file for future! :)
    Bonnie McCarthy´s last blog post ..Simple Giving: Flower Arranging with Tape!