Books + Magazines, Travel

Amsterdam + Highlights From My Next Book

February 3, 2012

Hello everyone! I’ve been missing in action, I know, but I had such a great week and wanted to share some highlights with you in case you will be visiting Amsterdam soon. I am working with Debi Treloar on my next book, so we have been in The Hague and Amsterdam the past few days on shoots and have had a great time. A snowstorm left me stranded in a town called Haarlem tonight but I found a HEMA around the corner from my hotel so I’m all smiles because I can hit it tomorrow before heading back home to Germany. :) There is a silver lining inside of every cloud so they say, right?

Amsterdam + Highlights From My Next Book

Never tire of the homes along the canals…

Amsterdam + Highlights From My Next Book

A little highlight from my next book…

Amsterdam + Highlights From My Next Book

Spotted my current obsession in Sukha.

Amsterdam + Highlights From My Next Book

Loved everything in this shop called Restored. I highly suggest shopping here!

Amsterdam + Highlights From My Next Book

Amsterdam + Highlights From My Next Book

Amsterdam + Highlights From My Next Book

Our shoots have been so much fun and I’m really loving all of the photos we’re producing together for the new book. While in Amsterdam I also got to spend a day with my friend, stylist extraordinaire, Stephanie Rammeloo and we she took me to some great shops (listed at the bottom) and to an amazing community dining experience that I absolutely loved at an Italian deli and kitchen called il Mattarello owned by an amazing guy and his wife and business partner. He cooked for us and then sat down and ate at our table. The entire experience was so inspirational. I got to meet a TV presenter from the Netherlands who also is a journalist writing about food, Stephanie’s business partner and friend, and a bunch of other very nice people that I would have never met if I didn’t try out this dining experience. If you are ever in Amsterdam you have to sign up for one of their private dinners – it’s the best thing! The address is on the bottom of this post.

Amsterdam + Highlights From My Next Book

Debi at work on our book… She’s brilliant and a joy to work with. I’m so honored to be working with her again, we’ll go to Paris next and then London and the countryside there, followed by NYC in March and then she’ll come over to Germany to shoot my house for the book as well. How neat is that!? I’m pretty excited about it.

AMSTERDAM SUGGESTIONS from this trip from me to you:

• Il Mattarello, Dinner “Theme” Nights, info [at] mattarello [dot] nl, Westerstraat 77, 1015LW Amsterdam
  • Bar Moustache, amazing food and always call for a reservation, the steak was amazing, Utrechtsestraat 141, 1017 VM Amsterdam

• Athenaeum Boekhandel, Awesome international magazine shop where I got the latest copies of UPPERCASE magazine, Flow and Donna Hay.  Spui 14-16, 1012XA Amsterdam
  • Options! is an amazing store, especially if you love a Danish-meets-Dutch-marries-Japanese experience. I couldn’t leave this place without dropping some cash. I was particularly inspired by their pastels combined with neon colors with splashes of metallic bronze. It was a gorgeous color palette that I can’t stop thinking about. Damrak 49, 1012 Amsterdam.
  • Restored is another great store you can’t miss. Loaded with local and international independently designed and handmade merchandise. I loved the jewelry there from jonghlabel, copper lighting by David Derksen, necklaces from Fleur Goedendorp, necklaces and bags from Halona, Maartje Van den Noort fabric pendants and quilts and Mae Engelgeer blankets in bold neons. Haarlemmerdijk 39, 1013 KA Amsterdam.
  • Sukha – What a great “green” shop! I loved this place, I didn’t want to leave. It’s retail heaven with lots of fashion and things for the home combined. What a gorgeously curated shop! It’s near Restored so you can visit them both easily. Haarlemmerstraat 110, 1013 EW Amsterdam.

At the magazine kiosk grab these Dutch magazines:

• Flow – Creative, craft, lovely.
  • vtwonen – Gorgeous interiors and trends, best mag ever.
  • 101 Woonideeen (I’m in this month’s issue!). – DIY and decorating
  • Delicious – Gorgeous foodie mag.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. I’ll be back for a full week of blogging beginning on Monday. Loads of love to you! xo

(images: holly becker for decor8)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Ingrid Jansen February 3, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Yeah you’ve seen some of the best places in the Haarlemmerstraat.
    Sukha is amazing isn’t it. They have the best windows too. Last time we visited Amsterdam we had lunch at their neighbours in that small & narrow restaurant Mondo Mediterraneo.(Loved the fresh food and kitchen right in de middle) Enjoy!

• Reply alex wijnen February 3, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Thanks for sharing – heading to A’dam in just four short weeks so your timing is perfect! Will definitely plan to swing by some of the shops you mentioned (hoping it’ll be a little less arctic during my trip ;)

• Reply Ría February 3, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Thanks for all the recommendations! The pictures are beautiful!

• Reply desiree - vosgesparis February 3, 2012 at 11:57 pm

The street Sukha is won price for best street in the Netherlands this week.. I am hanging out in that area almost every Saturday as it is one of my favorites Really enjoy to see what your highlights were and I should try out Il matterello once ;) sounds like fun!
    Enjoy the rest of your trip and I hope you will have a train soon.. its terrible how half of Holland is blocked after 10 centimeters of snow!

x desiree

• Reply Karena February 4, 2012 at 1:07 am

So exciting!! You hit some really great spots. Can’t wait for your next book!

Art by Karena

• Reply Tina Ramchandani February 4, 2012 at 1:40 am

Lovely pics. Can’t wait for the next book to come out!

• Reply Ann February 4, 2012 at 3:19 am

The picture with te vase of roses – simple beauty. Will your book be available in Australia?

• Reply Zoe February 4, 2012 at 3:47 am

gosh that makes me want to go to Amsterdam right this minute – its top of the ‘Places to Go’ list now!! Thank you for all the beautiful photos and tips

• Reply leaca February 4, 2012 at 8:11 am

I did not know you were doing another book. exciting.

• Reply Sabine February 4, 2012 at 8:34 am

Oh thank you so much – I’m planning to visit Amsterdam in September and look forward to go to all those wonderful places you showed us. Happy Weekend! Sabine

• Reply Monica Lee February 4, 2012 at 12:58 pm

So nice to see you are working on another book, how exciting for you!

• Reply Malwina February 4, 2012 at 2:15 pm

So curious about your next book!
    By the way, will you still be in Haarlem tomorrow? Let me know if you’d like to meet up & have a chat!

• Reply Nuit February 4, 2012 at 4:16 pm

oh gosh holly, all of these images are a dream!! xo

• Reply Lizzie February 4, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Excited about your next book!

• Reply kristin johnsen February 4, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Holly – thanks so much for including the web link to HEMA – I’d never heard of it before, but their web site is so fascinating – love how all the animation works in it – so inventive!!! I’m going to include it in my blog that has nothing to do with design, but I like cool things! I’m coming up on my first anniversary of my blog, thanks all to you and Leslie!!! Thanks for sharing great info of Amsterdam! Kristin

• Reply Igor February 4, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Very exciting and promising, Holly!

• Reply Holly (The Apiarist) February 4, 2012 at 6:54 pm

I absolutely love this collection of photos from your travels! As an owner of your first book, I cannot wait to see what you have in store or us next. Thank you for sharing!

• Reply Ciara February 4, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Went to Amsterdam as a child and really enjoyed it but never would have thought there’s be such a wealth of lovely places to explore! Will definitely be putting it on the to do list again after seeing all your gorgeous pics!

• Reply Zane February 4, 2012 at 9:59 pm

beautiful photos, love them

• Reply Helen Mills February 4, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Oh Amsterdam…very jealous and looking forward to your next book…

• Reply rashmi February 5, 2012 at 4:53 am

Great pics! Good luck with your book.

• Reply christine February 5, 2012 at 6:27 am

Love Amsterdam…want to go when its not Queen’s Day though. Last time I went, made the mistake of doing that and I can just say what an eye opener. LOL

• Reply Fenny setiawan February 5, 2012 at 10:29 am

Lovely sharing Holly, I will definitely visit those places when I ever traveled to Amsterdam. Also have a great weekend.

• Reply Louise February 5, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Ohh, wow, I like the shops you mentioned. I actually never been to ‘Options!’ and I’m looking forward to go! And I’d love to visit the restaurants/bars!!

• Reply the chronic utilitarian February 5, 2012 at 4:42 pm

hema looks like it would be worth being stranded for.
    happy Sunday!

• Reply Nathalie February 5, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Sukha, Restored, Hema, Options etc… Gotta love ’em :) Looks like you’re having a great time. Good luck with your new book!

• Reply Maaike February 5, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Hi Holly, so nice to see my home city Amsterdam through your eyes! Lovely spots you found, I will add them to my list of favorites and must-sees when I go back in Spring. And yes, Haarlem is not a bad place to strand! Hope you are happily home again now though…

• Reply Baking Soda February 5, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Delurking to say there’s nothing wrong with Haarlem! It’s my hometown and it’s becoming more sassy every year (been away for more than 20 years so a visit is a bit of homecoming and exploring at the same time haha)

• Reply dialogue with space February 6, 2012 at 1:40 am

LOVE Amsterdam
    Cannot wait for your next book to come out !Will definitely promote it on my blog :)
    Enjoy this amazing city

• Reply Helene February 6, 2012 at 11:59 am

congrats on the new book!!! i’m so excited for you. it will definitely be on my wishlist. love your current book soooooooooooooooooo much! good luck with everything. you don’t need an assistant, do you?!?! ;-)

• Reply MoodKids - Maike February 6, 2012 at 1:41 pm

looking forward to your next book, first was already amazing!

• Reply Ericafpc (Erica Cottrill) February 6, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Good luck on your book!

• Reply Daniel February 6, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Hi, what a lovely set of pictures and thanks for the info, really love Amsterdam – have a great day!

• Reply Nicola Holden February 7, 2012 at 11:10 am

I love the picture of the little vase of flowers with the wallpaper in the background. Do you know what that wallpaper is? Will have to get your book when it comes out.

• Reply Deepa February 8, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Haarlemmerstraat is a great little street! You picked the right place to go for sure. I love Sukha too, I bought a giant chunky knit beanbag there a few months back. And VTWonen, I read even if I barely understand it. Gorgeous, and good for practicing my Dutch!

• Reply Bonnie McCarthy February 9, 2012 at 3:32 am

Looking forward to the new book! Hurray!! I also love that you included shops & places to see in Amsterdam -no plans to go right now, but I will tuck into a file for future! :)