Decorating Tips

Darling Pink Girl’s Bedroom

February 7, 2012

I rarely feature kid’s spaces but this one is so pink and adorable that I couldn’t resist when the Sissy + Marley team sent it over to me today. They are a fab NYC-based design firm who specializes in children’s spaces. How cute is this???

Darling Pink Girls Bedroom

Darling Pink Girls Bedroom

Darling Pink Girls Bedroom

Darling Pink Girls Bedroom

Darling Pink Girls Bedroom

It’s quite spare for a kid’s room, I know, but I’m sure their little client Ava changed that the moment the photography crew left. :) Speaking on kid’s rooms and decorating, here is some advice from me from a recent interview from the Little Party Goers site. Perhaps some of my advice below will inspire those of you who are parents. :)

LPG: What makes your approach to decorating children’s rooms so unique?

HOLLY: I am not decorating as much as styling as I have no time for private clients right now so my styling work is mainly for books and commercial work. My approach to decorating a child’s space though, is that it really needs to reflect their taste and interests and there needs to be a place for everything – hair bands, dolls, cars, crayons – all need a bin or box or something to store it. Growing up, I had a place for everything so cleaning up my room was always fun for me since I liked arranging things as they were, stepping back to view it clean, then feeling a sense of accomplishment. I loved lining up my dolls perfectly on top of my toy box, for example or neatly folding all of my barbie clothes or putting them back in the Barbie closet on little pink hangers. I took care of everything that I owned. Ideally, you teach your child to respect others and themselves but also material objects through setting an example as a parent so if you help them to organize their room and show them how to maintain it and explain and show why maintaining it benefits them, it won’t be so hard for your child to want to be organized, too. My mother would often come into my bedroom and help me clean up and make it fun – she’d play a song and we’d have to clean it all up by the time the song was over in order to “win”. She didn’t always help me, but on days when she noticed I wasn’t motivated, she would come in with her usual high energy and enthusiasm and turn cleaning up into some kind of magical, fun game. After I was finished, I could then go outside to play or she’d take me to the beach or I could watch television or something. It made me happy as a child to have a neat bedroom too, I enjoyed that.

(images: sissy+marley)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Artplay by Vivian Hawker February 7, 2012 at 6:29 pm

This room is beautiful. I love the simplicity, the rug and accessories. I have a little girl and I’m not into themed rooms at all (my daughter’s room has a floor to ceiling window so we went bold with chocolate walls, white furniture, white bedding and slight pink accents). A room that can easily transform from a small child’s room to before you know it a teen’s room. I love it!

• Reply Paula Pierce February 7, 2012 at 7:11 pm

I really like the pink artwork display. Sometimes its hard convince my kids that something other than cartoon characters and princesses would be pretty on their walls, but I have found if I put something together that looks nice, they decide they like it after all!

• Reply Chris February 7, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I have only one thing to say…awwwww

• Reply Lisa Mende Design February 7, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Beautiful little girl’s room! Love the furniture and the mirrors!

• Reply Lindsey @ arkadian belle woods February 7, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Young or old you can’t go wrong with PINK! This room is gorgeous! It’s perfect for a classy little princess and even for the sophisticated lady! Love it!

• Reply Joanne Palmisano February 7, 2012 at 8:51 pm

This truly is darling — I love the clean lines and pattern of the rug. I also love the six pictures above the desk, fabulous work!

• Reply Jule February 7, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Really lovely and cute!

• Reply Laura February 7, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Love this room. It doesn’t have that cluttered, over-dressed feel.
    Has anyone seen these rugs in Australia?

• Reply Live February 7, 2012 at 9:59 pm

So sweet and pure, love it!

• Reply Renee February 7, 2012 at 11:28 pm

It’s totally gorgeous! I think it works because of the simplicity that everyone above has mentioned. I am in the process of setting up a girls nursery for my next baby and I have avoided pink like the plague (because it is so overdone for baby girls) but this really makes it look pretty and sophisticated….

• Reply The Salvage Snob February 7, 2012 at 11:39 pm

What a beautiful rooom. Love the delicate color palate.

• Reply carrie February 7, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Wow… so clean and beautiful!

• Reply Jaclyn Bishop February 7, 2012 at 11:55 pm

i love how crisp and simply it is! so cute!

• Reply Jessica February 8, 2012 at 12:05 am

Love love love those bird houses!

• Reply Natasha Fatah February 8, 2012 at 12:08 am

This is so charming. I would have loved a room like this when I was a little girl. Oh who am I kidding? I’d love this room now. :)

• Reply AnnOnandOn February 8, 2012 at 12:18 am

I’m all for sparse bedrooms with a fantastic play room nearby.

• Reply Penelope@thirdroomstudio February 8, 2012 at 1:12 am

So sophisticated and pretty, take away some toys and add a bigger bed and I’d be very happy to sleep here! I particularly like the simple mobile, very gentle and subtle.

• Reply My Little Fabric February 8, 2012 at 2:05 am

Awww So sweet, i love it!

• Reply Susan aka SuZeFashion February 8, 2012 at 2:49 am

What a very nice room! I love the mix of pink and white, sweet and sophisticated at the same time! The geometric patterns on the pouf and rug add a nice contemporary touch.

• Reply Sierra February 8, 2012 at 4:41 am

Can I have those mirrors even if I’m way too old to be called a girl??

• Reply christine February 8, 2012 at 6:37 am

Those pink prints are GORGEOUS.

• Reply Brooke H February 8, 2012 at 7:54 am

LOVE this room!

Quick question, where is the pink pouf from? I’ve had a hard time finding one that isn’t the typical stitching, and I love the scaling effect on this one.

• Reply diana February 8, 2012 at 9:13 am

had to giggle reading your story about folding barbie clothes…i see a little Holly now before my minds eye sorting and folding away…My girls love to play “barbie shop” , displaying all shoes by colour etc.

The space above is gorgeous, with beautiful objects too (those mirrors!) still, personally, i prefer a somewhat less grown up space for kids, a bit more relaxed…i guess i like a bit of clutter ;)

• Reply diana February 8, 2012 at 9:19 am

…ah, correction to my comment above: looking at the pictures again i realize it is not so much that i prefer more clutter, it’s more that i like to see a small style break here and there. But like you already wrote: Ava is probably going to take care of that ;)!

• Reply Casa e Cose February 8, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Love the birdcages and the pink puf – i could use one like that! Pink really brightens your day!

• Reply kasey @ girl in the gray house February 8, 2012 at 5:33 pm

gorgeous! i love the crispness of the pink and white together. so simple and sweet!

• Reply Bonnie McCarthy February 9, 2012 at 3:22 am

Super cute and girly without being too frou-frou! Love the birds & the gorgeous mirrors -something she won’t grow out of anytime soon! Great!

• Reply Dianne February 9, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Childrens rooms are the absolute funnest to design. I love the pink and white girls room. The pink is perfect for her to grow into… not to mention honeysuckle was named colour of the year. Awesome post!

• Reply Michelle February 9, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Love this! Could anyone tell me where the furniture (dresser and desk) are from? Many thanks!

• Reply Ellen Crimi-Trent February 16, 2012 at 10:36 pm

cute room- they really need one of my bird prints in it since its perfect for her little bird theme room!! Very cute room!!

• Reply Erin McCord April 21, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Can someone tell me where the pink desk-lamp is from? I want one.

• Reply Leslie October 22, 2012 at 7:53 am

Where is the dresser and desk from in Ava’s room? I love it!

• Reply anurag dubey July 6, 2013 at 4:04 pm