Darling Pink Girl’s Bedroom

I rarely feature kid’s spaces but this one is so pink and adorable that I couldn’t resist when the Sissy + Marley team sent it over to me today. They are a fab NYC-based design firm who specializes in children’s spaces. How cute is this???

Ava's room

Ava's room

Ava's room

Ava's room

Ava's room

It’s quite spare for a kid’s room, I know, but I’m sure their little client Ava changed that the moment the photography crew left. :) Speaking on kid’s rooms and decorating, here is some advice from me from a recent interview from the Little Party Goers site. Perhaps some of my advice below will inspire those of you who are parents. :)

LPG: What makes your approach to decorating children’s rooms so unique?

HOLLY: I am not decorating as much as styling as I have no time for private clients right now so my styling work is mainly for books and commercial work. My approach to decorating a child’s space though, is that it really needs to reflect their taste and interests and there needs to be a place for everything – hair bands, dolls, cars, crayons – all need a bin or box or something to store it. Growing up, I had a place for everything so cleaning up my room was always fun for me since I liked arranging things as they were, stepping back to view it clean, then feeling a sense of accomplishment. I loved lining up my dolls perfectly on top of my toy box, for example or neatly folding all of my barbie clothes or putting them back in the Barbie closet on little pink hangers. I took care of everything that I owned. Ideally, you teach your child to respect others and themselves but also material objects through setting an example as a parent so if you help them to organize their room and show them how to maintain it and explain and show why maintaining it benefits them, it won’t be so hard for your child to want to be organized, too. My mother would often come into my bedroom and help me clean up and make it fun – she’d play a song and we’d have to clean it all up by the time the song was over in order to “win”. She didn’t always help me, but on days when she noticed I wasn’t motivated, she would come in with her usual high energy and enthusiasm and turn cleaning up into some kind of magical, fun game. After I was finished, I could then go outside to play or she’d take me to the beach or I could watch television or something. It made me happy as a child to have a neat bedroom too, I enjoyed that.

(images: sissy+marley)

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips on February 07, 2012

1. Artplay by Vivian Hawker commented
    February 7th, 2012 at 6:29pm

This room is beautiful. I love the simplicity, the rug and accessories. I have a little girl and I’m not into themed rooms at all (my daughter’s room has a floor to ceiling window so we went bold with chocolate walls, white furniture, white bedding and slight pink accents). A room that can easily transform from a small child’s room to before you know it a teen’s room. I love it!
    Artplay by Vivian Hawker´s last blog post ..Original Custom Graphic "I LOVE YOU" Canvas Painting

2. Paula Pierce commented
    February 7th, 2012 at 7:11pm

I really like the pink artwork display. Sometimes its hard convince my kids that something other than cartoon characters and princesses would be pretty on their walls, but I have found if I put something together that looks nice, they decide they like it after all!
    Paula Pierce´s last blog post ..Free Printable Alphabet Pictures

3. Chris commented
    February 7th, 2012 at 8:32pm

I have only one thing to say…awwwww

4. Lisa Mende Design commented
    February 7th, 2012 at 8:38pm

Beautiful little girl’s room! Love the furniture and the mirrors!
    Lisa Mende Design´s last blog post ..Tuesday Totally Free Treat from Tory Burch….

5. Lindsey @ arkadian belle woods commented
    February 7th, 2012 at 8:44pm

Young or old you can’t go wrong with PINK! This room is gorgeous! It’s perfect for a classy little princess and even for the sophisticated lady! Love it!
    Lindsey @ arkadian belle woods´s last blog post ..A Fab Deal

6. Joanne Palmisano commented
    February 7th, 2012 at 8:51pm

This truly is darling — I love the clean lines and pattern of the rug. I also love the six pictures above the desk, fabulous work!

7. Jule commented
    February 7th, 2012 at 9:06pm

Really lovely and cute!

8. Laura commented
    February 7th, 2012 at 9:14pm

Love this room. It doesn’t have that cluttered, over-dressed feel.
    Has anyone seen these rugs in Australia?
    Laura´s last blog post ..What I’ve been cooking lately

9. Live commented
    February 7th, 2012 at 9:59pm

So sweet and pure, love it!
    Live´s last blog post ..Under the bell

10. Renee commented
    February 7th, 2012 at 11:28pm

It’s totally gorgeous! I think it works because of the simplicity that everyone above has mentioned. I am in the process of setting up a girls nursery for my next baby and I have avoided pink like the plague (because it is so overdone for baby girls) but this really makes it look pretty and sophisticated….
    Renee´s last blog post ..Shabby, no sew tassel tutorial

11. The Salvage Snob commented
    February 7th, 2012 at 11:39pm

What a beautiful rooom. Love the delicate color palate.

12. carrie commented
    February 7th, 2012 at 11:48pm

Wow… so clean and beautiful!
    carrie´s last blog post ..Art Journal… & Some Doodles…

13. Jaclyn Bishop commented
    February 7th, 2012 at 11:55pm

i love how crisp and simply it is! so cute!
    Jaclyn Bishop´s last blog post ..give+away time

14. Jessica commented
    February 8th, 2012 at 12:05am

Love love love those bird houses!
    Jessica´s last blog post ..Decor from the Shore: Wave

15. Natasha Fatah commented
    February 8th, 2012 at 12:08am

This is so charming. I would have loved a room like this when I was a little girl. Oh who am I kidding? I’d love this room now. :)

xoxo
    Natasha
    Natasha Fatah´s last blog post ..Wading into Fashionable Waters

16. AnnOnandOn commented
    February 8th, 2012 at 12:18am

I’m all for sparse bedrooms with a fantastic play room nearby.

17. Penelope@thirdroomstudio commented
    February 8th, 2012 at 1:12am

So sophisticated and pretty, take away some toys and add a bigger bed and I’d be very happy to sleep here! I particularly like the simple mobile, very gentle and subtle.
    Penelope@thirdroomstudio´s last blog post ..Children’s portraits

18. My Little Fabric commented
    February 8th, 2012 at 2:05am

Awww So sweet, i love it!
    My Little Fabric´s last blog post ..Rose tendre, Blanc Neige & Or

19. Susan aka SuZeFashion commented
    February 8th, 2012 at 2:49am

What a very nice room! I love the mix of pink and white, sweet and sophisticated at the same time! The geometric patterns on the pouf and rug add a nice contemporary touch.
    Susan aka SuZeFashion´s last blog post ..Marvelous Monday Inspiration – February Give Away

20. Sierra commented
    February 8th, 2012 at 4:41am

Can I have those mirrors even if I’m way too old to be called a girl??
    Sierra´s last blog post ..Wondering if it’s ok to mix metals when wearing jewelry?

21. christine commented
    February 8th, 2012 at 6:37am

Those pink prints are GORGEOUS.

22. Brooke H commented
    February 8th, 2012 at 7:54am

LOVE this room!

Quick question, where is the pink pouf from? I’ve had a hard time finding one that isn’t the typical stitching, and I love the scaling effect on this one.
    Brooke H´s last blog post ..My Blog Goes to College

23. diana commented
    February 8th, 2012 at 9:13am

had to giggle reading your story about folding barbie clothes…i see a little Holly now before my minds eye sorting and folding away…My girls love to play “barbie shop” , displaying all shoes by colour etc.

The space above is gorgeous, with beautiful objects too (those mirrors!) still, personally, i prefer a somewhat less grown up space for kids, a bit more relaxed…i guess i like a bit of clutter ;)

24. diana commented
    February 8th, 2012 at 9:19am

…ah, correction to my comment above: looking at the pictures again i realize it is not so much that i prefer more clutter, it’s more that i like to see a small style break here and there. But like you already wrote: Ava is probably going to take care of that ;)!

25. Casa e Cose commented
    February 8th, 2012 at 1:50pm

Love the birdcages and the pink puf – i could use one like that! Pink really brightens your day!

26. kasey @ girl in the gray house commented
    February 8th, 2012 at 5:33pm

gorgeous! i love the crispness of the pink and white together. so simple and sweet!

27. Bonnie McCarthy commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 3:22am

Super cute and girly without being too frou-frou! Love the birds & the gorgeous mirrors -something she won’t grow out of anytime soon! Great!
    Bonnie McCarthy´s last blog post ..Simple Giving: Flower Arranging with Tape!

28. Dianne commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 3:39pm

Childrens rooms are the absolute funnest to design. I love the pink and white girls room. The pink is perfect for her to grow into… not to mention honeysuckle was named colour of the year. Awesome post!

29. Michelle commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 9:09pm

Love this! Could anyone tell me where the furniture (dresser and desk) are from? Many thanks!

30. Ellen Crimi-Trent commented
    February 16th, 2012 at 10:36pm

cute room- they really need one of my bird prints in it since its perfect for her little bird theme room!! Very cute room!!
    Ellen Crimi-Trent´s last blog post ..Bonjour!

31. Erin McCord commented
    April 21st, 2012 at 5:48pm

Can someone tell me where the pink desk-lamp is from? I want one.

Thanks!

32. Leslie commented
    October 22nd, 2012 at 7:53am

Where is the dresser and desk from in Ava’s room? I love it!

33. anurag dubey commented