Decorating Tips

Loose Fit Sofa + Chair Covers For IKEA Furniture

February 9, 2012

For the past year or so, I’ve been completely smitten by the trend of loose-fit covers for sofas and chairs but it’s mostly being done by expensive furniture companies in Scandinavia, the Netherlands and Italy and I couldn’t seem to justify the expense.

Loose Fit Sofa + Chair Covers For IKEA Furniture

Lately, I’ve been trying to “save” my IKEA KARLSTAD sofa which is currently sitting lonely and sad in my storage room. I’ve been dying to make the time to actually make my own loose slip to cover it, but I never seem to make the time to actually do it plus it’s a big undertaking for someone who has never covered a sofa before – I’m guessing it would take me about 3 days of non-stop work and another week or two to source the fabric at an affordable price. While I love to make my own stuff when I can, I was thrilled to find out that Swedish company BEMZ, who ships all over the world, recently releases their own loose slips for IKEA furniture. I’m thrilled beyond words and plan to order one as soon as possible so my IKEA sofa can come out of storage and play with me again!

Loose Fit Sofa + Chair Covers For IKEA Furniture

Loose Fit Sofa + Chair Covers For IKEA Furniture

Loose Fit Sofa + Chair Covers For IKEA Furniture

Loose Fit Sofa + Chair Covers For IKEA Furniture

Loose Fit Sofa + Chair Covers For IKEA Furniture

This is my favorite one above…

You can also find some that fit more snugly if you love cleaner lines…

Loose Fit Sofa + Chair Covers For IKEA Furniture

What do you think, do you like this look?

(images: bemz)

You Might Also Like

53 Comments

• Reply Cristina | Positively Beauty February 9, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I bought a cover for my Karlstad chaise longue from Bemz, they’re very good! I like both looks…it’s fun to change your space with covers, isn’t it? Although my cats like fabric too much…

• Reply Ana February 9, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I love the feeling of the room, the color palette and those amazing prints. Thank you for sharing.

• Reply Juliette February 9, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Oh, I definitely love this look! We have more than enough Ikea stuff and a slipcover certainly helps to bide the time as we save and plot for a few replacement pieces. Our couch is especially tired looking.

• Reply Artplay by Vivian Hawker February 9, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I love the look. It’s casual but yet still sophisticated and says you can snuggle and get cozy on me (the slipcovered furniture that is)! My favorite is the all white couch and chair.

• Reply Emily February 9, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I love the look. But I can also hear my mother saying why on earth are your slipcovers too big?? Ha!

• Reply Johanna February 9, 2012 at 1:24 pm

This was a good and useful post! I’m planning to remodel my sofas and loose-fit covers would do the trick well. This would keep the loose and relax feeling. Thanks.

• Reply Mariella February 9, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I absolutely adore it! infact my dream couch is the ghost sofa by Italian company Gervasoni which is quite similar to the look above. Thanks Holly for letting me know about this!

• Reply Tina Ramchandani February 9, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I really like the “loose” slipcover look. Has a very comfortable/beachy feel.

• Reply Esther February 9, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Oh, I defenately love these companies. I ordered my new covers at Save my Sofa, they have new colours in every year and it’s a great way not to waist older furniture.
    Esther.

• Reply Curious Details February 9, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Love it all. Those slips (and the styling) are gorgeous.

• Reply Sarah Smutny February 9, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Thanks so much for the tip Holly!
    I really need one too:) It always looks crappy when you just cover it with a textile…

• Reply Zane February 9, 2012 at 2:47 pm

beautiful interior ideas

• Reply Jessica February 9, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Love this look…reminds me of a sea cottage

• Reply Karena February 9, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Oh I love, love it!! The gray on the daybed interests me!!

xoxo
    Karena

Art by Karena

• Reply Gosia February 9, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Linen slip-covers are so gorgeous! I, too, have been pinning a lot the look recently. It’s such a smart way to keep the lovely pieces of furniture around longer, and to reuse and recycle – the lifestyle that is here to stay. Thanks for adding more images to my Pinterest collection, as I dream of making my own slip-covers, too.

• Reply Phil February 9, 2012 at 4:48 pm

These are giving me some excellent ideas, and I especially liked … them all. I have a particular sofa in mind, and I also like the idea of hanging or placing in a small section, some fabric.

• Reply robin February 9, 2012 at 5:25 pm

I looked at BEMZ awhile back, but didn’t consider them to be all that affordable on my budget! My first real sewing project was slip-covering two couches a few years back when my husband and I were moving into a new loft and I knew we couldn’t afford new furniture as well! 5 years later one couch has been replaced by a Karlstad (bought for a steal off the set at a photo shoot!) and the other is in desperate need of new covers. I had done natural and with kids it gets dirty quick! I bought fabric 2 years ago and the couch is still coverred by a big painting tarp which I guess gives it the oversized look!

• Reply simone February 9, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Love me some slipcovers– anything that looks comfy, homey and chic…I’m in!

• Reply Laura Trevey February 9, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I really like the mixed matched chairs around the dining table – very cool!

• Reply Evelyn S. February 9, 2012 at 6:38 pm

i like it.. it would get dirty pretty fast.. but it looks great and gives like a relax vibe!

• Reply Jessica February 9, 2012 at 7:03 pm

love this look but am not willing to spend twice the price of the funiture for the slipcover!

• Reply Heather B February 9, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I’ve been a fan of Bemz for a while. I have a tullsta chair that is in serious need of a makeover. I’m partial to the linen covers, although I LOVE that they have Marimekko and Designer’s Guild. If only they went with my room…

• Reply Margarita Lorenzo February 9, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Nice, nice and nice, I am a big fan of loose covers myself, I was thinking of making some for my bed in linen, but as you, I never seem to get the time to get on with it, so will get some already made soon. Love the space as well, such a nice mix of whites and furniture isn’t?

• Reply Julián | sofas piel February 9, 2012 at 7:54 pm

The sofa with cover seems very comfortable and stylish, it looks like a sofa practice within the classroom environment where much help is the wooden floor that blends perfectly with the white fabric sofa.

• Reply Alexandra February 9, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Thought I was the only one who liked this, figured everyone else must think it looks sloppy, only problem is I hate really square furniture…I need to find some covers like these for my wing chairs.

• Reply Daniel - Let me be inspired February 9, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Hi, lovely pictures! Love the KARLSTAD sofa from Ikea – I love the furnitures with loose-fit covers so you can change when you like

• Reply Tinachicky February 9, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Love it! I should TOTALLY do that for my sofa! My dog loves to get on there when we leave and even though we put things on the sofa so he doesn’t do it, there are times when we forget. This would make it so much better and easier to clean as well.

Now, is there something like that for a recliner though?

• Reply Aude February 9, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I absolutely love it!! Thank you so much for sharing!

• Reply Olivia February 9, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I love it! Very, very nice. Thank you for sharing!

• Reply Penelope@thirdroomstudio February 9, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Oh, I love them! Although I don’t have Ikea lounges, they look like they might fit ours too – beautiful, and agreed, I love that white one. Thanks for the link!

• Reply Bonnie McCarthy February 9, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Sounds like a wonderful resource! Thanks for sharing & love the pics!

• Reply uschi36 February 9, 2012 at 9:55 pm

i think the covers are great but expensive. the klippan sofa is 169 euros in austria and the loose cover would be 339 euros … you see what i mean ?

of course the idea is great and i have another address for you:

the designer is a 16-year-old girl !!! there is an article in german:

kind regards, uschi

• Reply Sarah Baynes Sarna February 10, 2012 at 2:26 am

Great source Holly – thanks!

• Reply sue February 10, 2012 at 2:52 am

love, love, love… i was so desperately seeking a look like this when putting together my latest home and it’s soooooo incredibly hard to find loosely draped furnishings, especially in the UK (go figure!)… this is swoon worthy indeed… thanks so much for sharing!

• Reply Punctuation Mark February 10, 2012 at 5:39 am

I love it… when i lived in LA i wanted to do something very much like this… very cool!!!

• Reply Sari February 10, 2012 at 9:00 am

Oh i love this post! Got that sofa myself and love the loose-fit covers! Didn’t know them before this post so i’m very happy you shared it with us :) Love every single picture, especially the 6th with the sofa.

Thanks for sharing!
    Love, Sari

• Reply Rose February 10, 2012 at 10:34 am

The loose cover looks is so country and shabby chic. Extremely practical way of giving a seat/sofa a longer lifetime, in terms of re-upholstering. This company is actually very clever to take the Ikea Furniture and make loose covers that can be shipped. Seems they have captured a corner of a viable marker. Actually Holly, to make your own loose cover is really hectic. Getting the fit right can be very tricky.

The image of the divan and its cover takes me right back to my youth- we had a divan with a similar cover …. and … as a teenager, I could not stand it. it wasn’t trendy enough. Just goes to show.

• Reply Laura February 10, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Gorgeous palette. So pretty

• Reply emily February 11, 2012 at 4:35 am

brilliant. i think they are simple and elegant. thank you. great find!

• Reply Katja February 11, 2012 at 4:57 pm

I have Ikea furniture – an Ängby armchair and a Karlstad footstool, of which I have changed the looks several times with Bemz covers. The Bemz idea is great, and it is so easy to change the look of an interior with textiles. Loose covers for furniture makes it eaten easier. Have a look at my latest change of the footstool.

• Reply Vicki February 12, 2012 at 12:27 am

Beautiful book! I could picture spending hours in these rooms. Thanks for sharing it with us, Holly. xo

• Reply Kelly February 14, 2012 at 12:20 am

Hello Holly,

It is a great look, combines two favorite looks I love, casual with sophistication. I think the straight lines do it. Another thing about slipcovers, you can take them off and wash them, very practical.

And I have a sofa that could really do with one.

All the best, Kelly

• Reply Casa e Cose February 14, 2012 at 11:03 am

Like a true swede i know BENZ but i dont think they are cheap. Its cheaper to buy a new sofa at IKEA! But then again IKEA, for what reason i dont know, dont to the loose covers…yet

• Reply Kristin February 14, 2012 at 2:59 pm

I have the same sofa and it’s ruined as well… IKEA’s slipcovers sure don’t last long when your dog thinks the couch is her bed. I usually prefer a more tailored look, but I’m loving the covers that drape all the way to the floor!

• Reply Alison February 15, 2012 at 4:26 am

oooh, ahhh, the last photo – the metal cabinet on the back wall – they grey/green one. LOVE!!! I know, I was supposed to be looking at the slip covers, but that cabinet!

• Reply Landon @ The Gilded Stag February 15, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Love the elements of nature incorporated!

• Reply melissa February 27, 2012 at 2:33 pm

love those wall hangings! Where are they from?

• Reply Elfya March 4, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Oh! they are awesome – I have redressed my Ektorp 3 times over the past 10 years. I love how it gives my sofa and entire decor a completely different look every time! I also ordered a pillow case from them and loved the box it came in. They are a great company!

• Reply Christie at Bemz March 8, 2012 at 11:03 am

Thank you Holly for the lovely coverage and all the great words of support from your readers! Thanks everyone :)
    Christie at Bemz

• Reply Gillian Kalter April 16, 2012 at 11:22 pm

I see there are lots of kind comments for Bemz. I had a less pleasant experience with my Bemz covers for IKEA sofas. They were so close-fitting that it took me 45 mins following the instructions to put them on my two sofas and I was absolutely exhausted. No way can I take them off and regularly wash them, then put them on again. I can’t imagine what would happen after shrinkage. So my lovely pale blue covers bought for my new home stay hidden under blankets so they don’t get dirty! Bemz did offer to take them back and analyse why they were so tight but it would have meant spending several weeks with only the sofa bases to sit on. I was very disappointed. Next time I will make them myself!

• Reply Christie at Bemz April 18, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Hi Gillian!
    I was very sorry to read about your less than satisfactory experience. We strive to ensure our customers are satisfied with both the Bemz products and the Bemz shopping experience and would love to fix this for you. Please, I urge you to get back in touch with customer services who I am confident will ensure you end up completely satisfied.
    For your information, as cotton is a natural fibre, it does react differently when being processed, such as dyed and pre-washed. But you’ll be glad to know that our products are guaranteed for 3 years with our fabric supplier, so you may still be within that window. Also, just fyi, cotton does not have a lot of give whereas our Belgian Linen fabrics offer a little more leeway and are easier to put on.
    As I mentioned however, just get back in touch with us and we’ll sort this out for you. Thanks!
    Christie at Bemz

• Reply Zara Hilton April 8, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I love the idea of using something so simple to spruce up your home & it totally works!

I use blankets to add colour!

Zara

• Reply karen wiltson November 1, 2013 at 7:10 am

I have a large sofa and covered it with a beautiful wheat colored faux suede slipcover throw I purchased at walmart for $38.00. I decorated it with large pillows that match the slipcover and the room decor inexpensively. I am well pleased with the results.