Loose Fit Sofa + Chair Covers For IKEA Furniture

For the past year or so, I’ve been completely smitten by the trend of loose-fit covers for sofas and chairs but it’s mostly being done by expensive furniture companies in Scandinavia, the Netherlands and Italy and I couldn’t seem to justify the expense.

Loose fit from BEMZ

Lately, I’ve been trying to “save” my IKEA KARLSTAD sofa which is currently sitting lonely and sad in my storage room. I’ve been dying to make the time to actually make my own loose slip to cover it, but I never seem to make the time to actually do it plus it’s a big undertaking for someone who has never covered a sofa before – I’m guessing it would take me about 3 days of non-stop work and another week or two to source the fabric at an affordable price. While I love to make my own stuff when I can, I was thrilled to find out that Swedish company BEMZ, who ships all over the world, recently releases their own loose slips for IKEA furniture. I’m thrilled beyond words and plan to order one as soon as possible so my IKEA sofa can come out of storage and play with me again!

Loose fit from BEMZ

Loose fit from BEMZ

Loose fit from BEMZ

Loose fit from BEMZ

Loose fit from BEMZ

This is my favorite one above…

You can also find some that fit more snugly if you love cleaner lines…

Loose fit from BEMZ

What do you think, do you like this look?

(images: bemz)

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips on February 09, 2012

1. Cristina | Positively Beauty commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 1:06pm

I bought a cover for my Karlstad chaise longue from Bemz, they’re very good! I like both looks…it’s fun to change your space with covers, isn’t it? Although my cats like fabric too much…
    Cristina | Positively Beauty´s last blog post ..EST magazine issue 4

2. Ana commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 1:09pm

I love the feeling of the room, the color palette and those amazing prints. Thank you for sharing.
    Ana´s last blog post ..I tried

3. Juliette commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 1:16pm

Oh, I definitely love this look! We have more than enough Ikea stuff and a slipcover certainly helps to bide the time as we save and plot for a few replacement pieces. Our couch is especially tired looking.
    Juliette´s last blog post ..Washi tape clothespins

4. Artplay by Vivian Hawker commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 1:17pm

I love the look. It’s casual but yet still sophisticated and says you can snuggle and get cozy on me (the slipcovered furniture that is)! My favorite is the all white couch and chair.
    Artplay by Vivian Hawker´s last blog post ..Original Custom Graphic "I LOVE YOU" Canvas Painting

5. Emily commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 1:17pm

I love the look. But I can also hear my mother saying why on earth are your slipcovers too big?? Ha!
    Emily´s last blog post ..A Makeover and a Technical Glitch

6. Johanna commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 1:24pm

This was a good and useful post! I’m planning to remodel my sofas and loose-fit covers would do the trick well. This would keep the loose and relax feeling. Thanks.

7. Mariella commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 1:29pm

I absolutely adore it! infact my dream couch is the ghost sofa by Italian company Gervasoni which is quite similar to the look above. Thanks Holly for letting me know about this!

8. Tina Ramchandani commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 1:36pm

I really like the “loose” slipcover look. Has a very comfortable/beachy feel.
    Tina Ramchandani´s last blog post ..Black Crow Studios

9. Esther commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 2:01pm

Oh, I defenately love these companies. I ordered my new covers at Save my Sofa, they have new colours in every year and it’s a great way not to waist older furniture.
    Esther.
    Esther´s last blog post ..Een dagje vrij

10. Curious Details commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 2:10pm

Love it all. Those slips (and the styling) are gorgeous.

11. Sarah Smutny commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 2:36pm

Thanks so much for the tip Holly!
    I really need one too:) It always looks crappy when you just cover it with a textile…
    Sarah Smutny´s last blog post ..slide_start

12. Zane commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 2:47pm

beautiful interior ideas
    Zane´s last blog post ..The Liebster Award

13. Jessica commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 3:35pm

Love this look…reminds me of a sea cottage
    Jessica´s last blog post ..Decor from the Shore: Wave

14. Karena commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 3:51pm

Oh I love, love it!! The gray on the daybed interests me!!

xoxo
    Karena

Art by Karena
    Karena´s last blog post ..Love is in the Air and a Winner

15. Gosia commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 4:43pm

Linen slip-covers are so gorgeous! I, too, have been pinning a lot the look recently. It’s such a smart way to keep the lovely pieces of furniture around longer, and to reuse and recycle – the lifestyle that is here to stay. Thanks for adding more images to my Pinterest collection, as I dream of making my own slip-covers, too.
    Gosia´s last blog post ..Snowdrop Poetry

16. Phil commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 4:48pm

These are giving me some excellent ideas, and I especially liked … them all. I have a particular sofa in mind, and I also like the idea of hanging or placing in a small section, some fabric.
    Phil´s last blog post ..Wicker Furniture Sets – Elegance And Style

17. robin commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 5:25pm

I looked at BEMZ awhile back, but didn’t consider them to be all that affordable on my budget! My first real sewing project was slip-covering two couches a few years back when my husband and I were moving into a new loft and I knew we couldn’t afford new furniture as well! 5 years later one couch has been replaced by a Karlstad (bought for a steal off the set at a photo shoot!) and the other is in desperate need of new covers. I had done natural and with kids it gets dirty quick! I bought fabric 2 years ago and the couch is still coverred by a big painting tarp which I guess gives it the oversized look!

18. simone commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 5:25pm

Love me some slipcovers– anything that looks comfy, homey and chic…I’m in!
    simone´s last blog post ..Coolio!

19. Laura Trevey commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 6:35pm

I really like the mixed matched chairs around the dining table – very cool!
    Laura Trevey´s last blog post ..Beautiful Bedrooms

20. Evelyn S. commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 6:38pm

i like it.. it would get dirty pretty fast.. but it looks great and gives like a relax vibe!

21. Jessica commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 7:03pm

love this look but am not willing to spend twice the price of the funiture for the slipcover!

22. Heather B commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 7:34pm

I’ve been a fan of Bemz for a while. I have a tullsta chair that is in serious need of a makeover. I’m partial to the linen covers, although I LOVE that they have Marimekko and Designer’s Guild. If only they went with my room…
    Heather B´s last blog post ..My Pinterest Rant

23. Margarita Lorenzo commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 7:49pm

Nice, nice and nice, I am a big fan of loose covers myself, I was thinking of making some for my bed in linen, but as you, I never seem to get the time to get on with it, so will get some already made soon. Love the space as well, such a nice mix of whites and furniture isn’t?
    Margarita Lorenzo´s last blog post ..Restoring old furniture

24. Julián | sofas piel commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 7:54pm

The sofa with cover seems very comfortable and stylish, it looks like a sofa practice within the classroom environment where much help is the wooden floor that blends perfectly with the white fabric sofa.

25. Alexandra commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 8:06pm

Thought I was the only one who liked this, figured everyone else must think it looks sloppy, only problem is I hate really square furniture…I need to find some covers like these for my wing chairs.

26. Daniel - Let me be inspired commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 8:27pm

Hi, lovely pictures! Love the KARLSTAD sofa from Ikea – I love the furnitures with loose-fit covers so you can change when you like
    Daniel – Let me be inspired´s last blog post ..Contemporary design in the Gothic Quarter

27. Tinachicky commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 8:33pm

Love it! I should TOTALLY do that for my sofa! My dog loves to get on there when we leave and even though we put things on the sofa so he doesn’t do it, there are times when we forget. This would make it so much better and easier to clean as well.

Now, is there something like that for a recliner though?
    Tinachicky´s last blog post ..Pin Up Photo Shoot

28. Aude commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 9:06pm

I absolutely love it!! Thank you so much for sharing!

29. Olivia commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 9:17pm

I love it! Very, very nice. Thank you for sharing!

30. Penelope@thirdroomstudio commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 9:38pm

Oh, I love them! Although I don’t have Ikea lounges, they look like they might fit ours too – beautiful, and agreed, I love that white one. Thanks for the link!
    Penelope@thirdroomstudio´s last blog post ..New work

31. Bonnie McCarthy commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 9:45pm

Sounds like a wonderful resource! Thanks for sharing & love the pics!
    Bonnie McCarthy´s last blog post ..Simple Giving: Flower Arranging with Tape!

32. uschi36 commented
    February 9th, 2012 at 9:55pm

i think the covers are great but expensive. the klippan sofa is 169 euros in austria and the loose cover would be 339 euros … you see what i mean ?

of course the idea is great and i have another address for you:

the designer is a 16-year-old girl !!! there is an article in german:

kind regards, uschi

33. Sarah Baynes Sarna commented
    February 10th, 2012 at 2:26am

Great source Holly – thanks!

34. sue commented
    February 10th, 2012 at 2:52am

love, love, love… i was so desperately seeking a look like this when putting together my latest home and it’s soooooo incredibly hard to find loosely draped furnishings, especially in the UK (go figure!)… this is swoon worthy indeed… thanks so much for sharing!
    sue´s last blog post ..a gypsy spring {anthropologie}…

35. Punctuation Mark commented
    February 10th, 2012 at 5:39am

I love it… when i lived in LA i wanted to do something very much like this… very cool!!!
    Punctuation Mark´s last blog post ..Elevators

36. Sari commented
    February 10th, 2012 at 9:00am

Oh i love this post! Got that sofa myself and love the loose-fit covers! Didn’t know them before this post so i’m very happy you shared it with us :) Love every single picture, especially the 6th with the sofa.

Thanks for sharing!
    Love, Sari

37. Rose commented
    February 10th, 2012 at 10:34am

The loose cover looks is so country and shabby chic. Extremely practical way of giving a seat/sofa a longer lifetime, in terms of re-upholstering. This company is actually very clever to take the Ikea Furniture and make loose covers that can be shipped. Seems they have captured a corner of a viable marker. Actually Holly, to make your own loose cover is really hectic. Getting the fit right can be very tricky.

The image of the divan and its cover takes me right back to my youth- we had a divan with a similar cover …. and … as a teenager, I could not stand it. it wasn’t trendy enough. Just goes to show.
    Rose´s last blog post ..Cross Your Heart…

38. Laura commented
    February 10th, 2012 at 6:00pm

Gorgeous palette. So pretty

39. emily commented
    February 11th, 2012 at 4:35am

brilliant. i think they are simple and elegant. thank you. great find!

40. Katja commented
    February 11th, 2012 at 4:57pm

I have Ikea furniture – an Ängby armchair and a Karlstad footstool, of which I have changed the looks several times with Bemz covers. The Bemz idea is great, and it is so easy to change the look of an interior with textiles. Loose covers for furniture makes it eaten easier. Have a look at my latest change of the footstool.

41. Vicki commented
    February 12th, 2012 at 12:27am

Beautiful book! I could picture spending hours in these rooms. Thanks for sharing it with us, Holly. xo
    Vicki´s last blog post ..Have a weekend filled with wonder ….

42. Kelly commented
    February 14th, 2012 at 12:20am

Hello Holly,

It is a great look, combines two favorite looks I love, casual with sophistication. I think the straight lines do it. Another thing about slipcovers, you can take them off and wash them, very practical.

And I have a sofa that could really do with one.

All the best, Kelly

43. Casa e Cose commented
    February 14th, 2012 at 11:03am

Like a true swede i know BENZ but i dont think they are cheap. Its cheaper to buy a new sofa at IKEA! But then again IKEA, for what reason i dont know, dont to the loose covers…yet
    Casa e Cose´s last blog post ..A home

44. Kristin commented
    February 14th, 2012 at 2:59pm

I have the same sofa and it’s ruined as well… IKEA’s slipcovers sure don’t last long when your dog thinks the couch is her bed. I usually prefer a more tailored look, but I’m loving the covers that drape all the way to the floor!
    Kristin´s last blog post ..Threadbare

45. Alison commented
    February 15th, 2012 at 4:26am

oooh, ahhh, the last photo – the metal cabinet on the back wall – they grey/green one. LOVE!!! I know, I was supposed to be looking at the slip covers, but that cabinet!

46. Landon @ The Gilded Stag commented
    February 15th, 2012 at 5:58pm

Love the elements of nature incorporated!
    Landon @ The Gilded Stag´s last blog post ..Design Inspiration

47. melissa commented
    February 27th, 2012 at 2:33pm

love those wall hangings! Where are they from?

48. Elfya commented
    March 4th, 2012 at 4:14pm

Oh! they are awesome – I have redressed my Ektorp 3 times over the past 10 years. I love how it gives my sofa and entire decor a completely different look every time! I also ordered a pillow case from them and loved the box it came in. They are a great company!

49. Christie at Bemz commented
    March 8th, 2012 at 11:03am

Thank you Holly for the lovely coverage and all the great words of support from your readers! Thanks everyone :)
    Christie at Bemz

50. Gillian Kalter commented
    April 16th, 2012 at 11:22pm

I see there are lots of kind comments for Bemz. I had a less pleasant experience with my Bemz covers for IKEA sofas. They were so close-fitting that it took me 45 mins following the instructions to put them on my two sofas and I was absolutely exhausted. No way can I take them off and regularly wash them, then put them on again. I can’t imagine what would happen after shrinkage. So my lovely pale blue covers bought for my new home stay hidden under blankets so they don’t get dirty! Bemz did offer to take them back and analyse why they were so tight but it would have meant spending several weeks with only the sofa bases to sit on. I was very disappointed. Next time I will make them myself!

51. Christie at Bemz commented
    April 18th, 2012 at 1:46pm

Hi Gillian!
    I was very sorry to read about your less than satisfactory experience. We strive to ensure our customers are satisfied with both the Bemz products and the Bemz shopping experience and would love to fix this for you. Please, I urge you to get back in touch with customer services who I am confident will ensure you end up completely satisfied.
    For your information, as cotton is a natural fibre, it does react differently when being processed, such as dyed and pre-washed. But you’ll be glad to know that our products are guaranteed for 3 years with our fabric supplier, so you may still be within that window. Also, just fyi, cotton does not have a lot of give whereas our Belgian Linen fabrics offer a little more leeway and are easier to put on.
    As I mentioned however, just get back in touch with us and we’ll sort this out for you. Thanks!
    Christie at Bemz

52. Zara Hilton commented
    April 8th, 2013 at 6:30pm

I love the idea of using something so simple to spruce up your home & it totally works!

I use blankets to add colour!

Zara

53. karen wiltson commented
    November 1st, 2013 at 7:10am

I have a large sofa and covered it with a beautiful wheat colored faux suede slipcover throw I purchased at walmart for $38.00. I decorated it with large pillows that match the slipcover and the room decor inexpensively. I am well pleased with the results.