Meeting Sweet Paul

I recently met Paul Lowe from Sweet Paul and he was so calm and well, yeah, sweet. I didn’t know what to expect really, but I thought that it would be nice to meet him while I was in NYC so I took a shot of courage and sent him a message and said that I’d like to meet him in person and would he be interested in popping by the light studio where I was teaching in Soho to say hello. It was a long shot since we aren’t really web friends and I’ve never really talked to him before, but I believe in just asking people for things because if you don’t ask, you have no right to complain when stuff doesn’t happen in your life. So I asked.

Sweet Paul

And I received. Paul Lowe walked in during our class and not only did I meet him, but he so nicely met lots of my students too who wanted to know more about my mystery guest – and for those who did know who he was, well they had a total “moment” — I could tell.

Sweet Paul

Most of us are inspired by and like to see those who find success primarily from blogging as Paul has, I have, and so many others who began their career mostly by sharing their passions online first and then wham-o! It resulted in amazing things for their life and careers. Paul is incredibly talented and deserves his success and from my brief chat with him, he was very warm and polite but also grounded. He seems like someone that I would get on well with if I had only had spent more time chatting him up. But of course, I had a class to teach and so the Sweet Paul visit was quick but still deeply inspiring to me personally and I wish to thank him so much for stopping by to say hello. I’ve met some incredible people throughout my own blogging journey over the years and Paul was a highlight. Thanks, Paul.

Sweet Paul

Sweet Paul

I love these two spreads (above) as it really reminds me of the work of my favorite stylist, Dietlind Wolf in Germany whom I wrote about in January – she did the same thing with watercolors and food. Dietlind is a known trendsetter in the world of food styling here in Germany. The two spreads above are by Alicia Buszczak.

Sweet Paul

Sweet Paul

Sweet Paul

Sweet Paul

Sweet Paul

Sweet Paul

And with that, I’ll shout out the recent issue of Sweet Paul magazine (Spring 2012) with some images from it, and you can watch for it at Anthropologie stores sold nationwide and in the UK as it will arrive in printed fashion there very soon for Antho customers. Yay to Paul for scoring that collaboration, a huge win!

(images: sweet paul magazine)

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on March 15, 2012

1. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    March 15th, 2012 at 5:53pm

Ack, I am so sad I missed him on sunday! I would have loved to meet him, as I am completely inspired by him and his mag. I though you two would like each other….love this and love that one inspiration got to meet the other.
    xoxo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Little things & little moments

2. Mandy commented
    March 15th, 2012 at 6:43pm

All so beautiful. I can’t wait to go find this mag at Anthropologie!
    Mandy´s last blog post ..Books: The Lost Art

3. Audrey Smit commented
    March 15th, 2012 at 6:58pm

I was one of those with a “moment” :D I didn’t know Paul before he walked in, but he started talking and my brain just went “This guy is great, who IS he?! I am one of his stalkers now :) Thanks for introducing us to Paul at the workshop!
    Audrey Smit´s last blog post ..{Good for you, good for others} Men (not) in black

4. Herma commented
    March 15th, 2012 at 7:04pm

Ooowwh… what a very g-r-e-a-t magazine! It ‘s all nice!!
    And, what I want to tell you..;) ..yesterday was my birthday and I have gotten your book “Decorate”!!! I love it very very much!!! It is a very very nice and beautiful book!! With love, Herma

5. Glenda Childers commented
    March 15th, 2012 at 7:16pm

How lovely that your courage paid off. I love thoughtful people.

Fondly,
    Glenda
    Glenda Childers´s last blog post ..Chicago O’Hare Airport ~ its’ best kept secret

6. kalanicut commented
    March 15th, 2012 at 7:21pm

I love that you asked and that the two of you met. That is so grand. You remind me that I need to just ask more often. What beautiful things happen when you do! Thanks for the inspiration!
    kalanicut´s last blog post ..Flowers Brighten Up Everything

7. nadine commented
    March 15th, 2012 at 7:26pm

… nice to have you back here again, Holly! missed your daily blogs* nadine from berlin* (unbekannterweise…)
    nadine´s last blog post ..nice

8. Miss Crumpet commented
    March 15th, 2012 at 7:48pm

I have just read Sweet Paul Spring 2012 cover to cover – loved it – Dietlind Wolf def a favourite feature.

9. decor8 commented
    March 15th, 2012 at 8:13pm

@Herma – Thank you Herma, I’m so pleased that you are enjoying it!!!

10. decor8 commented
    March 15th, 2012 at 8:14pm

@Melissa – I was so sad that you couldn’t make Sunday because I knew you would have been totally in your element. Next time my dear, next time!

11. Igor commented
    March 15th, 2012 at 8:24pm

A talented man and definitely good to see some male talents in the sphere of styling:-)
    Igor´s last blog post ..Inspired By Japan

12. Fiona Humberstone commented
    March 15th, 2012 at 8:29pm

I so had that “moment” but I was too shy to say hello ;-) Go you for being much braver!
    Fiona Humberstone´s last blog post ..Inspiration on your doorstep

13. lebenslustiger commented
    March 15th, 2012 at 8:33pm

I just so adore the Sweet Paul Mag! Beautiful work! And my dream job: assistant to Dietlind Wolf – she’s just amazing…
    lebenslustiger´s last blog post ..Upcycle your beads

14. Kate @ Songs Kate Sang commented
    March 15th, 2012 at 9:11pm

Thank you so much for posting these amazing pictures! His work is so colorful and happy!
    Kate @ Songs Kate Sang´s last blog post ..My favorite building in Denton, Texas

15. Maria at inredningsvis.se commented
    March 15th, 2012 at 10:34pm

SOOOO cute pics:) Easter is a happy colorful holiday I think. Your blog is lovely..

LOVE Maria
    Maria at inredningsvis.se´s last blog post ..Inspiration: balkonger

16. Patti Trostle commented
    March 16th, 2012 at 4:26am

Everything looks so good and beautiful pics also!

17. fenny setiawan commented
    March 16th, 2012 at 6:31am

Thank you for sharing Holly, I really like Sweet Paul from the beginning that I knew blogging world.

18. Helene commented
    March 16th, 2012 at 6:18pm

oh Holly, i love Sweet Paul. great that you asked and that is was rewarded in such a nice and lovely way. and even if you find this strange: should you ever want to go for a coffee or sorts {in Hannover} i would love to meet with you because i just adore your work/book/blog, have a lovely day, Helene
    Helene´s last blog post ..{spring is here}

19. sophia stone commented
    March 16th, 2012 at 6:49pm

Thank You for the “virtual” Sweet Paul introduction.

Joyfully,
    Sophie from ChateauSophie

20. Katie commented
    March 16th, 2012 at 9:04pm

Do you know when it will be on sale in the UK? I will definitely keep my eye out for in in Anthropologie! Looks lovely.
    Katie´s last blog post ..Decoupage Inspiration

21. Beatrice commented
    March 16th, 2012 at 9:31pm

The pictures are gorgeous and his latest issue has been just another delight to read. So many wonderful and beautiful ideas! He looks like a very sweet guy too.
    Beatrice´s last blog post ..Crafty Fridays

22. Xandra commented
    March 17th, 2012 at 7:57pm

Those compositions look really great. I’ll definitely check out the magazine, thanks for the tip!
    Xandra´s last blog post ..SUNNY DAYS

23. Purodeco commented
    March 18th, 2012 at 12:31pm

I adore the Sweet Paul and his work! And he is from Oslo in Norway just like me!
    Purodeco´s last blog post ..Morocco Love

24. Poppy51 commented
    March 18th, 2012 at 9:45pm

Waow! Everything seems soooooo good! i’m hungry now :-))… beautiful pics!

25. Megan commented
    March 19th, 2012 at 12:23am

Dietland is one of my favs too! Such beautiful work. Those definitely remind me of her stuff…very cool
    Megan´s last blog post ..New Work in the Makewells Studio

26. Mobilier de jardin commented
    March 19th, 2012 at 2:38pm

Gorgeous pictures are usual.

27. Margarita Lorenzo commented
    March 19th, 2012 at 2:38pm

He seems like a nice and warm person by looking at his picture, plus someone who produces such a beautiful and delicate magazine has to be sensitive and appreciative of good and creative things. So nice meeting all these very interesting people in your continuos journeys.
    Margarita Lorenzo´s last blog post ..Vacation period

28. Daniel - Let me be inspired commented
    March 19th, 2012 at 3:23pm

Hi, Hope you had a great weekend! So nice to meet Paul Lowe, that must really been great! Love your blog! Have a great day!
    Daniel – Let me be inspired´s last blog post ..Exclusive apartment from the turn of the century

29. Gina commented
    March 20th, 2012 at 12:13pm

I truly admire Paul Lowe’s work! It is always simple, inspiring and so fresh! And this recent issue rocks my creative world… it is,definitely, my kind of e-mag!
    Gina´s last blog post ..* Spring is here! *

30. suzie commented
    March 20th, 2012 at 4:27pm

Isn’t it amazing that Paul started with a blog and now has a magazine printed?! I like to see his success and also that print media is not dead and everything only online.
    suzie´s last blog post ..Before and After: How a tiny 2,6 m2 overhanging Toilet became a pretty Kids Bathroom