Meeting Sweet Paul

March 15, 2012

I recently met Paul Lowe from Sweet Paul and he was so calm and well, yeah, sweet. I didn’t know what to expect really, but I thought that it would be nice to meet him while I was in NYC so I took a shot of courage and sent him a message and said that I’d like to meet him in person and would he be interested in popping by the light studio where I was teaching in Soho to say hello. It was a long shot since we aren’t really web friends and I’ve never really talked to him before, but I believe in just asking people for things because if you don’t ask, you have no right to complain when stuff doesn’t happen in your life. So I asked.

Meeting Sweet Paul

And I received. Paul Lowe walked in during our class and not only did I meet him, but he so nicely met lots of my students too who wanted to know more about my mystery guest – and for those who did know who he was, well they had a total “moment” — I could tell.

Meeting Sweet Paul

Most of us are inspired by and like to see those who find success primarily from blogging as Paul has, I have, and so many others who began their career mostly by sharing their passions online first and then wham-o! It resulted in amazing things for their life and careers. Paul is incredibly talented and deserves his success and from my brief chat with him, he was very warm and polite but also grounded. He seems like someone that I would get on well with if I had only had spent more time chatting him up. But of course, I had a class to teach and so the Sweet Paul visit was quick but still deeply inspiring to me personally and I wish to thank him so much for stopping by to say hello. I’ve met some incredible people throughout my own blogging journey over the years and Paul was a highlight. Thanks, Paul.

Meeting Sweet Paul

Meeting Sweet Paul

I love these two spreads (above) as it really reminds me of the work of my favorite stylist, Dietlind Wolf in Germany whom I wrote about in January – she did the same thing with watercolors and food. Dietlind is a known trendsetter in the world of food styling here in Germany. The two spreads above are by Alicia Buszczak.

Meeting Sweet Paul

Meeting Sweet Paul

Meeting Sweet Paul

Meeting Sweet Paul

Meeting Sweet Paul

Meeting Sweet Paul

And with that, I’ll shout out the recent issue of Sweet Paul magazine (Spring 2012) with some images from it, and you can watch for it at Anthropologie stores sold nationwide and in the UK as it will arrive in printed fashion there very soon for Antho customers. Yay to Paul for scoring that collaboration, a huge win!

(images: sweet paul magazine)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente March 15, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Ack, I am so sad I missed him on sunday! I would have loved to meet him, as I am completely inspired by him and his mag. I though you two would like each other….love this and love that one inspiration got to meet the other.

• Reply decor8 March 15, 2012 at 8:14 pm

@Melissa – I was so sad that you couldn’t make Sunday because I knew you would have been totally in your element. Next time my dear, next time!

• Reply Mandy March 15, 2012 at 6:43 pm

All so beautiful. I can’t wait to go find this mag at Anthropologie!

• Reply Audrey Smit March 15, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I was one of those with a “moment” :D I didn’t know Paul before he walked in, but he started talking and my brain just went “This guy is great, who IS he?! I am one of his stalkers now :) Thanks for introducing us to Paul at the workshop!

• Reply Herma March 15, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Ooowwh… what a very g-r-e-a-t magazine! It ‘s all nice!!
    And, what I want to tell you..;) ..yesterday was my birthday and I have gotten your book “Decorate”!!! I love it very very much!!! It is a very very nice and beautiful book!! With love, Herma

• Reply decor8 March 15, 2012 at 8:13 pm

@Herma – Thank you Herma, I’m so pleased that you are enjoying it!!!

• Reply Glenda Childers March 15, 2012 at 7:16 pm

How lovely that your courage paid off. I love thoughtful people.

• Reply kalanicut March 15, 2012 at 7:21 pm

I love that you asked and that the two of you met. That is so grand. You remind me that I need to just ask more often. What beautiful things happen when you do! Thanks for the inspiration!

• Reply nadine March 15, 2012 at 7:26 pm

… nice to have you back here again, Holly! missed your daily blogs* nadine from berlin* (unbekannterweise…)

• Reply Miss Crumpet March 15, 2012 at 7:48 pm

I have just read Sweet Paul Spring 2012 cover to cover – loved it – Dietlind Wolf def a favourite feature.

• Reply Igor March 15, 2012 at 8:24 pm

A talented man and definitely good to see some male talents in the sphere of styling:-)

• Reply Fiona Humberstone March 15, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I so had that “moment” but I was too shy to say hello ;-) Go you for being much braver!

• Reply lebenslustiger March 15, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I just so adore the Sweet Paul Mag! Beautiful work! And my dream job: assistant to Dietlind Wolf – she’s just amazing…

• Reply Kate @ Songs Kate Sang March 15, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Thank you so much for posting these amazing pictures! His work is so colorful and happy!

• Reply Maria at inredningsvis.se March 15, 2012 at 10:34 pm

SOOOO cute pics:) Easter is a happy colorful holiday I think. Your blog is lovely..

LOVE Maria

• Reply Patti Trostle March 16, 2012 at 4:26 am

Everything looks so good and beautiful pics also!

• Reply fenny setiawan March 16, 2012 at 6:31 am

Thank you for sharing Holly, I really like Sweet Paul from the beginning that I knew blogging world.

• Reply Helene March 16, 2012 at 6:18 pm

oh Holly, i love Sweet Paul. great that you asked and that is was rewarded in such a nice and lovely way. and even if you find this strange: should you ever want to go for a coffee or sorts {in Hannover} i would love to meet with you because i just adore your work/book/blog, have a lovely day, Helene

• Reply sophia stone March 16, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Thank You for the “virtual” Sweet Paul introduction.

Sophie from ChateauSophie

• Reply Katie March 16, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Do you know when it will be on sale in the UK? I will definitely keep my eye out for in in Anthropologie! Looks lovely.

• Reply Beatrice March 16, 2012 at 9:31 pm

The pictures are gorgeous and his latest issue has been just another delight to read. So many wonderful and beautiful ideas! He looks like a very sweet guy too.

• Reply Xandra March 17, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Those compositions look really great. I’ll definitely check out the magazine, thanks for the tip!

• Reply Purodeco March 18, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I adore the Sweet Paul and his work! And he is from Oslo in Norway just like me!

• Reply Poppy51 March 18, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Waow! Everything seems soooooo good! i’m hungry now :-))… beautiful pics!

• Reply Megan March 19, 2012 at 12:23 am

Dietland is one of my favs too! Such beautiful work. Those definitely remind me of her stuff…very cool

• Reply Mobilier de jardin March 19, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Gorgeous pictures are usual.

• Reply Margarita Lorenzo March 19, 2012 at 2:38 pm

He seems like a nice and warm person by looking at his picture, plus someone who produces such a beautiful and delicate magazine has to be sensitive and appreciative of good and creative things. So nice meeting all these very interesting people in your continuos journeys.

• Reply Daniel - Let me be inspired March 19, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Hi, Hope you had a great weekend! So nice to meet Paul Lowe, that must really been great! Love your blog! Have a great day!

• Reply Gina March 20, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I truly admire Paul Lowe’s work! It is always simple, inspiring and so fresh! And this recent issue rocks my creative world… it is,definitely, my kind of e-mag!

• Reply suzie March 20, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Isn’t it amazing that Paul started with a blog and now has a magazine printed?! I like to see his success and also that print media is not dead and everything only online.