Paper Flower Tutorials From Martha Stewart

I thought to further inspire you today on the first day of spring that I’d link you to some fabulous flower making tutorials online that may get your creative juices flowing from craft queen, Martha Stewart. The first are these fab coffee filter flower baskets.

Paper Flowers

You can change them up by adding stems and turning them into bouquets. There is a video that you can watch here to get you started. Try to venture out on a limb and think of other ways to apply this craft idea. You may imagine them as garlands, perhaps?

Paper Flowers

I love this magnolia blossom how to. I remember watching my mother work with crepe paper to make flowers when I was a little girl. She made them beautifully and with great care. She even made them for my bridal shower, the room was filled with crepe paper flowers – some huge, some dainty, along with fresh flower arrangements too. Her creativity influenced everything that I do, she taught me how to see the world as having endless possibilities and countless approaches. She loves taking the conventional and flipping it upside down. Unconventional yet approachable – a fine line, but she never went too far. She rarely crossed over into the crazy craft lady territory where unconventional becomes tacky or looney. When crafting, I try to exercise the same restraint and edit things when I approach that crazy craft lady zone. For me, that’s a sign that I need to step back and step away from the glue gun.

Paper Flowers

Some tutorials that you can link to: 1. Crepe paper flowers are affordable and add a soft touch. 2. This is a fab tutorial, too. 3. Such a beautiful DIY addition to clothing or to a tabletop (A video showing how to do this can be seen on this page). 4. For spring, I suggest trying this DIY with some colorful papers, but this tutorial can put you on the right track. 5. I love this branch idea with birds from the craft store and paper flowers on the branches. 6. More lovely paper blooms with a helpful how-to.

Doesn’t this inspire you to get creative for spring?

(images and projects: marthastewart.com)

Posted by decor8 in diy on March 20, 2012

1. Samira commented
    March 20th, 2012 at 1:30pm

these are inspiring!!! I love it!!!
    Samira´s last blog post ..Lovely Bits – Pops of Color

2. Patti Trostle commented
    March 20th, 2012 at 1:35pm

Wonderful inspiration! I am definetely going to try some of these. Thanks so much for posting this!

3. Ariana commented
    March 20th, 2012 at 1:36pm

I really love those magnolias– thanks for sharing such a fun project, perfect for the first day of spring!
    Ariana´s last blog post ..Why Not Just Come In for a Moment?

4. Gretchen commented
    March 20th, 2012 at 1:46pm

Love the Martha coffee filter flowers. Looks like to perfect idea to make for an Easter table scape! Thanks for sharing.
    Gretchen´s last blog post ..Blogging your way road trip to NYC

5. Ashley commented
    March 20th, 2012 at 2:00pm

These are all really cute! Thanks for sharing! Martha makes everything look so easy! I feel like if I try these they will be nowhere near as cute, but maybe I should challenge myself :)
    Ashley´s last blog post ..Kiss me. I made Irish cupcakes.

6. Sacred & Profane Designs commented
    March 20th, 2012 at 3:03pm

The coffee filter baskets are such an original and clever idea! Can’t wait to go home and try it!

7. Daniel - Let me be inspired commented
    March 20th, 2012 at 3:41pm

Hi, Love the coffee filter image, so great, thanks for sharing! Have a great day!
    Daniel – Let me be inspired´s last blog post ..The home of Silje Aune Eriksen

8. Heather B commented
    March 20th, 2012 at 3:47pm

“Crazy Craft Lady” what a hoot! My mum gets there sometimes “Look at these great lampshades made from straw wrappers!” Oh, hmmmm, I really don’t think I need to. The flowers you shared today are beautiful, the fuschia and orange flowers are my favorite, not crazy craft lady in the slightest ;-)
    Heather B´s last blog post ..Memory Lane – My Sticker Book

9. Nuit commented
    March 20th, 2012 at 3:49pm

this is a true breath of fresh air… delicious spring inspiration :D
    Nuit´s last blog post ..Tiny House

10. Karena commented
    March 20th, 2012 at 4:48pm

These are all such darling projects for Springtime crafts. The flowers are so fun!

xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena
    Karena´s last blog post ..Fresh Produce for Springtime An Artful Giveaway!

11. Kathy Cano-Murillo commented
    March 20th, 2012 at 5:00pm

Beautiful! I wish I could do this, but I could never pull these off. I would end up adding more accents to them – because no matter how hard I try, my heart or spirit won’t allow me to do pretty. Ack! I’m one of the “crazy craft ladies.” I don’t mean to be, that’s just how my personality is, I LOVE over-the-top and adding my own zing. But I’m ok with it, everything I make is out of love and happiness. :-)
    Now I’m inspired to make paper flowers! Love your blog!
    Kathy :-)
    Kathy Cano-Murillo´s last blog post ..Chunky Book Pages (Group Project)

12. hennymats commented
    March 20th, 2012 at 6:12pm

Those are great ideas! I love the coffee filter one, although I’m not sure where to get them.

We also got crafty for Easter: My kids made egg carton flowers last week, http://hennymats.blogspot.de/2012/03/kid-craft-egg-carton-flowers-for-easter.html

Cheers,
    Swenja

13. AnnOnandOn commented
    March 20th, 2012 at 7:30pm

Amazing. This would be a great way to bring a little bit of “spring” inside or to make a gift extra special!

14. rona commented
    March 20th, 2012 at 7:43pm

You have been reading my mind! I’ve started a new tradition of making unique bouquets for my mom and grandmothers grave. Thanks for some new ideas!

15. kalanicut commented
    March 20th, 2012 at 8:09pm

I love the dogwood blooms. So gorgeous. I love how pretty paper flowers are and that they will last more than a few days. I’m trying to push myself to try some new creative projects. These might be good ones to try.
    kalanicut´s last blog post ..Celebrating Friends – Kelly Lee-Creel Fabrics

16. kristin johnsen commented
    March 20th, 2012 at 9:23pm

Love these ideas – thanks so much! I remember making crepe paper flowers with my mom and years later with a good friend who is not longer with us…thanks for reminding me about those happy times! And helping me get out of a rut with my blog postings – you are always giving us so much great info, I need to do the same for my readers! Happy first day of Spring from Cleveland where the weather is in the high 70s!!!
    kristin johnsen´s last blog post ..Not much art – but lots of DC excitement!

17. Bonnie McCarthy commented
    March 20th, 2012 at 11:48pm

These are beautiful! Perfect for the first day of Spring!
    Bonnie McCarthy´s last blog post ..In Studio: Dorte Christjansen

18. ketaki commented
    March 21st, 2012 at 7:25am

These are really awesome and inspiring.. will surely love to try them

19. Mandy commented
    March 21st, 2012 at 2:28pm

Love the coffee filter flowers. Just reading how paper flowers are taking over wedding centerpieces in NY mag Wedding edition.
    Mandy

Mandy´s last blog post ..Inspiring Author: Karen Wheeler

20. Audrey - This Little Street commented
    March 21st, 2012 at 2:42pm

Spring Spring don’t go away, come again another day :) So in love with Spring right now, this is the perfect inspiration. Thanks for sharing, Holly!

21. Jessica @shimmerkai commented
    March 21st, 2012 at 8:03pm

So pretty! I love that orchid.
    Jessica @shimmerkai´s last blog post ..Decor from the Shore: Whale

22. Ana commented
    March 21st, 2012 at 11:21pm

so fun and fresh!!! it’s really felling like spring!

23. Punctuation Mark commented
    March 23rd, 2012 at 4:11am

i love these ideas… they come up with the most amazing things!
    Punctuation Mark´s last blog post ..Time for Playtime

24. Angelia commented
    March 24th, 2012 at 7:25pm

So many lovey ideas, we just finished our school dance decorations, with my students making hundreds of paper flowers. It all turned out beautiful.
    Angelia´s last blog post ..Wordless Wednesday

25. monika commented
    April 9th, 2012 at 2:58pm

these r awesome.I really like it very much n i’ll use these ideas.WOW