Paper Flower Tutorials From Martha Stewart

March 20, 2012

I thought to further inspire you today on the first day of spring that I’d link you to some fabulous flower making tutorials online that may get your creative juices flowing from craft queen, Martha Stewart. The first are these fab coffee filter flower baskets.

Paper Flower Tutorials From Martha Stewart

You can change them up by adding stems and turning them into bouquets. There is a video that you can watch here to get you started. Try to venture out on a limb and think of other ways to apply this craft idea. You may imagine them as garlands, perhaps?

Paper Flower Tutorials From Martha Stewart

I love this magnolia blossom how to. I remember watching my mother work with crepe paper to make flowers when I was a little girl. She made them beautifully and with great care. She even made them for my bridal shower, the room was filled with crepe paper flowers – some huge, some dainty, along with fresh flower arrangements too. Her creativity influenced everything that I do, she taught me how to see the world as having endless possibilities and countless approaches. She loves taking the conventional and flipping it upside down. Unconventional yet approachable – a fine line, but she never went too far. She rarely crossed over into the crazy craft lady territory where unconventional becomes tacky or looney. When crafting, I try to exercise the same restraint and edit things when I approach that crazy craft lady zone. For me, that’s a sign that I need to step back and step away from the glue gun.

Paper Flower Tutorials From Martha Stewart

Some tutorials that you can link to: 1. Crepe paper flowers are affordable and add a soft touch. 2. This is a fab tutorial, too. 3. Such a beautiful DIY addition to clothing or to a tabletop (A video showing how to do this can be seen on this page). 4. For spring, I suggest trying this DIY with some colorful papers, but this tutorial can put you on the right track. 5. I love this branch idea with birds from the craft store and paper flowers on the branches. 6. More lovely paper blooms with a helpful how-to.

Doesn’t this inspire you to get creative for spring?

(images and projects:

You Might Also Like

• Reply Samira March 20, 2012 at 1:30 pm

these are inspiring!!! I love it!!!

• Reply Patti Trostle March 20, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Wonderful inspiration! I am definetely going to try some of these. Thanks so much for posting this!

• Reply Ariana March 20, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I really love those magnolias– thanks for sharing such a fun project, perfect for the first day of spring!

• Reply Gretchen March 20, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Love the Martha coffee filter flowers. Looks like to perfect idea to make for an Easter table scape! Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Ashley March 20, 2012 at 2:00 pm

These are all really cute! Thanks for sharing! Martha makes everything look so easy! I feel like if I try these they will be nowhere near as cute, but maybe I should challenge myself :)

• Reply Sacred & Profane Designs March 20, 2012 at 3:03 pm

The coffee filter baskets are such an original and clever idea! Can’t wait to go home and try it!

• Reply Daniel - Let me be inspired March 20, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Hi, Love the coffee filter image, so great, thanks for sharing! Have a great day!

• Reply Heather B March 20, 2012 at 3:47 pm

“Crazy Craft Lady” what a hoot! My mum gets there sometimes “Look at these great lampshades made from straw wrappers!” Oh, hmmmm, I really don’t think I need to. The flowers you shared today are beautiful, the fuschia and orange flowers are my favorite, not crazy craft lady in the slightest ;-)

• Reply Nuit March 20, 2012 at 3:49 pm

this is a true breath of fresh air… delicious spring inspiration :D

• Reply Karena March 20, 2012 at 4:48 pm

These are all such darling projects for Springtime crafts. The flowers are so fun!

Art by Karena

• Reply Kathy Cano-Murillo March 20, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Beautiful! I wish I could do this, but I could never pull these off. I would end up adding more accents to them – because no matter how hard I try, my heart or spirit won’t allow me to do pretty. Ack! I’m one of the “crazy craft ladies.” I don’t mean to be, that’s just how my personality is, I LOVE over-the-top and adding my own zing. But I’m ok with it, everything I make is out of love and happiness. :-)
    Now I’m inspired to make paper flowers! Love your blog!
    Kathy :-)

• Reply hennymats March 20, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Those are great ideas! I love the coffee filter one, although I’m not sure where to get them.

We also got crafty for Easter: My kids made egg carton flowers last week,

• Reply AnnOnandOn March 20, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Amazing. This would be a great way to bring a little bit of “spring” inside or to make a gift extra special!

• Reply rona March 20, 2012 at 7:43 pm

You have been reading my mind! I’ve started a new tradition of making unique bouquets for my mom and grandmothers grave. Thanks for some new ideas!

• Reply kalanicut March 20, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I love the dogwood blooms. So gorgeous. I love how pretty paper flowers are and that they will last more than a few days. I’m trying to push myself to try some new creative projects. These might be good ones to try.

• Reply kristin johnsen March 20, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Love these ideas – thanks so much! I remember making crepe paper flowers with my mom and years later with a good friend who is not longer with us…thanks for reminding me about those happy times! And helping me get out of a rut with my blog postings – you are always giving us so much great info, I need to do the same for my readers! Happy first day of Spring from Cleveland where the weather is in the high 70s!!!

• Reply Bonnie McCarthy March 20, 2012 at 11:48 pm

These are beautiful! Perfect for the first day of Spring!

• Reply ketaki March 21, 2012 at 7:25 am

These are really awesome and inspiring.. will surely love to try them

• Reply Mandy March 21, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Love the coffee filter flowers. Just reading how paper flowers are taking over wedding centerpieces in NY mag Wedding edition.

• Reply Audrey - This Little Street March 21, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Spring Spring don’t go away, come again another day :) So in love with Spring right now, this is the perfect inspiration. Thanks for sharing, Holly!

• Reply Jessica @shimmerkai March 21, 2012 at 8:03 pm

So pretty! I love that orchid.

• Reply Ana March 21, 2012 at 11:21 pm

so fun and fresh!!! it’s really felling like spring!

• Reply Punctuation Mark March 23, 2012 at 4:11 am

i love these ideas… they come up with the most amazing things!

• Reply Angelia March 24, 2012 at 7:25 pm

So many lovey ideas, we just finished our school dance decorations, with my students making hundreds of paper flowers. It all turned out beautiful.

• Reply monika April 9, 2012 at 2:58 pm

these r awesome.I really like it very much n i’ll use these ideas.WOW