Playing With Food: Springtime Desserts

Hello everyone! I’m Emilie Guelpa from Paris and I’m one of Holly’s brand new columnists on decor8. I work as a freelance stylist, photographer and cookbook author and maintain a blog called Griottes. I love food so it was only natural that I met up with Holly recently at a cafe in Paris. We became fast friends and it was decided then that I would write once monthly on decor8. Today is my debut and I hope what I’m about to share makes you smile big. But first, a bit about my column…

Emily's Column on decor8 today

Once a month, around the third week, I’ll be popping in to share my column: Playing With Food. I won’t be providing recipes or step-by-step instructions on how to make anything because my column isn’t about holding your hand and telling you how to do stuff, rather this column is meant to inspire you, to build your color confidence and to show you alternate ways to look at things and how to think of ways to translate the things you see around you into the kitchen or next dinner party and to have some fun while doing it, careful not to take yourself toooooo seriously. I love to laugh and so I wish to inject some of my more quirky thoughts into the mix, too.

Emily's Column on decor8 today

Spring has Sprung! In the streets of Paris all of the cherry trees are in bloom and the days have begun to lengthen. I felt inspired by the color of cherry blossoms so I took that inspiration into the kitchen and thought to pull together a quick trio of desserts meant to invite you to embrace spring’s arrival. With March being the third month, three seemed like a good number to work from.

Emily's Column on decor8 today

First, I made a small pink Bavarian torte with a light meringue on top, as fragile as the petals of flowers.

Emily's Column on decor8 today

To invite spring to the table I brought in a few Persian buttercups along with ranunculus, pretty pastel ceramic cups, fresh pink, mint green, and a bit of Liberty fabric which is always inspirational to me. Then I decided to add some element of fun to the table, something with a little humor because this comes each and every Spring – rain! But…

Emily's Column on decor8 today
These cloud shaped cookies twirl around the table and the rain is much prettier with blossoms and tiny pompoms.

Emily's Column on decor8 today

These cookies landed gracefully upon a soft minty green plate…
Emily's Column on decor8 today
then chewed and enjoyed. :)

Emily's Column on decor8 today

The final dessert in my trio is this grapefruit sherbet which gives a soft and happy ending to this tabletop and adds something refreshing and cool. Cake has a completely different texture than a cookie and sherbet is an entirely different sensation from there.

Emily's Column on decor8 today

You can serve sherbet (or sorbet, ice cream, frozen yogurt – whatever makes you happy) in a cone or in a cup topped with pretty sprinkles and mini flower-shaped cookies or serve both ways (in a cone and in a cup) to vary the height of your tabletop arrangement of pretty desserts and to suit the desires of your guests as some prefer being offered a choice.

Emily's Column on decor8 today

Have you heard of the poem, Spring has sprung? It is a short English poem that my friend Judikaela sent me. I find it perfectly sums up the return of spring, “Spring has sprung, the grass has ris (risen), I wonder where the birdies is. Some say the bird is on the wing, But that’s absurd, from what I’ve heard…The wing is on the bird.” So cute!

Emily's Column on decor8 today

Note: If this is all a bit too pastel for you, don’t be afraid to work in brighter pinks and greens as shown above! Play with color and play with your food, always!

See you next month! – Emilie.

(photos: Emilie Guelpa text: Holly Becker & Emilie Griottes)

Posted by decor8 in food, guest bloggers on March 22, 2012

1. Mandy commented
    March 22nd, 2012 at 2:24pm

Oh my goodness! I’ve been waiting for this collaboration since you both mentioned it on twitter :)

The photos are perfection and completely inspiring. Thank you for brightening my morning with such a lovely post.

Mandy @ Little Maison
    Mandy´s last blog post ..Inside The Oracle Club

2. Patti Trostle commented
    March 22nd, 2012 at 2:36pm

I will look forward to reading your posts! Great photos and ideas!
    Patti Trostle´s last blog post ..Colorful Country Garden Print

3. Louisa Blackmore commented
    March 22nd, 2012 at 2:41pm

Dear Emilie

Wow, what a lovely inspiring post, and a super reminder not to take ourselves too seriously!

Have a lovely sunny day,

Louisa

4. tinajo commented
    March 22nd, 2012 at 2:47pm

Lovely post, I’ll look forward to your next! :-)
    tinajo´s last blog post ..Ice Ice Baby..!

5. Michelle commented
    March 22nd, 2012 at 2:47pm

Absolutely gorgeous! I am so excited about this new column. Looks like it’s going to be very inspiring.
    Michelle´s last blog post ..I am enamel crazy!

6. Tina Ramchandani commented
    March 22nd, 2012 at 2:49pm

Hi Emily,
    Love your blog and excited about this new column on Decor8! Thanks for sharing, your pictures are wonderful!
    Tina Ramchandani´s last blog post ..Design Spotlights

7. Foley commented
    March 22nd, 2012 at 2:58pm

This looks just like you Emilie :) Fun and pretty!
    Foley´s last blog post ..Mes marque-pages découpés

8. Audrey - This Little Street commented
    March 22nd, 2012 at 3:05pm

I’ve been dying to see her post….finally!!!!! And I am not disappointed, it’s just beautiful as expected!!!!

9. Laura commented
    March 22nd, 2012 at 3:16pm

Emilie this is very inspiring! Thanks you.

10. Samira commented
    March 22nd, 2012 at 3:24pm

GREAT POST!! LOVE IT
    Samira´s last blog post ..Things That Make Me Smile

11. Clemence commented
    March 22nd, 2012 at 3:35pm

This is so beautiful and inspiring! I bet the cherry blossom cake tastes like heaven.
    Clemence´s last blog post ..Art I Heart : Melinda Josie

12. Juliette commented
    March 22nd, 2012 at 3:52pm

I’m really liking this post and am looking forward to future Emilie posts!

It would also be kind of fun to have some resource links to some of the things we see featured in these posts from time to time -although they are lovely inspiration even without the links!
    Juliette´s last blog post ..A Stitch in…?

13. Rebecca commented
    March 22nd, 2012 at 4:03pm

Hi Emile, what a fab collaboration! I love your blog with it’s beautifuly stlyed food so it’s great to see you here at decor8 too! Hope to see more great posts like this in the future…x
    Rebecca´s last blog post ..sunshine award!

14. Candi commented
    March 22nd, 2012 at 4:36pm

AH! So beautiful…this post fills me with happy thoughts.

15. Eleni commented
    March 22nd, 2012 at 4:43pm

Such cute cookies!
    Love the pink hues, actually love all the soft, pastel hues of the photos! Makes the sweets look even sweeter!
    Eleni´s last blog post ....the day begins..

16. Inés commented
    March 22nd, 2012 at 5:24pm

I’ve put on it in my favorite blogs, how wonderful.
    Inés´s last blog post ..Libreta con pedazos de tela

17. La Tulipe commented
    March 22nd, 2012 at 6:16pm

Bravo Emilie pour ce premier billet. C’est splendide … tes photos, ton texte. Je suis heureuse de te retrouver sur ce magnifique blog.

18. Chedva commented
    March 22nd, 2012 at 7:16pm

Beautiful and poetic. Makes me long for spring although I’m a winter lover at heart.
    Chedva´s last blog post ..A Home With Personality

19. Barbara C commented
    March 22nd, 2012 at 8:15pm

Love it! It definitely has inspired me to try something new for Spring!

20. Emily commented
    March 22nd, 2012 at 8:36pm

This is so very beautiful and inspiring. I’m quite blown away and just keep going back for another little look. The colours are so delicate and sweet and fun at the same time.
    Emily´s last blog post ..Roller Journal

21. Emma commented
    March 22nd, 2012 at 8:48pm

What I can I say, but wow, much more inspiring than a recipe, beautiful styling, and gorgeous looking food. Looking forward to your next post.
    Emma´s last blog post ..Jude Turner (aka Jessie Jumbles) – Textile Jeweller

22. Clémentine commented
    March 22nd, 2012 at 9:14pm

Bonne chance pour cette nouvelle rubrique qui commence très joliement! Bravo Emilie!

23. Sandrine commented
    March 22nd, 2012 at 9:20pm

Merci Emily and Holly!C’est magnifique…. Ah tout a fait inspirée pour préparer de jolies choses ce weekend! :)x
    Sandrine´s last blog post ..New…

24. Ashley commented
    March 22nd, 2012 at 10:24pm

I’m so glad to see to see your column on decor8! I’ve been excited about it since Holly mentioned it at the BYW Road Trip! Such an inspiring spring table and trio of desserts! Beautifully crafted and styled as always!
    Ashley´s last blog post ..We’ve reached the Hottie Madness Final 4! Taye Diggs vs. Ryan Gosling.

25. Jessica @shimmerkai commented
    March 23rd, 2012 at 2:24am

Those cloud cookies are delightful!
    Jessica @shimmerkai´s last blog post ..Ombre Napkin Rings

26. Paola commented
    March 23rd, 2012 at 2:36am

Ha ha! I wish we could just eat the clouds round here sometimes!

Gorgeous post, Emilie, I’ve been looking forward to seeing you here ever since Holly announced it. Your food styling is AMAZING.
    Paola´s last blog post ..Kate Moss at the Ritz for Vogue US

27. Punctuation Mark commented
    March 23rd, 2012 at 4:49am

i feel like i’m in heaven looking at these images!
    Punctuation Mark´s last blog post ..Time for Playtime

28. fenny setiawan commented
    March 23rd, 2012 at 6:04am

I instantly in love with your column Emilie. This is so inspiring images and your encouragement to don’t hesitate to play with food is fabulous. I especially love the cloud cookies, such a cutie. And also love your style, the pastel color and the ceramic glass. Lovely!

29. andriana commented
    March 23rd, 2012 at 9:03am

the colours, the styling, the atmopshere… so beautiful and serene! congratulations Emilie :-)
    andriana´s last blog post ..Ευτυχία είναι… ♥ Happiness is…

30. Polly commented
    March 23rd, 2012 at 10:07am

Love love love those cloud cookies! So dreamy and cute x
    Polly´s last blog post ..Swimwear from Anthropologie

31. the cupcake lady commented
    March 23rd, 2012 at 10:59am

I love the cloud cookies. Whimsical, fun and quirky. I get a lot of inspiration from food for my ceramic cupcake and ice cream cone money boxes.

32. Marcela commented
    March 23rd, 2012 at 11:00am

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!
    I recently bought your books, Emily, and what a true delight they are!
    I look forward to your next collaborations already.
    Marcela´s last blog post ..Our family trip Part II-Córdoba, Argentina

33. Micala commented
    March 23rd, 2012 at 11:50am

Bonjour Emilie and thank you for your gorgeous and inspiring first decor8 post. I live near Geneva where the cherry blossom isn’t out yet, but I’m waiting patiently. I love what you’ve done with the theme, and it’s inspired me to get out in the garden and take photos of the yellow daffodils and fushia pink tulips next to them and see what I come up with!

Bon weekend!
    Micala´s last blog post ..Oooh la la!

34. Lucille commented
    March 23rd, 2012 at 12:39pm

Emily, you are one of a kind!

35. Pink Ronnie commented
    March 23rd, 2012 at 12:41pm

Wow, I have no words. Your work is amazing.
    So excited about your new monthly column! This debut rocked.
    Ronnie xo
    Pink Ronnie´s last blog post ..Make my home / Our very first formal dining room

36. Fiona Humberstone commented
    March 23rd, 2012 at 12:43pm

Very excited to see your column here. I loved your Pantone tarts so I’m looking forward to seeing more of you!
    Fiona Humberstone´s last blog post ..In the studio this week: A new website for Kate Lloyd Family Photography

37. Valérie I?Cakes commented
    March 23rd, 2012 at 12:45pm

Colourful, fresh and creative as always ! It’s a really nice first column here, keep going ;-)

38. Flanelle commented
    March 23rd, 2012 at 12:54pm

Hummmmm… C’est canon !!

39. Chloe - 24 hours of sunshine commented
    March 23rd, 2012 at 2:20pm

Yay ! Félicitations Emilie pour ce premier et délicieux billet sur Decor8 !!! J’aime retrouver ta petite touche de poésie partout où tu passes :)
    Congrats, clap clap clap !!!
    Chloe – 24 hours of sunshine´s last blog post ..Spring is here ♪♫♪

40. Ría commented
    March 23rd, 2012 at 4:48pm

Very cute pictures! I love the colors.

Ría´s last blog post ..4 Things.

41. sécia commented
    March 23rd, 2012 at 6:39pm

I love those little, cloud cookies!

sécia

sécia´s last blog post ..~Kate Checks In~

42. Jamie@glitzeeglee.com commented
    March 25th, 2012 at 7:07am

I love the little cherry blossom cake. It’s amazing what you can come up with if you use some imagination and creativity. Sometimes we get caught up copying other people’s ideas and never finish our own.

43. AmyPunky Photography commented
    March 26th, 2012 at 12:58am

Oh my goodness the colors are so beautiful! And this looks so yummy!
    These little cloud cookies are the cutest!

44. Rachel commented
    March 26th, 2012 at 10:00pm

WoW! Fabulous photos and the food looks delish! Very excited to see more posts!
    Rachel´s last blog post ..Lake Point Logo

45. Dagný Björg commented
    March 27th, 2012 at 12:40pm

this all looks so beautiful and yummy!

46. Helen commented
    March 27th, 2012 at 5:00pm

Gracious, these pictures are so beautiful and inspiring.

47. Rodinia commented
    March 28th, 2012 at 1:47pm

Reallyyyy beautiful !!! As usual ^^
    The poem is so nice ! Thank youuuu !

48. Monica Lee commented
    March 28th, 2012 at 7:04pm

Oh I need a cloud cookie with my tea today!!
    Monica Lee´s last blog post ..A look through the eyes of Moss and Isaac, a photography team and terrific collaboration

49. Claudia commented
    March 28th, 2012 at 11:34pm

I love your blog, it’s so inspirational!! Thank you for sharing.
    Claudia´s last blog post ..My High Low ProjectS

50. Claudia commented
    March 28th, 2012 at 11:36pm

Also, how can I subscribe to your blog? thank you
    Claudia´s last blog post ..My High Low ProjectS

51. Emily Crawford commented
    March 29th, 2012 at 2:23am

LOVE!!!!!! So inspired. Looking forward to your next post. :)
    Emily Crawford´s last blog post ..Watercolor Butterfly Easter Sneak Peek!

52. Gosia commented
    April 5th, 2012 at 5:24am

So inspiring! Love how the food and kitchen seamlessly merges with colour study, creativity, humour, and food for thought.
    Gosia´s last blog post ..Comment on Verdant with Herbs by Iza

53. Jen Laceda commented
    April 6th, 2012 at 3:07am

hi, i love the table accessories you used here. Can you please tell me where to buy these cute pastel ice cream cups? my girls will totally love them!!!

54. amelia commented
    April 20th, 2012 at 11:40pm

muy bonito, so divine!

55. Griottes commented
    April 21st, 2012 at 2:52am

Thank you so much for this wonderful great enthusiasm! It’s really adorable and inspiring!
    Merci beaucoup tout le monde, je suis contente de voir quelques phrases françaises ici !! :)

@Marcela : oh thank you for my books! It’s very nice! I’m glad you like them :)
    @Micala : Is the cherry blossoms have arrived in Geneva?
    @Jen Laceda : I bought them at Habitat, i dont know if you have a store near you ?

56. Esther commented
    July 17th, 2012 at 1:48pm

Oh, this looks lovely! Thanx for sharing.
    Esther.
    Esther´s last blog post ..All set for the summer Olympics

57. Mary Lawson commented
    March 25th, 2013 at 6:44pm

The grapefruit sherbet totally makes me want to make cantaloupe sorbet again. I made it once in High School and haven’t forgotten about it since.
    Mary Lawson´s last blog post ..PRINTABLE 2013 Galaxy Planner by studiopop