V.K. Rees Photography

Have you ever heard of V.K. Rees Photography out of Brooklyn? I hadn’t until recently and I am smitten by her blog so I’ve decided to make it the decor8 blog of the week. Vanessa Rees, aka V.K.Rees, is a photography studio specializing in food, still life, lifestyle, portrait, fashion, event, and weddings. This talented lady launched her studio only recently in 2010 after completing her MFA and has already made quite a name for herself with clients both near and far. She has shot weddings for clients all over the east coast and has contributed to Food & Wine magazine. I find her blog stunning and I love that each of her posts wraps up with a darling photo of her cat. It’s the little things, right?

Lovely Food Blog

Lovely Food Blog

Lovely Food Blog

Lovely Food Blog

Lovely Food Blog

Lovely Food Blog

What gorgeous photos and I’m sorry, but how cute is it that her cat is involved in her photo shoots? And I like that she sets up her shots near her bedroom window sometimes near to all of that gorgeous natural light. It’s inspiring to see such a simple set up and shows that talent doesn’t have to do with having a massive light studio and a crew, that it really boils down to having a vision and just going for it in any way that you can. What a nice way to wrap up a work week, for me at least…. Animals always make me smile and I love homecookin’, that doesn’t hurt either. I think the egg toast looks like a great Saturday morning breakfast idea for me tomorrow… Yum.

(images: Vanessa Rees)

Posted by decor8 in food on March 30, 2012

1. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com commented
    March 30th, 2012 at 5:22pm

Love Vanessa — i’ve been following her blog for sometime now. You are so right about her cat. Simply cute :)
    Kiran @ KiranTarun.com´s last blog post ..Pistachio Birthday Cake

2. Mandy commented
    March 30th, 2012 at 5:34pm

I couldn’t agree more – love that the kitty is involved in a staring contest up top.
    Mandy
    Mandy´s last blog post ..Inspiring Artist: Jen Schultz

3. Summer // House&Hold commented
    March 30th, 2012 at 6:15pm

I agree, Vanessa’s photos are just beautiful & so moody. & her recipes are really lovely as well!!

4. melody commented
    March 30th, 2012 at 7:19pm

agreed, gorgeous photos. my kitty just had kittens herself and I’m dying for them to be old enough to do a few photo shoots!

5. lebenslustiger commented
    March 30th, 2012 at 8:29pm

There is not a single photo I have taken in my home without the supervision of my cat boy. He would check out the styling REALLY closely and thoroughly and I just have to wait ’til he’s done. So glad I don’t have a food blog… Cats are wonderful decorate companions! Thanks for your weekend wishes – I’m enjoying Northsea air! Have a wonderful weekend , too.
    lebenslustiger´s last blog post ..Ponyland

6. Tracey commented
    March 30th, 2012 at 9:33pm

Such gorgeous photos, and yes, that kitty is just adorable, makes me miss my little orange taby to very much.
    Tracey´s last blog post ..Protecting the Bokeh

7. Mariela commented
    March 30th, 2012 at 10:11pm

Lovely pictures, very real and cute cat : ) , have a lovely day!.

8. Bonnie McCarthy commented
    March 31st, 2012 at 12:33am

This is warm and charming and beautiful and comforting all at the same time. Love the photos and your inspiring words.
    Bonnie McCarthy´s last blog post ..Country Drive: Ipswich & Essex

9. deneise b commented
    March 31st, 2012 at 2:26am

natural light, uncomplicated decor, make for beautiful pictures!

10. Patti Trostle commented
    March 31st, 2012 at 3:20am

Great photo’s, and love the cat!

11. Nancy commented
    March 31st, 2012 at 3:46am

Your blog is truly one of the most inspiring on the web today, Holly, and every now and then you introduce me to new blogs/new work that simply blows my mind… today’s link is definitely one of those blogs… thank you so much!

Love and appreciation always,
    Nancy

12. Kate @ Songs Kate Sang commented
    March 31st, 2012 at 4:09am

OH wow. Her photography is inspiring.
    Kate @ Songs Kate Sang´s last blog post ..Insta-Friday…

13. Ivy commented
    April 1st, 2012 at 6:19am

Thank you for sharing a new-to-me photographer…. heading to her site soon to check it all out!
    Cheers~Ivy
    Ivy´s last blog post ..Coralville Photographer: Spring Blooms 2

14. Margarita Lorenzo commented
    April 2nd, 2012 at 12:32am

talented indeed, and i agree with you, a good camera and big team does not make up for a good eye and natural talent. The photos are simple but gorgeous, and the cat is just gorgeous.
    Margarita Lorenzo´s last blog post ..Loving and living with cactus

15. Lucianna Samu commented
    April 2nd, 2012 at 1:02am

Love to find new blogs and this one is a keeper. Lovely, simple, down-home photos and a great cat too!

16. Dianne commented
    April 2nd, 2012 at 6:46am

We call the toasts “egg-in- a-hole”. They’re so easy to make, and good with chutney or HP sauce.

17. Sandra commented
    April 2nd, 2012 at 2:20pm

I have been captivated by tabletop photography and studying/learning as much as I can. First you introduced me to Dietland Wolf and now Vanessa! Thank you!!!

It IS more the inspiration rather than the team or the fancy technology. Of course you need to know the basics but the styling is sheer inspiration. And it’s all in the storytelling….even in a single shot.
    Sandra´s last blog post ..The family brunch

18. Rebecca via Sanctuary commented
    April 2nd, 2012 at 7:59pm

Hi, These are ever so lovely, thank you for the introduction. And thanks for the constant inspiration! x
    Rebecca via Sanctuary´s last blog post ..Spring pastels on my mind

19. Iro [Ivy style33] commented
    April 3rd, 2012 at 12:43pm

pure talent + love meeting each other… adoring Vanessa’s work so much…
    fabulous find Holly, thank you so much for sharing!
    Iro [Ivy style33]´s last blog post ..~ hello April!

20. Sasya commented
    April 3rd, 2012 at 4:38pm

this is absolutely stunning!

21. Chrystina commented
    April 11th, 2012 at 5:32am

I just wanted to point out how much I love your choice of the word “smitten” – it has good personality.
    Chrystina´s last blog post ..easter “egg” hunts

22. decor8 commented
    April 11th, 2012 at 2:34pm

@Chrytina – I agree, it’s a great word. ;0)

23. Yeshen commented
    April 12th, 2012 at 3:59pm

Wonderful photos.. I totally agree rE: natural light, although not all of us are lucky enough to have a space that makes this possible. A good softbox will help. the cat can do no wrong..

I was looking for a photo portfolio template/blog to use and this one is great.. I already went with SquareSpace for the site but maybe can do a combo.

24. Natalia commented
    April 26th, 2012 at 4:37pm

Love everything in this blog! The colours, the images, every selection. I can’t stop reading. I’m from Argentina and decor8 is always an inspiration.

25. Cheryl commented
    May 9th, 2012 at 10:45pm

Nice shots! I had me some ‘egg-in-the-hole’ for breakfast today.

26. marla commented
    December 2nd, 2012 at 11:20pm

Such a wonderful feature I am a big fan of this fabulous blog too! Stunnign photography & great recipes.