V.K. Rees Photography

March 30, 2012

Have you ever heard of V.K. Rees Photography out of Brooklyn? I hadn’t until recently and I am smitten by her blog so I’ve decided to make it the decor8 blog of the week. Vanessa Rees, aka V.K.Rees, is a photography studio specializing in food, still life, lifestyle, portrait, fashion, event, and weddings. This talented lady launched her studio only recently in 2010 after completing her MFA and has already made quite a name for herself with clients both near and far. She has shot weddings for clients all over the east coast and has contributed to Food & Wine magazine. I find her blog stunning and I love that each of her posts wraps up with a darling photo of her cat. It’s the little things, right?

V.K. Rees Photography

V.K. Rees Photography

V.K. Rees Photography

V.K. Rees Photography

V.K. Rees Photography

V.K. Rees Photography

What gorgeous photos and I’m sorry, but how cute is it that her cat is involved in her photo shoots? And I like that she sets up her shots near her bedroom window sometimes near to all of that gorgeous natural light. It’s inspiring to see such a simple set up and shows that talent doesn’t have to do with having a massive light studio and a crew, that it really boils down to having a vision and just going for it in any way that you can. What a nice way to wrap up a work week, for me at least…. Animals always make me smile and I love homecookin’, that doesn’t hurt either. I think the egg toast looks like a great Saturday morning breakfast idea for me tomorrow… Yum.

(images: Vanessa Rees)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Kiran @ March 30, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Love Vanessa — i’ve been following her blog for sometime now. You are so right about her cat. Simply cute :)

• Reply Mandy March 30, 2012 at 5:34 pm

I couldn’t agree more – love that the kitty is involved in a staring contest up top.

• Reply Summer // House&Hold March 30, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I agree, Vanessa’s photos are just beautiful & so moody. & her recipes are really lovely as well!!

• Reply melody March 30, 2012 at 7:19 pm

agreed, gorgeous photos. my kitty just had kittens herself and I’m dying for them to be old enough to do a few photo shoots!

• Reply lebenslustiger March 30, 2012 at 8:29 pm

There is not a single photo I have taken in my home without the supervision of my cat boy. He would check out the styling REALLY closely and thoroughly and I just have to wait ’til he’s done. So glad I don’t have a food blog… Cats are wonderful decorate companions! Thanks for your weekend wishes – I’m enjoying Northsea air! Have a wonderful weekend , too.

• Reply Tracey March 30, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Such gorgeous photos, and yes, that kitty is just adorable, makes me miss my little orange taby to very much.

• Reply Mariela March 30, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Lovely pictures, very real and cute cat : ) , have a lovely day!.

• Reply Bonnie McCarthy March 31, 2012 at 12:33 am

This is warm and charming and beautiful and comforting all at the same time. Love the photos and your inspiring words.

• Reply deneise b March 31, 2012 at 2:26 am

natural light, uncomplicated decor, make for beautiful pictures!

• Reply Patti Trostle March 31, 2012 at 3:20 am

Great photo’s, and love the cat!

• Reply Nancy March 31, 2012 at 3:46 am

Your blog is truly one of the most inspiring on the web today, Holly, and every now and then you introduce me to new blogs/new work that simply blows my mind… today’s link is definitely one of those blogs… thank you so much!

Love and appreciation always,

• Reply Kate @ Songs Kate Sang March 31, 2012 at 4:09 am

OH wow. Her photography is inspiring.

• Reply Ivy April 1, 2012 at 6:19 am

Thank you for sharing a new-to-me photographer…. heading to her site soon to check it all out!

• Reply Margarita Lorenzo April 2, 2012 at 12:32 am

talented indeed, and i agree with you, a good camera and big team does not make up for a good eye and natural talent. The photos are simple but gorgeous, and the cat is just gorgeous.

• Reply Lucianna Samu April 2, 2012 at 1:02 am

Love to find new blogs and this one is a keeper. Lovely, simple, down-home photos and a great cat too!

• Reply Dianne April 2, 2012 at 6:46 am

We call the toasts “egg-in- a-hole”. They’re so easy to make, and good with chutney or HP sauce.

• Reply Sandra April 2, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I have been captivated by tabletop photography and studying/learning as much as I can. First you introduced me to Dietland Wolf and now Vanessa! Thank you!!!

It IS more the inspiration rather than the team or the fancy technology. Of course you need to know the basics but the styling is sheer inspiration. And it’s all in the storytelling….even in a single shot.

• Reply Rebecca via Sanctuary April 2, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Hi, These are ever so lovely, thank you for the introduction. And thanks for the constant inspiration! x

• Reply Iro [Ivy style33] April 3, 2012 at 12:43 pm

pure talent + love meeting each other… adoring Vanessa’s work so much…
    fabulous find Holly, thank you so much for sharing!

• Reply Sasya April 3, 2012 at 4:38 pm

this is absolutely stunning!

• Reply Chrystina April 11, 2012 at 5:32 am

I just wanted to point out how much I love your choice of the word “smitten” – it has good personality.

• Reply decor8 April 11, 2012 at 2:34 pm

@Chrytina – I agree, it’s a great word. ;0)

• Reply Yeshen April 12, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Wonderful photos.. I totally agree rE: natural light, although not all of us are lucky enough to have a space that makes this possible. A good softbox will help. the cat can do no wrong..

I was looking for a photo portfolio template/blog to use and this one is great.. I already went with SquareSpace for the site but maybe can do a combo.

• Reply Natalia April 26, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Love everything in this blog! The colours, the images, every selection. I can’t stop reading. I’m from Argentina and decor8 is always an inspiration.

• Reply Cheryl May 9, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Nice shots! I had me some ‘egg-in-the-hole’ for breakfast today.

• Reply marla December 2, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Such a wonderful feature I am a big fan of this fabulous blog too! Stunnign photography & great recipes.