Home Is Where The Heart Is

Home really is where the heart is, but what does that really mean? What does home mean to you? I find myself thinking about this more and more as I am writing my next book and exploring the topic of decorating in a much more personal way than my first book. This is both exciting and scary because one can feel so vulnerable as an author but my wish is that you will really like it as much as I am liking the process of putting it together for you. But on the topic of home is where the heart is, while it is true that your home can be with a person in a place that you love most, I think it can also be in the physical environment in which you live whether it’s your temporary home or one you’ve lived in for years. I’ve moved a lot in my life but each home that I’ve lived in always felt like home to me. I also believe that your home can be inside of your own heart, not always reliant on a place or person.

Heart Home Magazine

Lovely palette in the dining room of stylist and blogger Marie Nichols.

As I break away from my text for a moment though to blog, I found myself feeling inspired today by the Spring issue of Heart Home because I think they really show what it means to have heart in the home – their focus on British interiors really captures life and style there so well and I enjoy seeing these impressions through their eyes. This season I’m inspired by several images and encourage you to click here to check them out in full.

Heart Home Magazine

The home of designer Catherine Hammerton. The dress is fun and unexpected!

Heart Home Magazine

A retro modern dining room that belongs to Chelsea Cefai. So clean and harmonious!

Heart Home Magazine

This credenza top makes me happy. H is for Happy right? This is from the home of Keith and Mark from Mini Moderns.

Heart Home Magazine

Another pretty peek into Catherine Hammerton’s apartment, the quirky bits give me little spine tingles. I love quirk.

Heart Home Magazine

A photo taken by Debi Treloar for Selina Lake’s latest book, Homespun Style. Those green chairs really make this space, don’t they?

Heart Home Magazine

A pretty spread of patterns curated by lovely Heart Home editors, Arianna and Carole.

Heart Home Magazine

A very decorated and smart living room belonging to Chelsea Cefai. The bookcase is great, so often I wish I had a bookcase that allowed me to show off the beautiful covers like this!

Heart Home Magazine

This is a view of Chelsea Cefai’s bedroom, gorgeous bed! I just realized I have three views of her home in this post – I think I am drawn to her very neat home though I don’t live like this at all!

I have to get back to my book right now, but I wanted to pop my head in to say hello and wish you a very happy Monday. I’ll see you again soon! :)

(images: heart home)

Posted by decor8 in Books + Magazines on April 02, 2012

1. Heather B commented
    April 2nd, 2012 at 7:27pm

I love that mismatched, cozy look but I find that when I try it, sometimes my house looks more like a rummage sale. I hope that you will talk about how to do mismatched sans the rummage sale in your book. That would be SO helpful!
    Heather B´s last blog post ..My Favorite Quote, Free for You

2. Sandra commented
    April 2nd, 2012 at 7:53pm

Just popping in to provide further encouragement on your next book! You know, when I think about what makes your blog so attractive and unique is not just the beautiful images – although that is soooo true. You have introduced me to so many lovely designers and photographers. What makes it special IS that you are vulnerable. Not in a wacky way – but in a way that is genuine and original.

Anyhow, go team go and all that.

These images of homes are wonderful – I aspire to have that “look” in my humble cottage!
    Sandra´s last blog post ..The family brunch

3. Samira commented
    April 2nd, 2012 at 7:59pm

love the bed!! super great post!
    Samira´s last blog post ..Vintage Dress, J.Crew Cardigan

4. Ege Denne commented
    April 2nd, 2012 at 8:09pm

Home, is the small details of me. The one I am. Because everything in a home, is, mostly, chosen by me. The small things, the people, the loved ones, and my heart…
    Ege Denne´s last blog post ..Hm… gruble gruble…..

5. Ariana commented
    April 2nd, 2012 at 8:10pm

I think it is really important to think/ talk about what makes a place really a home, particularly for people that move a lot. We lived in three countries in 2011, and I didn’t have the luxury of completely moving into all of our homes… But fresh flowers, a few personal decorations, and making a cozy place to sit and look out the window did the trick for me. I am always amazed by people who can travel constantly, because being at home is one of the best feelings in the world to me!
    Ariana´s last blog post ..Into the Mouse Hole!

6. Carole commented
    April 3rd, 2012 at 12:51am

You are such a sweetheart Holly. Thank you so much for this.
    It’s always nice to see Heart Home through your eyes.
    Good luck with the new book, can’t wait to see it.
    Carole xx
    Carole´s last blog post ..An interview with potter Karen Morgan

7. dustjacket commented
    April 3rd, 2012 at 1:01am

Wished I’d had one of my bookcases made with much higher shelves … just loving the books displayed like this.
    dj
    dustjacket´s last blog post ..A London Home

8. cassie commented
    April 3rd, 2012 at 2:15am

oh my goodness i love the first dining room and the one with the green chairs! awesome!
    cassie´s last blog post ..Monday Giveaway: 50 Personalized Bottle Openers from Amsterdam Printing

9. Amaia commented
    April 3rd, 2012 at 10:42am

I love picture #1 (Marie Nichols’ stylist), specially the wallpaper… Could someone tell me more about it? Thanks!

10. design elements commented
    April 3rd, 2012 at 1:53pm

Holly, the books on that bookshelf are amazing! Do you know the title of the book with the cover with letters BEAUTIFUL. thanks! hug

Maria
    design elements´s last blog post ..Floating Cinema in Thailand

11. Patti Trostle commented
    April 4th, 2012 at 3:26am

I especially like the first pic (dining room) and the bed is wonderful!

12. PAppel commented
    April 4th, 2012 at 4:52am

I would love to know the wall treatment in Chelsea Cefai’s living room. Is it wallpaper (source please) or paint treatment (color please)?
    Thank you!

13. Anne commented
    April 4th, 2012 at 12:26pm

So beautiful! I loved all the pictures, especially the last one:)

14. preppy home decor commented
    April 4th, 2012 at 4:29pm

Another great post that you shared to us. :)
    There are many definitions of a home…And for me, home is the place where we live comfortably. And I agree that “Home is where the heart is” because we would not feel comfortable if we don’t put our heart on it. Right?
    Even though there will be a possibility of transferring from one place to another, but he house is just he building..And the people who will live in it will together be called as “HOME” for instance. Home is where there is love overflowing. That’s why it is said that :”there’s no place like home”
    The real home can also be found in our hearts :) …
    More power!

15. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    April 5th, 2012 at 3:34am

I love these….love Catherine and her work ( now, I love her home too) :) Love that last bedroom….that BED. Ack! LOVE it….And I love quirk, quirk is what I am all about, baby! :)
    xo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Cheap & Chic ( bonus)

16. Fash + Furn commented
    April 5th, 2012 at 4:15am

…gorgeous post! Love that curving foot-board on the bed in that last image; so subtle and classic!

17. buubok commented
    April 5th, 2012 at 12:07pm

very inspiring arrangements, I like so much especially living room belonging to Chelsea Cefai. The bookcase is great, indeed.
    buubok´s last blog post ..snowdrop. crochet pendant lamp.

18. Laura Trevey commented
    April 5th, 2012 at 1:27pm

HOME is family and the little treasures that we all pick up along our journey…
    Laura Trevey´s last blog post ..Cozy Nook

19. Magppie Facebook commented
    April 5th, 2012 at 3:02pm

These are few lovely ways..Just adore it!

20. shannon berrey design commented
    April 5th, 2012 at 3:27pm

Is that dress on Catherines wall made out of paper?! I couldn’t find any info about it in the article, but when I zoom in, I swear it appears that at least the ‘belt bow’ is made of paper. Any insight?! I love it!!

21. Arianna commented
    April 6th, 2012 at 12:28pm

Thank you so much Holly for this lovely post!So happy you liked the Spring issue! Good luck with the new book honey – cannot wait! Have a fabulous Easter! Hugs Ari x
    Arianna´s last blog post ..Inspiration With BDDW

22. deneise b commented
    April 7th, 2012 at 6:17am

i love looking at the homes of talented people. it shows their personality and you seem to get a sense of who they are…

23. Lulu commented
    April 8th, 2012 at 9:08am

I also love the palette of Marie Nichols Dining Room, quietly elegant, perfect for mealtimes with family & friends, or a more intimate dinner for two. However for me the two / three old brown chairs should have been painted, possibly doifferent colours, to complement the colours of fabrics and walls.

24. becky commented
    April 8th, 2012 at 4:29pm

I love that you’re thinking about what makes a home. I was talking about this with a friend the other day and it’s so hard to put your finger on!

I think on the whole homes and interiors are seen as not very “important” (in the same way as fashion), but that actually they go right to the heart of who we are.

For me, home is about expressing myself and liking everything I see. It’s about my values, my ideals and the things I love – which is why it’s full of vintage things, heirlooms, photographs, quirky new design, humour and love. :)

25. dlead commented
    April 9th, 2012 at 3:27pm

Love this post, I think the eclectic looks is beautiful when it’s done correctly. It also very attainable for a lot of people and DIY friendly for all those who love to create things for their home. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the mag!

26. lomr commented
    April 9th, 2012 at 10:48pm

Love the designs you came up with, really good looks

27. Lokanin commented
    April 10th, 2012 at 6:00am

My home is where my suitcase happen to be… I travel for living so to speak.

28. Sophia commented
    April 10th, 2012 at 1:55pm

This post is amazing. Would be awesome to know, which font you used in the pictures….
    xoxo Sophia

29. msdb commented
    April 10th, 2012 at 9:58pm

Ain’t that the truth, home is where the heart is
    msdb´s last blog post ..Client of the Month: Creating a Space for Friends and Family

30. Chedva commented
    April 12th, 2012 at 1:16am

Holly, I couldn’t agree more and I’m so glad you featured Heart Home’s spring issue – I think they’re doing such a wonderful job, and I had such a great time working with them on an article.
    Chedva´s last blog post ..6 Ways To Add Pattern To Your Home

31. Pretty Dandy Homewares commented
    April 21st, 2012 at 1:03am

(posted this above, but forgot to include all my details!)

32. Nataliya commented
    May 29th, 2012 at 8:01am

Holly, Just wanted to let you know that i finally read your first book and it is so inspiring. Specially loved the collection of quotes in it. I’m totally waiting for your next book. All the best for it!

33. Stephanie Thibodeau commented
    June 8th, 2012 at 5:28am

I love decorating my house as well because as you have said it “It is where the heart is” so I really like the house to be really cozy and relaxing. How I wish that I could be as great as them when it comes to designing the house.

34. Keith Shelton commented
    June 17th, 2013 at 1:16pm

Lovely designs. I so love rooms where simple furniture enhances the room rather than clutters it! Home is where the heart is as it needs to be the place you love to be.