Books + Magazines

La Tartine Gourmade Book

April 10, 2012

I was so happy to learn that La Tartine Gourmade blogger Béatrice Peltre has a book out since February under the same name, La Tartine Gourmande, and though I don’t have a copy I’m sure it’s truly inspiring and delicious in every way. How could it not be? Béa is superfab. One look at her photos below and if you don’t already know her you will definitely want to…

La Tartine Gourmade Book

If you’re not familiar with Béa, she works out of her home studio as a blogger and freelance food writer, food stylist and photographer in Boston. I wish I had known about her before I moved away from Boston in 2009 as I would have enjoyed meeting up with Béa. I’m always keen on meeting stylists as I find their creative perspectives rich and interesting. Her work has been covered in a slew of great publications including The New York Times Dining Journal, Food and Wine, the Washington Post, Saveur, The Chicago Tribune and the Boston Globe along with a bevy of blogs. Just look at her work — my goodness, no wonder she’s so well known.

La Tartine Gourmade Book

La Tartine Gourmade Book

La Tartine Gourmade Book

La Tartine Gourmade Book

What I admire about Béa is how organic and artistic her work looks and feels. It seems to come very naturally to arrange her handmade creations onto pretty plates set against floral textiles with a sprig tossed here, a cracked shell there, a piece of crusty bread off to the side… I love the perfect little imperfections in her styling as that is very close to my own work and heart and what I admire more than the perfectly perfect styling that I see in lots of magazines where nothing feels casual and you know a ton of work, conversations and equipment went into a single image – and the photo almost feels watered down and uptight as a result. This isn’t the case here with Béa. Her photos do not feel labored over (though I’m guessing they are!) and that is a beautiful, delicate art – and to me, what makes a good stylist amazing, inspiring and one to follow.

La Tartine Gourmade Book

La Tartine Gourmade Book

La Tartine Gourmade Book

Again, this isn’t a book review as I don’t have the book (yet!) but if you are looking for gorgeous food, stories and recipes then visit La Tartine Gourmade, the book or the blog – and her blog just-so-happens to be the decor8 blog of the week so definitely check it out!

Nom nom!

(images: Béatrice Peltre)

You Might Also Like

67 Comments

• Reply cv love April 10, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Loving book!

• Reply Kristina April 10, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Absolutely beautiful! I have followed her blog for a few years and it is always so inspiring. Thank you for featuring this talented lady and her book.

• Reply Iva Y April 10, 2012 at 2:15 pm

This is a great example how fresh homemade (healthy) food can look SO beautiful! :)

Gorgeous pictures, thanks for sharing! I’ll be sure to check out her blog and her book :)

• Reply Rebecca April 10, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Yum! I’m drooling at the pics as well as the food! Such beautiful styling x

• Reply Tina Ramchandani April 10, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I can’t get over all the pattern and color in her food shots! Most food images I’ve seen have a simple background to let the food shine but her patterned background are not as distracting as I thought they would be. I can’t wait to see the book!

• Reply STYLIZIMO April 10, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Oh, my! How can we not love this? This girl sure knows how to make food looks extra tempting. I´d love to get a copy of her book so I can see more of this.

I hope you had a wonderful Easter, Holly.
    //Nina

• Reply salma April 10, 2012 at 3:01 pm

nice & pretty :)

• Reply Nic @ Yardage Design April 10, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I have the book and it s wonderful ~ not just the recipes but the words around them and, of course, the photography. Truly mouthwatering. Love everything La Tartine Gourmande!

• Reply KellyGreeny April 10, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Great photos! Love the use of brightly colored, flower patterned tablecloths. I feel like you don’t see that too often and it really works to compliment the colors of the bowls and food! I’ll have to check this book out!

• Reply Casa e Cose April 10, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I didnt know her blog: what warmth it gives of – if a blog can do that? Looked at her book on amazon and it does look great!
    I like the way her photos also has an everyday look to it: under the pie there is a fabric/ hand protecter ( dont know the name ), the radishes are in water as they should be etc etc. Looks like she is actually cooking and not only taking gorgeioius photos.

• Reply Antonina April 10, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Amazing photos!!! Looks wonderful!!

• Reply Erin M. April 10, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Love, love, Love La Tartine. Her book is great, not just a book based on a blog, but filled with more personal details about her upbringing in France and her approach to food on daily basis. Whenever anyone I know is looking to learn to cook and enjoy food more, I tell them that her site is the first one to visit.

• Reply Audrey - This Little Street April 10, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Funny, I just featured one of Bea’s recipes today on my blog :) Here: http://www.thislittlestreet.com/blog/2012/04/10/live-here-eat-that-modern-vintage/ It’s a small town we live in ;)

I love her work, I need to get my hands on her book!

• Reply snur April 10, 2012 at 8:35 pm

so adorable photos.. so much inspiring..

• Reply Alison Gibb April 10, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Wow…thank goodness I have just had supper – otherwise I might be fainting with hunger by now!

• Reply Rona April 10, 2012 at 10:25 pm

What stunning and uplifting images in your blog post today Holly…I especially love the complementary and clashing floral backgrounds which Béatrice has used!

• Reply decor8 April 11, 2012 at 12:43 am

@Rona: Thank you! How are you doing? We are in a magazine together, did that make you smile too?

• Reply Lauren April 10, 2012 at 11:06 pm

i love colorful food!!!! and usually colorful food means really healthy food. these photos are stunning

• Reply Patti Trostle April 11, 2012 at 12:19 am

You are right. She has made the food look not only good to eat, but the photo’s are wonderful!!

• Reply Sarah April 11, 2012 at 12:51 am

Looks really LOVELY Holly, I love the photos and you are right, it looks so ‘casual.’ Thanks for the tip, I will look for the book! ;-))

• Reply Jennifer Carroll April 11, 2012 at 12:59 am

Stunning, stunning, stunning! Holly, yet again you have taken me down the rabbit hole and into a wonderful dream world by way of Bea’s blog. I agree the imperfection of her photos are what make them perfect! They are snapshots of a live being lived – a story in process…. dreamy & delightful! Thank you so, so much!

• Reply Sari April 11, 2012 at 8:45 am

Lovely images!
    They make me hungry and want new table cloths :)

Thanks for sharing!
    Love, Sari

• Reply ELENA April 11, 2012 at 11:05 am

Now i have to go cook!It is inspiring book! :)

• Reply Daniel - Let me be inspired April 11, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Hi, wonderful pictures!! I get sooo hungry =) Have a great day!!

• Reply Tracy A. April 11, 2012 at 1:58 pm

What lovely visuals! I have only recently discovered the enjoyment of root vegetables – so her shots are quite inspiring!

• Reply heckety April 11, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Even if I didn’t cook or eat I’d want these photographs hanging on my kitchen wall- even the photography is good enough to eat. And yes, the fresh, uncluttered food looks delicious, and I am NOT a foodie!

• Reply Sandra April 11, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Her little quirky details in each shot are perfect. The glittery something in the bowl of carrots, the unironed blue fabric with creases. And the lighting is perfection. It’s your colour palette too Holly!

You’ve introduced me to do many great food photographers and stylists – so much inspiration to learn more…

• Reply Pink Ronnie April 11, 2012 at 2:53 pm

These photos have taken my breath away. Stunning work.
    Ronnie xo

• Reply Phils Richard April 11, 2012 at 3:53 pm

You surely have a sense of dining art. I love the colors of the photos. Well-captured. Who taught you to be so creative? Is it inborn or learned? Keep sharing your talent.

-Phils

• Reply Joyce April 11, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I just bought this book and find it so inspiring. Most of the recipes are gluten free, which isn’t immediately obvious. I just learned my daughter and I have celiac, so it’s great to find a book that promotes healthy eating in such a positive (and beautiful!) way. The photography is stunning.

• Reply Maria @ All Things Luxurious April 11, 2012 at 5:11 pm

What beautiful photos! Wow. They are so bright and cheery, and the food looks delicious. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Lindsay at Bliss & Whimsy April 11, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Beautiful!! I am loving the styling in her photos. So inspiring. Total eye candy! Can’t wait to see more…

• Reply parisbreakfast April 12, 2012 at 12:07 am

Exquisite work!
    merci Carolg

• Reply Carmen April 12, 2012 at 5:17 am

La Tartine Gourmade newly heard to me. But I found it interesting, the picture makes my mouth watery.

• Reply CHIARA STELLA HOME April 12, 2012 at 11:00 am

Delicious photos! very fresh for this starting spring! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Liz April 12, 2012 at 11:38 am

The post made me hungry. I love eat colored foods, it was pretty attractive to me. Thanks that you’ve posted.

• Reply Jennifer April 12, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Is that a radish? It was a cute one. I think it tastes delicious. Please keep posting such interesting post like this.

• Reply kiki April 12, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Thanx, Holly for showing this wonderful pictures!!!
    Of course I will visit her blog, it looks so yummy!
    Kiki

• Reply tiffany April 12, 2012 at 9:28 pm

what a lovely post! la tartine gourmande is one of my favorite blogs and i also own the book! too intimidated to make anything just yet, but i wanted to say that it’s a phenomenal cookbook – the explanations of the ingredients and tools are very good. my favorite part? EACH recipe has a picture! love love love.

• Reply Andreia April 13, 2012 at 11:44 am

It’s great to have you back Holly!

“La Tartine Gourmande” is definitely a ‘must have’, thanks for sharing it with us.

Can’t wait to know more about your new book too!

Wish you a wonderful week!

• Reply lorena April 13, 2012 at 3:16 pm

lovely recipes! love the tablecloths that she uses…

• Reply nathalie April 13, 2012 at 5:41 pm

i hope Béatrice’s book will be translated in French (like yours :) as it makes a gorgeous gift for family and friends in France …

• Reply Eva April 14, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Fabulous!!!!

• Reply Lim Seng April 15, 2012 at 8:56 am

Very interesting. Nice picture!

• Reply Glenda Childers April 15, 2012 at 11:04 am

The spring-like nature of her photos is so refreshing.

• Reply Kathryn Cumming April 16, 2012 at 8:19 am

So gorgeous and colourful.

You are right, the relaxed and casual feel about these photos is so much nicer then ‘perfect’ styling.

• Reply Pamela April 16, 2012 at 8:46 am

What a delicious recipe..I love it thanks for sharing..I cant wait to try..

• Reply Petriina April 16, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Thanks, lovely lovely pics! Delicious!

• Reply Shabby Chic April 16, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Looks like an amazing book/blog. I love the colour and composition of the photo’s.

• Reply TheAvarice April 17, 2012 at 1:40 am

My goodness. This brings new meaning to a feast for the eyes. I am loving these photos and I can’t wait to try her recipes. Thank you so much for sharing!!!

• Reply Laura Trevey April 17, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Judging by these photos, the book MUST be amazing!! I have that Anthropologie bowl too and love it ~ great post and thanks for the tip on this book. It would be a great present for Mother’s Day :)

• Reply melly April 17, 2012 at 3:54 pm

The photos are stunning! I love how they are so vibrant and colorful. I wonder what camera she uses! And oh, I haven’t seen her blog yet but I will surely follow her after this.

Thanks for sharing!

-Melly

• Reply Chelsea April 17, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I am not familiar with Bea but she, as well as her book sounds really interesting and delectable respectively. If you have other infos and updates, would you please share it with us?

Really great post Thank you!
    -Chelsea

• Reply Monica April 17, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Super nice photos!!! Thanks for sharing, didn’t know about her.

• Reply Reem | Simply Reem April 17, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I just bought this book… Amazing!!!
    I love Bea photography and food and this book is a like a treasure from her…

• Reply Kelly @ Studio DIY April 17, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Was just flipping through this book at the store the other day, it’s absolutely gorgeous! Food photography + styling at it’s finest!

• Reply Shyamala April 17, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Dear Holly,

yes her blog is lovely isnt it? I have been following her blog for a few years and her pictures and recipes are so inspiring..

BTW I was at the doctors earlier today and finished scouring 3 copies of Schönes Wohnen in the waiting room in the 90 odd minutes that I had to wait. And was very pleasantly surprised to see ur interview in the March issue (I think it is March). Very nice Holly!

:- )
    Shyamala

• Reply Erin April 18, 2012 at 1:48 am

Who knew food coud look so perfect in pictures! I love the colors used! Looks to perfect to eat

xoxo

• Reply Linda Brown April 18, 2012 at 2:11 am

The photos were fantastic. I was thinking of a nice birthday gift for myself, and I think that I have decided to give myself the book. Do you know where can I purchase it, better if I can online. Thanks for sharing this!

Cheers,
    Linda

• Reply Inés April 18, 2012 at 9:20 am

ABSOLUTE GREAT, THE PICS LOOKS LIKE A FAIRY TALE. IT IS ABSOLUT LOVELY.

• Reply Butterfly Lane April 18, 2012 at 1:41 pm

What incredible photography, just summer and sunshine in an image!

• Reply Susanne April 18, 2012 at 6:46 pm

hi holly, your real smile is even more wonderful :-) – thank you for your kind words on the market. enjoy the spring evening! susanne

• Reply Julia A. April 19, 2012 at 12:09 am

As I looked at all of the pictures, I just kept thinking…*sigh* I’d love to be invited to where ever THAT is for brunch.
    Beautiful!

• Reply trish April 19, 2012 at 4:12 pm

picture say a thousand words. great pics and very inspiring for springtime.
    love that anthro bowl!!!

• Reply Lauren April 19, 2012 at 5:18 pm

What breathtaking pictures! This just made me want to head straight to the kitchen with my camera and some fabric and see what I can make!

• Reply Chelsea April 23, 2012 at 8:20 am

Delectable dishes for the whole family! I don’t know Béatrice Peltre but i would love to hear more about her and enjoy her dishes. Can you please post more pictures?

Thanks for sharing this!
    Regards!

• Reply Elizabeth May 11, 2012 at 10:20 pm

I have the book and it is AWE inspiring. The little stories that accompany each recipe make you happy to live life – and affirmation that the human connection to food is what makes it worth eating.