Julia Bostock Photography

I recently received a most lovely friend request on Facebook from London-based photographer Julia Bostock. Have you heard of her before? When I clicked over to her website to view her portfolio I was captivated by the things that I saw.

Julia Bostock Photography

Julia has an incredibly sensitive eye when she shoots, from the way she captures light so softly to how natural the children look that she shoots (never stiff or catalog-y), I am really keen on her work and wanted to point you over to this talented photographer today. Though her work is primarily based on children and lifestyle, I couldn’t help but think it fits decor8 nicely given the moods of those I’ve selected as some of my very favorites. I hope that you enjoy them too.

Julia Bostock Photography

Julia Bostock Photography

It’s nice to see how the pros are photographing children these days, isn’t it? There are so many variations, some approach it very naturally while others meticulously pose their subjects perfectly. I imagine those of you out there who are mothers have already found your photographic style when it comes to taking shots of your little ones. What is your style when shooting? Have you ever given it much thought? Are you children often posing or looking into the lens or do you tend to sneak up on them and catch moments as they occur, when the child is playing or dancing around – perhaps without even noticing that you are there capturing their very special magic?

I often wonder how I’ll photograph my future kids and I imagine most likely like I style interiors – with a very spontaneous, casual approach without a great deal of planning. I like to capture the moment as it is and not go through a lot to ‘create’ the moment. It’s interesting to think about though, isn’t it?

Have a lovely few hours, I’ll be back a bit later today with a few more posts before the weekend! xo, Holly

(images: julia bostock with permission)

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on April 20, 2012

1. tinajo commented
    April 20th, 2012 at 4:17pm

I do both actually, it depends on the situation. I do love to see children in photos, it adds such softness. :-)
    tinajo´s last blog post ..Amazing is what you are!

2. Kate @ Songs Kate Sang commented
    April 20th, 2012 at 5:04pm

I like to set up scenes where the children are in one spot so that I can photograph easily, but they feel free to move about and act naturally.

Her photography is absolutely stunning!
    Kate @ Songs Kate Sang´s last blog post ..Quietly…

3. Elodie Love commented
    April 20th, 2012 at 5:39pm

I really like the composition of the photos. They look like paintings.

4. Alexis commented
    April 20th, 2012 at 5:50pm

The photo with the little girl wearing the really long scarf is amazing. I don’t know what it is, but it just made me eternally happy.
    Alexis´s last blog post ..Week in Review

5. Heather B commented
    April 20th, 2012 at 9:32pm

I like a photographer to catch my kids doing what they do. Overly posed looks unnatural. I’m learning photography but I’m terrible at photographing kids. You need lightening reflexes. I get a lot of child-shaped blurs. Julia’s photo’s are lovely! I really like the little girl who is writing, she obviously has something VERY important to write :-)
    Heather B´s last blog post ..Thrift-Store Landscape Re-vamp

6. Chrystina commented
    April 22nd, 2012 at 12:57am

I love the way she cuts the frame of the pictures. Also, yes, she does an excellent job capturing children – and their faces a precious. It’s been a long time since I’ve taken pictures – when I did an independent study on photography in high school I discovered I take a lot of pictures that have a geometrical basis. For example, ladders – I love all the straight lines. I’m currently working on finding my photography style again. In order to do this I need to pick up a camera more often. One thing I’ve always wanted to get good at is portrait shots. I guess practice makes perfect though, huh?

7. decofairy commented
    April 22nd, 2012 at 7:43am

…adorable photos. I like her “clear” view :-)

8. Sandra commented
    April 22nd, 2012 at 6:48pm

I do both. I love catching my girl by surprise when she is engrossed in something and I love having her pose too. I find that I have had success with both in getting a more natural look. Of course I get that crazy six year old fake smiley face! But just sometimes.

It actually drives my husband crazy because I can get her to be more natural and relaxed than he can. I think that it might be that mommy bond – something about it allows me to capture her in different ways than he can. Who knows? Whatever it is, it works. And it’s fun to have a willing subject.

It’s all about the story telling, right? And thanks so much for all your posts about photographers – love the intro to people I have not yet seen and the inspiration to be a better photographer myself.
    Sandra´s last blog post ..It’s Friday and I am errand girl today

9. Becks commented
    April 24th, 2012 at 10:52am

I definitely do the sneak up style, capturing what my baby is doing and his genuine smile.

10. Lindsay commented
    April 27th, 2012 at 7:52pm

I love taking pictures of my daughter when she’s in the middle of a precious moment! Candid photos are the best because it captures someone’s personality in such a fun way. It’s real and pure emotion.

Lindsay´s last blog post ..The Biggest Sigh of Relief