My Happy Place (on Tumblr via Instagram)

Hello everyone and happy Monday to you! I’m not so keen on Mondays but I thought to inspire myself this morning that I would drink a few cups of Mate tea for energy and then snap some photos around my home and work studio using the Instagram app on my iPhone to push me in a positive direction. Taking a few photos never ceases to get me going — and Instagram makes it so easy that I’m using it more and more to capture stills of my life to not only share with others looking for inspiration but to, at times, inspire ME and to serve as motivation. Have you ever tried it? For me, it really works! Here are some views from my morning and a few snaps from my weekend.

Blogged today on decor8

If you want to follow me on Instagram (or Followgram on the web), you can simply look for ‘decor8′ and connect with me via the app OR if you don’t use Instagram that’s fine too because I post some of my better photos over on my Tumblr site, Happy Place. I’m not a big fan of Tumblr for posting others’ photos because rarely can you track the original source, but I made a pact with myself that if I only use it to share my Instagram photos, ones I’ve taken myself, that I could use it with a clear conscience.

I hope that you had a really nice weekend. I did some decor8-related work, went to an outdoor fair, walked for miles, caught up on some reading, had a friend over, watched a film and a few episodes of SMASH (oh my gosh the dreamy Brit!) cooked, bought a few bunches of flowers and did some work around the house. It was relaxing  – no stress – this is my motto for the weekend because we need a break don’t we?

What did you do this weekend? How do you inspire yourself on Monday mornings? I often wonder how you motivate yourself because sometimes it’s just so hard, isn’t it? Any creative routines or things in general that you do to motivate yourself to get your rear into gear??? :)

(images: holly becker)

Posted by decor8 in inspiration on April 30, 2012

1. Brooke H commented
    April 30th, 2012 at 1:44pm

I’m Instagram obsessed too! It makes it so easy to take beautiful little snapshots of your life. And I love the social aspect of seeing instapix from my friends around the globe, like you over in Germany. :) (That being said, fingers crossed FB buying them out doesn’t mean it will be ruined soon.)
    Brooke H´s last blog post ..Italy Textile Design

2. Regina commented
    April 30th, 2012 at 1:50pm

Today I am not lacking motivation its “Walpurgsinacht” Walpurgi’s night , the night of the witches. Of course I am motivated and thrilled – and tomorrow is the 1st of May, a day off, perfect day for a big family bbq (and testing our new bat snack recipe) – and besides, some routines, goals and highlights for the week and enough flexibility to meet what comes my way – and yes, some blog hopping helps as well.
    Have a great week,
    Regina
    Regina´s last blog post ..Bat Cookie Cutter "Ferdl"

3. Heather B commented
    April 30th, 2012 at 1:54pm

This weekend we tore out our circa 1973 kitchen linoleum and started cleaning out or basement because this Friday our dumpster arrives! It is EXTREMELY motivating because this is really our only shot at a dumpster. We’re tearing our living room out, most of the fireplace is coming out, and the bathroom is going too. I’m seeing a light at the end of the construction-zone house! I’m very motivated/excited this week! BTW, I’m loving your Tumblr site, you’re such a talented photographer!
    Heather B´s last blog post ..Variations on a Theme – Rainbows

4. Juliette commented
    April 30th, 2012 at 2:02pm

Motivation is definitely tough to create. I think 3 of the biggest helps for me are to:
    eliminate distractions (clean the house/workspace),
    create a realistic goal (break down the overall project),
    and inspire myself with a reward (no opening the box from Amazon until X is done!).

That said, Mondays seem to be serious foot-dragging days no matter what, right? I guess that’s a sign of having had a good weekend. =)
    Juliette´s last blog post ..29 Ways to Stay Creative

5. Kat commented
    April 30th, 2012 at 2:42pm

Hi Holly
    That’s such a good use for a Tumblr, I tend to pop mine onto Flickr too sometimes. I do live your instagram feed and like you I find it helps inspiration wise both to look around and share what I love at that moment and also to see others worlds.
    Love kat x
    Kat´s last blog post ..Kindgram – sharing kindness

6. Ashley {GirlyObsessions} commented
    April 30th, 2012 at 3:05pm

Holly, I’ve been thinking of starting a Tumblr page for my Instagram photos, and I think you’ve finally inspired me to do so! I signed up ages ago, but you know how it goes…I love your feed! Thanks for sharing :)
    Ashley {GirlyObsessions}´s last blog post ..Girly week in review.

7. Victoria Pichel commented
    April 30th, 2012 at 4:22pm

Hi Holly!

You drink mate? ha! that’s so nice… where did you get it? do you make it yourself? is it in bags like tea?

I’m from Argentina and mate is kind of the national drink here!
    I’d love to see pics of the mate you drink there :))

have a great week,
    Vix

8. Ariana commented
    April 30th, 2012 at 6:53pm

The best thing to refresh my inspiration and creativity is to do something or go somewhere completely unfamiliar. Routine gets me down after a while, while discovering something new absolutely makes me happy to be alive. This weekend, I discovered the absolute wonder of being able to drive onto a train to cross the English Channel over to France! We only spent 24 hours there, but it was so invigorating and inspiring. It doesn’t always have to be a new country, of course– just driving through the English countryside and taking photos is a really great and keeps me happy.
    Ariana´s last blog post ..A Quick Hop Across the Channel, and About Dreaming a Little

9. lebenslustiger commented
    April 30th, 2012 at 9:14pm

Isn’t SMASH the greatest show ever??? Love love LOVE it!
    lebenslustiger´s last blog post ..Spring Is Here!!!

10. lebenslustiger commented
    April 30th, 2012 at 11:36pm

Have you seen “Episodes” yet – also a great show with Brits…

11. Tania commented
    May 1st, 2012 at 8:21am

Instagram is my happy place too. It is funny what a kick one can get out of setting up an artistic shot of brightly colored sharpies and dry erase pens arranged in a circle for a “color” photo a day prompt. I stayed home this weekend and cleaned, I live in a dusty and windy area so it is quite a task to clean the floors, dust and microfiber every nook and cranny. I read quite a bit, tried to prepare my own meals and watched a season of “Damages” on my netflix streaming.
    Tania´s last blog post ..Four Things I’m Loving Now…

12. Alexandra commented
    May 1st, 2012 at 10:06am

Your Happy Place is indeed a happy place! Lovely!
    Alexandra´s last blog post ..Dreamy – FaB Keramik

13. Coco commented
    May 1st, 2012 at 1:48pm

Probably not helpful for you but my biggest inspiration is the internet. I always get motivated after a few rounds of blogs that I love, decor8blog is definitely one of them! <3

14. MUY CHULE commented
    May 1st, 2012 at 8:12pm

love it, great book!!!

15. iHanna commented
    May 2nd, 2012 at 4:32pm

I see instagraming everywhere these days, but I’m not there, so I think it’s great that you can and have created a feed for online browsing. THanks! I’ve done a week in the life project and I’m so happy about it!
    iHanna´s last blog post ..Starting to stitch without a plan

16. Chrystina commented
    May 8th, 2012 at 2:05am

My high school art teacher saw a shot that I took of my accessories going through airport security and told me that I should do a series of this shot – so take one every time I travel (usually twice a week), and that actually sort of made me smile on Monday mornings when I realized that even though I had to be up at 5am, I had an important picture that I needed to take.
    Chrystina´s last blog post ..a flower photoshoot