Moody Colors Make Me Happy

Something about these rose-patterned pillows entices me, especially the moody charcoal gray. I’ve been drawn toward a moody palette lately more and more (it started towards the beginning of 2011) and I’m not quite sure where my new leaning has spawned from but I’m willing to guess it all began at Liberty in London back in February of last year. I remember walking around that store all alone and suddenly ‘getting’ why I loved it in there so much – because it felt cozy and edgy while still being floral and colorful. Plus Liberty has amazing natural light and shadows during the day, the vibe in that shop really sets my creative wheels turning! Sadly, magazines haven’t inspired me lately but restaurants and retail spaces have so I’ve been out and about a lot with my inspiration radar set to ON.

Moody Colors

For some reason this Spring, I’m really feeling more moody, muddy, dark colors with bursts of energetic hues. I’m not so keen on only brights lately, they feel a bit hyped BUT I do like them mixed into a moody palette but not so much on their own. I know, this is coming from the queen of color and white! In fact, I’m going to paint my living room wall a very dark gray soon, it’s begging me to and I’m going to listen. For instance, check out that very grown up gray rose pillow above (which I would love for my sofa!)… I’d make drapes for my living room in the same pattern and use a neon pink curtain rod to add some energy. Fun! The pillows are from a Swedish creative studio called G. Bruce Design and the collection is Purété Blanc inspired by the French countryside. The motif began as a watercolor painting by graphic designer Gunilla Bruce and then printed onto linen. I think it’s really pretty!

Moody Colors

I really like this styled shot above from Gunilla’s website. Again, moody, imperfect, lovely. I’m loving this look!

(image: gunilla bruce)

Posted by decor8 in textiles on May 03, 2012

1. Coco commented
    May 3rd, 2012 at 1:39pm

I love the turquoise and purple tiles, these are exactly the colors i’m working with in my own home right now. I don’t like really bright colors at all but not to muddy/moody too… something in between I guess. I do have a hard time to find objects in these colors, especially purple: its either REALLY bright and purple looking or it almost looks like pink instead of purple.

2. Gretchen commented
    May 3rd, 2012 at 2:18pm

I adore all shades of aqua, turquoise, and greys. I love decorating and designing using colors that are “chalky”. Now what I wear is a different story. I love big and bold jewelry, and printed dresses and skirts! And I adore all the colored skinny jeans that are out right now!!
    Gretchen´s last blog post ..Spring Fashion Show Sneak Peek

3. Ría commented
    May 3rd, 2012 at 2:40pm

Those prints take me to my summers at my grandma’s house at the beach.

4. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    May 4th, 2012 at 4:31pm

Gorgeous….loving those colors. So calm & serene to me….
    xo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Closer to home

5. Jules commented
    May 5th, 2012 at 12:19am

This is absolutely my style! I have a moody blue vintage Chesterfield, lots of old brass, a wonderful gray paint on the walls (that took me over 30 samples to find thanks to lighting issues), some cognac/rust, and bright vibrant greens in the form of plants for brightness.

I love bright and happy colors, but muddy colors are what I am drawn to and what I know how to work with. I can’t wait to see what you do with these colors…I’m sure I’ll love it.

6. Alexandra commented
    May 6th, 2012 at 11:27am

I love moody colours and their subtle magic too! Their hint of earthiness grounds me. Your description of your Liberty experience is awesome. I could really see and feel it! :)

7. Chrystina commented
    May 9th, 2012 at 8:09am

It’s the same reason why songs written in minor keys are so awesome, because sometimes you just feel moody.

(Clearly you were talking about music here…)
    Chrystina´s last blog post ..when social media collides and blows your mind