Books + Magazines

What Liberty Ate: Issue Two

May 6, 2012

Prepare to feast your eyes! Last year I announced the launch of What Liberty Ate, a gorgeous digital magazine based in Romania founded by talented blogger and foodie Gabriela Iancu. Today she has released issue two and I simply had to pop in on a Sunday to bring this inspiring issue to you because I know you’ll enjoy it. Gabriela brings heaps of passion and love for cooking into this magazine that you can’t help but fall in love. Together with her contributors who are based all over the world, this magazine has a genuineness to it that I appreciate so much. Here are a few of my favorites below – from the layouts to the interviews and recipes, it’s altogether yummy!

What Liberty Ate: Issue Two

What Liberty Ate: Issue Two

I love this understated spread, no photos, just a gorgeous smattering of pink watercolor. It’s a really nice visual break.

What Liberty Ate: Issue Two

An interview with food blogger Aran Goyoaga.

What Liberty Ate: Issue Two

What Liberty Ate: Issue TwoThe array of type in this magazine is gorgeous.

What Liberty Ate: Issue Two

“Criticism, like rain, should be gentle enough to nourish a man’s growth without destroying his roots”. – Frank Howard Clark. So true!

What Liberty Ate: Issue Two

An interview with food blogger and now book author, Béatrice Peltre.

What Liberty Ate: Issue Two

What Liberty Ate: Issue Two

“In the second issue you can read gorgeous interviews with Aran Goyoaga and Béatrice Peltre and you will find here affordable recipes with focus on seasonal ingredients and inspiring photography with emphasis on home feeling. Equally, you will discover enthusiastic Romanian food blogs, such as Just love Cookin’, Alison’s trials, Gatherings of the World, and their vision about food and photography. We also featured a wonderful haute couture house found in Bucharest by the curious team of Designist. The art and joy of the perfect tea has been presented to us by Miss Babacilu, a costume jewelry designer.” Great job Gabriela, nicely done and so inspiring for all!

(images: what liberty ate)

You Might Also Like

27 Comments

• Reply Mina May 6, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I just love the relaxed and simple feel of this magazine. It’s so classy and elegant. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Gabriela {What Liberty Ate} May 6, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Thank you Holly, for this amazing feature! I hope, you all will enjoy this issue, as it was made with so much love and passion. Have a wonderful Sunday!

• Reply Yolonda May 6, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Delicious! Everything looks tasty + I ? the Clark quote.

• Reply Tracy A. May 6, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Gorgeous! You always bring such wonderful things to my attention!

• Reply argone May 6, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I love this magazine !!! so inspiring … thank you :-)

• Reply Karena May 6, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Holly how wonderfully artistic, thank you so so much!!

I have featured an Interview on my site with Tina from The Enchanted Home…

xoxo
    Karena

Art by Karena

• Reply Lori May 6, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Gorgeous styling and photographs! So easy on the eyes…

• Reply Callie Grayson May 6, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Holly,
    Thank you, you always find the most inspirational places…. Can’t wait to gobble up the second issue! The photos are amazing
    xx
    Callie

• Reply Ría May 6, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I can’t wait to read it. The pictures look so good.

• Reply Anuszka May 6, 2012 at 6:45 pm

What a great rainbow cake!

• Reply Inés May 6, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Love it!…gorgeous styling, very relaxed!

Have the best Sunday!

Big hugs!
    Inés

• Reply Jenni @ Jarfly May 6, 2012 at 9:07 pm

That rainbow cake is so fun! Keeping that one in mind for the future!

• Reply caroline trend-daily May 6, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Such beautiful styling and photography_what a stunning issue. Thanks so much for sharing.

• Reply Amber May 7, 2012 at 3:36 am

Wow, amazing! Such beautiful photography… So glad to have discovered it through here :) Thanks for sharing it!

• Reply shanon May 7, 2012 at 5:03 am

Holy moly! Wow. Lovely.

• Reply Shane May 7, 2012 at 6:08 am

Yes I do agree that the photos are just so gorgeous. They look so great and look so delicious. When will this magazine be released internationally? Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Laura Driha May 7, 2012 at 7:43 am

Hihi, I was so surprised to find “MUCENICI” in my daily mail from you! Gabriela Iancu is such a great “food lover”, you’ll adore her!
    We have great food here in Romania! You should try it!!

• Reply Everpretty May 7, 2012 at 7:45 am

Oh this is beautiful, I want to get out my own watercolors now.

• Reply Gabriela {What Liberty Ate} May 7, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Thank you everyone for this amazing feedback. I am so happy to find out your wonderful thoughts about this new issue.

@Shane – currently I’m publishing the magazine both in English and Romanian, both version being available online, world wide, free of charge. I do think to make the magazine in print for future, at this point, though, you can read it just online.

• Reply Sandra May 7, 2012 at 2:38 pm

More gorgeous and inspiring food styling and photography. Thank you for this! I wish that I could hop out of bed this morning and cook and photograph. I will, it’ll just be a few spots down on the list once my family is roused and fed and watered and dressed and I have walked them to school on this lovely sunny day!

• Reply dervla @ The Curator May 7, 2012 at 10:57 pm

thank you for featuring this, what a gorgeous digital magazine and blog. I’m loving all the options out there nowadays.

• Reply Kate @ Songs Kate Sang May 8, 2012 at 1:50 am

Oh how lovely! Thank you for sharing this beautiful digital magazine with us. The pictures are truly inspiring.

• Reply Ellen Crimi-Trent May 9, 2012 at 5:51 pm

your killing me with all this tasty food- FYI I am making a rainbow cake for my little guys bday- I cannot wait- its going to be so much fun!

• Reply decor8 May 12, 2012 at 2:16 pm

@Jen Causey – Hi!!! How are you? It’s been awhile and I hope that you are well. I don’t think What Liberty Ate is a direct copy of What Katie Ate or else I wouldn’t have blogged about it because I don’t seek to support copycats.Katie is in a league of her own. I see tons of people out there with a similar aesthetic but are doing their own thing really well in their own right. As for the name, I’ll give you that, it is a bit too close for comfort but I never noticed it until you pointed it out.

• Reply April, Everyday Forgotten May 10, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Oh wow! Thanks so much for sharing this. I am in food heaven right now after browsing through this haha!

• Reply Gabriela {What Liberty Ate} May 12, 2012 at 2:54 pm

@Holly – Hi! You pointed out very well the differences, thank you. As I have already told to Jen Causey on Twitter, the names are far away from being similar. It might seem because of the association of the words, to be similar, but the meaning is different, and the people who are reading my blog and have seen my work know that we are completely different styles. The name of my blog is supporting the concept of freedom and it’s going into a totally different direction than Katie’s. It has also a tag line which is completing the name by “raspberries and chocolate”. We are both speaking about food and taking photographs, but again, this is not a sign of similitude. Moreover, I feel is quite unfair from Jen’s part to make such statements, before really checking what’s behind all this work. Otherwise, I think we can name here a few other pretty popular food blogs which are using Katie’s style (meaning : fonts, making magazines, photo style, etc., etc.), but no one is judging them, because their blog names happen just not be using words as “what” and “ate”. Thank you

• Reply decor8 May 12, 2012 at 10:19 pm

@Gabriela – Hello! Thank you for your comment!

I wish bloggers would talk to eachother through private email and less “through” blog comments and publicly…. It seems so counterproductive and puts me, who was only trying to do good, in the middle and I don’t want to be.