Artist Masanobu Hiraoka

When I spotted these videos from Japanese artist Masanobu Hiraoka I was completely and utterly taken. What a beautiful display of art and music, so sensitive and colorful, deep yet light… What talent! Take a look at them please and see what you think..

What I find so inspiring about Masanobu is that this all comes completely natural and he learns on his own… He hasn’t attended college showing that oftentimes our passion and talent needs no formal education but simply a will to follow through with our heart’s desires.Sometimes we get stuck thinking we have to go back to school to pursue what we want so there is something on “paper” but not always…

A little more about his background can be found at Je Regarde, a French studio who reps his work, “Masanobu graduated from Momoyama high school (general education) in 2006. He then started to work but could not give up his dream : being an animator. He started to learn animation by himself and is a completely self-educated artist. He now lives and works in Tokyo as a free-lance animator in advertising or music video for clients such as UNIQLO. Next to this, he creates his own animations based on metamorphosis and strange or impossible motions he sets up in an unlikely reality.”

How do these videos make you feel? What do they mean to you?

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts on May 21, 2012

1. Adriana Willsie commented
    May 21st, 2012 at 4:54pm

Wow, these are truly haunting. I feel like they’re the most wonderful example of what a freed mind can imagine. I can just picture the artist staring at a blank piece of paper and asking, “What if…?” and “Why not…?” I’m definitely going to go check out more of his work. Thanks for sharing this!
    Adriana Willsie´s last blog post ..Can money buy you happiness? Yes, if you let it

2. tinajo commented
    May 21st, 2012 at 5:10pm

Oh my, I love these! Thanks for sharing them! :-)
    tinajo´s last blog post ..Stamp art!

3. Ría commented
    May 21st, 2012 at 10:26pm

Amazing job.
    Ría´s last blog post ..News.

4. kityan commented
    May 21st, 2012 at 11:03pm

Thanks for sharing the videos, it is absolutely amazing — the second one reminded me of Fantastic Planet from the 70s — the moving images sucks you into a dreamlike state that is very memorizing. I like it very much, thank you again for sharing!

5. Meghan Oona Clifford commented
    May 22nd, 2012 at 2:48am

Wonderful! The figure coming out of the tree stump reminds me of a vision I had whilst living up in the PNW. I stood on an old stump and could feel the “ghost” tree spirit linger. This brought me right back to that moment. Great find, thank you! :)

6. yemi commented
    May 22nd, 2012 at 5:34am

An astounding animation. Totally unique and creative. Thanks for sharing this!

7. Kate @ Songs Kate Sang commented
    May 22nd, 2012 at 5:56am

I love them. I started to think about what they meant to me… then, I just sat back and enjoyed them. :)
    Kate @ Songs Kate Sang´s last blog post ..Sunday Screensaver

8. Amberly commented
    May 22nd, 2012 at 8:10am

I’ve never seen anything like this before – wow! He definitely has a unique imagination, so I am glad that he chose to pursue his passion! I agree with Adriana – these videos are haunting, and I believe much of that feeling has to do with the music.

Most of all, I like the idea of self-motivation and self-teaching to fulfill a dream. :)

Thanks for sharing, hope your week is off to a good start!

~Amberly
    Amberly´s last blog post ..Week 20: Don’t Miss ‘Ems!

9. Grace commented
    May 22nd, 2012 at 1:10pm

thats so creative!

10. Ana commented
    May 22nd, 2012 at 2:11pm

LOVE these videos!!! Delightful, wonderful, and the colors…

11. Ninotchka commented
    May 22nd, 2012 at 3:31pm

Wow.These are fantastic. Thanks so much for posting!

12. Neethi commented
    May 23rd, 2012 at 7:21am

Hi Holly,

Sadly I could not view the video..Its says blocked :-( “Access to this site has been blocked as per Court Orders” …!!

13. Burl commented
    June 18th, 2012 at 3:21pm

A talent is innate and doesn’t need to be learned. That is what I’m learning from him and all his beautiful masterpieces.

14. Susan commented
    August 3rd, 2012 at 9:31pm

Amazing! You wonder how he even sleeps at night!
    Susan´s last blog post ..Fun with Books!