Shopgirl Visits Koskela in Sydney

Welcome to the first Shopgirl Visits column. My name is Jillian Leiboff, and I’m a photographer based in Sydney Australia. For the past 8 years I’ve been working part time as a photographer and whilst I started out shooting weddings, 3 years ago I started shooting shops and food for my blog.

Shopgirl Visits: Koskela

I thought Holly’s readers might be interested in seeing some of the shops I shot, so in June 2009 I reached out to her and she liked what she saw. After that, I started randomly submitting my images to decor8 with my first recap being of the delightful Donna Hay store in Sydney. Holly has held a longtime love affair and fascination with Australian art & design but like most of you, isn’t able to hop on a plane whenever she wants to go see it for herself. Showing it on decor8 is the next best thing and that’s what I can do since I’m based down here though like love to travel so you may see the random post pop up from my travels abroad. You may remember seeing some of my images of the iconic Parisian store Merci on decor8, for instance. If not, I’ll list at the end of this post all of the stores that I’ve photographed which have appeared on decor8 in the past so you can catch up! Please take a look!

A few months ago I was delighted when Holly asked if I’d like to write a monthly column for decor8 called Shopgirl Visits. I was so excited I immediately began making a list of all the places I wanted to share with you. Each month I’ll be showing you shops (and the occasional artist studio, market and cafe where things can be purchased) that appeal to me and I hope to you. I’m always happy to get feedback so your suggestions are welcome.

Shopgirl Visits: Koskela

For the first Shopgirl Visits column I’ve chosen the Sydney store, Koskela. Koskela is owned by Russel Koskela and Sasha Titchkosky and their company designs and produces some of the beautiful furniture you see here. Koskela’s motto is, “Follow your heart, trust your judgment, do it with joy”. It governs how they run their business and the types of people they work with and represent.

Shopgirl Visits: Koskela

Shopgirl Visits: Koskela

Koskela is one of the few stores in Australia that focuses on Australian designed and made products with a hand crafted element. Koskela stocks a collection of Australian made furniture, home wares, books and artwork for both adults and children. They recently moved from their premises in Surry Hills into a brand new showroom in Rosebery. As well as the showroom, the building is home to Kitchen by Mike, probably the most popular eatery in Sydney – you can see and learn more about Kitchen By Mike in the video below…

Shopgirl Visits: Koskela

Shopgirl Visits: Koskela

Shopgirl Visits: Koskela

Shopgirl Visits: Koskela

The shop is housed in a former canning factory and it’s a huge light-filled space where many of the original warehouse features have been left intact. Koskela also has a gallery space and a workshop where people can learn new skills or crafts. Some of the best of Australian design is represented here and I particularly loved the children’s area. I was sorely tempted by some of the cute lights on display and was trying to think of a compelling reason to take one home with me.

“Follow your heart, trust your judgment, do it with joy”

I couldn’t think of a better way to spend a Sunday morning than having breakfast at Kitchen by Mike followed by a browse through Koskela. You can find Koskela at 1/85 Dunning Avenue Rosebery, Sydney. See you all again next month and don’t forget to check out all of my shop posts on decor8 listed below! – Jillian

Donna Hay General Store, Black & Spiro, Bison, ici et la, Empire Vintage, Studio of Ceramicist Samantha Robinson, Anthropologie (London), Merci (Paris), Albion (London), Miljo, The Finders Keepers Market, Cotton Love Home, davidmetnicole, Mud Australia and Astier de Villatte (Paris).

(photos: jillian leiboff with store permission)

Posted by decor8 in Shopgirl Visits, shopping, travel on May 21, 2012

1. Monsterscircus commented
    May 21st, 2012 at 5:06pm

What a store and what a selections of products! I could really live in that store! Have a wonderfull day!

2. Laura James Jewelry commented
    May 21st, 2012 at 5:30pm

Love everything about this truly inspired, artistic, and creative space!

3. silke commented
    May 21st, 2012 at 6:15pm

thank your for these awesome insights and the short journey – right away from my office – desk!
    silke´s last blog post ..heute – eier natürlich

4. lebenslustiger commented
    May 21st, 2012 at 8:06pm

Oh how great! Thanks so much for taking me to Australia and to all these other wonderful and inspiring shops… love the pictures!
    lebenslustiger´s last blog post ..Mantra Meaning And Musing Part 2

5. Ría commented
    May 21st, 2012 at 10:27pm

Amazing place!
    Ría´s last blog post ..News.

6. Kate commented
    May 21st, 2012 at 10:30pm

Jillian, I have read all of your delicious posts on decor8 and you never fail to inspire me. In fact your wonderful photographs inspired a visit to Merci last year, I absolutely loved it! I really love your photographs of Koskela and think the way you have presented them with the colourful circles echoing the circles and colour in the artwork is beautiful. Thank you for brightening up a very average day, tomorrow I am going to going to get out my camera and experiment!
    Kate´s last blog post ..Some new friends x

7. ChristinaInAustralia commented
    May 22nd, 2012 at 2:16am

Fantastic! What a beautiful post. Keep them coming.

I’ll be in Sydney from Friday and haven’t booked the trip back yet, so popping in there on Sunday morning is a possibility.

8. Desha commented
    May 22nd, 2012 at 4:22am

Welcome Jillian. I’m a big fan of decor8 and look forward to seeing more of your lovely photography. I love seeing interiors of shops and studios all over the world. xo Desha
    Desha´s last blog post ..Kokuun’s New Studio Space & Photo Shoot

9. Rosalind commented
    May 22nd, 2012 at 5:19am

Fabulous, good for you Jillian! Look forward to seeing more of your photos in this space.
    Rosalind´s last blog post ..Wiksten Tova

10. yemi commented
    May 22nd, 2012 at 5:43am

Thank you for sharing these amazing selections of products.

11. Kate @ Songs Kate Sang commented
    May 22nd, 2012 at 6:00am

Congratulations! I am very much looking forward to your column!
    Kate @ Songs Kate Sang´s last blog post ..Sunday Screensaver

12. Designhunter commented
    May 22nd, 2012 at 8:04am

Koskela is an awesome store, great post :)))
    Designhunter´s last blog post ..A warm and vibrant interior for designers own home

13. Designhunter commented
    May 22nd, 2012 at 8:08am

Koskela is an awesome store – thanks for the great post :))

14. Em commented
    May 22nd, 2012 at 10:09am

Great choice of shop! I can’t believe you failed to include photos of the bathrooms! Industrial chic at its finest.

15. Jillian Leiboff commented
    May 22nd, 2012 at 12:54pm

Thanks for the lovely comments. There’ll be some more photos of Koskela on my blog some time next week. Meanwhile, I’m looking forward to sharing more places with you over the coming months.

16. Jacqueline commented
    May 23rd, 2012 at 10:06am

Koskela is my most favourite design store! :D
    Great post!
    Jacqueline´s last blog post ..Whimsy Milieu at the Finders Keepers Market!

17. CapreeK commented
    May 30th, 2012 at 11:16pm

You forgot to mention that all those awesome screen prints in there are by Kate Banazi! She’s pretty much the best. :)

18. jillian commented
    May 31st, 2012 at 12:08am

Hi,

thanks for letting me know about Kate. More photos of Koskela up on my blog today,

J
    jillian´s last blog post ..koskela – shopshoot

19. Louise commented
    August 3rd, 2012 at 1:08pm

I need to get to this place. I have heard and now seen great things. High up on my to do list.