Rooms

Bedroom: Project Redecorate!

July 25, 2012

I’ve decided that I’m going to redecorate my bedroom. It really needs a facelift but also the energy in the space needs to change. One important element that I added a few weeks ago was a new Bose sound system which has made an amazing difference to the overall mood in the space because it sounds super amazing and is so compact. It went from feeling a bit empty to warm and cozy in the single click of a remote. I’m streaming my favorite tunes in from the various internet radio stations that I love and cranking up tunes from my playlist.

Bedroom: Project Redecorate!
via Ignite Light

At night, I’m listening to old school R&B, jazz, and lots of relaxing chill out stuff. The result is that I’m sleeping better and waking up feeling ready for the day – the music is helping the spirit of the space in major ways. I needed the room to feel better. I don’t know, up until now it’s always felt a bit like a lonely room in the back of the house since our floor plan has all of the rooms with “life” – the kitchen, dining, my work rooms, balcony, living room, entry, etc. positioned in the front and the bedrooms are in the back where it’s not as sunny and as the result, the lack of light and life, really has affected how I feel in the space. My goal is to make my bedroom a sanctuary so that it matches the rest of the house. Then I’ll begin decorating my guest bedroom, another neglected space that definitely needs a little help.

Bedroom: Project Redecorate!

via tages anzeiger

Bedroom: Project Redecorate!

via white crystal castle

Bedroom: Project Redecorate!

via tages anzeiger

Bedroom: Project Redecorate!

via from Scandinavia with love

Bedroom: Project Redecorate!

via tages anzeiger

Bedroom: Project Redecorate!

via milk magazine

Once the bedroom is finished, I’ll post before and after photos. Give me a few months… :)

In the interim, here are some inspiring bedrooms that I’ve pinned.

What rooms are you currently considering for a little redecorating? Or room? Have you started on your project yet?

You Might Also Like

44 Comments

• Reply silvina July 25, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Preciosa selección de ambientaciones, hermoso tu blog!! Saludos desde Argentina.

• Reply Igor July 25, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I love every inspiration here, Holly. I agree, rooms tend to need a facelift after a while. I did yesterday some minor redecoration in my bedroom by changing the decoration on the windowsill and it looks totally different now. Sometimes it’s really the little things.

• Reply Tracy A. July 25, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I love the photos of your inspiration rooms! We are refiguring our upstairs rooms – moving my studio area up from the basement – long awaited and eager for natural light. It’s very exciting to think about. I look forward to pictures of your completed room!

• Reply Cindy July 25, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I have several rooms/projects that are in progress….and taking way too long. Bedroom, small powder room that is in mid stencil, 6 Craigslist pieces waiting for a facelift…..I hope to get something actually finished so I can post to my blog:). The only room that is finished is the nursery……lucky for my LO

• Reply Valentina July 25, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Hi Holly! The pictures that inspire you for your bedroom redecorate project are so cool!! I’m working for the restyling of my bedroom too and, most of all, of the room of my 5 years old child. So much fun!
    curious to see your before and after!
    hug
    vale

• Reply Laura M M Johnson July 25, 2012 at 2:33 pm

I absolutely love the pics you’ve gathered for this post. I am desperately trying to break free from the matchy matchy Pottery Barn circa 2004 look I’ve got going and this post has me INSPIRED! Thank you for all the fresh ideas you bring forward through your blog.

Now let’s talk playlists/stations…what are some favs?

For the evening “chill” set, have you checked out http://www.classicandjazz.net (French station)? They’ve got 4 terrific stations/mixes and I love them all!

• Reply Mariah July 25, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Does anybody know where to buy that grey crochet blanket in the White Crystal Castle?
    I saw it couple of times but nobody could help me.

Mariah

• Reply Callie Grayson July 25, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I can’t wait to see!
    I feel the same and in the middle of redoing my room too. I will have to look into the Bose system, thanks for recommending it. that’s a start to a great environment
    Xx
    Callie

• Reply Krystal July 25, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I love the all white look with hints of grey or gold! Just found your blog through Camille Styles and love it!
    xx
    ks

• Reply Roco-Coco July 25, 2012 at 3:54 pm

The guestroom at my parents’ was in major need of a facelift; so i offered to redecorate it, which im currently in the process of doing. Ive decided to have it function as both a guestroom and a small office. No, i didnt turn it into an office because I need somewhere to work when im there, honest 0: )

• Reply Ashley {GirlyObsessions} July 25, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I love your inspiration photos! How do you choose? I feel like I’m a bit of a commitment phobe when it comes to decorating my house. Expect for paint, that I will change at a moment’s notice. But actual decor and styling I keep pretty basic, even though I have a ton of ideas. I just can’t decide what to do and just end up leaving it fairly basic. I guess that’s my style: commitment-phobe-basic-but-colorful!

• Reply Patty July 25, 2012 at 4:39 pm

The sound system is a good idea….I know what you mean about creating a good vibe. Have fun with the reno!

• Reply Amy @ PaintWineRepeat July 25, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Great inspiration photos. Would love to see before photos to see what you are working with! What kind of Bose sound system did you get?

• Reply carolina - patagonia gifts July 25, 2012 at 5:18 pm

the first bedroom is my favorite. specially loving the lighting. have a beautiful day, darling!

caroline @ patagonia

• Reply Felicitas July 25, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Hi! So true that sometimes we have to invest in an energy change, not only furniture or decor. And music is a great way! Colors may be another way, inspiring pictures, or fresh flowers. I’m working in an art wall for my living room. All the best in your bedroom project!

• Reply Amaia July 25, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Me and my boyfriend are moving to a new flat in September and can’t wait to redecorate it!

• Reply JUURI July 25, 2012 at 6:32 pm

My bedroom too! Exactly exactly, these pics are perfect inspiration for what I want to do! Thank you!

• Reply Lisanne van de Klift July 25, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Very inspiring! Beautiful pictures!

• Reply Emma July 25, 2012 at 7:54 pm

These all look so calming and peaceful! I think I need to make my bedroom into more of a sanctuary.. I love the wall with the geometric shapes!

• Reply Inge July 25, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Just like you: our own bedroom needs a huge makeover! One day I painted 3 walls in a deep red with light grey hues… :) Didn’t know what came over me to think that would look great, because it doesn’t. That’s probably the most stupid thing I’ve ever done interior-wise. And now I just don’t get to the point to start repainting the whole room. I’d wish it was more like a sanctuary, just like you said in your post! It has to be like that but it isn’t. The pictures you posted look calming & great! Just like a bedroom has to be! :)
    x Inge

• Reply Barbra Ignatiev July 25, 2012 at 10:21 pm

That animal wall-hanging is clutch. For us youthful sophisticates out there!

I put pasted up homemade wallpaper from a bunch of 8×10 printed pages. Made a repeat toile pattern of mermaids and sea creatures. Wanted the nautical sexy feel. Was just enough to create some interest in the room. Still a work in process! Will have to blog about that.

Thanks for the inspiration.

• Reply Fanny Harms July 25, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I love, love, love the white one!

• Reply the chronic utilitarian July 26, 2012 at 1:07 am

these are gorgeous shot of bedroom inspiration, holly.

the first one is actually nikole herriott’s bedroom::
    found here:

and here in the covet spread:

gorgeous, huh?

back in january, i painted orange walls to white and it changed the mood completely: http://thechronicutilitarian.blogspot.com/2012/01/cotton-candy.html

can’t wait to see what you do to yours!

• Reply the chronic utilitarian July 26, 2012 at 1:26 am

@Laura M M Johnson: thank you for that radio tip! super listening.

• Reply Jennifer C. July 26, 2012 at 2:31 am

Can’t wait to see the final results. I love the idea of the rustic background with the bleached out heart and that oh so fancy headboard!!

• Reply Xenia July 26, 2012 at 3:15 am

Hi Holly,
    Beautiful bedroom shots. I recognize the first one from on-line magazine Covet Garden. It belongs to Nikole from Herriot Grace.

• Reply Samira July 26, 2012 at 6:04 am

Wow!!! What great inspiration!!!!

• Reply Groves Interiors July 26, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Love the painted floorboards look, that’s what i’ve gone for in my own bedroom using an eggshell paint to give a matt look but still hard wearing enough for the bedroom. Teamed with a chunky cream rug to give the room warmth, perfect. Can’t wait to see your after pic!

• Reply Tess Kelly July 26, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I love the chairs as bedside tables idea!

• Reply Pedro Henrique July 26, 2012 at 5:18 pm

your blog is wonderful, I live in Brazil and found your blog on the internet, because I really liked working and studying architecture and decoration.

successful big kiss

• Reply Lindsey @ arkadian belle woods July 26, 2012 at 7:57 pm

I am in the process of trying to do the same thing! I can’t wait to see your before & afters!

• Reply Kelly July 27, 2012 at 9:18 am

I am currently redoing my bedroom too.! Bought a new bed last week, now eyeing off some lamps and waiting till it warms up to paint the walls and furniture. A new linen bedhead to come too when I can afford it. Good luck with yours! Can’t wait to see what you do. Kelly

• Reply stephanie @ Baba Souk July 27, 2012 at 9:09 pm

wow I love the street edge of these wall art!

• Reply Ada (new york) July 27, 2012 at 11:51 pm

I have been EYEBALLING my bedroom as well. Recently purchased a hanging chair (which I had been craving to have), and figured that would gear me full steam ahead to finish decorating …. but noooooo … not yet. I think I have have to declare myself ‘a client’ to give the bedroom it’s full attention.

Music does make such a HUGE difference! My alarm is set to birds singing., but I think I may enjoy it too much that this Snow White gal here isn’t getting up immediately :)

p.s. I have meaning to say … I LOVE THE NEW LOOK your blog now has!!!!

• Reply Rafael July 28, 2012 at 4:02 am

Good luck with the redecoration. I would be proud if your share the process with me.

• Reply Lauren Kellim July 29, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I am redecorating my bedroom too! I am loving the one from white crytle castle. I’m dying over that fantastic chandelier! I agree with some of the other commenters…. White walls set such a peaceful mood. I think I may also add a sound system to my design. Grea idea! Thanks Holly!

• Reply alena July 29, 2012 at 8:43 pm

The bedroom is often a forgotten room as we do not spend that much time in it… but its so important to have a relaxing room where to hide and feel good….
    i painted the ceiling in a profound warm dark blue and it gives a great atmosphere with my small diamond chandelier… the bedroom is actually the only room in my house which is not a big work in progress never finished ha ha… looking forward to see your new room!

• Reply Maggie July 30, 2012 at 5:14 am

Love the bedroom ideas! We have been tryig to figure out what we what to do in our bedroom and its so hard to agree!

I LOVE your blog!

• Reply Lucianna Samu July 31, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Lots to like here. I would love to see a few with some wall color. Best of luck with your new room.

• Reply Rebecca July 31, 2012 at 11:42 pm

I love the ornate bed in the 4th image!

• Reply Sandra August 1, 2012 at 1:01 pm

The pictures are really great! Thanks for the inspiration.
    I wish I could find a neat king size bed here in Germany. Just came home from a huge furniture store, but zero! This is really a pain!
    So I am curious what your room is gonna be like in the end:)

• Reply Abigailgarcia August 11, 2012 at 7:39 am

I’ve been behind on reading all the featured blogs but I an finally catching up!
    I love this blog. I definitely lack the “designing gene” and need all the tips I can get!

• Reply faux painting diva in Atlanta September 30, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I really love the accent walls in the photos, I especially love the distressed wall in via tages anzeiger.
    You can create this kind of effect fairly easily using several layers of “dirt colored” glazes applied vertically over a slight off white basecoat in satin finish, Let dry

For the heart shape apply sheetrock mud in the shape you want with a paint brush, about 1/4 inch thick. Don’t be fussy or overthink it, let some splatter on to surrounding areas

Then use a sea sponge to texture the mud, let it dry for several hours (can be 4-5) then knock it down with a mud knife – ever so slightly
    Apply a tea colored glaze to the heart area to give it a patina

This is not exactly the finish – but it shows the technique, the plaster is over metallic copper – a luscious effect in itself! http://www.janriley.com/texture%20over%20copper1.jpg

SEND US PICS!

• Reply Will - Dovcor Bathrooms October 9, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I love the heart on the wall above the bed. I had seen this photo on Pinterest but never known where it was from! I’m glad I not only found it but found some other interesting ideas too!