Books + Magazines, Shopping + Products, Travel

London Style Guide By Saska Graville

July 25, 2012

Love London? Visiting soon? This post is for you! Last night I stumbled across a most curious travel book while perusing Amazon called the London Style Guide authored by Londoner Saska Graville and published by Murdoch with photography by Jessica Reftel Evans & Martin Reftel of Amorfo Photography. It looked like such a lovely guide and definitely not ‘typical’ so I snapped it up in jiffy, ordering before retiring to bed.

London Style Guide By Saska Graville

To my surprise, this lovely guide arrived a few moments ago and as I flipped through it I couldn’t contain my excitement. Finally someone wrote a shopping, eating and sleeping guide for London that speaks 100% to my aesthetic and is free of blah blah tourist-y stops and those all too familiar recommendations that every book suggests. This guide is stylishly laid out (props to the book designer!), meticulously curated and beautifully, and I mean beautifully, shot. I love the “Meet the Londoner section” with 18 interviews of shop and cafe owners, showcasing their favorite things to see in London.

I highly suggest picking up a copy because if you intend to go to London anytime soon, you simply MUST own this guide. Even if you don’t intend to go, this book is still a lovely one to own because through it you can feel like you’ve traveled and there are all sorts of lovely things to see and read along with links to places you can look up online. It is available for download here or you can buy a hard copy in the UK here or in the US here. There is even a digital version available on iTunes which I’m going to investigate because having this guide on my iPhone would totally rock for my next trip back to London. Would you like to take a quick look with me?

London Style Guide By Saska Graville

London Style Guide By Saska Graville

London Style Guide By Saska Graville

London Style Guide By Saska Graville

London Style Guide By Saska Graville

About the author: Saska Graville has worked as a writer and editor for magazines and newspapers for 20+ years in London and Sydney. She was former editor of New Woman magazine in Australia then the features editor of The Sun-Herald newspaper in Sydney. Later, she relocated back to her native London as deputy editor of Red magazine and currently is a UK travel correspondent for The Sun-Herald.

Now I’m more excited than ever to return to London this Fall!

(images: holly becker for decor8)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Amaia July 25, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Looks really interesting! I’m thinking about getting it even if I’ve been living in London for a year now :)

• Reply Jessica @shimmerkai July 25, 2012 at 5:50 pm

What a beautiful book! The outside reminds me of a travel journal…

• Reply Corrisande July 25, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Arr… I am going to London soon indeed, and this sounds so lovely…!

• Reply caroline @trend-daily July 25, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I have this on order too-it looks so beautiful. With London on my doorstep, I don’t explore it nearly enough, so it will be very well used! :-)

• Reply Lisa July 25, 2012 at 6:43 pm

When I’m not visiting London,.am obsessed with guidebooks about London–thank you for making me aware of this one!

• Reply Inge July 25, 2012 at 7:50 pm

It also reminded me of a travel journal – maybe that would have been also a cute idea to get a journalling-part into this book (where the owner of the book can jot down ideas, thoughts and his/her adventures in London)!

But this book is on my wish list since I’ll be going to London in November this year!! Last year we also went to London in November and I was whining to my hubby to see something else and not so tourist-y… but we ended up being the tourist like everybody else. :) This year has to be different, thanks to this book! ;)

I’ll definitely buy this one, it looks amazing! So great of you to share this book with us Holly!
    Wishing you a great week, Inge x

• Reply WanderChow July 25, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Wow, this looks truly amazing! Love it! Promptly added to my wish list. Never been to Europe but planning for possible trip next summer. Would love to visit Scandinavia, so I’m currently going down a rabbit hole of any Scandinavian thing I can find out there…blogs, books, etc. Would love suggestions!

• Reply Akaleistar July 26, 2012 at 12:03 am

It looks delightful!

• Reply Zoelee July 26, 2012 at 12:23 am

I got this book for my birthday and love it :) I live in London, but still love looking through it.

• Reply Helen July 26, 2012 at 12:36 am

Looks awesome, I might have to get a copy. Even as a native Londoner it looks like a great read!

• Reply Laura K Aiken July 26, 2012 at 2:03 am

Hi Holly, I would love to travel to London! I can see where that book would be the next best thing. Isn ‘t it amazing how we come across these wonderful things all of a sudden. Ah, the internet!

• Reply Jo July 26, 2012 at 2:27 am

I’m in london now! So I guess I won’t get to set eyes on this book till later. I’m glad to see one of my absolute favorite corners of London (camden passage where Annie’s is, and that side of islington) made it into your snaps!

Although I did live here for a year, London has sososo many cute little shops tucked away in corners, it’s impossible to ever visit them all.

Semi-related, today whilst on the bus I passed a shop called “the souvenir gallery” and although that sounds totally touristy, it’s a shop far far, from the touristy beaten path. I can tell just by looking through the window has great home decor/stationary stuff, and I read everything is made by locally based artists! Can’t wait to check it out tomorrow. I wonder if it’s in the book.

• Reply Kylie @ All Things Lovely July 26, 2012 at 3:05 am

Oooh, I’m dying to get to London! Will look at the iTunes version so I can look now and whet my appetite!

• Reply Pink Ronnie July 26, 2012 at 4:10 am

It’s not often that travelling guides are so beautifully done, for sure. The photography looks just gorgeous. Thanks for the recommendation, Holly!
    Ronnie xo

• Reply Mark E Tisdale July 26, 2012 at 6:02 am

Oh London is absolutely my favorite place there is. I don’t know when I’ll get back but I needed no arm twisting to add this to my Amazon wish list. Sigh!

• Reply Lakshmi July 26, 2012 at 6:30 am

Great find and thanks for sharing, Holly. It’s going to come in handy as the family makes travel plans to London soon.

• Reply Ruzu July 26, 2012 at 8:14 am

I dream to go to London, the book looks very unique., thanks for your review, I have to buy it next month.

• Reply New City Magazine July 26, 2012 at 8:38 am

I love having a really nice thick book a with lots of pretty pictures in them on my coffee table… This book is definitely one of those! :)

• Reply Bröllopsfotograf Stockholm Annette Kongsmark July 26, 2012 at 9:28 am

just came across your blog – what an amazing site filled with inspiration.
    Thanks for sharing

• Reply sam July 26, 2012 at 9:57 am

Dear Holly,

What a wonderful tip! Had just been thinking yesterday we should venture out of the same old spots we visit each time we go to London, will definitely be ordering this for our trip to London in November. Love the pics you included in the post!

• Reply Amy @ PaintWineRepeat July 26, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Looks beautiful! I love guides with pretty pictures… looks like the perfect mix between art and function!

• Reply Elena July 26, 2012 at 4:43 pm

I’m writing a guide about Rome and I found this book really inspiring, Thank you for your post.

• Reply Erin July 26, 2012 at 5:13 pm

This is perfect! I’m going to Europe next fall so it’s the perfect time to start studying up on it and gathering places to visit! Thanks for sharing this beautiful book!

• Reply vicki archer July 26, 2012 at 5:20 pm

what a beautiful book…thank you for the recommendation… xv

• Reply Eleanor July 26, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Wow, the book looks gorgeous! I’ll be avoiding London until the Olympics are over, but after that this looks like a great read/guide.

• Reply Heidi E. July 26, 2012 at 6:56 pm

I saw this lovely book on an Anthropologie coffee table a few months ago, and made a mental note to purchase it–then promptly forgot. This will definitely come in handy for my upcoming trip!

• Reply Stacey July 26, 2012 at 7:34 pm

great coffee table addition even if I have no plans on visit London soon. though i would love to!:-)

• Reply Barbra Ignatiev July 26, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Oooer simply lovely. I hope I get to visit London again soon.

The size seems just right, too!

• Reply Laura Gaskill July 27, 2012 at 12:48 am

Fun! I love that there are so many more creative + small press options for guidebooks these days, don’t you? Pia Jane Bijkerk’s guides to Paris and Amsterdam immediately come to mind. The big guides like Frommer’s, Lonely Planet, etc., etc., are great for an overall picture, maps, and things like that, but for those of us interested in handmade goods, independent shops and things like that, I have found tons of inspiration in more personal guidebooks. This London Style Guide is totally going on my wish list now!

Oh, and how awesome is it to be able to have digital travel guides now!? That is such a revelation, esp. for people like me, who are known to pack more books than clothes! Ha! xo Laura

• Reply Stephanie July 27, 2012 at 1:07 am

I LOVE London!!! Actually that’s where my husband asked me to marry him.

• Reply Sofia July 27, 2012 at 3:08 am

This sounds great, and the photos are gorgeous! Could you give an example of what tips they share in the book? Do they share different and “unknown” attractions, or just the same attractions but in a different way?
    Or is it more about sharing shopping and eating tips like boutiques and restaurants?

• Reply Maria @ All Things Luxurious July 27, 2012 at 6:54 am

Wow, this looks like so much fun! I don’t know when I am going to get to London, but I am going to buy this now anyway just to take visual vacation! ;-) Thanks so much for sharing!

• Reply anastasia July 27, 2012 at 7:43 am

oh I love the look of this book!!! want a copy for sure!

• Reply Tatyana July 27, 2012 at 8:09 am

the photos of the book makes my heart beating high…and create a great desire to have the hard copy..start the day with reading several pages in the morning..
    unfortunatly, they don’t deliver in Russia.(

• Reply July 27, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Looks like a great book. Even though I don’t have any plans to travel to London any time soon I think I will order the book fro future reference if I do go. I have never been disappointed my any book you feature on your blog.

• Reply Lexy | The Proper Pinwheel July 27, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Well, thanks for sharing this! I’m off to go and buy it and pretend I’m in London. The contents look fabulous. :) Love your blog!

• Reply Jessica July 28, 2012 at 3:15 am

LOVE this. I’ll have to see where I can pick up a copy of my own!

xo, Jessica

• Reply Debra July 28, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Looks like some great reading. Thanks.

• Reply Alexandra July 28, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Gosh, what a lovely book! I sooo need to get this! :)

• Reply Chrystina July 28, 2012 at 6:30 pm

This book looks incredible! You’re right – those touristy books really get to me, but with all the pictures and the scrapbooking-y feel of this book, it looks great. I’m definitely going to have to consider buying this if I make a trip over there…

• Reply Carol Maryott July 28, 2012 at 9:36 pm

After seeing the opening ceremonies for the Olympics in London , I now really have London on my mind. Thank you for sharing this Holly.

-Dreaming of the Thames.

• Reply Anna Rosete July 29, 2012 at 4:43 am

wonderful site. i’ve been following you for years.

• Reply Kim B. July 29, 2012 at 10:02 am

Another fun book that I just used is “Tea & Cake London” by Zena Alkayat. It’s another one over which you can just swoon as imagining yourself at all these charming spots she’s found. The photos are luscious, and she introduces some spots you would never find on your own (all the big hotel classics are there too, of course, along with Hummingbird Bakery etc.). One warning, Love Bakery in Chelsea, which she has in her book doesn’t exist any more as I found out when trying to go there last Saturday morning. : (

Another book that I saw in a couple of places that would be interesting is the London Design Guide. They have a website, and you can check it out there. It might be more duplicative of Saska’s book, so check it out and see what you think.

Just spent 5 days there pre-Olympics and already pining to go back!

• Reply Sally July 30, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I’ve been meaning to order this book for a while, I live in London but need to get into the habit of exploring more! But the shop Annie’s, in the third picture is just around the corner from me, and I absolutely love it – make sure you visit, it’s beautiful and there are loads of other gems in the area!

• Reply Anna @ Creative Mischief July 30, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I just bought this book for my friend for her Birthday. It’s absolutely fab! I loved it because it’s so like Sibella Court’s “The Stylist’s Guide to NYC’. I can’t get enough of these books :-)

• Reply Magda July 31, 2012 at 5:10 pm

This guide book looks amazing! I am just going to buy it because of its beautiful pictures – thanks for the inspiration!

• Reply Elena Ineichen August 2, 2012 at 12:19 pm

This book looks incredible, but did anyone notice that the link for “you can buy a hard copy of the book in the UK here” is not active? Anyone know where I can get one when I’m in London in October? Thanks a bunch!

• Reply Traveling Mama August 2, 2012 at 8:27 pm

We just got back from Greece, but just prior we were in London and came across this book. There was NO WAY we were leaving the store without it! It is gorgeous and I highly recommend it!

• Reply Elena Ineichen August 2, 2012 at 9:51 pm

@Traveling Mama: Hi Travelling Mama, do you remember the name of the store that you found the book in?

• Reply Gemma August 26, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Just purchased my iPad copy. Over there in December ! Finally a book without the tourist trash x

• Reply GUiKP September 18, 2012 at 2:47 am

I hope to see a mention of the stylish Bangla City in Brick Lane in the next edition.

• Reply Samantha Howe October 5, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Oh wow this is totally making me homesick, I’m thinking about buying it so I can keep up on what’s happening in my hometown!!!

• Reply Heather October 26, 2012 at 11:11 pm

Shouldn’t have seen this post. This book is now on my Amazon wish list!

• Reply Bröllopsfotograf Stockholm JNS Vision February 24, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Really nice book! Makes me want to go to London right now, never been there. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Jeremy October 27, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Very nice.. all the travel guides should be written this way