Events + Markets

August 1, 2012

Hello decor8 readers! This is Jillian with another Shopgirl Visits column. Today I’m taking you with me on a market visit that you’re bound to love. Have you heard about The Finders Keepers?

The Finders Keepers

This design and art market supports emerging designers, artists & musicians. The markets, which were started 3 years ago by Sarah Thornton and Brooke Johnston, are held bi-annually in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne and are a huge hit.

The Finders Keepers

My own introduction to the markets was a bit circuitous. I saw some of Kylie Johnson’s ceramics on Pia’s blog a few years ago and I was enchanted. I bought some of her work and soon started following her blog, Instinct and Grace. Kylie mentioned on the blog that she’d be in Sydney attending the Finders Keepers. I’d not been to Finders Keepers before so I decided to have a look see and whilst there, I found the Paperboat Press stall. I summoned up the courage to approach Kylie and I’ve been an annual visitor to the market since then, camera always in hand. You can see some of my earlier Finders Keepers images here on decor8 from 2010.

The Finders Keepers

The Sydney Winter Finders Keepers were held on a cold, wet windy day in Sydney. I put on my boots, picked up my camera and firmly placed my ‘Shopgirl visits for decor8’ hat on my head and made my way over to the lovely Carriageworks building in Eveleigh.

The Finders Keepers

The Sydney Finders Keepers is always a bustling event. What a better way to wile a way a wet Saturday than with a spot of shopping? The beauty of the markets is their ever changing nature. The line-up of stall holders varies with every market so you never quite know what to expect.

What did I find there? A beguiling mix of old favourites and some new discoveries. Some of my old favourites were there – Paperboat Press, Attia, the Storybook Rabbit and Bespoke Press.

The Finders Keepers

And my new discoveries? The spare ceramics designed by Haydn Youlley, the funky Las Vegas style lighting from Fromage La Rue, some beautiful furniture from Ply Candy and a great pop up stationery shop, the Super Cool.

The Finders Keepers

Did you see anything in my photos that caught your eye?

To check for upcoming markets and stallholder line-up you can check the Finders Keepers website.

See you again later this month with another Shopgirl Visits! – Jillian

(images/text: jillian leiboff)

• Reply kass hall August 1, 2012 at 1:38 pm

as an Aussie creative, I can tell you the Finders Keepers is hands down the best market in Australia. Love it!!

• Reply kass hall August 1, 2012 at 1:39 pm

As an Aussie creative, I can confirm: Finders Keepers is the best market in Australia. Always come out of those with a lighter wallet!

• Reply Lakshmi August 1, 2012 at 1:41 pm

My favorites: the vintage tea cups and the colorful wrapping papers.

• Reply Ruth Crean August 1, 2012 at 1:52 pm

That market looks really amazing! I’ve been doing craft markets for nearly 5 years and I love it ( it changed my whole life and allowed me to become self employed).
    I think it would be dangerous if I went shopping at that one, I would want to buy everything(including those giant letters!)

• Reply Gretel Girl August 1, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Such a fabulous market in the very cool Carriageworks! Photos are ace! Thanks jillian & decor8!

• Reply tinajo August 1, 2012 at 2:40 pm

That looks like a place where I´d LOVE to be – maybe one day..! :-)

• Reply Elena August 1, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I am so jealous! Want, want and want.

• Reply Maria August 1, 2012 at 3:24 pm

what a great market!!

• Reply Yna August 1, 2012 at 3:48 pm

What a wonderful Market. Cool location. Amazing things.
    Must be dangerous to walk through…

• Reply Inge August 1, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Yes, the cloud broches of Paperboat Press caught mine… ;-) I immediately listed their website in my favourites. And what a fantastic market that looks! Wish I could be in Australia to experience it…

• Reply Maria @ All Things Luxurious August 1, 2012 at 5:19 pm

These photos are beautiful! Looks like an amazing experience. Thanks so much for bringing us along! ;-)

• Reply April Louise August 1, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Mr Fox and Mrs Rabbit are soo cute!

• Reply Chloe C August 1, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Loved the generous look at the market through your quantity/quality of the photos. Thanks!

I was particularly taken with the photo of the b&w photos – were those printed on the canvas, or a regular print just mounted on a stretched canvas?
    I really liked the light shining through. ?Chloe

• Reply Heather August 1, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Oh my goodness. what a yum post!
    So many beautiful things to see there.

Would anyone be able to tell me what the company / maker is called who make those beautiful leaf print cushions (the pitcure above the animal mask image)

I’d also love to find out the company name / maker name of the peeps who make the gorgeous lit lettering.

Thank you in advance.

• Reply Pretty Dandy Homewares August 2, 2012 at 12:05 am

Pretty much everything here caught my eye, so sad to realise it’s in Aus!

• Reply Jacqueline August 2, 2012 at 2:50 am

I had a stall at this market, and it was a wonderful experience – being able to meet other designers, and also the lovely visitors & customers! :)

• Reply Jillian Leiboff August 2, 2012 at 12:28 pm

@Chloe C:
    Hi Chloe,

the print was part of the Ply Candy display. It’s a light box with photo embedded in perspex. There is a link to their website in the text and they have a section on their products there.

• Reply Jillian Leiboff August 2, 2012 at 12:32 pm

The little letters were part of the Super Cool pop-up shop. Try the link to their website as they have an online store. The letters may be on sale there,

• Reply Jillian Leiboff August 2, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Hi Heather,

the cushions are by Maya Muse textiles. Here’s the link to their site

• Reply stephanie @ Baba Souk August 2, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Oh wowowow! looks soooo inspiring. Why do I live in Montreal! ;)

• Reply Oncle Hope August 3, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Oh how i want a market like that here in Europe, either Barcelona or Stockholm if i may choose ;) Absolutly a dream!

• Reply Desha Peacock August 3, 2012 at 12:09 pm

This event looks so amazing. I want to GO!! Gorgeous photos, too, really captures the essence of the event.

• Reply Chrystina August 3, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Bookmarked this. Just in case I ever end up in Australia. It looks INCREDIBLE, and dangerous for my wallet.

• Reply morgan August 3, 2012 at 6:57 pm

OH MY! I live for those neon letter signs!!

• Reply Heather August 5, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Thank you so much for both links Jillian. I really appreciate it.

• Reply Heather August 5, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Ps. I just checked out your blog… it’s really lovely. Beautifully crafted photography and interesting content too.
    I’ll definitely be following from now on.

• Reply Lyndsay Martin August 6, 2012 at 8:29 am

WOW! lovely post Holly! thanks so much I love to see emerging artists and their wares,, Australia has some very talented young people !

• Reply Jillian Leiboff August 6, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Thanks so much Heather. It’s always nice to have new readers,

• Reply Barbra Ignatiev August 6, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I like those vintagey-looking bunny plates and the animal mask cards. Zoinks now I want to draw cute animals!

Finders Keepers looks like a happy place to be :)

• Reply Esther August 7, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Oh, this post makes me so greedy! I especially like the cups, beeootiful. I wish I could’ve been there.

• Reply Ellen Sofie August 7, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Omg, who is making the fabulous drawings on the very first picture of this post?? I tried looking trough the list over artist at, but no luck..

From Ellen Sofie – Norway

• Reply riyo August 7, 2012 at 8:05 pm

one of the best markets in australia!
    enjoyed the atmosphere in the carriageworks as much as i enjoyed shopping, meeting people and having fun. it is such a vast space so each stalls seem to have enough space to spread their creative display.

• Reply PriscilaPetersDecor August 7, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Oh wow. This market is a dream world! I am so so inspiredjust looking at all those stunning items…

• Reply Tricia Holda August 8, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Wow, those Aussies sure know how to do it! What an AMAZING fair, all around. Everything is so visually edible…wow!

• Reply elise August 8, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Who makes those wonderful bunny plates and porcelain? I want some!!!

• Reply Kat August 8, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Oh thank you for this tour of the market, I have heard of Finders keepers and always wanted to see what it’s like. There’s some totally yummy things! I wondered who made the blouse that is hanging beneath I sign saying Alice?
    The storybook rabbit have beautiful beautiful things. Oh it’s making me wish I could visit for real Jillian!
    Kat x

• Reply Kat August 8, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Ps, just been across to your blog and found the answer about the top(Alice nightingale) there Jillian, thank you!

• Reply Jillian Leiboff August 10, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Hi Elise,

I’m pretty sure the bunny plates are from Storybook Rabbit. There’s a link to their etsy store in the text,

• Reply Jillian Leiboff August 10, 2012 at 11:06 pm

@Ellen Sofie:

Hi Ellen,

the drawings are by Emma Leonard. Her website is

• Reply Gillian August 11, 2012 at 6:44 am

Love it…any chance of starting up in little old Perth wa?

• Reply Seaweed & Raine August 12, 2012 at 2:30 am

Yes, yes, and yes! The double sided gift wrap has the most marvellous colours on it. Then there are the cushions (and I think perhaps a table runner) with the knotted rope print, and finally the industrial letters that light up – they are super cool.
    I’ve heard about your blog quite a bit before, but this is my first visit. Don’t worry – I’ll be back! :)

• Reply Sofia August 13, 2012 at 3:48 am

Looks like a lovely market, they have so many nice ones in Sydney. Love the plate with the rabbit in the middle!

• Reply Dulce August 13, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Thank you for sharing! Wish I lived there and could go and get lots of things, I loved the parcel packing kit, it’s lovely!

• Reply Marusa August 14, 2012 at 2:37 pm

oh my, lovely things… the little shy rabbit is so cute I can hardly stand it, thanks for the link to the shop. and all the rest is gorgeous too, what a great market! i think i need to start planning my next vacation ;)

• Reply Kelly August 14, 2012 at 7:40 pm

This is so fun! So wish there was something similar in the U.S. : )

• Reply Jillian Xenia August 17, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I reallly need to go to one of these, i’m sure theres some like this in Canada. too cute

• Reply Tracy A. August 17, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Oh! I want to go there!

• Reply SteelPetalPress August 20, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Jillian, you’ve done a beautiful job documenting this market! It’s chock full of handmade wonderfulness!

I’m sure you must have heard of Renegade Craft Fair, which takes place in several locations, but it was started in Chicago and is now celebrating it’s 10th season! The summer Chicago RCF is coming up (Sept 8-9th) and is always the biggest and the best.

You should come!! Maybe I’ll see you there :)

Shayna, Steel Petal Press

• Reply Jillian August 23, 2012 at 7:15 am

I’d love to be there in Chicago if only my day job in Sydney would allow.

Now if someone could suggest something wonderful for me to photograph for the shopgirl column when I’m in NYC October 8-13, that would be just great.

• Reply decor8 August 23, 2012 at 11:41 am

Jillian – can you shoot Michele Varian? She is lovely!

• Reply Shayna SteelPetalPress August 24, 2012 at 3:06 pm

You should check out the Brooklyn Flea!

It’s part vintage, part handmade. And it’s held every weekend throughout the year. In the summer it’s held at an outdoor venue, and then it moves in doors for the winter. It will probably still be outside at the time you’re there in October.

more info on their wesbite:

Be sure to stop by Kate Durkin’s booth.
    She’s a very talented artist and an old friend of mine from high school: :)

• Reply Jillian Leiboff August 24, 2012 at 9:59 pm

@Shayna SteelPetalPress:

Thanks for the ideas.

• Reply Cathy August 26, 2012 at 1:28 am

Look so fun! Was there any furniture at this event?

• Reply Simone D August 26, 2012 at 6:38 am

Oh wow, I am so out of touch. I didn’t even know finders was on. I get so excited when I see creative talent like this. I love Kylie’s ceramics- adorable!

• Reply Jillian Leiboff August 27, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Hi Cathy,

ply candy had some furniture ( but they were the only ones at this Finders Keepers.

• Reply Megan August 28, 2012 at 9:25 am

I’m beyond smitten with this market…I’m head over heels with so many of the items. The geoid style brooches in resin really caught my eye. If I ever find myself on a plane to Australia, I think I know the first place I’ll visit!!
    Beautiful photos!
    XO Megan

• Reply Naomi September 3, 2012 at 5:50 am

Too many to name them all but I love the ceramic LOVE hearts. Thanks for putting me onto this market as this is right up my alley. Cheers