DIY

DIY: Spray Paint Plastic Animals

August 24, 2012

I found this cute idea and had to share it quickly because painting wooden, ceramic and plastic animals has been popping up here and there throughout the years but I’ve not found a dedicated post yet to it with so many lovely examples. Until now! This was posted on the Living Gazette.

DIY: Spray Paint Plastic Animals

What a fun and easy DIY project – all you need is a little paint and patience, though not much of both! My kind of project. Spray and go! I imagine you could even use nail lacquer on the plastic animals… Anyway, have fun with this and see if you can find some spare animals laying around the toy box. NOTE: Just make sure the little one doesn’t chew on them after you’ve decided to repurpose toys into decor items! Eek.

Have you ever tried this idea? How did it turn out for you?

(images: the every girl and glitter guide)

You Might Also Like

23 Comments

• Reply Ashley {GirlyObsessions} August 24, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Love this idea! Spray paint is the ULTIMATE home decorating tool!!!

• Reply Amber August 24, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Hi! Thanks for sharing! I saw this over at Apartment Therapy and have loved it since :) http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/best-kids-parties-blue-white-horses-my-party-174861

• Reply Karena August 24, 2012 at 4:45 pm

This sounds so fun and what a transformation on those little dinos!!

xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena
    2012 Artists Series

• Reply rosaundlimone August 24, 2012 at 4:52 pm

We love this idea and there are a lot of plastic animals in our kids room, maybe we can do this little project together with the kids (we are sure they will love it too).
    Kindest regards und happy weekend
    rosa & limone

• Reply Bikbik & Roro August 24, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Hee hee.. they are cute, aren’t they? I’ve done quite a few as custom orders and have had some in my shop. They do take a fair bit of patience and fiddling! Here’s one: https://www.etsy.com/listing/89727737/minty-blue-dinosaur :)

• Reply Monsterscircus August 24, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Just love! I have almost spray painted our whole house with the copper paint, one my husband and dog, still have their natural colour ;-) enjoy the weekend anstå Thanks for the inspiration

• Reply Sara August 24, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Beautiful idea!! I have to try it out <3
    It's been a long time since I haven't visited your blog and I have to say your new design is gorgeous! I'm eager to look up to all the posts I have missed! Keep up the good work!
    xo

• Reply Samira August 24, 2012 at 6:10 pm

you are back!! what a super great idea!! will most certainly do this!!!

• Reply Yolonda August 24, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Great idea!

• Reply Yna August 24, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Tomorrow I buy gold spray paint. Then nothing is safe.
    XO Yna

• Reply Karen Herløv Horte August 24, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I painted a large porcelain bear. First time finish did not go well because I put too thick a coat of paint on and it crackled completely but a sand and second attempt produced a really nice result: http://wp.me/p16m3j-JR (there’s 2 projects in this post – the bear is the second one)

• Reply Decofairy August 25, 2012 at 9:32 am

I love the idea…check my try here: http://decofairy.wordpress.com/2012/07/13/rubber-duck-ja/
    Kisses,
    Decofairy

• Reply Nuit August 25, 2012 at 6:27 pm

omg how brilliant!!!

• Reply Samira August 27, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I saw this before and I like it a lot.
    Meaby I can start my own farm with plastic toys, instead of real animals ;)

Have a nice week!

• Reply Jen Sudhaus August 27, 2012 at 6:59 pm

This is such a wonderful and creative idea. Its so simple but really changes the look of the animals so drastically. Really turns cheap to chic.

• Reply Frau Hibbel August 28, 2012 at 11:27 am

What a great idea! We have so many dinosaurs at home. I could ask my little son if mom could have one of his. I´m sure he would love the dramatic look. Which child has a golden one? :O)

• Reply dagny bjorg from FEEL INSPIRED August 28, 2012 at 11:53 am

Love this. I did a similar post to this one for another blog that i blog for the other day. So fun

• Reply Michelle August 28, 2012 at 12:40 pm

For my son´s 8th birthday party I made neon spray painted dinosaurs to decorate his cake and candy table and it was so much fun. My favourite piece was a red triceratops that I used as a cake topper with all 8 candles going down its back. The kids loved it!

• Reply how2home August 28, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Love the gold spray paint animals…..so unique and cute!

• Reply Sarah Johsnon from eatsleepandbuycheap August 28, 2012 at 9:54 pm

What a cute and easy idea! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply l o v e l y t h i n g s September 3, 2012 at 4:06 am

so funny…but you’re right…animals, dinosaurs being painted are showing up everywhere. While I can’t say I’ve jumped on this band wagon completely, I know it’s getting in my head because we moved recently and when I was unpacking a box with board games, the Monopoly game had spilled into the packing box. I collected all the Monopoly tokens and a few weeks later I painted them in neon pink. I displayed them in my sons room on a window ledge…they look pretty cool, especially since his room is painted black…it’s my current post!

• Reply Deniz September 6, 2012 at 10:06 am

what a nice and fun idea! I will do it at my first chance :)
    By the way last year I found one more good DIY with toys; Toy mirror
    If you want to check out;

• Reply Allison sturgill September 7, 2012 at 5:45 pm

What a great way to save some toys form either your childhood or your kids and make them a little more easy to display.