DIY: Spray Paint Plastic Animals

I found this cute idea and had to share it quickly because painting wooden, ceramic and plastic animals has been popping up here and there throughout the years but I’ve not found a dedicated post yet to it with so many lovely examples. Until now! This was posted on the Living Gazette.

DIY Animals

What a fun and easy DIY project – all you need is a little paint and patience, though not much of both! My kind of project. Spray and go! I imagine you could even use nail lacquer on the plastic animals… Anyway, have fun with this and see if you can find some spare animals laying around the toy box. NOTE: Just make sure the little one doesn’t chew on them after you’ve decided to repurpose toys into decor items! Eek.

Have you ever tried this idea? How did it turn out for you?

(images: the every girl and glitter guide)

Posted by decor8 in diy on August 24, 2012

1. Ashley {GirlyObsessions} commented
    August 24th, 2012 at 4:05pm

Love this idea! Spray paint is the ULTIMATE home decorating tool!!!
    Ashley {GirlyObsessions}´s last blog post ..Got 50 Shades withdraw? I have the cure. Part 2.

2. Amber commented
    August 24th, 2012 at 4:24pm

Hi! Thanks for sharing! I saw this over at Apartment Therapy and have loved it since :) http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/best-kids-parties-blue-white-horses-my-party-174861

3. Karena commented
    August 24th, 2012 at 4:45pm

This sounds so fun and what a transformation on those little dinos!!

xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena
    2012 Artists Series
    Karena´s last blog post ..2012 Artists Series Featuring San Diego Artist Harrison Howard

4. rosaundlimone commented
    August 24th, 2012 at 4:52pm

We love this idea and there are a lot of plastic animals in our kids room, maybe we can do this little project together with the kids (we are sure they will love it too).
    Kindest regards und happy weekend
    rosa & limone
    rosaundlimone´s last blog post ..Der Frage-Foto-Freitag

5. Bikbik & Roro commented
    August 24th, 2012 at 4:56pm

Hee hee.. they are cute, aren’t they? I’ve done quite a few as custom orders and have had some in my shop. They do take a fair bit of patience and fiddling! Here’s one: https://www.etsy.com/listing/89727737/minty-blue-dinosaur :)

6. Monsterscircus commented
    August 24th, 2012 at 5:08pm

Just love! I have almost spray painted our whole house with the copper paint, one my husband and dog, still have their natural colour ;-) enjoy the weekend anstå Thanks for the inspiration
    Monsterscircus´s last blog post ..Fusion mellem IKEA & Holmegaard

7. Sara commented
    August 24th, 2012 at 5:58pm

Beautiful idea!! I have to try it out <3
    It's been a long time since I haven't visited your blog and I have to say your new design is gorgeous! I'm eager to look up to all the posts I have missed! Keep up the good work!
    xo
    Sara´s last blog post ..Figuier addict

8. Samira commented
    August 24th, 2012 at 6:10pm

you are back!! what a super great idea!! will most certainly do this!!!
    Samira´s last blog post ..Things That Make Me Smile

9. Yolonda commented
    August 24th, 2012 at 6:56pm

Great idea!
    Yolonda´s last blog post ..JUST IN

10. Yna commented
    August 24th, 2012 at 7:20pm

Tomorrow I buy gold spray paint. Then nothing is safe.
    XO Yna
    Yna´s last blog post ..Foto Frage Freitag

11. Karen Herløv Horte commented
    August 24th, 2012 at 9:50pm

I painted a large porcelain bear. First time finish did not go well because I put too thick a coat of paint on and it crackled completely but a sand and second attempt produced a really nice result: http://wp.me/p16m3j-JR (there’s 2 projects in this post – the bear is the second one)

12. Decofairy commented
    August 25th, 2012 at 9:32am

I love the idea…check my try here: http://decofairy.wordpress.com/2012/07/13/rubber-duck-ja/
    Kisses,
    Decofairy
    Decofairy´s last blog post ..Ένα βρεφικό δωμάτιο χωρίς ταμπού!

13. Nuit commented
    August 25th, 2012 at 6:27pm

omg how brilliant!!!
    Nuit´s last blog post ..Saturdance!

14. Samira commented
    August 27th, 2012 at 12:28pm

I saw this before and I like it a lot.
    Meaby I can start my own farm with plastic toys, instead of real animals ;)

Have a nice week!

15. Jen Sudhaus commented
    August 27th, 2012 at 6:59pm

This is such a wonderful and creative idea. Its so simple but really changes the look of the animals so drastically. Really turns cheap to chic.

Jen Sudhaus´s last blog post ..Mini Grilled Cheez & Tomato Soup

16. Frau Hibbel commented
    August 28th, 2012 at 11:27am

What a great idea! We have so many dinosaurs at home. I could ask my little son if mom could have one of his. I´m sure he would love the dramatic look. Which child has a golden one? :O)
    Frau Hibbel´s last blog post ..Home sweet Home {oder die Wohnungsfremdguckerin}

17. dagny bjorg from FEEL INSPIRED commented
    August 28th, 2012 at 11:53am

Love this. I did a similar post to this one for another blog that i blog for the other day. So fun
    dagny bjorg from FEEL INSPIRED´s last blog post ..AUTUMN ROOM LOVE

18. Michelle commented
    August 28th, 2012 at 12:40pm

For my son´s 8th birthday party I made neon spray painted dinosaurs to decorate his cake and candy table and it was so much fun. My favourite piece was a red triceratops that I used as a cake topper with all 8 candles going down its back. The kids loved it!

19. how2home commented
    August 28th, 2012 at 6:46pm

Love the gold spray paint animals…..so unique and cute!
    how2home´s last blog post ..How to: Banana Chocolate chips muffin

20. Sarah Johsnon from eatsleepandbuycheap commented
    August 28th, 2012 at 9:54pm

What a cute and easy idea! Thanks for sharing!

21. l o v e l y t h i n g s commented
    September 3rd, 2012 at 4:06am

so funny…but you’re right…animals, dinosaurs being painted are showing up everywhere. While I can’t say I’ve jumped on this band wagon completely, I know it’s getting in my head because we moved recently and when I was unpacking a box with board games, the Monopoly game had spilled into the packing box. I collected all the Monopoly tokens and a few weeks later I painted them in neon pink. I displayed them in my sons room on a window ledge…they look pretty cool, especially since his room is painted black…it’s my current post!
    l o v e l y t h i n g s´s last blog post ..pink

22. Deniz commented
    September 6th, 2012 at 10:06am

what a nice and fun idea! I will do it at my first chance :)
    By the way last year I found one more good DIY with toys; Toy mirror
    If you want to check out;

23. Allison sturgill commented
    September 7th, 2012 at 5:45pm

What a great way to save some toys form either your childhood or your kids and make them a little more easy to display.